• You cannot reply to this topic

Attention all sight users! A debate on sights. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   haloboy 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:haloboy

Post icon  Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

My father says that sights are just a "Gimic" and are put on paintball guns for the look. He said that since paintball guns are shooting non-rifled projectiles it is not exactally accurate and a scope or red dot sight would be useless because the paintballs wouldnt go where the sight or dot is pointing.Now what im asking is do you think sights are useful and if so how?I see people using them all the time and I used to think that they were useless on paintball guns but im no expert so why not learn from others.

#2 User is offline   Churp 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Churp

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

My sight works fine for me. With a good barrel, a good paint to bore match, and proper velocity settings ( around 270 FPS is where I shoot best ) paintballs are actually pretty accurate at reasonable ranges. ATM I'm using the sight that came stock on my A-5, so you don't even really need anything fancy.

Keep in mind though, the further away someone is, the better the chance that the paintball will go off course.

As for how, I play as a sniper. I like to spend the least amount of paint possible per kill, the best scenario being a one shot kill. Usually I take my shots when someone is anywhere between 10-60 feet away. The closer the better, and the sight takes the guesswork out of my shot.

Churp

#3 User is offline   raptorbite 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:raptorbite

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

hmm non rifled ehh?ever heard of smoothbored rifles?
I miss the old days of sword beach and such

#4 User is offline   TheDarkRacer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Mechanic

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

haha plz tell ur dad hes wrong, i had my sight zeroed at one point. I gave it to my friend to see if he could shoot and he was hitting the same spot over and over again(a cardboard box from like 20-30 feet away. but with longer shots u gotta arc the ball a bit.. but they work man im telln you.. hehe

#5 User is offline   SWATORNOT 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:MONITOR

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

Ask your dad this one;

"Would you rather shoot without a reference point, or with one?"

Point of that reference point being any sight whether it be an optical sight such as a Red Dot, or a fixed site such as what is found on the A5. Either way, a player/shooter with any type of sight (reference point) will be more likely to hit what they want to shoot at the first time then a player/shooter that doesn't have a reference point.

I really hate to use speedballers as an example, but here goes anyways;
How do you think most of these players learn to aim? I will tell you, probably 90% of them learn to "walk the paint" to their target. You know, the massive ropes of paint can be followed like a solid line to their target, but you are also shooting a lot of excess paint in the process.

Without any reference point (and some speedball players have the first shot skills instead of walking their paint) you simply are just "shooting it out there" hoping for a hit. With a sight, you have a higher probability of hitting something the first time, or within the first 3 times than you would without something.

Ask your dad if he prefers to shoot a pistol/rifle without any fixed sights on it, or with some?

This post has been edited by MONITOR: 17 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

<div align="center"><b><a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79662" target="_blank">How-To: Flatline Barrel</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79663" target="_blank">How-To: Polished Internals</a>
<a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=72814&hl=How-To" target="_blank">How-To: Vest Care 101</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79660" target="_blank">How-To: Start Your Own Team</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79661" target="_blank">How-To: Ghillie Mask</a>
<a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=78548" target="_blank">Silencer Laws</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showforum=61" target="_blank">Forum FAQs</a>
</div></b>

#6 User is offline   haloboy 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:haloboy

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:21 AM

View PostMONITOR, on Aug 17 2006, 08:17 PM, said:

Ask your dad this one;

"Would you rather shoot without a reference point, or with one?"

Point of that reference point being any sight whether it be an optical sight such as a Red Dot, or a fixed site such as what is found on the A5. Either way, a player/shooter with any type of sight (reference point) will be more likely to hit what they want to shoot at the first time then a player/shooter that doesn't have a reference point.

I really hate to use speedballers as an example, but here goes anyways;
How do you think most of these players learn to aim? I will tell you, probably 90% of them learn to "walk the paint" to their target. You know, the massive ropes of paint can be followed like a solid line to their target, but you are also shooting a lot of excess paint in the process.

Without any reference point (and some speedball players have the first shot skills instead of walking their paint) you simply are just "shooting it out there" hoping for a hit. With a sight, you have a higher probability of hitting something the first time, or within the first 3 times than you would without something.

Ask your dad if he prefers to shoot a pistol/rifle without any fixed sights on it, or with some?

yea but the point is for a paintball gun not a pistol or rifle of coarse then a sight would be appropriate but what my dad also said was that basically since paintballs are not that accurate its more on the lines of "judgement" on whether your gonna hit the person or not ,not the sight.

View PostTheDarkRacer, on Aug 17 2006, 08:09 PM, said:

haha plz tell ur dad hes wrong, i had my sight zeroed at one point. I gave it to my friend to see if he could shoot and he was hitting the same spot over and over again(a cardboard box from like 20-30 feet away. but with longer shots u gotta arc the ball a bit.. but they work man im telln you.. hehe

yes but if your arcing the ball you have to lift the gun making the sight pointing up and the paint shooting arched

#7 User is offline   deadeye50 

• I'm an optimist's worst nightmare... truth.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:deadeye50

Post icon  Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

View Postraptorbite, on Aug 17 2006, 07:49 PM, said:

hmm non rifled ehh?ever heard of smoothbored rifles?

Uh.........If it doesnt have rifling it is not a rifle rifling makes a gun a rifle if it was smooth bore it would be called a musket. You can not have a non rifled rifle it is contradictary of itself. I can tell :) you dont shoot anything but paintball guns....... :D

This post has been edited by deadeye50: 18 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

"Sure you can trust the goverment. Just ask an Indian."
"If you want peace prepare for war" You can't spell crap without rap.
Mercy is what they call it when you miss what you're shooting at.

#8 User is offline   SWATORNOT 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:MONITOR

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:13 PM

View Posthaloboy, on Aug 18 2006, 10:21 AM, said:

yea but the point is for a paintball gun not a pistol or rifle of coarse then a sight would be appropriate but what my dad also said was that basically since paintballs are not that accurate its more on the lines of "judgement" on whether your gonna hit the person or not ,not the sight.

Yea and? Doesn't shooting a paintball marker with a reference point (ie sight) give you a higher probability to hit something the first time around?

Real firearms or not, the very basic principles of shooting apply here regardless of accuracy, or distance.
<div align="center"><b><a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79662" target="_blank">How-To: Flatline Barrel</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79663" target="_blank">How-To: Polished Internals</a>
<a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=72814&hl=How-To" target="_blank">How-To: Vest Care 101</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79660" target="_blank">How-To: Start Your Own Team</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=79661" target="_blank">How-To: Ghillie Mask</a>
<a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=78548" target="_blank">Silencer Laws</a> <a href="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showforum=61" target="_blank">Forum FAQs</a>
</div></b>

#9 User is offline   Aurora Knight 

• Semper Fi
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Spartan 043

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

View Posthaloboy, on Aug 17 2006, 04:32 PM, said:

He said that since paintball guns are shooting non-rifled projectiles it is not exactally accurate and a scope or red dot sight would be useless because the paintballs wouldnt go where the sight or dot is pointing.

If you zero-in your sight correctly, then your sight will help you dramatically. They are anything BUT a gimmick.

All Wars are Civil wars, for all men are brothers.
HOTTEST Karnivor EVER! http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=161438

#10 User is offline   ironwasp 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ironwasp

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

okay all players nuse some point of reference when shooting (if you dont you are not gonna hit what you want. i play speed ball the first referance is when i shoulder the gun it should always fall into your shoulder the same way. My second point of reference(make shift sight) is the point where the feedneck enters the body( i use this like a cross hair and place it center mass. its important to set up your gun so it automatically fall into the same comfortable place. Consistency of place ment is essential in archery as well as any shooting sport. two men shooting the same gun even with a scope will have differant points of impact unless they have the exact physical paramiters this is one reason every soldier has to zero a weapon himself upon issue. Basically what you are doing is balancing the front of the tube and back of the tube(barrel)to hit the appropriate point of impact. a scope just makes it easier to adjust for things that will affect the projectile along its path(wind,loss of projectile velocity, shooter comfort etc. i just sorta put out a low and dirty feel free to criticize. sights are a helpful tool on my speed ball gun i rely on my intinct but do well because of a set repeatable referance point. on my woodball gun I am getting a scope
i will give up my marker only after you pry my cold rigid fingers from the trigger

#11 User is offline   UV Halo 

• Blacklight Baller
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:UV Halo

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

I am frequently asked if my sight helps me on the field.

Short answer- first shot yes. After that, I'm watching where my shots are going.

Long answer- If you have your sight properly dialed in, yes. The hardest part about using it when dialed in is that you must be able to range your target so, you know how much you need to elevate. My left right deviation is not that significant (using marbs and a freak kit) it's my misjudging distance that causes me to miss my targets.

The problem with using a single point of reference like Ironwasp described is that you will not be able to detect minute changes in elevation or left-right movement. Getting it properly shouldered will certainly help but, a two point reference system (front and rear iron sites, or a properly adjusted dot site).

Unfortunately, speedball is not a very useful example of site usage. The ranges are so close that you can be off by those minute amounts and still hit what your aiming at. You barely need to elevate at all to hit the back field.

But, to be clear, never bother with getting a scope (anything with magnafication) they cause increased tunnelvision (by forcing you to close one eye) and, they are overkill at the ranges of paintball, doing no better than a dot site.

#12 User is offline   ironwasp 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ironwasp

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

Actually what im gonna get for a scope is desighned for archery. im looking at using somthing with elevation marks so i can attempt to maximize the range of my marker and be consistant. if it has any magnification it will only be like 2x or 3, has any one else ever tried this? also this gun will be strictly for sniping. just experimental will see what happens. it may turn out impractical but i will attempt to lob some balls and see what happens.
i will give up my marker only after you pry my cold rigid fingers from the trigger

#13 User is offline   thatGuy 

• caution offensive content
  • PipPip

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:34 AM

View Postironwasp, on Aug 24 2006, 06:50 PM, said:

Actually what im gonna get for a scope is desighned for archery. im looking at using somthing with elevation marks so i can attempt to maximize the range of my marker and be consistant. if it has any magnification it will only be like 2x or 3, has any one else ever tried this? also this gun will be strictly for sniping. just experimental will see what happens. it may turn out impractical but i will attempt to lob some balls and see what happens.

Posted Image

looks like it might work if you can find a way to mount it. I'd really like to see a company make an optic just for PB. Maybe 2x35mm and ball drop calibrated. Hell, I might even settle for a ball drop compensator for some standard optics.

So, do sights help ?

Yes, they do, but they aren't going to give you any kind of accuracy that you would gain from a real firearm with a red dot. For PB having a sight really jsut allows me to conserve paint. Since I'm not "walking" as many shots onto the target. The sight gives me a frame of refference as to where the ball should go. So instead of shooting 15 balls and landing 1, I'm shooting 10 balls and landing 3.

#14 User is offline   Phillips 

• You don't hear me coming till it's to late
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Phillips-apex-addict

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:02 AM

I find I can just get used to the way my marker shoots and have first shot accuracy, yet I know from experience with multiple SCOPES that they can be very useful and effective in woodsball and scenario ball, especially the high end scopes as they can zero in on very very very close objects.
USe whatever works for you. I just find I don't need one, I use the knowledge of my markers abilities better to hit the target than I woudl to take the small ammoutn of time to look through an object finder.
Use what ever you like and don't let anyone tell you it's rubbish( so don;t come to the U.K. there are a lot of them around here) :D
PEace.
Every hole is a goal. :D

#15 User is offline   Terriss 

• I am the ghillie cowboy.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Terriss

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

First off your dad is 3/4 right. SCOPES WITH MAGNIFICATION ARE THE BIGGEST NO NO ANYONE COULD EVER HAVE ON A GUN. Unless its for a purely cosmetic gun competition, then put one on.

On the matter of other sites. If your marker has built in sites, then those are the most accurate you can find. And they are usually accurate of up to 50 yards. As for electric red dot sites. These are mostly accurate (speaking from experience), but not up to 50 yards. I find them very good up to 20 yards, but find them almost always need on-site adjustment after 30 yards. Most of the time your marker will not have enough push to keep the ball straight.

98% of teenagers have tried pot. If your the 2% who havent, put this in your sig.

Writer's Unite! Join the UFWU! (Unofficial Facebook Writer's Union).

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users