Special Ops Paintball: How-to: Make your own grenades - Special Ops Paintball

• (39 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How-to: Make your own grenades Uses washer and cotter pin for "trigger" -- PICS!

#61 User is offline   Get To The CHOPPA!! 

• DIY Grenade Expert
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:GetToTheCHOPPA!!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:36 AM

View Postpaintman2151, on Sep 29 2006, 08:05 AM, said:

hey pretty good vid, that was all over, hey if you put more paint into that little tube wont you get more pressure and get a better spray?

Yeah, we tried out a 12 oz water grenade and the results were predictably better. But, we're still trying to make less of a "hot dog" 12 ouncer and more of a "football"-shaped one. The long, floppy grenade (Peter Laugh) is kinda cumbersome to throw. Plus, how the grenade is oriented as it hits the ground is a big determining factor in spray pattern as well.

This post has been edited by Get To The CHOPPA!!: 03 February 2007 - 09:53 PM

#62 User is offline   Pooker 

• Lawl @ this forum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pooker

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:24 AM

Have you tried making any like the squad buster? (folded in half) if oyu could do it don't you think that it would have a better paint throwing radious(sp)
Digitally Dangerous
"So what? She had sex in your bed... Somebody had to, and obviously you dropped the ball..." - Jones
"No, Puzuma, please tea bag me for free......actually....after that statement....I don't even care"- Deuce

#63 User is offline   Get To The CHOPPA!! 

• DIY Grenade Expert
  • PipPip

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:43 AM

View PostPooker, on Sep 29 2006, 12:24 PM, said:

Have you tried making any like the squad buster? (folded in half) if oyu could do it don't you think that it would have a better paint throwing radious(sp)

Hmmm...Interesting. Yes the bottom half would be easy, and I guess you could just do 2 seperate triggers with a common pin holding them both in. I personally have never looked at the triggering device on a squadbuster, but I'm familiar with their shape. Just fold a double length of tubing in half, zip tie the fold as you would the bottom of a regular grenade and fill up the 2 halves seperately. If anyone tries this before we make our next batch, please let me know how it worked.

#64 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

for the squadbuster idea. use the washer pin as your ziptie holder in 1 end (like you would with the ziptie) and fill the nade up with paint as normal. then put the washer and pin on the otherside. now bend it in the middle and put a ziptie or rubber band around the middle. take a half paperclip and replace the pins with that. squadbuster looking grenade. pull pin and throw

for pleasing purposes id have the two ends facing away from each other

#65 User is offline   da1hobo 

• Forum Hobo
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DA HOBO

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

Bump for sitcky! :D

Great post dude. While I love the convience of the F-bombs this is going to save me a load of cash. I use a slightly diffrent method though. I use a rubber washer instead of plastic or metal as they are cheaper and paperclips for the pins. And I use needle nose plyers instead of clamps. It would help to have another hand but i can get it pretty easily. Total cost for about 24 cost me about $22. If you dont want to order a siringe online then check a feed store and they should have siringes there.

If you have trouble with paint seeping out between the siringe and tube then you can use a small piece of wire or zip ties. The wire is better because it can be reused.

Ive made 12 with no slip ups or problems.

Thanks agian for the post dude.

This post has been edited by da1hobo: 29 September 2006 - 01:59 PM

#66 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• SEPA Paintball Community Leader
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gerik Bensing

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

Well, for some odd reason we have the exact syrenge needed to do it. So I decided to finally grab that ol' G-4 Wet Willie tubing I kept from a game a month or two ago and got some water and went outside to see how hard/easy it would be. At first I just had water, the tubing, and a syringe, so on my attempt to refill I said "oops" as the water shot out of the tubing about 20 feet into the side of my house. No problem for me, but this pretty much means-- DO IT OUTSIDE. I wouldn't think it'd be wise to do it inside, personally.

But anyways, I got it to work then but didn't have anything to seal it so I just dropped it to see it's range and it flew away. Saddening, now I'll have to wait to get real supplies.

By the way, GREAT GUIDE!

South Eastern Pennsylvania Paintball Community is dedicated to helping organize games in the area - Join Today!
My Feedback --- All You Need to Know About Filling Your Own CO2

#67 User is offline   PercisionThreat 

• MASTER Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PercisionThreat

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:41 PM

Nice Job.

-PT

#68 User is offline   da1hobo 

• Forum Hobo
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

On a side note be careful what you add for scent.

You never know what someone will be allergic to.

#69 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

what would you suggest is the best washer size to use. 1/2 inch? or 7/16th. id perfer em sensitive but if they explode in the hand with 1/2 i wouldnt want em. what do you reccomend?

good point on that hobo.

any idea how many times you can reuse them? you should refill and deflate the nade over and over choppa and see how many it takes till it bursts

again such an excellent post

#70 User is offline   Get To The CHOPPA!! 

• DIY Grenade Expert
  • PipPip

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

View PostDream of Nullification, on Sep 29 2006, 10:02 PM, said:

what would you suggest is the best washer size to use. 1/2 inch? or 7/16th. id perfer em sensitive but if they explode in the hand with 1/2 i wouldnt want em. what do you reccomend?

any idea how many times you can reuse them? you should refill and deflate the nade over and over choppa and see how many it takes till it bursts

I used 7/16" for all the grenades you see in the photos and video. I will say, with 7/16" washers, the washer must be pulled very tight against the pin so only a little of the top fold in the tube is exposed past the washer once the pin is removed. I mean that washer has gotta be barely on there. Using a 1/2" washer, the grenade is more sensitive even if the washer is not pulled as tight against the pin, but having used both, I prefer the 7/16" washers for the little bit of added confidence they give me while pulling the pin. Just make sure if you use 7/16" pull the washer tight to the pin so they will go off with very little force. Check out the video. I know it's tough to see, but in the beginning you can see how little of the fold I leave sticking out of the washer. I suggest playing with several sizes and play with how tight you pull the washer against the pin. You will find the setting that is right for you.

In regards to how many times they can be reused, I would say MANY. My suggestion would be that if you find a spent tube with the intent on re-using it, just give it a quick visual inspection and make sure it is free of punctures. If it holds pressure, I say go ahead and refill it. I can tell you the first prototype grenade we made was refilled at least a dozen times and it never broke.

--GTTC

#71 User is offline   bobaboy007 

• Rangers lead the way!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:pbsoldier007

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:23 PM

Very nice, I'll have to try that sometime. Definatly putting my support in for a sticky.
Legacy: What will yours be? XO of Legacy
Sabre: If We Can't Do It, It Doesn't Need To Be Done!

#72 User is offline   da1hobo 

• Forum Hobo
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:25 PM

View PostDream of Nullification, on Sep 29 2006, 09:02 PM, said:

good point on that hobo.

again such an excellent post

I find the 7/16th is the best on mine. I tried many sizes but overall the 7/16th works the best. I dropped it several times and even threw it with the pin in and they never went off. The test one I made with water went off every time without the pin.

I used the "test nade" about 20-25 times and it still worked well as a normal grenade. I would say if you are not filling over 6 oz. you could use it about 40-50 times. And that is most likely the minimum. The rubber tubing is very durable and filling above 6 oz. does not put much of a strain on the tube.

However consider in the middle of a game if you throw a nade and it goes off. What do you do to reclaim it? Yell "TIME OUT! I gotta get me grenade tube back!" Or do you go back and try and find it after the game?

Side note: Choppa these nades will come in handy in the scenario game im going to in a week. Ill let you know how they perform.

#73 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:31 PM

if just wait till after the game or after you get shot out and claim it. unlike pods most dont see them as reuseable so there shouldnt be any stealing of them. even get other peoples spent grenades if they dont want em and use that tubing.

choppa do you have any ideas for black tubing? id like that more, like the ones specops uses any ideas for black tubing? aside from spraypainting a nade

#74 User is offline   Get To The CHOPPA!! 

• DIY Grenade Expert
  • PipPip

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

View Postda1hobo, on Sep 30 2006, 12:25 AM, said:

I find the 7/16th is the best on mine. I tried many sizes but overall the 7/16th works the best. I dropped it several times and even threw it with the pin in and they never went off. The test one I made with water went off every time without the pin.

I used the "test nade" about 20-25 times and it still worked well as a normal grenade. I would say if you are not filling over 6 oz. you could use it about 40-50 times. And that is most likely the minimum. The rubber tubing is very durable and filling above 6 oz. does not put much of a strain on the tube.

However consider in the middle of a game if you throw a nade and it goes off. What do you do to reclaim it? Yell "TIME OUT! I gotta get me grenade tube back!" Or do you go back and try and find it after the game?

Side note: Choppa these nades will come in handy in the scenario game im going to in a week. Ill let you know how they perform.

Glad to hear you'll be using the design in the near future! Also glad to hear you're in agreeance with the 7/16" washer. Did you try other washer sizes? I personnaly have tried 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2". 3/8" was so tight that it was very difficult to slide over the fold. 1/2" went off accidentally while pulling the pin one time (though admittedly I am working on trying to "master" this size). 7/16" is that Goldie Lock's "Just right" when it comes to washer sizes. As has been discussed, the grenades are reusable far beyond their costs as long as you can find the parts. It's more difficult than you'd think sometimes to find the tube that went flying off 15 feet away and the washer that's lost somewhere in the grass. In fact, I will wager that you will lose any or all of the parts of the original grenade before they reach the end of their useful lives. The only exception to that may be the zip tie you use as a pin ring. I have had one of these break on me while reloading a grenade.

--GTTC

#75 User is offline   da1hobo 

• Forum Hobo
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

Yes I tried all those sizes. And your right the 7/16th is the all around good.

Black rubber tubing is harder to find than the orangish, brown stuff, but you can find them online pretty easily however it will cost you extra for the black stuff.

I dont think its worth the money IMO.

Share this topic:

• (39 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users