#121 User is offline   cowboy#9 

• you cant see me but i can see you
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cowboy#9

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:59 PM

lookin to build a field for me and my friends. thanks for all the info :(
"tippman rocks, if you think the same, put this in your sig"
"if the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire is your paintball gear, put this in your sig"
"if you love paintball more then your relatives, put this in your sig"
"if you are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig"
"if you are a christian paintballer add this to your sig "

#122 User is offline   125blackfire 

• Stock Class
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:125blackfire

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:29 PM

that is realy nice but i dont think ill be opening a feild anyyime soon lol. well the idea and diograms are amseing i lerned alot by just looking at pichers (and reading the first 3 parografs then i said ah i wana see the pichers. but what about if it rains wont the trenchs get filled with mud?
The black of the shadows will hide the awesome fire power of 1BPS about hit you!
http://www.cbf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homev3

#123 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sheriff_Matt

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:11 AM

View Post125blackfire, on Feb 10 2008, 07:29 PM, said:

that is realy nice but i dont think ill be opening a feild anyyime soon lol. well the idea and diograms are amseing i lerned alot by just looking at pichers (and reading the first 3 parografs then i said ah i wana see the pichers. but what about if it rains wont the trenchs get filled with mud?

Well, not necessarily. It depends on where you live, and the type of soil you have. Our field gets rain on quite a bit during the winter, as well as snowed on(2 feet of snow right now), and we don't have problems with standing water. It always runs off, or the ground soaks it up.

I think there was a little bit about this already in the thread somewhere though.

#124 User is offline   125blackfire 

• Stock Class
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:125blackfire

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:11 AM

what if it rains? will the holes fill up with mud?
The black of the shadows will hide the awesome fire power of 1BPS about hit you!
http://www.cbf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homev3

#125 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:03 PM

View Post125blackfire, on Feb 18 2008, 11:11 AM, said:

what if it rains? will the holes fill up with mud?

Depends on the soil. The soil we have up here drains quickly and no, the holes do not fill up with mud. This could be a potential problem in other areas where there's a lot of loose soil on the surface and hard clay underneath, which could cause of lot of erosion, and mud in the top layers of soil. The best way to prevent this is to use retaining walls of some sort, and always build a drainage system into your foxholes, or bunkers.

#126 User is offline   Princejohn1985 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:PRINCEJOHN

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:18 AM

Some good info, wish I knew about it before I started building mine, could you help me with my current set up? most of its set in stone so I have to approve upon what I have, its a private fairly thick wooded 2.5-3 acre field. here are some pictures these were taken before Fall, most of the stuff in the pics are unfinished and a few things have been modified and reinforce since then. Btw Think I should I still make people sign a wavier?

here is a map of the field. The whole area is wooded but I included the holly trees cause you can hide an army in thier and not see them. also I'd like to point out the other side of the field is a hill but it has a shallow grade.
Posted Image

Fort known as the Industrial area, its really hard to defend and once in it you have no were to go. Cover on 3 sides and you can go inside the building in the middle (can fit around 3 people maybe 4) it has 3 gun ports to shoot from. Need a lot of ideas/help for this place.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...cture%20002.jpg

Fortified bunker, good bunker its main propose is to protect against creek crossing, downside is I built it to close to the Industrial center which weakens the fort even more.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...cture%20003.jpg

same bunker the creek is behind me and the fort to the right (can't really see it in the pic) this is a choke point 70% of the action ends up here, I have plans to build a bridge here other then that I'd like some more Ideas for this location since itís a hot spot. Also added a few more view points.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...cture%20019.jpg
http://img235.images...cture005gs5.jpg
http://img235.images...cture004xf2.jpg

This is on the Main path on the hill towards Fort Knox (Fort Knox hasn't been built yet but I've planed it to be the center flag base) simple but it has saved me, the path is around 8-10 feet wide so I was thinking of putting these up and down it in a few places, think itís a good Idea?
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...cture%20008.jpg
http://img141.images...cture017xz4.jpg
http://img156.images...cture009ae9.jpg

This is before you get to Fort Knox I thought it would be a good design for a bunker its worked out pretty good so I'll prob put up some more.
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...cture%20010.jpg

One of the main entrances to the trenches, its at the bottom of the hill and makes for an great sniper position rarely can any one be seen in this loc especially in summer.
http://img141.images...cture007is2.jpg
http://img135.images...cture011in8.jpg

This is considered the outlaw side of the field (Trenches) its not on my land but I couldn't pass it up its my fav part of the field, it has one entrenched area naturally made, impossible to dig cause of roots and red clay. I haven't found any negatives yet other then it needs a little more cover (I haven't actually built the fort yet but its still quite a functional base).
http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade...cture%20013.jpg
http://img135.images...cture014cl2.jpg

looking down from the trenches, theirs a creek at the bottom but its not visible. the 2nd one is of the trench its bigger/deeper then it looks but it can only hold around 3 maybe 4.
http://img141.images...cture015ip4.jpg
http://img135.images...cture016sz8.jpg

This post has been edited by Princejohn1985: 22 February 2008 - 01:57 AM

#127 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

View PostPrincejohn1985, on Feb 22 2008, 02:18 AM, said:

Think I should I still make people sign a wavier? Yea, it's probably a good idea.

here is a map of the field. The whole area is wooded but I included the holly trees cause you can hide an army in thier and not see them. also I'd like to point out the other side of the field is a hill but it has a shallow grade. hmmm...You might want to reconsider the layout of the field so it's not so lopsided. Usually you want to start with two bases that are equally defendable/attackable. But, since you've already said it's mainly set in stone, you might want to think about making the bases/bunkers that are on top of the hill a lot less fortified in order to even the playing field.

Fort known as the Industrial area, its really hard to defend and once in it you have no were to go. Cover on 3 sides and you can go inside the building in the middle (can fit around 3 people maybe 4) it has 3 gun ports to shoot from. Need a lot of ideas/help for this place. Yea, this looks like it's pretty well built up. The design seems good, but if it's not usable then it's not doing you any good. You want to make sure your bunkers, especially the main bases, are easily entered/exited. It would also be nice if it was easily defendable. You may want to think about lightening it up a bit, maybe taking out a wall, or opening up another side of it. This might make it a lot better, but it could also ruin the whole thing. You just need to experiment until you find something that works well in your situation.

Fortified bunker, good bunker its main propose is to protect against creek crossing, downside is I built it to close to the Industrial center which weakens the fort even more.

same bunker the creek is behind me and the fort to the right (can't really see it in the pic) this is a choke point 70% of the action ends up here, I have plans to build a bridge here other then that I'd like some more Ideas for this location since itís a hot spot. Also added a few more view points. Hmm...Well, it's really a little bit hard to go from the pictures you posted, but I would say if that's where your action is 70% of the time, I wouldn't think about how to make THIS area better, but to figure out why all of the other areas funnel all the action into this area. My guess is because it's a whole lot easier to come down that hill accross the bridge than it is to fight your way accross the bridge and then up the hill.

This is on the Main path on the hill towards Fort Knox (Fort Knox hasn't been built yet but I've planed it to be the center flag base) simple but it has saved me, the path is around 8-10 feet wide so I was thinking of putting these up and down it in a few places, think itís a good Idea? Yea, those look like they might work, but they don't look too incredibly impervious to paintballs. I would consider using material that is a little bit more protective, like instead of leaning all the sticks, try finding some plywood to place there and drill some 2 inch holes in it.

Everything else looks like it's ok. The best thing to do is, whenever you build a new bunker/base, test it out. If you notice nobody using it, you don't need it. Take it down and use the materials for something else. If you notice that nobody uses it for a specific reason, try setting it up differently and test it again. Testing bunkers involves quite a few games because not every game is going to be the same, you may not HAVE to use certain bunkers in certain games. You'll want to make sure you let the field get tested for a little while before you start making conclusions as to whether or not you want to change something.

If you notice that everything just seems to be a mess and nothing you do can seem to fix it...start fresh. Take EVERYTHING down and start from scratch. It's a pain, but it's really the best thing to do. We've had to change so many of the bunkers on our field over the time, there's only one or two on the whole field that are in the original position. There's only ONE bunker that is still in it's original spot AND in it's original condition. A woodsball field, in general, is going to be changing all the time, you just have to be willing to go with it.

#128 User is offline   SOLIDUS SNAKE 

• dislikes his own avvy
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CORPORATE ASSASIN

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:17 PM

i dont want to waste space in this thread but i had to thank everyone who has posted helpful information. After reading this thread i more or less became inspired. I took 4 of my paintball buddies out to our field with shovles. After 1 weekend and what seemed like countless hours we made vast improvements. Thank you to everyone involved and especially sheriff matt.

Out of all the threads i have read in this forum this may be the most helpful, i dont take that lightly as i hope you dont.
RAP 4, We Make All Those Terrible Products Nobody Asked For - C-3
My feedback

#129 User is offline   Princejohn1985 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

Thanks Sheriff Matt, limited on material atm but once I get some palettes then I can go crazy, Were talking towers, pillboxes and the works! I'm curious to see what configuration you think would be best for this field, I have a blank map of the field, could you show me? Like you said it will be a pain to take it down but I defiantly want all the fun I can get out of it.

I added another zone to the field last month (last map didn't show it) so the trenches can be flanked on 2 sides, I also added landmarks and most traveled paths. Some were in the Blue rectangle is were I plan to set up a netted safe zone.
http://img141.images...ballmap5qz9.jpg

This post has been edited by Princejohn1985: 22 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

#130 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

View PostPrincejohn1985, on Feb 22 2008, 08:58 PM, said:

Thanks Sheriff Matt, limited on material atm but once I get some palettes then I can go crazy, Were talking towers, pillboxes and the works! I'm curious to see what configuration you think would be best for this field, I have a blank map of the field, could you show me? Like you said it will be a pain to take it down but I defiantly want all the fun I can get out of it.

I added another zone to the field last month (last map didn't show it) so the trenches can be flanked on 2 sides, I also added landmarks and most traveled paths. Some were in the Blue rectangle is were I plan to set up a netted safe zone.
http://img141.images...ballmap5qz9.jpg

Well, I didn't really do much but just to give you an idea of what I meant by even out the playing field, both main bases, according to the picture, look like they're about even, and have an even amount of access to the hill, and the valley. I didn't use any area outside of your property because I wouldn't recommend using any else's property without written permission. The changes I made are in black, the bunkers are just a rough idea, going off of what's in the picture. Of course you'll probably want to start with something more portable that would allow you to move them around and find the best place for them.

Just as long as you've made all the bases/bunkers easy to enter, and easy to leave, and it's always a good idea to place the main bases in such a way that they are bordering the out of bounds line. This will give you less area to worry about being flanked from your 6.

Attached File(s)

#131 User is offline   Satan Von Chaos 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Satan Von Chaos

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:14 AM

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL POST!!!

I've learned a lot!

:rolleyes:
SATAN VON CHAOS

Oh yes, leave whatever soul you have left in the field man, I'll be collecting it along with your pride.

#132 User is offline   Princejohn1985 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:37 PM

That would work out well, I even have bunkers nearly every were you placed yours and a few were I had planed to build, unfortunately the center base would be to close to the trenches and the terrain for the other base isn't Ideal. I combined both setups and I think I came up with a compromise this plan would be evenly spaced and balanced (I didn't change any bunkers).

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Princejohn1985: 25 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

#133 User is offline   andrew h 

• death is on the wind...
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:*shadow*

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

View PostSheriff Matt, on Jan 17 2007, 11:37 PM, said:

**UPDATE - Free stuff...Where to find it and what to do with it.

I was inspired to create an update to the field building guide on where to find lots of good free stuff. Before I get started though, I want to add a bit of a note about safety and all that goes along with it. When it comes to making a field out of free stuff, you're not looking at making a "Pretty" field. Or a neat and tidy field. You're looking at making a field that looks like it was slapped together with just about anything you could find...which probably isn't far from the truth. So with that in mind I just want to say that a lot of things we all build bunkers out of don't exactly lend themselves to being the most safe materials ever. You'll want to make sure that everything you build is free of protruding nails, screws, glass, sharp edges and stuff like that. You'll also want to make sure that everything that could possibly be tipped over, climbed on, blown over, or caved in is properly secured so no one ends up under your bunkers(without their willingness to be under them...like they fell on them...hence the securing them with ropy things).

Where to look for free stuff
An obvious place to start looking for free stuff is on your own property...things that you own already that can be used as bunkers or materials to build bunkers. Things like:

Tires
Pallets
Barrels
Old trashcans*
Tarps*
Old vehicles
Old carpet
and lots more things like that

*Some of this stuff wont last forever. Old trashcans can become briddle and brake and tarps can also deteriate quite easily when left outside.

Dumpseters
Dumpsters are a great place to look for free stuff. People are always throwing away good stuff. It's like the old saying "One mans trash is another mans treasure", people can always find joy in other peoples trash.

Construction Sites
Construction sites are also a great place to look for free materials to build your bunkers. They often will have a dump pile that they will have to pay someone to haul off to the dump(or do it themselves), and most of the time they will let you have your pick of whatever you want. You're offering to get rid of their trash for them.

Behind Stores - Basically the trash pile from the store in the alley.
Often stores will toss all of their unwanted crap into a pile in the back alley, either in the dumpster or next to it. This is a good place to find pallets and other things like that. Good stores to check out are:

Tile stores
Tire stores
Carpet stores
Wherehouse stores

In the Woods
If you're the lumberjack type, you can find lots of good material for bunkers out in the woods. You'll just have to work for it. Chop down a couple of trees and you'll have bunkers for days.

Pallets
Unless you're willing to take pallets without the permission of the store owner, pallets are not as easy to come by as people say. If you walk into a store and ask them if you can take some of their pallets they have stacked up in the back a common answer is "No, we reuse them" or "They're not ours, they belong to our wherehouse who reuses them" or just plain "No". The best places to get pallets from are the wherehouses themselves, the suppliers, and the mom n pop places that don't have they're corporate supplier feeding them from their wherehouse. When I first started building our field, I went all over town within a 50 mile radius looking to pickup some pallets. I went in store after store getting the same reply. After a while I got discouraged and decided to just go with a different way of doing things. If you can find a good place to pick them up for free (without stealing them, or taking them without asking first), then that's great...but I had a hard time finding a place like that. I'm sure I'll get a lot of responses to this part of the post saying how dumb I am or whatever, but I'm just sharing my experiences..It doesn't mean that's how it is for everyone.

Tires
Tires are a great material to use for making bunkers. You might be able to go down to the local tire shop and get them to give you all of their old, dead tires. I've never tried this but I've heard of others doing it successfully. You can be creative with this one. Just think "What place in my town might have an abundance of old tires, that are no good for selling, that I could walk in and offer to take them off their hands, and have them be happy to unload all of their garbage on me?".

Definition of a Bunker
When you think about it, it's not about "what can I use as a bunker?", it's about "how desperate am I?". Just about anything can be used to make a bunker...If it will stop paintballs...and you can hide behind it...it's a paintball bunker. So really just about anything you can find that meets those two requirements will serve as a paintball bunker.

***FIELD SAFETY***
I just wanted to stress the field safety thing again. It's been said in this topic before but I just wanted to beat a dead horse. While building your field/bunkers make sure you're eliminating all sharp edges, which includes glass, nails, protruding boards and things like that, and also make sure you keep all major paths and walkways clear of debri. You don't want anyone to trip and fall because you let the paths get overrun buy a bunch of crap. Make sure everything that could be tipped over or fall over is secured in a way that would prevent anyone from tipping it over. Also make sure that any structures you build are built with a capacity to withstand rigorous use. You'll want to make sure you make all your bunkers easily accessible and fairly sturdy....actually that's about all I can think of for now..You guys will have to let me know if I forgot anything.

Anyway I'll probably be adding more to this post later on when I'm not so tired.

you should probably ask before you go and dig through someone elses trash cans and dumpsters.
so a bush shot you?...
...fear the sniper

official sniper #23
play here! -> http://www.forestfirepb.com/

#134 User is offline   insyne 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:insyne

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:54 PM

Meh....wish I had land...so badly want a field of my own. so many ideas, so little or no land. Bad part about living in an apartment... Unless I moved to new york with my dad, who has mucho lando....but, meh. Any other ways to get land other than using your back yard or something? (again, which I don't have) lol. Or am I just S.O.L. on the whole situation, and have to crash one of your guy's fields and party down? lol
BTW. cool maps, how'd you make em?

This post has been edited by insyne: 29 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

Practice safe paintball....wear a condom.
<- get your mind outta the gutter.

#135 User is offline   Sheriff Matt 

• GI Matt
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

I just uploaded a video walkthrough of our field. A few of the bunker designs in the guide have been implemented.

linky

Share this topic:

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users