Special Ops Paintball: The Super "Is this a good Sniper marker?" Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Super "Is this a good Sniper marker?" Thread Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

I'm going to add this: the type of gun you have also affects consistency a lot. A heavy kicking blowback like a Tippmann is not going to give you the same consistency as a higher end gun like an AGD Automag or an electropneumatic. The reason is twofold. First, the impact of the hammer hitting the valve will jar your aim slightly, second the tolerances on the lower end gun are not as high. As a result, it will have a greater internal shot-to-shot variation than the higher end gun. You can do everything you can externally to improve it, with barrels and regulators, but if the valve and bolt assembly are not as consistent, they're still going to hinder the gun.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 21 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#32 User is offline   gamer 

• Yes.... it hurts
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHADOWOPS

Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:30 AM

Excellent points. Those are points we rarley consider Warden. Well said.
- I am Jack's complete lack of suprise. -

#33 User is offline   Ganglyfreak 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Ganglyfreak

Post icon  Posted 23 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

Hey all just got one questtion about sniper markers ( as i have been a med-gunnman for so long i'm not sure any more) what is every ones opinion on the kingman spyder as far as a sniper marker goes. I do know that it has a 13bps fire rate and it's not very heavy i'm just not sure about the noise on these markers.

thanks for the input.

In a world ruled by morons information is power.

Ryan

Da Freak

#34 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:24 PM

Its is normally considered to be pretty loud for sniping. Just make sure you have one shot kills

#35 User is offline   Ganglyfreak 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Ganglyfreak

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:28 AM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Aug 23 2006, 02:24 PM, said:

Its is normally considered to be pretty loud for sniping. Just make sure you have one shot kills

it's all good i just found an icon with 19" barrel and 2x4x8 scope with a cyclone feader for under 200 i think thats the one i'n gonna go with for my sniper rifle lots of porting on the barrel and it's eltronic with the standard shooting modes.

if i'm nuts let me know

#36 User is offline   gamer 

• Yes.... it hurts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:40 PM

Hey all just got one questtion about sniper markers ( as i have been a med-gunnman for so long i'm not sure any more) what is every ones opinion on the kingman spyder as far as a sniper marker goes.

I was shooting one the other weekend. They are large, a little heavy and quite loud. They are however not all that bad either, they are just not optimal. For the price, they are not bad.

When I compare the Spyder, I am comparing it to Ions, Autocockers, Automags (like the Tac One) and the Dye Matrix series markers. Those are all excellent choices for a sniper platform. They are light and fast, and very quiet. Theya re excellent tools for the job, and they offer quite a high standard for other markers to live up to.

Remember, the Ions and classic mags are relativley inexpensive, and are often less expensive than the Spyder electros.

Firing only one shot is such a poor idea for so many reasons I would highly disagree. If you did get some "one shot one kills" then thats great, but I would never build a strategy, or a gun choice, from them.

A single shot could quite simply miss. Taking several shots with a super quiet marker allows you to walk your aim, making it much less likley you would miss the target. Paintballs, especially feild paintballs, are not very accurate at the best of times at ranges over 50 feet. If you trust the accuracy of yourself, then do not trust the accuracy of the projectile you are firing. To do so would be most unwise.

Also, when targets move in groups, as they almost always do when on the offense, you need ot send a volley. If you were to spend one shot for each target you would most likey miss at least at least one shot. The most important reason you would not want to spend one shot on each however is the fact that by the time the first guy is shot, the third guy has hit the dirt and entrenched himself. You would then be playing as a rifleman while shooting 50/50 with the opponent, and your snipers advantage would be lost.

Paintball do not break all the time. You might entertain ideas of always hitting people in the goggles from 50 feet, but seriously, you got to take more than one shot for each target. If that single shot does not break, they hit the dirt and you enjoy some 50/50 with no advantage as a sniper built in. You could have just taken three shots and never had that problem.

If you also have a quiet marker you can harrass and slow the advance of the opponents offence WAY better than with a loud marker. Remember, this is a HUGE job of the un-selfish sniper that helps win games for their team. With a great concealed position you are invisible out there, and with a quiet marker you will never get zeroed in by the enemy. You will slow their advance to a snails crawl, and that buys time for your own offense. This way, a sniper can do the work of 3 riflemen on defense, and that means more riflemen for the offense.

If your marker is silent adn your ghillie is good, you can take all the shots you want, and that is a good thing. Paintball reality is alot different than paintball fantasy. Making "one shot one kills" is not a very smart thing to go for in paintball, for many reasons. Better to get a quiet marker with a fast firing action as it will pay off in many ways, except for bragging about "one shot one kills" on the internet (which doesnt matter when you are winning in real life).

This post has been edited by gamer: 25 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

#37 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:50 AM

The trick is, firing one shot gives the opposition almost zero chance of figuring out where you came from. We hear and position things through hearing by triangulating the noise. Have you ever noticed it takes more than one chrip form a bird to figure out where it is? The first one just tells you waht ear it came from pretty much, the second one gives you a relative angle, and the third one usually gives you a pretty good area to where he is. However with a good ghillie, you can shoot of 6-8 rounds without anyone ever finding you. I generally have to go with one shot one kills with my Phantom. every once inawhile I will take a longshot, but usually I take 10 ft. shots.

#38 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:58 AM

And headshot phantom has discovered why more shots FAST is better than less shots slow.

I believe that the paintball sniper should have a very FAST and quiet marker and shoot in bursts of 3-5 shots

-Tenacious

#39 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:21 AM

I know, but is what I'm saying is that you want to shoot as few shots as you have to. I like Rory's idea of putting a board in the Ion that will shoot 20 BPS in a 3-round burst.

#40 User is offline   gamer 

• Yes.... it hurts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:53 PM

Rory was using his E gripped A5 with a Stiffi that game, not an Ion. Stop making stuff up.

We were also on the offensive that game, as a stealthy flank. We went undetected, but none of us were dedicated snipers. Rory was clearly in tune with his inner-sniper that day tho.

I generally have to go with one shot one kills with my Phantom. every once inawhile I will take a longshot, but usually I take 10 ft. shots.

Stop it man. Just stop. 10 feet? Come on. Quit it. Ten feet is about 2 full arm spans. You actually manage to have people walk within 10 feet of you in an average game of paintball? You say this is the "usual" way you eliminate people after all. Sure, people can pass that close... but not "usually".

Anyways... the way I see it is like this. If you could get a sight rail on those tourney markers they would be the ultimate sniper tool. The Spec Ops E-Tac (E Mag with a Tac One body) is the worlds greatest sniper platform in my opinion. I can honestly not think of any other marker in the world more equipped for sniping. Id be interested if anyone else had any other thoughts on an ultimate king of sniperdom?

This post has been edited by gamer: 27 August 2006 - 11:54 PM

#41 User is offline   Churp 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Churp

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:50 AM

View Postgamer, on Aug 27 2006, 11:53 PM, said:

Stop it man. Just stop. 10 feet? Come on. Quit it. Ten feet is about 2 full arm spans. You actually manage to have people walk within 10 feet of you in an average game of paintball? You say this is the "usual" way you eliminate people after all. Sure, people can pass that close... but not "usually".

10ft-20ft for me, typically, 30ft max.

#42 User is offline   gamer 

• Yes.... it hurts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:36 AM

Sure man. Your "typical" kill? Get alot of those?

After my 15 years of paintball I have taken out a person in a 10 foot range once while waiting in a concealed position. This does not count shooting bunkered opponents, or randomly bumping into people. Everyone else gets taken out between ranges of about 30 to 70 feet.

Just two days ago I was driving in a car with a guy that claimed he walked on to a game, got his rental gear, found a bush and took out 20 players who insisted on walking right up beside him. He said this bush was perfect, and those 20 people could not find him all day. That means, all day no one said "look out for that bush". Thats likley. He was a super sniper... supposedly.

The "I took out a bunch of people from my impenatrable/invisible position" is the hugest fish story in paintball. Reality tells a different tale.

Letting a person come within 10 feet of you:
- is rediculously unlikley to happen
- gives them 190 feet of travel to potentially detect you (their range minus your range)
- gives your position away, and now that "dead player" can and probably will report your location
- means you could let them pass and barrel tag them after taking about 6 steps. How often does that happen? All the time too I bet.
- is simply cruel. What kind of a jerk wants to hurt anyone out there on purpose?
- means you are not doing anything other than covering a radius of up to 60 feet at a time. That makes you quite useless to your team. 60 feet is nothing compared to the size of a paintball field. A paintball rifleman can cover almost 4 times this ground, and moves around.

The list goes on.

Besides, what about harrasment? What about slowing the advance of your opponents? What about playing a solid defense in a grid larger than 60 feet? While sniping I can bunker people for Dagger style players to weed out. That is at ranges of 150 feet. Does that make me a hero? No, but it gives me an assist. There are lots of jobs for the sniper... not just sitting in the magical peice of cover that week after week helps you "owns noobs" from a deadly range of 20 feet.

If you actually have a quiet and high rate of fire marker you could make those mid-range shots and be effective at those ranges while still remaining concealed, and that my friends is the whole point of choosing the right sniper marker. A paintball sniper has alot more to do then brag about making one shot kills. They have got to contribute towards their team winning... and having fun. Reality is more fun than fantasy if you make it that way.

This post has been edited by gamer: 28 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

#43 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:52 AM

View Postgamer, on Aug 28 2006, 01:53 AM, said:

The Spec Ops E-Tac (E Mag with a Tac One body) is the worlds greatest sniper platform in my opinion.

AGD E-Tac...

And spool valved markers are still quieter...and are much faster rates of fire. The boards also have more modes with which to choose from.

-Tenacious

#44 User is offline   gamer 

• Yes.... it hurts
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:47 AM

True. Is there a particular marker you have in mind? I wouldnt mind trying it out if you have a suggestion.

#45 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:26 AM

On that note lately I have been REALLY into 3 round burst for sniping lately. I am actually buidling up my blackcell ion as we speak. I am going to run 3 round burst but have it rip at 18-20 BPS (not possible on the stock board...I know I know... but then again we ARE special ops are'nt we? :dodgy: ) so that the 3 balls stay nice and tight when I take the shot. With this setup I am able to get the best of both worlds (and minor bonus):

If you would have taken more time to just read what I said, you would have seen that I said I liked Rory's IDEA. Check back on page two for this info, buddy. Get your facts before you start calling me a liar. That's all you do the whole time is accuse accuse accuse. Just get over it. I had 5 1shot 1kills in one game from 10-20 foot shots. Honestly, just because you can't do it, doesn't mean the rest of the world can't. You think you're making us look bad, but in fact you're showing everyone else how skilled at concealment you are... I don't just throw some scrim net over my head and go play sniper. I have a full-ghillie, ghillie mask, and a gun-wrap.

Also, I'd rather have a DM6.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 29 August 2006 - 04:29 AM

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users