Special Ops Paintball: Ghillie Or Not To Ghillie - Special Ops Paintball

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ghillie Or Not To Ghillie Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Ghillie or not to ghillie (228 member(s) have cast votes)

Ghillie or not to ghillie

1. Ghillie (178 votes [78.07%])

Percentage of vote: 78.07%

2. Not to ghillie (50 votes [21.93%])

Percentage of vote: 21.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 User is offline   Reb 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:No brigade affiliation

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

My take is a pretty simple one.

Ghillies are just not all that practical in paintball as far as I can see. The need for them to blend perfectly with their surrounding environment in order for them to be effective presents itself as being too tough for a paintball to accomplish.

Buying a ghillie is a ludicrous venture, since there is no promise that the area you play in, at whatever time of year it is, is going to match up with the material you bought. making your own, might be a little more effective since you know your area, and you know what it looks like.

A big problem is the effective range of the paintball marker. Simply because since we're not dealing with real world tactics and distances, we need to be pretty close for our equipment to be effective. Any and I do mean ANY mismatched camoflage is easy to pick out at 30-40 or even 50-60 feet away. You might as well be standing out in the middle of the path. In essence, I can pick out your badly matched ghillie suit long before I'm within the range of your marker.

Its just too hard for freshmen to make a ghillie well enough that they can crawl up to their opponent unseen and barrel tap him silently.

Case in point:

A few years back I attended one of the big scenario games that West Point hosted. A young kid in a ghillie suit (dark tan) was making his way through an area of dried grass. He belly crawled for about 50 meters before he found a spot he liked. Unfortuantely for him, the grass was lighter shade of tan than his suit. By the time he stopped moving below us, three players were in position to take him out. His slow movements coupled with the poorly matched ghillie won him a walk to the staging area.

I just don't see the point in them. I have never been taken out by someone wearing a ghillie suit, and I've played a lot of games.

Carry on. :)
I have never been shot by a player in a ghillie suit.

#47 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

I agree with much of what Reb and a few others say...for shorter duration games most people play, I don't think a ghillie suit is practical. To apply a ghillie suit to it's greatest advantage, you need enough time to get into position without being seen, and given the limited effective distance of paintball shots, slower stealthier stalks (low-crawls) are going to be especially necessary. If the game is less than a couple of hours, the game will be over by the time a ghillied sniper arrives at his AO.

However, there are a couple of instances where a ghillied sniper could be useful, such as helping to defend a base, since most teams start their games off around that point, which means the ghillied sniper just has to find some cover close by, and help the rest of the defense hold down the fort. The few seconds a sniper buys his team can make the difference in winning or losing, even if the sniper doesn't necessarily eliminate anyone. If the sniper was able to stay hidden long enough for the opposition to pass him and get in between him and the defense, there is an opportunity to create some real chaos. A ghillied sniper could also delay any opposition who might be pursuing his team as they return to base with the other team's flag.

For longer games or scenarios, a ghillied sniper has more time to get into position, and teams usually start off much farther apart, oftentimes far out of sight of each other, so time is available to be more stealthy. Adapting your ghillie to a particular field and improvising some local vegetation doesn't need to take that much time if you have done some advance recon and change things up before you arrive at the field. Just remember, it doesn't matter how well your ghillie matches your surroundings, everyone will take notice of a galloping bush! While a ghillie is not always practical in every game, in the same way as a sniper is not practical to every situation, it is fun, and can add another dimension of excitement to your game and overall paintball expereince.

This post has been edited by Warpaint: 01 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#48 User is offline   Antrius 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dod Soldiers

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

Ah the voice of reason as always Warpaint.

In my experience, I would have to agree with Montresor. It is not the gear its how you use it. I, by no means am an experienced player, having a whopping 4 games and a two day scenario under my belt, but I can tell you a non ghillied player who remains montionless long enough with BDU's is just a effective as a guy in a ghillie. With that said, I am however, building a custom ghillie smock using action and burlap ghillie materials for my own personal ghillie experiment. The purpose of which is not to hide but to be less visible.
I too jumped onto the sniper band wagon, and after spending lots of money on a barrett mod for my 98 I realized it was just too impractical, i.e. very heavy. I will never get rid of it b/c it does intimidate other players and I like the way it turned out. For my style of play, the silent movements of the sniper combined with the tactics of the rifleman, prove to be a real strategic advantage on the field. Dont put us ghillie men down, it could be a guy in a ghillie, as much as anyone else, that could be the difference between victory and defeat. :blink: :wacko:
Founding Member Dog Soldiers Scenario Paintball
Once more into the breach dear friends, once more....

#49 User is offline   Reb 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:No brigade affiliation

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:24 AM

View PostAntrius, on Feb 2 2007, 02:27 PM, said:

It is not the gear its how you use it.

...but I can tell you a non ghillied player who remains montionless long enough with BDU's is just a effective as a guy in a ghillie.

Bingo on both points.

With the human eye's attration to motion, the risk of being seen in a ghillie can actually be pretty high. As I mentioned before, effective range of markers dictate that targets need to be well within visual range for a shot to be a good one. At the range where our equipment is effective, a deep breath could have you cooked.

Cover and concealment is something that is learned through practice, not something you can buy.
I've hidden in mud holes and under deadfalls to keep myself hidden, with success.

Besides, wearing a ghillie doesn't make you a sniper. As I mentioned in another thread, I've been shot at by a guy in a Darth Vader costume.....that didn't make him a jedi.

You can be successful at eliminating yourself from your opponents vision with practice and practice only. The games I've played where there is a player in a ghillie, its usually easier to keep tabs on them than it is the rest of the team whose movements aren't inhibited by cumbersome gear, and the mentality that their gear is what keeps them safe and covered.
I have never been shot by a player in a ghillie suit.

#50 User is offline   captain ownage 

• GBG, Splat Tag, Hudson WI. St. Croix Minutemen
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cap. andy

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

here is what i think: There are a lot of noobs out there that think they can be sniper by buying a ghillie, and you dont need a ghillie to be an effective sniper. but if you are an experienced sniper and have a ghillie that matches your suroundings, the other team better watch their backs. in my time i have only seen a hand full of ghillies, and i really havent see any of them in action, but recently my close friend puchased a bush rag, dark green, and can be pretty much invisible if he wants to. before he got his ghillie, he was and effective sniper. the ghillie only increased his effectiveness. ex: me and my friend with the ghillie went to a normal day of open play at my local field. my friend was the last remaining player on our team, (we didnt do so well that round) and he was hiding along a small trail. there was an opponent walking down the trail cautiosly, walk within 3 feet of my friend and stopped. my friend asked him to surrender and the man replied "you got me". after that, the rest of the enemy were searching for him, and asked if everyone was out my friend yelled NO. they had to surround him before they found him.

My point is that if my friend wouldnt have had a ghillie, he probobly would have been spotted long before and the ghillie helped him out a ton. im not saying you NEED a ghillie to be a sniper, it can just help a ton sometimes.
98 custom owner
"The more you sweat during peace...the less you bleed during war"
"Do you know the binary language of moisture evaporators?"--Uncle Owen
If you think paintball snipers don't exist...you obviously haven't been owned by a real sniper.
Team captain of the ST. CROIX MINUTEMEN

#51 User is offline   Slivers 

• The charred ghost of Slivers
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Slivers

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:48 PM

The full burlap ghillie really is an encumberance, and unforgivably so in paintball. An ideal paintball ghillie suit in my view is lightweight and has much less coverage than a full suit setup, preferably with the ghillie material closely matching the BDU material. A player can't rely on it completely either. It's just there to break his outline up a bit more.
Posted Image
Flying straight above the steady stream of stars.

#52 User is offline   P 1 IVI P 1 N G 

• Team Stealth Commander
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:P 1 IVI P 1 N G

Posted 24 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

I play other positions too often to justify the cost of a Ghillie suit, but for a full-time Sniper I think it would be invaluable.
Every time somebody shoots at someone who isn't wearing a mask, someone drowns a sack of puppies.
Every time somebody purposely overshoots someone, a dolphin is harpooned and eaten alive.
Every time somebody wipes, a family of bunnies gets run over by a Steamroller. That's why they have to reproduce so fast. Theoretically, that's how dinosaurs became extinct.

Team Stealth Official Site---HEMOG

#53 User is offline   FCFER 

• Do Not Go Gentle...
  • PipPip

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:24 PM

My Opinion, No ghillie...

I have ADD when it comes to paintball. I can only sit still for 15 minutes at a time and would rather have the benefit of bounces as I'm playing. I find that if you use shadows and colors correctly and move with deliberation you can still be pretty hard to see. Its all technique. I have played with people who blended so well that they do seem to dissapear by hitting the deck, but they also spent hours and hours on the suit and the light had to be just right to do so. Personally, i'd rather run and gun...
Play Hard, Pray Harder

#54 User is offline   dogstile 

• who knew that i would become the local legend?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:dogstile

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

got to clear this up, with the camo

active camo is camo that fits into a multitude of enviroments, passive camo is stuff like realtree that can only be used in the woods

although knowing me thats probably the other way round, gah!
"tippman rocks, if you think the same, put this in your sig"
"if the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire is your paintball gear, put this in your sig"
"if you love paintball more then your relatives, put this in your sig"
"if you are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig"

#55 User is offline   ricky 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:FLANKING SNIPER

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:39 PM

REALTREE and MOSSY OAK FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \m/
also I agree with reb, but the army uses ghillie at far distances because at far distances it blends well, If you are playing close than its not going to blend meaning that realtree something that really mimikes its surronding area is better at close range, In real tree I have had many look me straght in the eyes without even noticing me. PS I'm sick of hearing people talk about ghillie as if its the end all be all of camo or that people wearing realtree or mossy oak are newbs or stupid and unexpirenced :P

This post has been edited by ricky: 17 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

Buy my A-5
My Feedback
45 Brownie points for me!

#56 User is offline   Gilla 

• Action shot!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gilla

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

I've made a ghillie suit, a wonderful and educational experience. I don't know that I'll every play in it again, but if I want to I have it.

It's the learning of it that gives a better understanding of applicable techniques.

If you're lying in wait have a buddy cover you in vegitation.

No ghillie. But I'll still keep learning with it.
Who flung poo?

#57 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

View Postricky, on Mar 17 2008, 06:39 PM, said:

REALTREE and MOSSY OAK FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \m/
also I agree with reb, but the army uses ghillie at far distances because at far distances it blends well, If you are playing close than its not going to blend meaning that realtree something that really mimikes its surronding area is better at close range, In real tree I have had many look me straght in the eyes without even noticing me. PS I'm sick of hearing people talk about ghillie as if its the end all be all of camo or that people wearing realtree or mossy oak are newbs or stupid and unexpirenced :blink:

Nah the milsim thing is just preferance just like using hunting camo in paintball. That's it.

I use mil-sim because I know how to apply it to paintball, it gives me more of a universal usage, and it's a morale booster for me.

Ghillies always have their drawbacks, ask any military sniper. However, it is extremely effective if you learn to use it properly.

Ghillies when used right are very good close up. So is digital camo in my personal experience. It is also my personal experience that Ghillies can surpass digital camo if applied right. This also goes with what any sniper will tell you.

As far as camo goes. I'm a perfectionistic, nit-picker in terms of choosing my own gear and usage of it. I find it pays off to be that way and I also make sure I don't get too hard on myself about things I do that I find out may not be useful. At the core of it, I have sportsmanship first, fun second, perfectionist third.

Fun is my number one goal, concealment is my number two goal. I tie in good sportsmanship with fun :)

I have more money in my camo than my marker. I found that to be very rewarding and very troublesome for other players facing me. :)

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

#58 User is offline   Destro 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

I think it all depends on the person wearing it. If they have the patience to move slowly a gillie suit is great. But most games I played don't last all that long and playing low and slow doesn't help much.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
0311/0321 USMC Vet 1996-2004

#59 User is offline   Ekima 

• :Grin: I like it when you run!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EKIMA

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

ghillie is many times useful to have but it's not nessisary and I think overated much of the time

EKima

#60 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

View PostDestro, on Mar 21 2008, 09:23 PM, said:

I think it all depends on the person wearing it. If they have the patience to move slowly a gillie suit is great. But most games I played don't last all that long and playing low and slow doesn't help much.

This is why I have become a very good flanker. I'm still a better ambusher but I have worked on my flanking skills a lot.

I have found that prone shots don't work as often as I would like for them to. The markers are just too inaccurate and your cover will be blown in two to three shots. This is why a lot of my shots are more of a flanker style shot which is a kneeling, sitting, and squatting shot. Small target easy to move if I need to.

as a result, my Ghillies reflect that. Should I need to be prone, I am aware my Ghillie can handle that too.

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users