#31 User is offline   oldguny 

• The Chicago type writer.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Oldguny

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:42 PM

View Postghostinthewood, on Feb 15 2007, 07:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

If I can pull that off with a REAL barrel condom and my 1337 sewing skills :dodgey: then you ought to have the ability to do the same with tan cloth.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/Ser...l2/IMG_0012.jpg

If I can pull that off with a REAL barrel condom and my 1337 sewing skills :dodgey: then you ought to have the ability to do the same with tan cloth.

Thats..............different! :(

When i see you your in my cross hairs,but when you see me your looking over your sholder still wondering why that tree is waving at you. "Explosives slove everthing"-Sandy WBC I'm going for a Sunday drive Navy Seal Style

#32 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:13 PM

I like the boot-leather idea...
Personally, I stick with the store bought models.I do remember alot of homemade BBDs when I first started playing, but that was in the mid-80s & such things were almost unknown.

#33 User is offline   Aegis 

• Pronounced EE-jis
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Aegis

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:02 AM

Personally, I'd kinda like to see your finished BBD is, when its all said and done. Having looked closely at several of mine, they seem to be cordura or ripstop nylon with reinforced tips of polypropelene type webbing. It hardly seems to be rocket science; so long as you sew it right, I would imagine it would work fine. Just don't tie a piece of string to a sock and call it a day :laugh: . A lot of the home made PVC launchers make me a lot more nervous than a guy with a homemade barrel block.

Heck, the Pevs Flatline cover (incidentally, it works great for pistolsalmost twice the size of Tippmann's) I have is only single stitched, with a piece of webbing stitched into the inside front of the bag, and the elastic cords are double stitched at the point of meeting. This seems to be the way most BBDs are made, at least the ones you'll chance to pick up for the graphics or because the local field has its name on it.

So far, the only BBD I've seen that really goes the extra mile is Tippmann's flatline sized one. Single Stiched, looks like ripstop nylon sleeve with an entire webbing material type bottom pocket. Elastic looks to be fastened the same way.

And as an aside, should you just want to change the color of an existing BBD, you'd want acrylic paint, which are water based but not really all that water soluble once they've dried out. They're made for working on cloth, and go for about 50 cents to a buck in every color under the rainbow at your local Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or Ben Franklin. Though now that I think about it, I wonder how it'll work on the less absorbent nylons. For that matter, I wonder how standard cloth dye would work on em.

This post has been edited by Aegis: 21 February 2007 - 01:05 AM

"Why is Loud Stupidity so infectious?" Rana, Sa'Aquta Market Fool
Current Armory: {PPS Superstocker][Peacemaker PG][Kingman Hammer Plus][VSC Phantom][ULE Automag][Smartech Knock Off][PM1 d/f][BT TM7][UMS TRGC Tac 8][Tac 8]
Smart Parts, Doc Nickle and Tom Kaye - Nuff Said---MCB Feedback SpecOps Feedback

#34 User is offline   jimcohlanza 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:36 AM

View PostAegis, on Feb 21 2007, 12:02 AM, said:

Though now that I think about it, I wonder how it'll work on the less absorbent nylons. For that matter, I wonder how standard cloth dye would work on em.

I'm planning on using Cordura; as you suspected, they're not very absorbent. Cordura is dyed and sealed at the factory. It's gonna be a while until I'm gonna need it though. With it being spring time, I'm gonna be busy with other activities than paintball. But I will promise to post pics when I'm done, to include test results.

And I appreciate the fact that it looked like you read the post, rather than blindly commenting. :laugh:

#35 User is offline   Vyo 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Vyo

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:45 AM

I don't think its a bad idea that he wants to make his own barrel condom, as there just aren't that many out there that are made to handle exactly what he's trying to accomplish, which is to cover both the barrel and air source.

there are bags made to fit over a flatline and still have some room, probably your best bet. but if you are going to make your own, rigorously test it before using it on the field. pile up 10-20 shots into it repeatedly at a higher velocity than you normally would use.

Also.. you mention you want a tan colord bag? I'd advise against it. Sure, it'll look good against the paint scheme of the gun.. BUT the idea is once that bag goes on.. you want people to KNOW you are out.. if it blends in to the gun, they can't tell and you are more than likely going to catch a bonus ball or 2. I can't tell you how many times I've see someone go off screaming mad cause they got tagged walking out and there sits a black bag on a black barrel, on a black gun. Bright contrast is the way to go.

Personally i have Flatline style bag.. Hunter Blaze orange. No flatline barrel.. I shoot a Mag. why the flatline bag? it's that much bigger, so it's even MORE visiable, and quick to get on ( i have oneof those skinny Redz neoprene bags too.. tough to get it on quicklywhen you just want ot get out of the way.)

This post has been edited by Vyo: 07 March 2007 - 01:49 AM

#36 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

hes not trying to cover both the barrel and airsouce, hes wanting to switch the condom from the barrel to the air source during play so he doesnt have to pocket it or loose it. hes wanting the air source to be its holder during play and put it on the barrel when hes off the feild

#37 User is offline   Geos 

• Great Lakes Rangers
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Geos

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

I personaly would not recommend makeing a barrel bag. For on, mosr barrel bag do not even meet ASTM standards. They are alot better that spikes, it scares me on how many people still use them. If the barrel bag fails to stop the paint ball, the owner of the gun can be held at fault. I good lawyer will look up the safty stanards and see they do not meet them. In a few states the only device legaly allowed is a muzzle spiker. If you may want to check local and state laws to see what is actual the proper device to use. You can find out more at http://www.avalonadv...aap/company.htm

I would also seem like if you put your barrle bag on your tank, just under the barrel, it would be hard to tell if it was on the barrel or tank.

Geos

#38 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:39 PM

uhh dude, i dunno what a barrel "spike" is but if its the same thing as a barrel plug, they are being retired, barrel bags are MUCH safer than plugs as a paintball can force a plug out then you have a rubber missle plus all the paint behind it going twords you.

barrel bags are much safer and i dont think the owner of the marker can be held at fault if the bag fails. more than likely the maker of the bag is at fault unless the owner screwed up when putting it on.

any good lawyer sues the person with the deepest pockets and DYE's pockets are alot deeper than joe blow who just happened to buy a bad condom

edit: searching a bit on the internet i can find very little on the muzzle spike, cant even find a decent picture so i think ill make a post about it in GPD as im intrigued

This post has been edited by Dream of Nullification: 21 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

#39 Guest_PENGUIN188_*

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

Actually I do make my own and sell some to some of our players what I do is make sure there is no seams on the bottom and reinforce it with a little thicker material and there is no seam in it either. The most expensive thing about it is that lil plastic doohicky on it to adjust it there $1 a piece i can make them for $2 each

Attached File(s)

#40 User is offline   jimcohlanza 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:19 AM

View PostPENGUIN188, on Mar 21 2007, 07:47 PM, said:

Actually I do make my own and sell some to some of our players what I do is make sure there is no seams on the bottom and reinforce it with a little thicker material and there is no seam in it either. The most expensive thing about it is that lil plastic doohicky on it to adjust it there $1 a piece i can make them for $2 each

Yeah, that's what most of them look like to me; a strip of 1000D Cordura folded in half and sewn on the sides.

#41 User is offline   jon_3 

• would you **** me? i would **** me hard!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:jon_3

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:04 AM

what about useing a A-5 flatline bag then covering it ?
always the questions, never the answers

#42 User is offline   DaggerBurn 

• scratch kitty scratch
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kohburn

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

I always find it funny when people jump all over you saying how you can't possibly make something as safe as the store bought kind. and also asume all this money when into testing the store bought ones.

rather than assuming it can't be done - try doing a little math with material properties, projectile velocities etc. or some oh so expensive test fires into a barrel bag with the gun running hot.

unless the person making it is a hack then chances are the homemade one will be safer than the store bought one. I'm pretty sure i'm not the only person that makes my own stuff because I think i can do it better for cheaper.

a peice of 2" wide nylon webbing (yes its ballistic nylon, the same material that bulletproof vests and flak jackets used before kevlar) folded over in the bottom of the bag/sock will provide enough strength to stop a frozen paintball from a gun runnin very hot. after that its up to how you stitch it to the strap that keeps the bag on the gun. if you REALLY want it to be safe (overkill) then you can take the strap all the way around the front of the webbing, tie it in a not, then sew i in.

#43 User is offline   Geos 

• Great Lakes Rangers
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Geos

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

View PostGeos, on Mar 21 2007, 08:24 PM, said:

I personaly would not recommend makeing a barrel bag. For on, mosr barrel bag do not even meet ASTM standards. They are alot better that spikes, it scares me on how many people still use them. If the barrel bag fails to stop the paint ball, the owner of the gun can be held at fault. I good lawyer will look up the safty stanards and see they do not meet them. In a few states the only device legaly allowed is a muzzle spiker. If you may want to check local and state laws to see what is actual the proper device to use. You can find out more at http://www.avalonadv...aap/company.htm

I would also seem like if you put your barrle bag on your tank, just under the barrel, it would be hard to tell if it was on the barrel or tank.

Geos

A muzzel spiker is not the same as a plug. On the web site I listed in my post, there are pictures of the spikers. As well as info on the laws in some states. I have never seen any paper work come with a barrel bag that says it is ASTM aproved. Most don't even come with directions on how to use them. With no directions, the maker can say the user didn't put it on correctly and not be at fault.

I am not saying that you won't build a better bag than others, just that a bag is not the safest barrel blocking device out there. I have also seen peole that leave the bags on there gun,just below the barrel, get shot with it on because people can't tell if it is on the barrel or below it, so the shoot rather than take the chance of a dead man walk.

Geos

#44 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:38 PM

View PostDaggerBurn, on Apr 3 2007, 09:27 AM, said:

I always find it funny when people jump all over you saying how you can't possibly make something as safe as the store bought kind. and also asume all this money when into testing the store bought ones.

rather than assuming it can't be done - try doing a little math with material properties, projectile velocities etc. or some oh so expensive test fires into a barrel bag with the gun running hot.

unless the person making it is a hack then chances are the homemade one will be safer than the store bought one. I'm pretty sure i'm not the only person that makes my own stuff because I think i can do it better for cheaper.

yes, he can do it on his own and it may be safe. That doesnt mean that i would want to have one. I'll put it to you this way, as i've said in this thread. Let's just say the hand made bag does break, not saying it will, but say it does. Takes someone's eye out. Who would you rather they sue Dye who can afford a 10 million dollar lawsuit over a faulty barrel condom, or you, who i highly doubt can afford a lawsuit of that kind of money. Id rather use the dye and not have to worry. Let them deal wtih the courts if a problem arises. It more than just safety, now you are talking responsiblity or negligence
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#45 User is offline   DaggerBurn 

• scratch kitty scratch
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kohburn

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:35 AM

View PostLegato, on Apr 4 2007, 02:38 AM, said:

Who would you rather they sue Dye who can afford a 10 million dollar lawsuit over a faulty barrel condom, or you, who i highly doubt can afford a lawsuit of that kind of money. Id rather use the dye and not have to worry.

yes its a valid concern thanks to the sue happy society we live in.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users