Special Ops Paintball: Do you carry a gun around when you ref? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you carry a gun around when you ref? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Do you carry some sort of gun around when you ref? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you carry some sort of gun around when you ref?

1. Yes (14 votes [30.43%])

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

2. No (32 votes [69.57%])

Percentage of vote: 69.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Scavies 

• DIY Extrordinaire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Valjean

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

Hey just wondering. Even like an airsoft gun if someone is being a prick or something.
FREE stock picks and market analysis by a self-taught day trader!
TradersBase.com

#2 User is offline   NeverNamed068 

• Eddie!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:*Shotgun*

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:00 PM

I have never seen a ref with a firearm! Do you mean paintball marker? Lol...I don't see refs with paintball guns or airsoft or anything.

#3 User is offline   Ionix 

• Smart Parts owner #60, ION owner #29
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ionix

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:24 PM

ive never seen it. at my local field to many kids would get shot by the ref, hehe, They only carry around a squeggie and throw it at kids, ive seen it.

#4 User is offline   redman 

• Redman
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:woodsballplayer01@yahoo.com

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

No, what would possibly be the reasoning behind them having one on them. I don't care if someone's being a "prick", there's no reason to shoot a pb marker at them. Your the ref, just kick them off the field or sit them for a game or two. And i'd say NEVER bring an airsoft gun out on the field. It's PAINTBALL, and only PAINTBALL markers should be on the field of play.
MY FEEDBACK Ebay feedback
Visit my team's website at WWW.PBTEAMWOW.COM

#5 User is offline   JJaxx 

• Sneaky S.O.B.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JJaxx

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

I don't need a gun when i ref. My booming voice works well.
My Feedback!
Team Capt. of Shadow Force. "Fear the shadows"

#6 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

I see refs with markers occasionally...its a nice friendly reminder to someone that they're out...Catch the drift?

-Tenacious

#7 User is offline   SilentMarksman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SilentMarksman

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

I think he means a paintball or airsoft gun.

and no, refs shouldnt carry a paintball marker with them imo.......a ref shield and maybe a loudspeaker would be good.
:)

#8 Guest_mongoose_33_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

when i ref i don't carry a gun, i think there is no point. if some one is being a punk just take them off the field....no like literally...drag them if you have to

#9 User is offline   Pyrate Jim 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

Tell me, have you ever seen a football referee tackle a player during a game?

"Back in the day" there were few fields around to play on. It was generally a rule that when you got hit, you became a ref, and many of us carried an orange vest in a pocket to put on and indicate that you were no longer active in the game. (even though you might still be carrying your marker with a plug in it)

Nobody I know would even consider that a ref would be able to shoot someone who was still in the game. I never heard of it until I came here, to this specops board.
I find the concept disgraceful.

A Referee is a Judge, and therefore must be separate and above the players. Once you allow refs to involve themselves in the play, then there is no distinction between refs and players.

One of the basic criteria for being a ref is the ability to pull a player once you have determined that they have been eliminated. If you can't do that, then you are not a ref.
There should be no need to escalate the problem when you have a miscreant player to deal with. Laying hands on someone is absolutely out of the question, no matter how badly they deserve it.
I've had to stand in front of a player and refuse to move, taking multiple hits from close range rather than allow him to continue play after I had called him out. Being a ref means sometimes putting yourself in jeapordy, that's part of the job.
Having a ref that can shoot you during a game is identical to having a ref physically grab a player to shut him down. It's not acceptable behavior from someone who is supposed to be the authority figure.

And shooting a player to "get his attention"??!?
Excuse me, but it's a refs' JOB to have the attention of players at all times. A player who does not pay attention to the ref may be penalized in many ways, and should be. But ONLY at a level above merely behaving like another noob and shooting him in the arse. Face it, to be a Ref means you are part of field management with all the responsibilities and authority to go along with it. Sit a player out, or have him ejected from from the field, but never do anything that could be construed as biased or less than professional.

So it boils down to either you are a (live) player able to shoot someone, or you are a ref and outside the game behaving like a judge.

Just my opinion, based on 18+ years of paintball. (so far)
CT co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals
http://www.pbmarshals.com/
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6

#10 User is offline   Nemesis39 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Kill-Kill

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:41 PM

also if i'm running through the forest and i see a guy standing their with a gun, i'm gonna shoot him. it would be stupid and i'm sure the refs would get shot up alot more by people confusing them for real players.

#11 User is offline   Meuchelmorder 

• Demon Hunter
  • PipPip

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:02 AM

View Postredman, on Aug 10 2006, 05:42 PM, said:

No, what would possibly be the reasoning behind them having one on them. I don't care if someone's being a "prick", there's no reason to shoot a pb marker at them. Your the ref, just kick them off the field or sit them for a game or two. And i'd say NEVER bring an airsoft gun out on the field. It's PAINTBALL, and only PAINTBALL markers should be on the field of play.

QFT

View PostNemesis39, on Aug 10 2006, 10:41 PM, said:

also if i'm running through the forest and i see a guy standing their with a gun, i'm gonna shoot him. it would be stupid and i'm sure the refs would get shot up alot more by people confusing them for real players.

QFT

Oh, and nice post Jim. :P

#12 User is offline   JesterTLS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:49 AM

We use role playing ref's in many of our games. And on the rare occasion the role players are armed. Most of the time they are not armed, but some times they are depending on the role.

After the role is eliminated out of the game, they go toss on a vest and go to where ever assistance may be needed with reffing. If a fire fight breaks out while they are role playing, they are to assist the base ref if needed. Basicly it puts more ref's on the field.

It's not like I just carry a Zues when I am a regular ref. I dont need to give the players a reason to shoot me any more than they do now.
Team ODX (Operational Detachment X-Ray)
OSF Operator's Strike Force
www.scenariosupply.com www.cdpaintball.com

#13 Guest_Jester3_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

If you need to take a marker to call people out, you're not doing you're job in the way it needs to be done.

#14 User is offline   Kold Fusion 

• Lest we Forget
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kold Fusion

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

I carry a G2 when it's a game of 15+ players to one ref. I've never had to shoot someone but it's a deterent for them not to shoot you.

I've had a case where I wish I had one and I didn't so if I carry one I shouldn't need it according to Murphy and I do not want to shoot players.

Cheers,
K. Fusion

#15 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 11 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

While I must say I agree with Pirate Jim (Are you the same Pirate Jim from 24hourgames?), I must admit that usually I carry around my T-68 pistol in a leg holster when I ref. I also carry my Ref shield (made from an old Dish Network Satellite dish).

However, I do this because we occasionally get some major [jerks] that come play. They find it funny to shoot the ref, and don't like to listen. We do our best to remove them from the field, but sometimes the [jerks] won't listen until you whip out a pistol and pop them one in the lense. Keep in mind, I only use this as a last resort (and infact have only used it twice in 1.5 years of reffing at the field).

My problem is, I'm 17. The two people I have had to use it on where both older than me (college students) and didn't feel they had to listen to me. I'd much rather just pull the guy from the field, but it doesn't always work. Paint covering thier lense forces them off the field where you can deal with them easier (because you're not in the middle of a paintball game.)

98% of the time my size and voice is enough to get them off the field, but occasionally you need a little more. Also, people think twice about shooting you "on accident" when you have something to shoot back with.

...I also switch back and forth from Player to Ref, and once I get my holster set, I don't like taking it off :dodgy:
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users