Special Ops Paintball: Moving into a sniping position - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moving into a sniping position How to do it, where to do it, and when to do it. Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Moving into a sniping position (591 member(s) have cast votes)

When during a game would you move into your sniping position?

1. As soon as the game starts (161 votes [27.24%])

Percentage of vote: 27.24%

2. After your team has moved in (70 votes [11.84%])

Percentage of vote: 11.84%

3. When your the last player on your team (8 votes [1.35%])

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

4. As quickly as possible, before the other team was in hearing distance. (352 votes [59.56%])

Percentage of vote: 59.56%

In what position would you snipe in?

1. Standing (4 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

2. Crouching (123 votes [20.81%])

Percentage of vote: 20.81%

3. Proning (442 votes [74.79%])

Percentage of vote: 74.79%

4. Sitting (22 votes [3.72%])

Percentage of vote: 3.72%

When would you take your shot?

1. When the enemy becomes visible (16 votes [2.71%])

Percentage of vote: 2.71%

2. When the enemy is right infront of you (63 votes [10.66%])

Percentage of vote: 10.66%

3. When the enemy has his back to you (413 votes [69.88%])

Percentage of vote: 69.88%

4. Wait longer, there are more players out there (99 votes [16.75%])

Percentage of vote: 16.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 User is offline   jiu-jitsu fighter 

• Would you rather me barrel tag you or choke you unconscious
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Jiu-Jitsu Fighter

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

When I go to shoot. I will wait until the guy comes into my effective killing range. Not just when he becomes visible. I also make sure no one is with him. Using a stock class phantom you dont want to shoot at one guy miss and both of them unload on your position.

I have three tricks I constantly use with a buddy (worked great with my brother and his dm4). I would have my brother go ahead of me and off to the left or right depending on where we were playing. Now this worked good for these reasons.

1. I would take the first shot. Never with more than two people. then when they are contrating on me I would drop back into cover more so they cant get me then have my brother open up on them. With his rate of fire they forget about me and contrate on getting him out because to them he "is more of a threat". Then I ease up or change positions to get ready for the kill if he hasnt hit them yet.

2. He opens up on them which pushes them around the tree. With my phantom and my dye barrel it is extremely quiet. So I am able to take my shots without them hearing because they are shooting at him. With them trying ot get behind the tree that puts me looking straight at their side.

3. Another thing I like to do Is put him in the same spot and me get on the opposite side of him. Then let him shoot push them around and I have their backs.

This post has been edited by jiu-jitsu fighter: 01 December 2007 - 09:22 AM

Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.

My feedback

#47 User is offline   Assasin2213 

• Computer Tech & Love Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASSASIN2213

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

Nice job with the DM4, that would only work if they were both concentrated on him though. Cause when im with my team or squad, if we get shot from multiple angles, we set up so that we can protect each others back, not just concentrating on one person. Just one thing that might not work with your plan. But a very good idea... gotta try that with my buddie sometime.
04 RX8 is my baby

#48 User is offline   bbxbox95 

• Got Skills?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:bbxbox95

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

get there as quickly as possible to catch the scouts and then the opforce. I crouch because it makes it easier to change position. Always wait till they are infront of you, then they have nowhere to go. and most people assume they are being fired upon from the front

Automaggot #141-Tippmann Owner #57-Cod4 player-xKERMITtheFROGx
I don't buy drugs, how else would I afford paintball- If you are above the influence, put this in your sig

#49 User is offline   amer1candork 

• shorty
  • PipPip

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

View PostThatCanadianSniper, on Jul 14 2006, 03:37 AM, said:

1) Move to position asap. I call it pulling a Neopoleon. he got to battles alot faster than his enemys thought, and it gave him the element of surprise.

2) Lower you are, harder to spot, and better control of your weapon.

3)Depends. I would wait for more people if the group wasnt worth giving away my position. I would wait for a larger group before fireing

neopoleon also lost. yes some people say its smarter to move first faster, quicker than the other team. but who's to say that the other team does not have a sniper. and other people say let the team go in first so you can be less of a distraction. but i mean i guess the best way is to move slow and steady if you know the field get to the spot being quiet cause chances are if your moving quick not only are you going to make a lot of noise chances are you are going to get spotted. so like too many people say "it depends on your situation". if you play like i do have 1 team go into the woods and 1 team go in after them. its seriously stupid. i suggest not playing unless your the team is the one setting up the death of the other team. but it does help if you understand the concept of getting ambushed and having to deal with that.

This post has been edited by amer1candork: 24 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

O captain, My captain [topic="http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index.php?showtopic=143444"]amer1candork's feedback[/topic]

#50 User is offline   nube 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:nube

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

View PostGlitch, on Jun 21 2006, 01:38 PM, said:

While I agree with most of this, a sniper should never really rely on a "cookie-cutter" strategy. For a paintball sniper to aid his team in the fullest he must be one of, if not the most, adaptable player on the field. It all depends on the individual situation and what your commander has instructed you to do.

For example, it's sometimes not always best to actually elliminate the opfor. If your forward team is close to the opposing team's deadbox you'll just be reinforcing the opfor's flanks. Haulting or slowing a squad's forward progress is sometimes a better judgement call then just out-right eliminating them.

Then there's luring, pushing, recon, single target objectives (opfor's commander), reinforcing defense, displacing ambushes, etc...

Laying under a bush for 45 minutes is just a very small part of being a truly usefull paintball sniper. Using your brain more than your trigger finger is what will make you a good sniper.

That's my 2 gil.

I totaly agree with your first statment. In order for a sniper to be succesfull he or she must be able to communicate with the commander. The sniper can relay the positions of enemy troops to the commander so that a stratagey can be formed and executed. The commander can then tell the sniper where to go and who to take, or where to set up ambushes.
Nathan Pritchard
Civil Air Patrol 2nd Lt.
Cadet Deputy Commander
Paintball Sniper
CAP team captain

#51 User is offline   Mystic 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:07 AM

Q: When during a game would you move into your sniping position?

A: None of the above. I move into a sniping position when it is tactically advantageous to do so. Typically it is after the team moves in and that gives me a sense of where the lines are. I try to set myself up to perform the pass maneuver. Once the other team as gone past me, I am behind their lines. Then I head for my primary target (if that is my mission).

Q: In what position would you snipe in?

A: All of the above. It depends on the environment, type of encounter, etc. etc. I don't think I can cookie cutter a specific position. Usually it is prone, crouching or sitting. Standing is less common.

Q: When would you take your shot?

A: Depends on my mission. If my mission is to take out the other teams general, then I wait until I am in position and the general is in position that gives me the best chance of success. If my mission is to scout and relay movements, then I won't take any shot. If my mission is to be a mosquito, then I will wait for the other team to go past me, and then at max range, take one out from behind with a single shot. It makes the others shoot wildly into the brush. When they give up and continue on their way, I take another one out. Then I wait a few minutes for another squad to come by and do it again.
MYSTIC

#52 User is offline   lethalpanther 

• OOO a lizard!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:lethalpanther1

Posted 03 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

1.A-this gives you the most time to search a good spot and eliminate early sprinters

2.C-prone is the best position in most cases, unless you can crouch and rest your gun on a fallen log or something

3.C or A-depending on if you have another sniper with you. Many two-man groups will have one sniper in front and in back. The person in back snipes an enemy in the goggles, while the one shoots another in the back
It's only a game, you don't need to be afaid of anyone, except for ONE person. Its not the teenager with a marker worth more than your car. Its not the SPPL player with about 35 BPS firing rate. Its the 40 year old guy lying in a corner, taking a nap before the game begins. His camo will probably be old, and he will most likely be toting a pump. He's been playing since before you were born, and if he mentions how much he didn't like when he had to play with oil based paintballs, make SURE he is on your team. This guy is a ghost.-Match99
Your grace...Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah Mormont

#53 User is offline   scilencer 

• The Silencer
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:THE WALK-ON

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

1. D
just as it states

2. C
less stuff for others to see, and more steady shots ( but mainly it depends on the terain)

3. D
you don't want to shoot every person that comes across your crosshairs.
;)
The best way to conserve ammo........is to hit what you're shooting at! 2GF

#54 User is offline   M.O.P. 

• Group: Penquin Mafia ....... no you can't join.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

i am not voting because there is no true answer because it all depends on feild game type and your team so there is really no answer because it is almost impossible to snipe at splatterpark
................ Flippy the Wonder Bunny, Ace and MaDuce like ducks with a passion. My color is white. Morrowind addict.

#55 User is offline   Sasquatch X7 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:46 PM

View Postghostinthewood, on Jun 21 2006, 09:40 AM, said:

1) B.

The OpFor will be occupied with my teams chaos, perfect time to set up. Makes life a heckova lot easier when they forget about you.

2) C.

Lowest point. Harder to see you and more stable shooting platform.

3) C.

A lot of time when I play there arnt. If there are certain people I'm looking for or if its just a scout squad I will wait and radio to my team their location.

Roll, sit up, and run. Dudnt take that long to get up and move when prone.

I move things out of the way when I crawl, so there isnt a whole lot rustling and what not, especially when you have shadows wanting to drag race you.

no the last one is D. its a snipers rule havent you ever read a rifleman went to war?.... you always wait just that lil bit longer sometimes something REALLY good comes up.

i was watching this clearing this one game and a guy came into the clearing he went a few paces looked around then got into his position. i had a perfect bead on him but i waited... a lil later he made a signal for what i will assume to be 3 men who were a part of his firing squad 2 come out into the clearing moving slowly.... the youngest out of them must of thought he saw a bunch of guys or maybe a huge lack of guys on this side of the field. so he told his 2 comrades and they ran away i could have shot them then, but i decided to wait... about a minute went by and i still kept my bead on that sniper. then what i woul guess was most of the team showed up crawling thro the clearing towards me one of them, the guy in front was the commander.... SCORE!!!!!.. i took out the commander and then the sniper then hauled tail back to my base to tell my commander that most of the team was over there. it was awesome, and thats how i made 2nd in command of my team...

to all you snipers out there always ALWAYS wait, maybe not aslong as i did but wen you wait you always gain some kinda experience.... or even just the thrill of stalking ur pray b4 you decide to strike HAR DE HAR HAR!

#56 User is offline   Dunceb4ll 

• Let's go play with Dynamite!!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dunceball

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

I had to laugh when I came to proning. I use the "sniping" technique when I am the only person on my team, or I know I simply don't have enough paint to fight head on. My head on being jumping out from behind them then run and gun till they all are eliminated or they ran away like little girls. Or I get hit.
THE END IS COMING!!!! AND IT WILL BE UNTIL IT GETS HERE!!!!!!
CAUTION IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY IT IS ADVISABLE TO KEEP DUNCEB4LL AWAY FROM FIRE AND FLAMES.
Feedback

#57 User is offline   The Elder 

• Sharpshooter
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Phantom-Sniper

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

Paintball is a little different than real life.

1.When the game starts you should get into position as quick as you can. If you delay the other team will have more chance of seeing you move.

2.Crouching is always safer than proning. But depending your position proning can be more beneficial.

3.You should take the enemies back. If you wait longer your opponents may get eliminated or take out your players. Paintball games are short so don't wait longer than you need to.

#58 User is offline   MIR Sniper 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

View PostThe Elder, on Jan 21 2009, 05:26 PM, said:

3.You should take the enemies back. If you wait longer your opponents may get eliminated or take out your players. Paintball games are short so don't wait longer than you need to.

I would like to say that if your a newbie your better off holding the shot too long than jumping the gun and being blasted 30 times from 5 ft. away. That would make one hate the sport, and it's pretty hard to hold the shot for too long, just shoot when you have the opponents back and you think/know you can get them all.

#59 User is offline   Mercy of Spades 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mercy

Post icon  Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

Good questions.

When to move into position? Taking from Sun Tzu's "Art of War" you gain as much ground as possible at the start of the battle but if they take the middle ground before you then take up a defensive position. (works in chess too lol)

What kind of shooting position? Well, one that they wouldn't expect. The most recognizable part of the human body is the head and shoulders. I prefer prone with a ghillie to mask your shape, but do as the situation demands. Have you ever seen some of the stances that military (actual) snipers take? Stuff is crazy but it works lol

When to shoot? When the time is right, of course! lol. It's a situational thing, really. Every encounter is a little different and you're goals change constantly. Are you on recon? Are you trying to slow down the opforce? Is it a big scenario game? Is there a specific target that you're attempting to eliminate? Does it matter if you get eliminated? Are you retreating? Are you advancing? Are you alone? Stuff like that. Honestly, think out every possible outcome of an encounter before you ever see a person coming. Leave nothing to chance cause that's when things start going down the drain. Personally, I say wait till they pass and try to get in their heads. Nothing freaks people out more than thinking their own teammates are shooting them in the back lol it's hilarious.

Fun stuff :(
Jeremiah 29:11 "His promises fulfilled"

#60 User is offline   ghilliewarrior 

• Team Sniper/Commander
  • Pip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

Well, you've gotta take everything into consideration. I personally try and get out into a position as fast as possible. It is harder to get into a position after the game has been on for a while because the enemy just might be close to the position you want. When looking for a position to go to you must be aware of your surroundings. Is this cover large enough? Are there good angles? Is there a highly-traveled path nearby? All these are questions you must ask before choosing a position. Also take into consideration the importance of the area you want to go to. If there is an important building or path that the enemy uses, then that would be a good place to set up. Just remember in a highly traveled place there will be more enemy so keep on the lookout. A good position will have large enough cover for you, will blend well, have many angles to shoot from, and easy to escape. That is why trees and huts are bad places to hide because they are relatively hard to get out of compared to behind a pile of logs with brush. Sometime even out in the middle of a tall grass field is good because it is a place the enemy would never think to look. I mean put yourself in their shoes, where would you look first for an enemy? Behind a tree or log? Or out in the open? Right, behind cover. A position where the enemy wouldnt think to look can be very useful. Always plan an escape route when you are choosing a position too. Most likely after being in this position for a while the enemy will get an idea of where you are at and your cover will be blown. Once this happens you must have a way to get out of the situation without being eliminated (hopefully). Well everyone, I hope this helped! :laugh:

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users