• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what in the hell do you do when a near pro pays the field fee Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:33 AM

Actually I don't think you get it. You clearly can't just ask a paying customer to leave. The other guys here have it right. You need to figure out some incentive for getting the other guys to keep playing. As a ref you have to be fair, and penalizing a player (asking him to leave) because he's too good just won't cut it. Doing so will hurt your field's rep because the experienced guys are going to be the ones who come back to play over and over. They're also the ones who are going to know others who play a lot of paintball so they'll tell everyone else not to go to your field because it's not friendly to those with more experience.

See what I'm getting at? In the end it benefits your business more to cater to those who are more experienced. I think you handled the situation well, though I would suggest a short talk about sportsmanship along with your standard safety talk before they enter the field. I also like the suggestion of incentives for getting the guy out in order to keep them on the field. This will in effect make everyone happy cause now your experienced guys still have people to shoot at and the walkons/renters will go and tell their friends they got free stuff at this field, we should all go there again, etc. In a situation like this you should also consider trying to talk the experienced dude into coaching some of the walk-ons for a couple rounds before going all-out on them. Most of the more experienced dudes are going to appreciate a challenge more than straight cleaning house, so this could help give them that as well.

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#17 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:02 AM

Tell him to tone it down. Its fine for him to be good and play against renters. If you cant separate pros from newbs at your field due to size or amount of players, then ask him to not play as hard. Or ask him to help ref or something.

When i play agianst newbs i play normal, but if im mowing em down ill hold back a little and give them some chances. Its not fair to just totally roll over them cause your good. Did you want to play more when you first started and someone owned you game after game after game. I see many newbs leave cause of this.

Now i know what you all are saying is right, it is not wrong to be good... but to just own all the newbs to the point of them leaving isnt healthy for the field either. You just lost all your paying customers and many will probably never come back or play again because of this experience. You can't jsut let that happen. Look at it from the eyes of the field owner.

Id ask the guy to play a little less hard or go easy on them. There is nothing wrong with intentionally letting yourself get tagged out by a newb. If it makes his/her day, then so be it. It keeps em playing and keeps em wanting to play.

Sure he can just roll them all day, its easy, whynot. Or he can let them win occasionally and keep the fun going for all. Who cares if you lose in rec ball?? I doubt it would end his world to let them win at least one round or more.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#18 User is offline   paintslinger99 

• ITS NOT AN ION!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:paintslinger99

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:07 AM

introduce him to stockclass show him phantoms and palmers. and tie his legs together. lol

#19 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:05 AM

Some of us got our start on pumps and are just as deadly with one.

"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#20 User is offline   JJaxx 

• Sneaky S.O.B.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JJaxx

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:08 AM

The only thing you can really do is ask him to dial it down a little.
My Feedback!
Team Capt. of Shadow Force. "Fear the shadows"

#21 User is offline   Da Ref 

• too much work no time to play
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sniper257

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:24 AM

I have had to face the type of problem severl times If he does not have a stockclass gun then have him take off his hopper and one ball it. He can only put one ball in his marker, he can not hold a hand full of balls over the feed tube and have him carry his paint in his pocket if possable. He will get a good amount of the other team but it will slow him down. Also talk to him and have him act as a team leader telling other players when and were to move, this would bring up the renters level of play and make them want to come back and play more because there is someone that is helping on the field.
Its simple I saw the hit,
Your out!!

I need a job with more vacation time

#22 User is offline   BUSH FOX 

• My life is soooooo good right now, don't mess with it.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BUSH FOX

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:32 AM

Tell him what is going on and suggest he handicap himself in some way.Suggest he start using a crappy marker, crappy paint, crappy barrel, or whatever floats his boat. Just try and warm him up to the idea of down grading his equipment to the point that statistically he is not considerably better than anyone else. Offer it up as a challenge, he still has his skill, but he will have to adjust to a lesser setup.

If he really wants to make it a challenge, tell him to get a pump :D .If he wants to continue with his setup, tell him he needs to try another field, because he is running everyone off(Tell him in a humorous way though).If he's a good, intelligent guy, he will understand and consider his options.
Controlled agression is the ultimate WMD.
I lift weights, practice martial arts, and have lots of dangerous toys so back off!!!!
If you have a problem with me or just a question, feel free to PM me.

#23 User is offline   syfillis 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

well done BlueDragonX, you did exactly what i asked you not to do, yes there is a moral delema with kicking him out, but what aboiut the busnes stuff? he is making ppl leave, and for the record he diden't pay the field fee he is a sponered player

thats a solid idea bush fox, and we did
but our rentles were 98c act with compressed air, so all it was was him getting a little closer.

Da Rev thank you (no sarcasam) that i will try next time, but we did make him lead the renters and they won

#24 User is offline   jtpaintball70 

• Stock-Class player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JTPaintball70

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:10 AM

To be honest, I think you're over reacting. And the fact that you told the opposing team what to do based on your viewpoint WHILE YOU WERE REFFING is worse than anything you said this semipro did.

What field do you ref at, so I can make sure I never play there.
☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌ 
/ \ Copy and paste him

#25 User is offline   Wimpy 

• I make stuff up... don't listen.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Wimpy

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:15 AM

I would rotate him so he plays with everyone. That way everyone is on the winning team at some point and eveyone get's to benefit from his expertise. Stress to him that you want him to show the other guys the ropes. Serve the team as a commander/back player. I love playing with and against guys who are better than me, that's how you evolve.

#26 User is offline   Pneumaniac227 

• Certified Pump Paintball Crash Dummy
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

View PostPneumaniac227, on Dec 10 2006, 11:18 PM, said:

Here's what ya do. You make everyone else a deal. If you can eliminate the guy, you get 100 free paintballs. People are gullible. They'll stay.

So...whadayathinkofmyidea?...
Digi Camo Program Web Dog Radio The Whiteboard
"Hype, cease and desist orders, and lawsuits are ruining our sport" club member #4
My Feedback (+8/-0) My Stuff For Sale!!! My Website
"The Ironmen though, are like the Yankees. I dont really care for them, but I would still place a bet on them." -ghostinthewood

#27 User is offline   ironwasp 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ironwasp

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:48 PM

dude your not using the pro to your advantage make an offer like free feild fee for any one who tags him. its all about having fun in rec games. We had two pros at our field. we all thought it was pretty funny when they were doing a run through and got tagged by the two 12 year olds from the church group. When these guys come to the feild they just wanna have fun to. Ive even had one guy who was practicing for a tournament not carry any paint and just went for the flag so he could practice his bunker moves and timing. Remember paintball was the original survivor game evolve or die
i will give up my marker only after you pry my cold rigid fingers from the trigger

#28 User is offline   Path_finder 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:path_finder

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:00 PM

Knowing that there are better players can be good encoragment.
That just means you still have room for improvment! :unsure:

He's not there every day is he? You're not gonna see him every time you play.
Death is just another part of life. Let's speed things up, shall we?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your Signature
(")_(") to help him accomplish World Domination.
9 out of 10 teens listen to rap. If you're one of the few that stay true to metal, put this in your sig.
IPB Image

#29 User is offline   JesterTLS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2006 - 01:00 AM

Your semi pro would have wound up teaching a small seminar on "How to improve your game."

I would have had him there coaching.
Team ODX (Operational Detachment X-Ray)
OSF Operator's Strike Force
www.scenariosupply.com www.cdpaintball.com

#30 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:21 AM

Dude, I gave you my opinoins and some suggestions, that what you were asking. As to the second post, it's completely relevant. It points out a flaw in reasoning as to actions you can take.

And I'm about to do it again. It's a public forum, after all, I'm just trying to help.

One-balling it is a good idea, but if he's got a marker converted to use a Q-Loader or mag, such as a longbow mag, then the one-balling is not easy if even possible. Though in this case I'd limit him to, say, 30 balls or so. Something reasonable, not so much that he can throw ropes but not so little that he can never win.

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users