Special Ops Paintball: Heavy Weapons Teams - Special Ops Paintball

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Heavy Weapons Teams Why are there rules limiting BPS and number of barrels?

#1 User is offline   Ddraiglais 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

I was getting into the SPPL when reading the rules. Then I got to the part about limiting the number of barrels and BPS. That is unrealistic. As a compromise I would offer to allow one gun per team to have multiple barrels and/or more BPS. Maybe add another rule that would force the gun to have a two man team. In real life most squads come with a M60, M249, minimi, ultimax 100, mini SS, MG43, etc. Even in WW II you had BARs, MG42s, etc. Having a machinegun team is a basic part of small unit tactics. Anyway, this is just a thought that might improve the league a little bit. I know the league would have more appeal to me if it allowed for heavy weapons teams.

#2 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

Some insurance companies won't allow automactic including r/t's - also bps may be added in. That's why they restrict certain hoppers to 13 bps.

#3 User is offline   Ddraiglais 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:04 PM

I understand about insurance, but some fields allow multiple barrels and higher BPS. Why couldn't the rules for the SPPL allow what the field allows?

#4 User is offline   controller 

• Controller
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:CONTROLLER

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

firstly... this isn't a milsim league.

and to answer some of your questions. BPS limits are emplaced for safety and insurance requirements. the limit on barrels is PER MARKER so a DoubleTrouble is perfectly legal. any other questions?

#5 User is offline   **MayheM** 

• **MayheM**
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:**MayheM**

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

View PostDdraiglais, on Jan 20 2007, 03:35 PM, said:

I was getting into the SPPL when reading the rules. Then I got to the part about limiting the number of barrels and BPS. That is unrealistic. As a compromise I would offer to allow one gun per team to have multiple barrels and/or more BPS. Maybe add another rule that would force the gun to have a two man team. In real life most squads come with a M60, M249, minimi, ultimax 100, mini SS, MG43, etc. Even in WW II you had BARs, MG42s, etc. Having a machinegun team is a basic part of small unit tactics. Anyway, this is just a thought that might improve the league a little bit. I know the league would have more appeal to me if it allowed for heavy weapons teams.

Rules are freakin' stoopid. I went to a so called "woods ball" field once that didn't count hits w/ paint grenades unless it was a DIRECT hit. Thus completly defeating the point of a paint grenade. If you could get a direct hit you could just shoot they guy, you wouldn't need a grenade 'cause they exist to provide INDIRECT FIRE for targets that are dug in too well to get a shot on.

Anyway rules are stupid especially if you're claiming to be running a scenario game. I beleive the whole point of a scenario game is to simulate real battle field conditions as well as possible. So... ther's no rules to what you can have on the battle field, if you can invent a LMG that has a 1 billion round magazine that weighs 4 oz. and fires 1 million rounds a minute by all means invent it and deploy your troops with it so you can win with fewer casualties (on your side) so why the hell is there a rule saying "you cant shoot that fast" or "you can't shoot that many" or "you can't have that many barrels" in your "scenario" game???

Sounds like a not very scenario game to me.

If you were smart you'd just have every participant sign a waver and say, "Well... have at it!"
**Mayhem**

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

#6 User is offline   empiregeneral 

• PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EmpireGeneral

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:33 PM

Paintball is a sport, not war. The whole point behind the SPPL is sportsmanship and a fair chance for any team to compete. Some teams can't afford double troubles and high end guns capable of 30 bps. The limit sets a level playing field for everyone putting more stress on tactics and teamwork rather than equipment and how thick your wallet is. And yes while I do love seeing a marker come onto a field that can shoot 30bps, It dosen't mean that I want to get shot with it. That is a lot of rounds hitting all within a few seconds, safety is a major concern.

This post has been edited by empiregeneral: 20 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

#7 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

Well, play the league before you razz it. SPPL is the most fun paintball I've ever experienced, from milsim scenario to speedball.

And on the double trouble. The cost, and unwieldyness of these makes them really a novelty (and not incredibly hard to take out, from what I understand.. I didn't face one in OK)

Lo

#8 User is offline   RPGDAWG 

• Ride Or Die Son
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

Rules are freakin' stoopid. I went to a so called "woods ball" field once that didn't count hits w/ paint grenades unless it was a DIRECT hit. Thus completly defeating the point of a paint grenade. If you could get a direct hit you could just shoot they guy, you wouldn't need a grenade 'cause they exist to provide INDIRECT FIRE for targets that are dug in too well to get a shot on.

Anyway rules are stupid especially if you're claiming to be running a scenario game. I beleive the whole point of a scenario game is to simulate real battle field conditions as well as possible. So... ther's no rules to what you can have on the battle field, if you can invent a LMG that has a 1 billion round magazine that weighs 4 oz. and fires 1 million rounds a minute by all means invent it and deploy your troops with it so you can win with fewer casualties (on your side) so why the hell is there a rule saying "you cant shoot that fast" or "you can't shoot that many" or "you can't have that many barrels" in your "scenario" game???

Sounds like a not very scenario game to me.

If you were smart you'd just have every participant sign a waver and say, "Well... have at it!"

Obviously you haven't the slightest clue what the SPPL is all about.. and you don't like how it's played.. it's simple move on from this thread and play your game. The SPPL is a woodsball tournament not a scenario game.

Also for the original poster.. I suggest you go watch a SPPL qualifier and/or finals in oklahoma.. There is plenty of heavy fire going on during the game.. Ask anyone who was there what it sounded like when Delta Ops and GLR went at it in oklahoma..Sounded like a real battlefield. 15BPS is plenty. We used over 7 cases of paint in that 1 hr game.

#9 User is offline   **MayheM** 

• **MayheM**
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:**MayheM**

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:31 AM

View Postempiregeneral, on Jan 20 2007, 09:33 PM, said:

Paintball is a sport, not war. The whole point behind the SPPL is sportsmanship and a fair chance for any team to compete. Some teams can't afford double troubles and high end guns capable of 30 bps. The limit sets a level playing field for everyone putting more stress on tactics and teamwork rather than equipment and how thick your wallet is. And yes while I do love seeing a marker come onto a field that can shoot 30bps, It dosen't mean that I want to get shot with it. That is a lot of rounds hitting all within a few seconds, safety is a major concern.

So we play a sport that involves shooting eachother with air guns. That sounds a whole lot like simulating a firefight to me. Competition isn't, wasn't, and will not ever be about fairness. Sure you can make a bunch of rules and make a "fair" game, but the whole point of tactics that these scenario games supposedly stress is to stack the odds against your enemy and make things as unfair for them as possible. That's what TACTICS is! Stacking the odds, whatever advantages they have you try to take away. That's the point, and that's not fair.

And besides that, leveling the playing field does >>>NOT<<< put more stress on tactics. If your enemy walks on the field rockin' all the best double troubles, grenade launchers, and other cool stuff: THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN DEFEAT THEM IS BY USING BETTER TACTICS. You HAVE to come up with a better plan to beat the better equiped enemy which means if you win your victory will be that much cooler! AND because you have to be a better tactician to win this will make you a BETTER PAINTBALLER in the end. Everybody wins, the guys with cash (one of which I am NOT) get to play with their cool guns, and the guys without are honed into an overall better team!!!!

On the subject of not wanting to get hit with the double trouble... STOP BEING SUCH A SISSIE!!!!! Suck it up! Pretend to be half a man for once and go for it, if you do get hit, yeah, it's gonna suck REALLY REALLY BAD. But it's not gonna kill you, it's not like your getting hit with 45 cal. RUBBER BALLS at 800 fps, your getting hit with paintballs at 300 fps, IF EVEN THAT! You'll live AND you'll have something else to brag about.

Pesonally if I see a double trouble on the field, I'm gonna pee my pants! But I'm not gonna ask for a lame assed rule banning them. I'm gonna play anyway, 'cause unlike some other paintballers I don't act like a seven-year-old girl. I'm gonna try to take the guy out anyway, and if I get hit... 30 times... in one second... at close range, 'cause I did something stupid and it didn't work... Oh well! I'll fall on the ground and whimper for a little bit. Then get up, limp to sidelines and nurse my welts for a little while... then GET BACK IN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SAY LET 'EM BRING WHATEVER THEY WANT! AND I'LL TRY TO BEAT THEM. IF I DON'T IT'LL STILL BE FUN, IT WONT HURT FOR T HAT LONG, IT'LL BE COOL TO SEE THEIR STUFF IN ACTION. AND IF I DO WIN... "YOU HAVE THE BEST GEAR EVER AND I STILL WON!!! BOOYA!!!"
**Mayhem**

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

#10 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:46 AM

when will people grasp that paintball isnt about realism, its about having fun and team play. If you want realism, join the armed forces or police. If you want fake realism, play airsoft. Paintball isnt about being realistic or jsut like the military. Far from it in fact. I dont see paintballs going on for a mile at 3000 fps. No, not even close. Nor do i see us using bullets and killing eachother. Last time i checked we shot paint. Leave the realism crap at the door. The sppl is about fair play, sportsmanship, and having a great time. Like i said, if you want real, join the army/marines/navy/air force. I play paintball to get away from my daily life and have fun with friends. Not to be militaristic and act like im a commando, sorry, dont see anyfun in that.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#11 User is offline   empiregeneral 

• PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EmpireGeneral

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:11 PM

STOP BEING SUCH A SISSIE!!!!! Suck it up! Pretend to be half a man for once and go for it

First off, don't start insulting people as soon as they give an answer to YOUR question. You know absolutely nothing about me. I have no problem being shot, heck if I don't get shot during a day of play, I will have my friends light me up after a game so that I do get some welts. I however do care if it happens to my little brother or a newb out on the field for their first time as they probably won't come back if they get lit up their first time playing.

Again, PAINTBALL IS A SPORT. As Legato put it, if want realism, join the military. There is a time and a place for your Rambo idealism. Paintball is not it. If you don't like the way the league is played, don't play in it. Go have fun with your little buddies playing "war". While the rest of us enjoy an awesome sport. From what you have said, I see that you have no clue what healthy competition is all about. You're simply in it to win and that is not what the SPPL is about, yeah it would be an awesome feeling to win, but there is a reason that the sportsmanship prize is equal to first place. It's because sportsmanship, safety, HEATHLY competition, and making friends along the way are some of the best parts of paintball.

#12 User is offline   Jubei 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

View Post**MayheM**, on Jan 20 2007, 06:33 PM, said:

So... ther's no rules to what you can have on the battle field.....

You've obviously never heard of the Rules of War, nor have you heard of the Geneva Convention. There are many limits on the types of weapons that you can use without being tried and subsequently hanged for war crimes. Weapons that cause "undue suffering and pain" are completely banned. I think hitting someone with upwards of 30 BPS fits neatly under the heading of undue pain.

Also, coming from the Marine Corps as a SAW gunner, I can tell you this for a fact. The M249G SAW fires 800 rounds per minute which comes in at just over 13 rounds per second. That's almost exactly what the limit is in most scenario games if not slightly lower. If you want to go into the whole "realism" argument, you're going to lose. Never have I seen a whole squad, or even a fire team, armed with SAWs or their equivalent.

#13 User is offline   Ddraiglais 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

Well said MayheM.

On fairness, I agree with MayheM. Playing against the rich people that had paintball guns that shot a gazillion balls per second would just make you better. You would have to find ways around that. In baseball the NY Yankees can afford any player they want. I don't see any rules banning pitchers that can throw 90 MPH fastballs or guys that hit 40 homers in a season. Other teams get what players they can afford and they play the game.

I disagree about paintball being a sport. It's fun. It's a great game, but I've never seen it as a sport. Most people outside of paintball don't see it as a sport either.

Paintball is not war, but it does simulate it. I understand paintballs cannot do the things that real bullets do (range, accuracy, etc), but it does mimick war to an extent. I was in the military. I have no plans on going back.

Actually, MaheM has a better understanding of what healthy competition is about. I've played sports most of my life. I've played against 6'6 guys in basketball and outrebounded them (I'm only 5'5). I've blocked 260 lb defensive linemen (I only go about 225). I beat "A" league racketball players when I wasn't even in a "C" league yet. What I'm getting at, is in every one of those instances I was at a disadvantage. I worked my tail off to overcome those disadvantages. If this league is going to ban certain types of equipment, then maybe it should ban anyone who is a good shot. Then it could ban anyone who can run really fast or is really good at hiding. Ghillie suits would have to go too. They are military looking and they give an advantage.

I guess I'll take you guys' advice and quit looking into this league. I will stick to the normal "outlaw" play that I do and keep looking for something that fits me better. I have been looking for something like the SPPL or tactical ten, but both come up a little short with the rules that they have.

#14 User is offline   naMrevOemaG 

• Merces Letifer
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mooch!

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

View PostDdraiglais, on Jan 21 2007, 01:48 PM, said:

Well said MayheM.

On fairness, I agree with MayheM. Playing against the rich people that had paintball guns that shot a gazillion balls per second would just make you better. You would have to find ways around that. In baseball the NY Yankees can afford any player they want. I don't see any rules banning pitchers that can throw 90 MPH fastballs or guys that hit 40 homers in a season. Other teams get what players they can afford and they play the game.

I disagree about paintball being a sport. It's fun. It's a great game, but I've never seen it as a sport. Most people outside of paintball don't see it as a sport either.

Paintball is not war, but it does simulate it. I understand paintballs cannot do the things that real bullets do (range, accuracy, etc), but it does mimick war to an extent. I was in the military. I have no plans on going back.

Actually, MaheM has a better understanding of what healthy competition is about. I've played sports most of my life. I've played against 6'6 guys in basketball and outrebounded them (I'm only 5'5). I've blocked 260 lb defensive linemen (I only go about 225). I beat "A" league racketball players when I wasn't even in a "C" league yet. What I'm getting at, is in every one of those instances I was at a disadvantage. I worked my tail off to overcome those disadvantages. If this league is going to ban certain types of equipment, then maybe it should ban anyone who is a good shot. Then it could ban anyone who can run really fast or is really good at hiding. Ghillie suits would have to go too. They are military looking and they give an advantage.

I guess I'll take you guys' advice and quit looking into this league. I will stick to the normal "outlaw" play that I do and keep looking for something that fits me better. I have been looking for something like the SPPL or tactical ten, but both come up a little short with the rules that they have.

you sweat = its a sport
its on espn = definetely a sport
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

#15 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:33 PM

I really don't feel like entering the "discussion" about paintball as a sport but I will say that I think people who use multiple barrels should be restricted on their BPS the same as everyone else, why? Well how many times have people been bonus balled with one barrel? All you have to do is multiply that by two and you could have some players seriously getting hurt... or even worse potential players being scared away!
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users