Special Ops Paintball: Moving into a sniping position - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moving into a sniping position How to do it, where to do it, and when to do it. Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Moving into a sniping position (591 member(s) have cast votes)

When during a game would you move into your sniping position?

1. As soon as the game starts (161 votes [27.24%])

Percentage of vote: 27.24%

2. After your team has moved in (70 votes [11.84%])

Percentage of vote: 11.84%

3. When your the last player on your team (8 votes [1.35%])

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

4. As quickly as possible, before the other team was in hearing distance. (352 votes [59.56%])

Percentage of vote: 59.56%

In what position would you snipe in?

1. Standing (4 votes [0.68%])

Percentage of vote: 0.68%

2. Crouching (123 votes [20.81%])

Percentage of vote: 20.81%

3. Proning (442 votes [74.79%])

Percentage of vote: 74.79%

4. Sitting (22 votes [3.72%])

Percentage of vote: 3.72%

When would you take your shot?

1. When the enemy becomes visible (16 votes [2.71%])

Percentage of vote: 2.71%

2. When the enemy is right infront of you (63 votes [10.66%])

Percentage of vote: 10.66%

3. When the enemy has his back to you (413 votes [69.88%])

Percentage of vote: 69.88%

4. Wait longer, there are more players out there (99 votes [16.75%])

Percentage of vote: 16.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   ASAP 

• a.k.a. "Smiley"
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ASAP

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

*Drops 2 cents into slot*

When during a game, when would you move into your sniping position?

That depends. On one field, the other team is in clear sight, same goes for my team. I wait until the wistle blows and the players on the other team are heading to their bunkers. Because I know some of those players are keeping an eye on me, to see which side of the field I take. But if they want get behind some decent cover, they won't stand there longer than five seconds. By the time they reach their bunkers, their minds will be occupied by my teammates' offense. That, is when I move. On the other field, the only wooded area is the flag station area. Since most of the team wants to be on the offense, I'm usually stuck guarding the flag by default. The other team is out of seeing/hearing distance and I have plenty of time to get into position by the time the other team gets to my side of the field. Until that happens, I take my time looking for a good spot.

In what position would you snipe in?

Always prone. Less mass to be seen and hit. On rare occasions I'll be crouching, but that's only when I'm in thick brush that'll conseal me even when I'm wearing fusions.

When would you take your shot?

Due to the design of the field, being able to get the other players after they walk past you is very rare. If there is a chance it can present itself, I'll wait until they do. But for the most part, I'll have to shoot the player(s) when they get within a few yards.

#32 User is offline   Saifoda 

• Saifoda
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:51 AM

I am the Commander of my Team, but when not commanding (as in, when I'm playing without my team, just a walkon day or something like that) then I suite up with the old ghillie again. Sniping is the best. :D

Anyways, I didn't come here to tell you that.

I usually head to a flank position where I know I am needed the most. For example, if we're doing a "strongside" right of sorts, where most of our players take the right flank to head, the opfor might think to come left. So I'll head out left inititially to get in a good spot to put the opfor in a position where they can't move or effectively return fire against me. This is VERY dependant on the terrain and situation of the field, but that is my standard approach.

Also, I prefer sitting. I agree with you that crouching is the best position to get up from easily, but as a sniper I'm not looking to move in any particular hurry, although sitting is the next closest thing to crouching that will give you that advantage. Sitting is the most natural position (next to being prone -- by the way, what the heck is "proning" lol jk) for the human body to take. Therefore, this allows me to be more relaxed, and take smoother shots (accuracy counts). Sitting will also give you the most muzzle control, even over being prone. When prone you are required to keep your head up and steady, largely due to the mask around your face. This adds to muscle fatigue and induces shaking after a short period of time, heavily decreasing accuracy as well as concentration -- train of thought is absolutely critical to maintain as a sniper.

So, I'm sitting, I've gone to a flank position, I control the field I am in. Absolutely positively have to maintain the initiative, especially when outnumbered. Everything depends upon that. Taking the shot is the most critical thing while sniping. You need to be 100% invisible for as long as possible -- well after your first shot. So, I take whatever shot is necessary, but in almost every case I will take the shot from the back, and frequently wait for more than one group to pass. It just totally depends on the situation, and that's why snipers need to be smart -- they are "human hunters," and the good ones ARE smarter than their opponents -- that's just the way it is.
"Hey Sailor, do you have change for a dollar?" "Sure, buddy!" "That's no way to address an officer! Now let's try that again. Sailor, do you have change for a dollar?" "No, Sir!"

Leaders Lead from the front

#33 User is offline   M.I.C. 

• #1sniper
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:M.I.C.

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:06 AM

also i like to be not so much a ghost flanker but i do flank but not to the point to where its considerd a "front line posistion" and shoot angles at the enemy...if anything sometimes im the distraction and im ok with that while the other team is having the hardest time finding me, they are getting capped in the facemask by my teamates :D i love sniping well theres my 2 cents

- :ghillie: thesilentkilla
IPB Image
IPB Image
Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio
NO SUCH THING AS A PAINTBALL SNIPER? WHOVEVER TOLD YOU THAT HASN'T ENTERED MY SIGHTS YET...

#34 User is offline   Delta 9 

• Follow me.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Delta 9

Posted 02 March 2007 - 04:53 AM

It all really depends on the field. If it's a field with a lot of bunkers with a solid scrimmage line, I'm out in no man's land crawling, no more cover than ground cover, because that's the last place they expect me. If it's there I tuck close to a shrub or stand of grass, but keeping away from bunkers lets me keep the initiative. I can get up close to them and nail them, many times without them noticing. When a player on the other team ran up to fill the empty bunker, I'd wait 30 seconds or so for him to get comfortable there, then send him to the dead box. Played right, you can get a good few kills before they get wise, but I strongly suggest relocating, even a little after a couple kills. And if anyone wants to contest these being genuine "sniper" kills, they were all killed with no more than 2 shots a person, most only 1. (not trying to start flame, just getting it outta the way)

I agree a lot with ASAP. If the other team can see you, and you have snipers, they're gonna be watching close to see where they go. In that instance, I hold back and wait til they're pre-occupied before I move up. Usually this leads to the strategy mentioned earlier. Sniper Fieldcraft 101, only move quickly when you are certain you're not being watched. If there's enough brush between the 2 teams, I beat feet for my hide and dig in. Also in Sniper Fieldcraft, always assume you're under observation. Since I like making long range shots, and have had the range time to aquire the accuracy, I try to put natural barriers between me and the OPFOR. A stream, hill, ravine and the like make it harder for them to engage you. I almost always shoot from the prone position, but there are some places where this simply won't work. I never take a long range shot unless I'm at least crouched, but it's better to be prone.

While on the subject of tactics, I'd suggest research I came across on real-world sniper tactics applied to paintball. I've been studying sniper history, and the sniping practices used during the civil war has a lot of similarities to paintball sniping. The musket of the day was inconsistent, and very inaccurate. Muskets with a few exceptions, had the same range, same accuracy level in that range(depending on gun and man holding it). Now I know that musket balls are solid lead, and paintballs are gelatin filled with liquid. I know they are not the same, but they are similar. Good paintball snipers fire more paint on the range, than they use in the course of a game, (at least I do). I don't know about you other long-gunners, but I know the inconsistencies of my paint, and anticipate which way it may deviate on it's trajectory. Civil war snipers did the same thing. Very seldom did the first shot result in a hit, let alone a kill, just like near misses and bounces in paintball. Musket balls like paintballs, retain very little energy at long range, and would inflict a minor wound, possibly not even taking the soldier hit out of action. Just like a bounce in paintball. They learned to anticipate the inconsistencies of their weapons, just like we do. They didn't have guillie, but not every paintball sniper has guillie, the civil war union sniper had a green uniform as opposed to the blue of his comrades (kinda like 1 guy in camo, and 5 other guys in speedball jerseys.) I guess where I'm going with this is, snipers exist in paintball, and we do borrow tactics and methods from the real world sniper, and share a common goal: To eliminate enemy personnel, disrupt enemy operations, provide recon and intel, and do it with as few shots as possible, hopefully without getting found. Sorry, but it's bothered me seeing arguments of whether or not the paintball sniper exists. There's always gonna be guys on the other side of the fence, without them, we wouldn't have a opposing team. Whatever side of the debate you're on, there's good points both ways. I'd rather not argue the point ever again, throw on my camo and do my job. Then again, I'm Buddhist :laugh: .

Happy hunting snipers, stealthy is healthy.
"Delta 9 to Squad, lock n' load. Let's move out!"

#35 User is offline   Darkwind 

• "Onward to Victory"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Darkwind

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

I'm not a sniper, or even the designated marksman in my group, but when I need a precision shot made, I use rice-patty prone as my shooting position because it gives me a solid base and keeps the marker steady. Also, I can pop up from that quickly and without making much noise for a quick, silent getaway or for a few well-placed shots from well trained snapshooting.

#36 User is offline   muddog 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Zack

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:44 AM

As quickly as possible, before the other team was in hearing distance.

Proning

Wait longer, there are more players out there
IPB Image
IPB Image

#37 User is offline   Slivers 

• The charred ghost of Slivers
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Slivers

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:09 AM

None of the above. :/

#1:
As a ghost flanker, I move into position as my squad moves. I like to keep in sight of them, but I'm not usually trying to get into a position to wait there.

#2:
Prone, if at all possible. More stable shot, better concealment, harder for return fire to hit your profile. Plus my ghillie is geared for a prone position. I'll go crouched if I know I'll be moving immediately after the shot though.

#3:
Switch it up. If they're engaged in fire with my squad, I don't care where they're looking. If I haven't dealt with the specific player recently, I'll almost certainly go for a back shot though. Just don't train people to know you're on their six when they get sniped.

None of the above. :/

#1:
As a ghost flanker, I move into position as my squad moves. I like to keep in sight of them, but I'm not usually trying to get into a position to wait there.

#2:
Prone, if at all possible. More stable shot, better concealment, harder for return fire to hit your profile. Plus my ghillie is geared for a prone position. I'll go crouched if I know I'll be moving immediately after the shot though.

#3:
Switch it up. If they're engaged in fire with my squad, I don't care where they're looking. If I haven't dealt with the specific player recently, I'll almost certainly go for a back shot though. Just don't train people to know you're on their six when they get sniped.
Posted Image
Flying straight above the steady stream of stars.

#38 User is offline   Assasin2213 

• Computer Tech & Love Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASSASIN2213

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

View PostSlivers, on Apr 6 2007, 02:09 AM, said:

I'll go crouched if I know I'll be moving immediately after the shot though.

Crouched is the position that i always go into. Cause i shoot 5-6 shots than i make like hell out of there. I always go to my position right at the beginning, than they can't hear me get there. I always shoot them when they are starting to walk away from me, people never expect to get shot from teh back. Just a personal preference.

This post has been edited by Assasin2213: 23 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

04 RX8 is my baby

#39 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

Whenever possible, only take shots when you KNOW that they will land on target.

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

#40 User is offline   NEKK 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Not affiliated with any Brigade

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

Movement is a basic tactic. Keep your eyes and ears open, move around brush and other obstacles, moving the foliage attracts attention. Scan ahead, stop observe and listen often, move from one good point of cover to another, keep obstacles between you and the suspected enemy. Don't highlight yourself cresting a ridge, know the difference between cover and concealment. Cover protects you from fire, concealment protects you from detection. Firing from concealment only is a bad idea. Try to put something solid between you and your target that both protects you from fire and detection. It's horrible shooting discipline, but I'd suggest that if you want to minimize return fire and detection, peek around cover, fire only when they're not looking, don't follow through with your shot/burst. Dip back in before the balls strike and before they can turn and see movement. Take a mental picture of the ball in flight, learn to call your shot. For god sakes, be patient with an ambush of any type, don't get trigger happy until they're in the kill zone, use eye movement only to track the target, don't track them with the barrel, a swinging stick is going to catch the eye. You should have a clear fire lane to where you think the target will cross, and it has to not look like an obvious path leading to you. If they're smart, they're looking for where you might be.

As for positions, it depends on what type of cover you're using. If you need to shoot over something, sitting works well. Kneeling if you need to go higher and/or get up faster. Prone provides the lowest profile, but it's difficult to get up out of in a hurry if you need to. As for improved accuracy, paintball guns suck in the accuracy. Inside of 40 yards it probably doesn't matter much whether you're standing or prone. Think of how small of a group you could shoot with a rifle at that range, that's how much it's going to open up your expected grouping.

As for civil war sniping, muskets and musket balls were obsolete by then and had been replaced by rifle muskets firing minie balls. Miniballs could be loaded as fast as earlier muskets, which were used widely over rifles since rifles firing patched round balls took longer to load. Effective range and accuracy increased dramatically, this is what led to a rapid modernization of military tactics. Snipers of the era used target rifles, some taking special ammunition designed for polygonally rifled barrels, and they had a long effective range compared to standard weapons. Early optical sights were even used. Sniping was more than guys picking out musket balls for consistency and lobbing them at officers by that time.

This post has been edited by NEKK: 19 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

IPB Image

#41 User is offline   black plaeg 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:black plaeg

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:13 PM

# 1- i make to a position immediatly off of the break, where I play there is no way for the oposition to be able to see or hear me, and make sure that I am well hidden before I finally settle down.

# 2 - depends. I mean it is all relative to the sort of cover I have, but if i had to choose, I would crouch.

#3 shoot them in the back or when they are looking away if it is at all possible, that way if you do miss, then they will not know where you are immediatly.

- Watch out, the plaeg is comming......

#42 User is offline   wbsniper94 

• "what a man fears most is what he cannot see"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:wbsniper94

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

1) B.

A sniper without a team with him is a disaster waiting to happen.

2) B or C. Depends on situation

3) C. This has always been my favorite option. If they dont see where it comes from then i can get extra shots just in case. Also I can take more than 1 out of a group this way.
SHAMELESS GUYS unite !!!!!!! PUZ for PREZ
Shameless guys quote #1: "Real men eat burgers, not pie or ikes, that's just an epic fail."

#43 User is offline   AnEchoSoldier 

• Future Property of the USMC
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AnEchoSoldier

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

I just thought of something. How many people have been set up on an ambush trail, then when the enemy unit walked by you just stand up and start following them in formation? That would be hilarious. Then just move through the squad barrel tapping everyone.

They'd notice when you barrel tapped someone, though.
"I submit to you that if a man has not found something he is willing to die for, than he is not fit to live!"
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Put This In Your Sig if Your Parents Don't Pay For Your Stuff

#44 User is offline   P V 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

View PostAnEchoSoldier, on Oct 18 2007, 10:12 AM, said:

I just thought of something. How many people have been set up on an ambush trail, then when the enemy unit walked by you just stand up and start following them in formation? That would be hilarious. Then just move through the squad barrel tapping everyone.

They'd notice when you barrel tapped someone, though.

no but at the player appreciation game at wasaga beach last year i have stepped out onto a trail behind a group of 5, tried to pull the trigger, only to notice my safety was on and jammed by a broken stick, fiddle with it (still on the trail), then have another member of the other team walk up the trail, not realize i was the enemy, let me borrow his pocket knife to free my safety, only to be tagged out as he put his knife away.. then i caught up to his buddies ahead (who by this time were involved in a fire fight with the rest of my team) and shot everyone of them in the back.. .none of them knew who shot them, or where i was... being shot from the back is very disorienting. :wacko:

EDIT: i forgot to say, i shoot very often from a crouch, as i am always 'on the go' ... i know snipers are suppose to move less than normal (movement's easily seen) , but i'm inpatient and very aggressive.. and i've been known to shoot my fair share of shots while my target(s) are still walking (looking) right at me... sounds rookie, but i KNOW, i'll hit them.. and a dead man can't shoot back.

This post has been edited by P V: 22 October 2007 - 05:23 PM

i have left these forums do to unequal moderation, please feel free to email/MSN me for all communication

#45 User is offline   Sprout 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Location:North Carolina..But u better check ur six just incase.
  • Brigade Name:Sprout2

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:52 PM

I've been a real succesful sniper....Been on patrol duty and night and caught spy..That was halarious....I've also tooken out many with prone....I'm very slender...So I just become the same height of the leafs in fall....No one sees me at all....I wana start ghost flanking...So i'm gonna have to modify my ghillie to where the front is covered good too so i can crouch sit and stand when having to get down fast....GUN CAMO IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!!REMEMBER THAT!!!I had to learn the hard way...

-Sprout :D
If you see me, it's too late.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users