Special Ops Paintball: Marbalizer vs Scorch (*PICS, 56K beware!*) - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Marbalizer vs Scorch (*PICS, 56K beware!*) Quasi-scientific review Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   arclight642 

• Safety is all of our concern.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:arclight642

Post icon  Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:06 PM

Greetings all!

Reading another thread about how a 'baller believed Scorch to be equal in performance to Marbalizer paintballs, I immediately perked up. I had never used Scorch before, but checked the paint out at the store and was unimpressed with its sphericality (*is that a word?*) and oiliness. But, after reading lots of posts on how people liked the stuff, I figured what the hell, lets give it a shot.

So I decided to test out both paints in a number of tests:

1) A controlled paper pattern test from a secure kneeling position, unobstructed view and using red dot sight. 30, 60, and 100', 3 balls each.

2) A "live fire" accuracy test from behind cover on the field, against an empty jug on another bunker, representing a mask poking up out of cover, using red dot sight. 100', 10 balls each.

3) A ball breakage test against a carpet covered pallet bunker wall, known for bouncing balls. 30', 10 shots each.

4) A "live fire" pattern and ball breakage test against a carpet covered pallet bunker wall, rapid semi-automatic fire. 30', 10 balls each.

The balls used were a bag of Scorch paint purchased from Wal Mart just today, and a bag of Marbalizer paint purchased two weeks ago. As expected, the Marbalizers were rigid of shell, almost perfectly spherical, almost seamless, and with very very light oil. The Scorch was rigid of shell, spherical with some light evidence of dimpling/flatness on small portions, light evidence of seams, and no oil at all.

Posted Image

The tools used were my A5 with stock internals but polished smooth marker walls, an OPSGEAR MP5K-PDW folding stock, a Tippmann A5 Low Pressure Kit with Palmer Fatty Regulater operating at 375PSI off of CO2, a JCS offset sight rail supporting a SwatForce 30mm Red Dot sight, and a Smart Parts 16" Progressive barrel. Woof:)

Posted Image

I opted for the bunker area of our local field to do the test since this is where I play at almost exclusively. Thank you paintball gods for providing us with such a great, free field!!

Posted Image

The results from the first test were as follows:

Paper Pattern Tests

Both the Marbalizer and the Scorch kept a single-handsbreadth pattern at 30 and 60'. At 100', however, the Scorch pattern opened up to about a 16" radius, whereas the Marbalizer kept to about 6", with one extra shot disregarded as a "flyer" when my foot slipped on a branch as I fired.

Marbalizer Pattern:

Posted Image
Shots taken at 30, 60, and 100' from left to right.

Scorch Pattern:

Posted Image
Shots at 30'.

Posted Image
Shots at 100' and 60' from left to right, sorry for the change. :blink:

Here is an extra shot of the Scorch patterns, snapped from 60' to give an idea of the middle distance I was shooting at:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/arcl...0FeetScorch.jpg

Live Fire Accuracy Test

Here is a shot of the distance I was shooting at......can you see the empty milk jug?

Posted Image

The Marbalizers had 4 hits on the empty jug, with 1 break. 4 more shots were within 2" of the jug itself, which is the sort of accuracy I expect to get out of my marker. The remaining two shots went off into the wild blue yonder:)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/arcl...reakAccTest.jpg

The Scorch (*even if I misspelled it on the jug!!*), had 4 hits on the empty jug, with 3 breaks. 4 more shots were within 2" of the jug itself, with the final two only God knows where.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/arcl...reakAccTest.jpg

Ball Breakage Test:

Fired at a steady pace against the carpet pallet bunker wall, the Marbs broke 9/10 balls and the Scorch 7/10 balls. The Scorch fill gave a better burst pattern than the Marbalizer.

Posted Image

Live Fire Pattern and Breakage Test:

Both paints broke 9/10 balls on rapid fire semiautomatic, but the Scorch held a tighter pattern at close range.

Posted Image

Conclusion:

I was truly amazed that the Scorch held its own so well against my beloved Marbalizer! All in summation, the Marbalizer really only truly exceeded the Scorch in the extreme range tests.

I give props to the Marbs for long range accuracy and recommend it to anyone who regularly shoots at these distances. Price is a problem with these balls certainly, so not for the average user!

I give props to the far cheaper Scorch for short to mid range accuracy, and brightness of fill--I will recommend these to most typical 'balers on the field! Ball breakage seemed to be a problem against the carpet bunker, which is similar in rigidity to a person in heavy clothing.

So for me, I will continue to purchase Marbalizer for my sharpshooter style of play, but am dumping my short to mid range choice of Monster Balls like a hot potato in favor of Scorch!

arclight642

(*PS: Sorry, had to change some of the inserted pics to links to get the post to fly!*)

arc
IPB Image

How many balls per second are you going to miss me with? --unknown baller

Do your duty, no matter what may come. --Jacques DeMolay

#2 User is offline   Tranzile 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Tranzile

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:12 PM

Nice job marc i like the results,I'll think about getting marbs.gonna miss yah man. :P
W

#3 User is offline   Aurora Knight 

• Semper Fi
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Spartan 043

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

Great Review! This definately changed my mind about getting Marbs. They are too expensive.

All Wars are Civil wars, for all men are brothers.
HOTTEST Karnivor EVER! http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=161438

#4 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:39 PM

Interesting, I have used them both before, and liked them, but the price of the Marbs was too steep for me to use all the time.

#5 User is offline   Led Zeppelin 

• Now own a EGO 06
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Led Zeppelin

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

I'm glad someone did some myth solving, and included real series of tests and pictures ;)

#6 User is offline   arclight642 

• Safety is all of our concern.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:arclight642

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

Thank you:)

I was quite surprised myself at how well Scorch performed......I always figured those who pumped the stuff had just never had an experience with the really high end paint.

Proved my dumper wrong!!:o

arclight642
IPB Image

How many balls per second are you going to miss me with? --unknown baller

Do your duty, no matter what may come. --Jacques DeMolay

#7 User is offline   Pneumaniac227 

• Certified Pump Paintball Crash Dummy
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

A very good test.

However, please accept this as constructive criticism. You test was prone to producing many inconsistancies. Why? Well, if your slipping on a branch, though extremely funny, didn't give it away, then, well...

...my point is. Rapid fire. You're using an A-5. They have a decent bit of kick. Enough that 10 rounds in rapid fire would cause your pattern to start opening up. So, unless your gun was clamped into a secure position, then it is possible that not every shot was fired exactly the same. Just saying.

However, apart from that, it was still a very good review. Even with the incosistancies involved, you were still able to make a conclusion that just about everyone here, including myself, should agree with.

Maybe I should try some Scorch? I'll let you know how that goes.
Digi Camo Program Web Dog Radio The Whiteboard
"Hype, cease and desist orders, and lawsuits are ruining our sport" club member #4
My Feedback (+8/-0) My Stuff For Sale!!! My Website
"The Ironmen though, are like the Yankees. I dont really care for them, but I would still place a bet on them." -ghostinthewood

#8 User is offline   The Hobbit 

• Formerly Shadowlord
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

I have yet to use marbs(to expensive for me). I do however use scorch religiosly for outlaw. I have shot thousands of that brand and have yet to be dissapointed. I have never had one break in gun or barrel. My only complaint is taht they have a tendincy to bounce at longet ranges or even at close ranges on people with eatra padding whether it be natural or unnatural.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   KillerShadow 

• I Have A Spyder Pilot ACS =D
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:KillerShadow

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:35 PM

Good review, now I got an insite on marbz and scorchs! :D

#10 User is offline   HelicopterPilot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HelicopterPilot

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:07 PM

Interestnig Review. Definetely gives me info on how Scorch fares against other paint brands. I guess I will try out a case of scorch since I have been hearing good stuff about them.

Tippmann Owner #107 & Sabre # ╥ (Pi)

#11 User is offline   kingcole 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

When using scorch, I just hope you know that if you gog someone, just just put the nasties taist in the world in their mouth.

This post has been edited by kingcole: 18 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

#12 User is offline   marcksman 

• MARCKSMAN
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MARCKSMAN

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

Great post its hard too imagine how a ball that cheap actully can compete too a marballizer.

#13 User is offline   Fanky 

• You would say that, Walk-on Player...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Fanky

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:34 PM

I might have to try scorch sometime. I get Flash RPS for 30 a case and it shoots nice, but the next time I have 10 bucks, I'll get a box of scorch to try out.

#14 User is offline   zWarlord 

• Thought Police
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:zWarlord

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:52 PM

I would just like to make a point here about scorch. Game face stopped producing these particular paintballs about 6 months ago (they revamped thier entire paint line). Any left on the shelf will be quite old and have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere, and it was probably hot. They have been replaced with IMPACT. This is essentialy the same paint just upgraded a little. So it may be best to let all the scorch get outta circulation, and impact come in before buying them. Just in case anyone doubts me (had to defend this before) here is the link showing gameface's new paint lineup.
http://gamefacepaint....com/site/paint

Dont take this as mindless bashing/flaming , i LOVE scorch and used it at any BYOP game, i just dont like the idea that what i am shooting is gonna be at least 6 months old.

This post has been edited by zWarlord: 22 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

Proud USF Bull

I am but a lifeguard in the human gene pool

#15 User is offline   Combat sniper 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:00 PM

Very good review, huge props

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +