Safe to Make a Barrel Cover?

#46 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

tl;dr....
I made my own barrel blocker out of PVC, a garbage can shock-cord from WalMart, a 16 penny nail and a dremel. Works great too...

Materials:
1" ID PVC
1 1/4" ID PVC
Cap for 1 1/4" PVC
Sandpaper - 800 grit
PVC Cement
Drill (I used a Dremel with a drill bit, cutting disc and engravig tools)
16 Penny nail
Modelers paints
Needle and thread (sew shock cord ends)

The 1" ID fits over most barrels like my Freak kit.
The 1 1/4" fits over the 1" ID
The cap fits over top the 1 1/4" ID

Cut at least a 6" length of the 1" ID and make sure the ends are squared.
Cut at least 4 1/2" of the 1 1/4" ID to slide over top.
Sand the surfaces of both lengths.
Cement the 1" into the 1 1/4" with both tubes flush at one end. Let dry.
Fit the cap on top the "flush ends" and Drill a hole completely through the center of the cap's lip, through the walls of the 2 cemented tubes and out the other side. This hole must be big enough for the 16 Penny nail to fit snugly into. The nail acts as the "Ball-breaker" when the marker "discharges," leaving the cap undamaged. Install and cement the cap in place, add the nail and cut of flushly with the cutting disc. Allow to dry.

At the open end (where tha barrel fits into the device) drill holes at 12 o clock and 6 oclock. This is for the shock cord.

Dremel your own design on the thick diameter PVC and sand it smooth. Paint if you like...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#47 User is offline   DaggerBurn 

• scratch kitty scratch
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kohburn

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

View Postdruid, on Apr 4 2007, 12:58 PM, said:

tl;dr....
I made my own barrel blocker out of PVC, a garbage can shock-cord from WalMart, a 16 penny nail and a dremel. Works great too...

looks pretty cool but my concern with that is PVC doesn't age well when exposed to UV - it gets brittle and after a while a single shot could potentially shatter it.

#48 User is offline   esperto96 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:esperto96

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

Barrel bags aren't rocket science. In fact I tend to overstitch my soft goods because I don't trust my stitches. Even a moderately built job will likely protect you well. It is inherent in the design.

The bag allows air from the barrel to vent without severe pressure build up like a plug. The stretchy cord provides enough give to the bag to reduce the impulse of the impact against the bag. The ball is designed to break upon impact and further reduces the impulse of the impact.

The design is inherently safe. Do you have paintballs regularly punching through your clothing during regular play? Regardless, you should inspect any barrel bag periodically for wear and tear. Nylon based materials slowly break down with extended exposure to UV light and stitching can work itself loose.

If this guy knows how to work a sewing machine and can follow the standards of other barrel bags (sturdy material, nylon webbing in the end of the bag, firm but stretchy elastic cord, and double stitching) I would be willing to trust my eyes to his barrel bag.

#49 User is offline   Slivers 

• The charred ghost of Slivers
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Slivers

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

View Postghostinthewood, on Feb 15 2007, 10:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

If I can pull that off with a REAL barrel condom and my 1337 sewing skills :dodgey: then you ought to have the ability to do the same with tan cloth.

Just about died when I saw this. Now I have to purchase something cute and fuzzy... :D :P
Posted Image
Flying straight above the steady stream of stars.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users