Special Ops Paintball: "Snipers" - Special Ops Paintball

• (20 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Snipers" read it if u have an opion on snipers Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#271 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• To conquer fear, you must become fear.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Urban Ninja

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

By technical terms, there has never really been a true paintball sniper. You can have the nost tricked out gun in the world; 2000x scope, 30" barrel, umm... super enemy detector gear, and an "invisibility cloak", whatever. While some things will help(all those i listed are ludicrous of course), a paintball "sniper" does not define himsellf by his gear, but by the skills he implements. As such, the role of sniper is key, and a very good thing to have on your team. The "sniper" can effectively eliminate many opponents and even hold down a whole side on his own, so long as he does his job right. They also have their nicknames like "Ghost Flanker" and others, so its not necessarily the military style sniper role, but an adapted version for paintball, where several of the same virtues hold true. Patience is key, along with stealth. A good sniper, paintball or otherwise, should be able to effectively hide, take out an enemy, and not give away his position even if there are 5 other guys who were with the guy you got out. "snipers" also provide a psychological impact. Sniper fear can set in quickly after your buddy get pasted across the mask out of no where. In the military, snipers provide a great tactical advantage in that at great distances, they can provide accurate support and effectively eliminate enemies, and in paintball, they just so happen to hide and eliminate players without being seen, minus the distance advantage that the military has. People can argue about paintball snipers not being snipers and yada yada yada... but fine then, call them "sneaky guy in the grass", "Camper kid", "that guy in the leaf suit" or my favorite "Paintball Ninja" The point is, the idea of a sniper, the skills one would have and use, are very useful in paintball, and although many people believe they are these "snipers", the few that are give great credit to the position and title of being a paintball sniper. or paintball ninja. whichever you prefer to call it.

Urban Ninja :D

#272 User is offline   HOTCH 

• ^i make my own avatars^
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hotch

Posted 01 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

i think snipers are overrated for a bunch of reasons.

1) all the 11 year old kids who think they are bad buttocks because they call themselves "snipers" and brag about how they can place headshots from 400 meters away with their super cool modded 50 inch barrel spyder.

2) players dont understand what a paintball sniper is. just because you shoot far doesnt mean your a sniper, backmen in speedball shoot far but they are not snipers. a paintball sniper must combine patience and stealth and ambush their target.

3) a sniper is over-glorified. end of story. in most paintball battles, a true sniper may get 2 kills before his trap is spooked and he gets lit up by all the more noble, default, and practical positions
Hotch
98 custom with 20" smartparts barrel
limited edition white invert mini
mkx alias rocket launcher

Total Resistance
- demolition

PbN feedback +4/-0

#273 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:17 PM

There is truth in that, while many claim to be snipers, few are. people want to be snipers because they think that it would be awesome or something like that, and along that path, start doing non-sniper style stuff, then move onto become a saber or a dagger or a broadsword or whatever. Especially new people, they have played a bunch of CoD or done something that makes sniping totally alluring. But being a sniper really is all about patience and stealth, and for those out there who are true paintball snipers, those who can hold down 1 half of the field by firing only 3 rounds, those who can instill the fear that only a hardened and trained sniper can create, they are the ones who arent bragging about all their skills. Why? bcause its almost a mindset. If you are loud and braggy, then you will not make a great sniper, becasue these are not the attributes one needs to be a sniper. If you are bragging all the time and loud and noisy and such off the field, then the chance are that your "sniper skills" on the field will not be so great. I accept that you can brag and be noisy off field, and still be a sniper, but im not sure hoiw common that is. There are always outliers in any data set. I think that people think snipers are over rated because so many so called "snipers" that they meet think their 21 inch barrel and "that one time i headshot the guy across the field" and etc make them a sniper. But it doesnt. it is all about the mindset, the skill of patience and stealth, and the pure determination it takes to control yourself in those situations that only a sniper will get into, that create the true sniper. I would love to be able to be a true sniper, as of yet, i have not quite accomplished that, but i can understand why people would think that all snipers are a bunch of noobs who camp. Just hoping i may be able to set things straight. And let me give a shout out to all the true snipers and those who truly want to be snipers that may chance upon this thread, you guys are what make the position what it truly is. Don't stop doing what you do best because people don't believe you exist. Plus, if they don't think you can be there, itll be way easier to take'em out.

Furtim, Patienta, Veneratio
Urban Ninja ;)

#274 User is offline   songbird 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

View PostHOTCH, on Mar 1 2009, 03:48 PM, said:

3) a sniper is over-glorified. end of story. in most paintball battles, a true sniper may get 2 kills before his trap is spooked and he gets lit up by all the more noble, default, and practical positions

How is any position more "noble" than any other?

I have found that sniping works best at night games. That's where the fear factor comes in to its full potential.

#275 User is offline   HOTCH 

• ^i make my own avatars^
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hotch

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

View Postsongbird, on Mar 1 2009, 11:40 PM, said:

I have found that sniping works best at night games. That's where the fear factor comes in to its full potential.

Being more nobel is more of an original position. There were no positions when paintball first started. There were just well rounded players aka sabre.
I would be Hugh more scared of a dagger because they attack very quickly and at point blank range.
Hotch
98 custom with 20" smartparts barrel
limited edition white invert mini
mkx alias rocket launcher

Total Resistance
- demolition

PbN feedback +4/-0

#276 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• PipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

View PostHOTCH, on Mar 1 2009, 10:57 PM, said:

View Postsongbird, on Mar 1 2009, 11:40 PM, said:

Being more nobel is more of an original position. There were no positions when paintball first started. There were just well rounded players aka sabre.
I would be Hugh more scared of a dagger because they attack very quickly and at point blank range.

More original? Snipers started coming around in the civil war, and the master archer has always been a seperate postion. And yes, there were no positions, so you could say that todays sniper is just a modified saber, but the thing is, all the positions are akin to each other. So, even with our labeling of the positions, doesnt mean people are restricted to them. But, we use them for designative purposes, to somewhat generalize certain types of players and how they play. The saber is almost the jack of all trades, the standard infantry man.(not saying sabers are the lower end or anything, its just that they can take on any postion, so all positions practically evolved from it) Dagger is jsut a saber who goes a little lighter and runs in first. hammer is just a saber with a bigger volume of fire. Sniper is just a saber who is stealthy and good at guerrilla tactics. Originality? In terms of that, a sniper is just as original as a dagger. back in the beginning of paintball, i do not doubt there was a guy who realized if he was quiet, and waited for the opportune time, he could effectively stall and/or defeat many opponents, with few shots fired. But only recently have we profiled "the sneaky guy who always shoots me in teh back" as a sniper. But he has always been there
And as for fear of the enemy, each man, and woman, has his, or her, own. I believe, that of anything, a sniper would be the worst. An enemy you cannot see nor hear(im talking about the good snipers here, not the wanna bes). How do you fight that which you cannot shoot at? When one man falls to a single sniper bullet(or, since this is paintball, a single paintball), people keep their heads down. Simply the idea that if you poke any part of you out, could get you hit. And maybe you're not necessarily afraid of etting hit because it hurts, but you also would not want to get hit, because then you are out. So, even teh seasoned player would have to move much more sloly, simply for the sake of not getting taken out of the game. This is the fear a sniper creates. If people arents coming out from behind their cover, the sniper is doing his job, even if he only gets one kill. You do not measure the usefulness of a unit by how many kills he gets, but by the whole of his contribution to the battle. Some kill few, but hold down entire parts of the field. i.e. snipers or hammers.
And as for nobility. This isnt exactly the best term in modern, to semi-modern war. This idea of nobility is more enshrined in a way of life, such as bushido by samurais, which controlled not only the way they fought, but also how they acted outside of battle, or for say knights in the middle ages. Chivalry and such. On the paintball battle field, i will shoot you in the back, if given the chance. I will run several hit-and-run, guerrilla style attacks to weaken you up. Cowardly as it may seem, i will not amke a defiant last stand with my remaining forces, instead, i would initiate a retreat, regroup, and counter attack. Being noble on the battle field is useless. So, if any position is in such a state of nobility in its ways, tell me, so that i may make sure to use these weaknesses against them. This is how i understand the term noble. (Note: As dishonorable as i may seem, there is a difference between my backstabbing, coniving, ways and being a cheater. Not being noble doesnt mean i dont have some respect for the rules, i do not wipe or anything, i just treat the rules of engagement in a different way. I use a more modified rule set, that allows for my abilities to take advantage of the false sense of security others allow themselves to fall in to.) in a sense of honor, sometimes, a sniper has to show a lot. If you're in ghillie, technically any hit, break or not, is an out. So, if someone shoots you, but still doesnt actually see you, say they were firing potshots, then it takes some honor and sense of right and wrong to call yourself out.
i'd suggest reading the sniper's creed in the sniper HQ section.

Sorry about that long winded rambling almost. I sort of jsut type it as the ideas pop in.

Urban Ninja :P

#277 User is offline   82ndx 

• Facta Non Verba
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:82ndx

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

Woah. This is a novel thread. Work both ways :P

IMO paintball sniping, is more of a style of play rather than the more contemporary definition of sniper, carried over from military terms, as to a long range force to be applied to a battle. eg. waiting, crawling, hiding, not getting into long drawn skirmishes, etc. One could say a more conservative style of play? This is all hanging on the idea that "sniping" in its purest form is not obtainable using markers due to the range constraints/speed the paintball travels at and so forth.

#278 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• PipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

View Post82ndx, on Mar 2 2009, 05:20 PM, said:

Woah. This is a novel thread. Work both ways :laugh:

IMO paintball sniping, is more of a style of play rather than the more contemporary definition of sniper, carried over from military terms, as to a long range force to be applied to a battle. eg. waiting, crawling, hiding, not getting into long drawn skirmishes, etc. One could say a more conservative style of play? This is all hanging on the idea that "sniping" in its purest form is not obtainable using markers due to the range constraints/speed the paintball travels at and so forth.

Yes! i think you may have summed up most of what i have said in a few sentances. I tend to get a little carried away...

#279 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

You can call my style of play whatever you want. 9 times out of 10 people call me a sniper. The other one is usually the "sneaky guy" or the "Swamp Fox."

#280 User is offline   ghilliewarrior 

• Team Sniper/Commander
  • Pip

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

Well this is my view on it. I dont think that us snipers can shoot any more accurately or farther by any means. I do, however, think we can take a shot off without being noticed, and we can use the enviroment, etc., to our advantage. We are stealthy and well hidden. Snipers are extremely useful especially in big games/scenarios. We can be used to gain intel, take out a prime target, or set up an ambush. The reason we call ourselves snipers isnt because we shoot more accurately or farther (or we would call ourselves sharpshooters), its because we can take shots off while being concealed and quite and still not have our cover blown. One game with me and Ill prove to you have nerve wracking it is to get shot at and still not know where its coming from. We definately use mental warfare. Sure its not like the military, neither is a heavygunner. A heavygunner cant shoot as fast as the militarys weapons but they are still called heavygunners. Why? Because we take our names from a paintball perspective. Lets face it, paintball is NOT real warfare. Thus, you cant compare snipers in paintball to real world snipers, or even heavygunners in paintball to real world machine gunners. Hope this helped even though I know Ill still probably get flamed for it haha. :laugh:

#281 User is offline   snipa12 

• snipe'em all day long
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipamasta

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

stop worrying about a position get out there and play some paintball seriously wow who cares if u like to snipe or not i have a buddy who likes to snipe because hes on a budget and cant aford that much paint just get out there and play jeez
smart parts owner # 100
"no you did not just fail you found 500 ways not to get me out"

#282 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

Ok, since there haven't been any posts in here in a while, I'll throw in a curveball!
So we all seem to have a different idea on the sniper, but what about now that the first strike is out and available at many scenarios? How does this new "sniper" round affect the role of a paintball sniper? Snipers now have the ability to shoot farther than anyone on the field, with many times more accuracy. But the rounds cost a lot more than a standard paintball, so any self respecting paintball player will not be blowing these out en-mass. So how do yall feel about the believability of an actual paintball sniper now that we have the range argument finally beat?

I personally believe that there have always been paintball snipers, but we lacked the range and were always called out on our legitimacy because of our lack in distance.
However, now that these rounds have been released paintball snipers can finally beat the range argument and be accepted widely as a valued asset for a general.
I know that these rounds haven't been accepted universally, but my home field and many scenario producers have accepted these rounds into their scenarios and events.
I have already bought a t-9 and I am waiting on my next paycheck to get the conversion kit, then I'll be a true pain in every general's butt! But do not be discouraged if you don't
have the money to get the t-9 or a t-4, with a little modding you can convert any gun to shoot the first strike.

Argue, debate, and have fun!

#283 User is offline   Chance Gray 

• Urban Chaos Founder
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chance Gray

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

Ha! Are you kidding? I got the FS kit for my Tac 8 just for those people who think that longballing is considered sniping... and my partner and I are working on a T9 for sniper/spotter work. These do make a big difference, but you will soon find some rich SOB that can afford a FS machine gun, or a total noob (not to be confused with newbie) that thinks he's a sniper by standing in the open and shooting wildly at people. No, I believe sniping is a state of mind. To blend in and use your surroundings. I can snipe decently well with FS rounds (2 shots, one kill at about 80 yds), but I will never say I'm a sniper because I can't be. I suck at cover usage, and I'm addicted to laying down paint. But those guys that embody sniping in paintball to the fullest, FS users or not... they are the only ones truly deserving to be called "Snipers."
Chance Gray
Sabre/Broadsword
Urban Chaos Designation: Delta 2-1

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=167797

#284 User is offline   Urban Ninja 

• PipPip

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

View Postsnipa12, on Mar 27 2009, 08:18 AM, said:

stop worrying about a position get out there and play some paintball seriously wow who cares if u like to snipe or not i have a buddy who likes to snipe because hes on a budget and cant aford that much paint just get out there and play jeez

Mate, please form solid, cohesive statements. For the good of all of us. And as for the "worrying about a position", I play a good deal of paintball, and maybe there are some days when I am not playing. On those days, maybe I want to come in and debate the finer points of paintball with a larger online community. Not to specifically single you out, but I see a lot of these posts, and they just bug me as they provide no new viewpoint at all on the topic.

As several people have probably said(myself included, as I believe I have posted here before) being a sniper is a mindest, and even then, the true "Sniper" is rare. But there do exist those select few who bring honor to the title of "sniper"

#285 User is offline   Chance Gray 

• Urban Chaos Founder
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chance Gray

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

View PostUrban Ninja, on Jul 16 2009, 03:16 AM, said:

As several people have probably said(myself included, as I believe I have posted here before) being a sniper is a mindest, and even then, the true "Sniper" is rare. But there do exist those select few who bring honor to the title of "sniper"

Thank you.
Chance Gray
Sabre/Broadsword
Urban Chaos Designation: Delta 2-1

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=167797

Share this topic:

• (20 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic