Special Ops Paintball: SPPL Rule question for everyday refs - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SPPL Rule question for everyday refs ALL REFS Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Post icon  Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:05 PM

In the SPPL rules it says if you call for a paint check for a player on the OTHER TEAM, and he's alive and clean, the person calling for the check will be pentalized(SP)........

My question is;

do you pentalize the player asking for the check if the person being checked turns out to be clean??????

ANYBODY!?

God Bless,
Doc
The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#2 User is offline   X Jackson X 

• Dye Hard Speedballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:20 PM

Question off that question. How are they penlized?
IPB Image

#3 User is offline   BlueJoe 

• Paintball Is A Religion, Many Attend, Few Understand
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueJoe

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

ummm.. inspeedball definatly!

Rec ball, no, woodsball, no.

Because if a Ref PaintChecks a player you called a paintcheck on, during the duration that he was checking, the player could have eliminated a few players.

You should not be kicked off the field for that game, but you should lose some points.

If it was like Rec ball, no problems :S

woodsball obviously not for obvious reasons.

-Joe

#4 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

I don't understand what you are trying to ask here. If it is a tournament, then the rule that you mentioned says that you do penalize the other team. What the penalty is should be determined before hand.

If you are asking if I would penalize a player during a rec game, then no, there is nothing wrong with asking me to check if the player thinks that he shot out an opponent. No penalty of any kind if the player is clean, that is part of the job. Although it can be a real nuisance if the same player keeps calling paintchecks on the other team, simply because he can't shoot them out or he is trying to get my attention away from him while he cheats or something.

I had a player get on my case on Saturday because he shot another player in the marker and hopper. This same player had been trying to call other players out all day long, again for gun hits. I did not start the day, so another ref gave them the briefing and he told me, before he left, that they all knew that that they were not playing with gun hits count rule. Everytime he yelled for the other players to go out, I yelled that gun hits did not count, this was walk-on rules. I even let players know that they could see me after any game to let me know that they wanted to play tourney rules, gun hits do count and the surrender-or-die rule went out the window, and we would start up specific tourney games. Apparently everyone heard me, and I do have a loud voice, but this guy. My point to this is: Just because players are playing on an airball/speedball field does not mean that there are premade rules that must be followed on that type of field. If someone wanted to play Civil War on a speedball field, as long as everyone is safe, and they all agree that they want that type of game, they should be able to do what is fun for them.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#5 User is offline   Pneumaniac227 

• Certified Pump Paintball Crash Dummy
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:08 PM

I believe that in the SPPL a player can call a paintcheck on any player, friend or foe. A paintcheck on a friend that comes back either clean or hit is not penalized in any way, except if they are hit then they are out. However, if you call a paintcheck on a player on the other team, and they come up clean, then you lose a few points. If they are hit, then they are eliminated and play resumes.

I think those are the rules, that is what I remembered reading, but I would recommend you make sure.

I personally think the rule is a bad one, but since paintchecks in the SPPL stop action (I think), then it could be a way to stop people from calling paintchecks every time they took a shot at someone.
Digi Camo Program Web Dog Radio The Whiteboard
"Hype, cease and desist orders, and lawsuits are ruining our sport" club member #4
My Feedback (+8/-0) My Stuff For Sale!!! My Website
"The Ironmen though, are like the Yankees. I dont really care for them, but I would still place a bet on them." -ghostinthewood

#6 Guest_Jester3_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:24 AM

I'm not really a fan of the rule, mostly because my team lost some points because of it and because doing paint checks is part of the ref's job.

I believe they should expel this rule before next year's season.

This post has been edited by Jester3: 05 July 2006 - 12:25 AM

#7 User is offline   slith 

• CO Team Bloody Horns
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:slith

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:31 AM

reason for the pently is the game is stoped in that area so the paintchack can be preformed

#8 User is offline   Pneumaniac227 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:53 AM

I personally believe that when a paintcheck is called that the ref should just sprint over to the person the paincheck was called on, and play continues. However, with limitied numbers of refs, that may not be possible.
"Hype, cease and desist orders, and lawsuits are ruining our sport" club member #4
"The Ironmen though, are like the Yankees. I dont really care for them, but I would still place a bet on them." -ghostinthewood

#9 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:26 AM

Maybe it's me, and I have a view that as a ref, when I check a person, we should be as noninvasive as possible, but it should not stop all play in an area simply because a ref is checking a player. I have performed numerous checks where action was still going on, the player was still playing, and I got shot a couple of times because I was in the area checking the player. Simply the way it goes in reffing a tourney. At least my opinion.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#10 User is offline   Da Ref 

• too much work no time to play
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:sniper257

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

The rule is in place for a good reason it helps prevent one team or the other from hunting for were the other players are. Back in the day this was done to insure that one team knew were some of the other team were and act on it. Also this is a game were players are expected to call them selves out. If you have dumped a hopper on one guy odds are that if they did not go out none reached or broke on them. Now if a player calls for a check on the other team and that person is checked and found to have a hit they are sent to the dead box and a pently is given for playing on. On the field the refs first job is to insure safety In the SPPL we try to have ten refs on the field also if possable gilly refs. Rec play is a different game and the rules are different on different fields.
Its simple I saw the hit,
Your out!!

I need a job with more vacation time

#11 User is offline   Ruckus Fox 

• Cutie! ^-^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ruckus Fox

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:03 PM

I personally think of paintchecks just as a curiosity thing. I've only called paintchecks if I'm sure that it hit, but not entirely sure if it broke. In which case, I'll yell very politely. "Check your (Area), Please!" <I'm clean!> "Thank you! *lights up*" <HIT!>

Point is, if you're talking about your own rules, and especially if it's just for fun, I wouldn't do it. If you're talking about tournament rules (And since the SPPL does it anyway) then I believe that they penalize you say...a couple of points?...I don't quite remember.

--Ruckus

#12 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Post icon  Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for everyone's input, please continue!!!!!!

God Bless,
Doc
The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#13 User is offline   Pneumaniac227 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:44 PM

I agree that there should not be a penalty for paintchecking amoung friends, but all of my friends are honest. Just remember, this is a game of honesty, people are supposed to call themselves out. The people on the other team shouldn't have to.

#14 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

Hey Doc, you still have not told us if this is in reference to rec play, informal tourney play, or actual tourney play itself. I am guessing one of the first two, but...

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#15 User is offline   Pneumaniac227 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:25 PM

View PostDr. Wiggy, on Jul 4 2006, 02:05 PM, said:

In the SPPL rules it says if you call for a paint check for a player on the OTHER TEAM, and he's alive and clean, the person calling for the check will be pentalized(SP)........

My question is;

do you pentalize the player asking for the check if the person being checked turns out to be clean??????

ANYBODY!?

God Bless,
Doc

Maybe the SPPL?

That's what I based my posts on, so if I'm going in the wrong direction, then please reorientate my thoughts.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users