Special Ops Paintball: Beat the Heat!! - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beat the Heat!! It's summer again...beware...

#31 User is offline   Bookworm 

• Every Bookworm has a story.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:40 PM

View PostErndogg, on Jun 12 2006, 07:26 PM, said:

View Postlastmanstanding, on Jun 12 2006, 09:19 PM, said:

View Postghostinthewood, on Jun 10 2006, 09:23 PM, said:

Hydration bladders and underarmor are worth it guys. :dodgy:

Yea, underarmor, love the stuff, I use it for all my sports :blink:

get it, it's good

I have never used underarmor, so correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt that add another layer of cloths and make you hotter? [also keep in mind I have never been a big sports guy as well :)]

WRONG!! a well-designed athletic shirt will keep you COOLER than playing naked! (or at least shirtless. I know this firsthand from tennis)

the best safety, drink LOTS of water between games. and don't play above 100*F. Bring a sweat towel for your head, and maybe a change of socks if you're playing for a while. (I always keep a pair in my gear bag, painty socks SUCK)

#32 User is offline   Sir Brass 

• He who bears the mark of those infected with Palmeritis
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sir Brass

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:05 AM

I have been a victim of heat exhaustion before (BSA Nat'l Jamboree 1997), almost a victim of it (OK D-Day 2004), and seen someone go from heat exhaustion to heat stroke WHILE paramedics were tending to him (OK D-Day). This is about the guy who succumbed to heat stroke.

This is from my best recollection:

I was in the air-field dead zone at OK D-Day 2004, and there was this one guy there being treated for heat exhaustion by some of the players. They were trying to get him cooled down, but that wasn't working as the air was over-saturated with moisture and it was rapidly becoming 100*F, or worse. I didn't know. I was in the shade of the bus and had shed all torso gear and clothing (I was shirtless) to cool off. Anyway, this guy isn't getting any better. ALL the available water had warmed up, and the coolest water available was on the warm side of lukewarm. So, they call the paramedics in. They get there and start the guy on an intravenous saline drip and do their best to get this guy rehydrated and get the salts and electrolytes he needs back into his system. This isn't working because they simply are NOT in the proper enviroment to cool him off. This guy is still dehydrating and FAST, so they put an IV into his other arm and attach a saline drip to that.

Nothing is working. This guy is fading fast, and his case goes from bad to worse. He finally falls victim to heat stroke. At this point, there is nothing more the paramedics can do for him. Thankfully, Dwayne had prepared for medical emergencies by hiring a medical helicopter and crew to be standing by adjacent to the camping area. The refs cleared the airfield of players and paused the game in the area, and the airfield literally became an airfield. The chopper flew in, picked the guy up and rushed him to the nearest hospital. He did NOT die.

Still, that's how bad it can get. Even if you're being treated, you could still get worse just because the enviroment is so brutal.

For those of you in the midwest and southeast, take special heed. YOU HAVE HUMIDITY, and very HIGH humidity during the summer at that. Humidity is the ENEMY to keeping cool. It saturates the air and prevents water from being evaporated efficiently off of the skin. Thus, sweating DOES NOT HELP effectively in high heat. Out here in the desert we have to really watch our water intake and make sure we drink ALOT even when we don't feel thirsty, but that's about it. The air is quite dry and moisture evaporates from it just fine. Sure we also need to replenish our electrolytes, but that's not a big deal either. The enviroment is much friendlier to the body's natural cooling system than the humid environment is; simple fact.

So, for those of you in high humidity environments, don't just try and keep in the shade and stay hydrated, STAY COOL. I can garauntee you that if you still wear non-breathing fabrics and such, then you will STILL suffer from heat exhaustion or heat stroke, b/c even though the body is trying to shed heat through sweat, the air is too damp to accept any more moisture, and thus the sweat remains condensed on your skin and is useless as it is the evaporation which cools you down. So, your body temp can still soar in those conditions, so be sure to make sure that you have nearby (like near your car) some kind of insulated ice chest. Have bottles of water and sports drinks in it, and surrounding those drinks is to be LOTS and LOTS of ice, as much as the cooler will hold and still shut. You won't just need liquids, you'll need COLD liquids.

The object is for your body to shed the excess heat. So stay VERY well hydrated, but also don't forget that getting yourself COOLED (not just hydrated) is the name of the game.
PPS Blazer (BZ2431): Veera, CCM SS-25: Emily
CPPA Member 1334
Famous last words: "Aw, crap." ~ Jake

#33 User is offline   Daeorn 

• Everywhere at Once
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:DAEORN

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:00 AM

This is possibly bringing up a dead thread but guys, remember, its in the hundreds now, and might be staying high 90's for the rest of august.

Water and rehydration is a MUST, even if you don't think you're thirsty.
When you come home and your muscles ache... means acid is entering them from use, drinking a lot of water during the game and when you get home replenses your body, and gets rid of this.

Don't hurt yourselves out there :)
"Don't worry about finding me, worry about me finding you."
Team Voodoo Scenario Paintball
"Paintball is the Voodoo, that we do, so well."

#34 User is offline   Mr.Flint 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

Ive noticed that people missed one very important thing.
Salt is your friend.
Overhydration is when you drink a lot a water and didnt replenish your salt balance.

if you are on a long scenario game, and you plan to go on a litre of water per hour schedule (and you should)
here are a few things you could do, to prevent loss of electrolysis (and get overhydrated).
The options are
1. Salt your water, add a teaspoon of salt per litre, it wont have much of effect on the taste of the water so its safe.
2. Bring a bottle of mineral water (not the clean water type, that is sold everywhere, but true mineral water, i prefer Georgian Borjomi water.)
3. Bring salty snacks! a small bag of salted peanuts will provide you enough salt for the whole day! moreover it will serve as a drink encourager, if you know that you should drink now, but dont feel like, eat the peanuts and you will feel like drinking :)

Best way of knowing that you are getting dehydrated? your pee! if you see that not much came out of you, and its very dark colored, drink! (better drink salted water (1 teaspoon of salt per litre) rather just fresh)

Note: all the above is confirmed by medical experts.

#35 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:08 AM

Great post. Especially now in the apex of the heat waves. It was 110+ yesterday so I'm sure its hotter down south. So everyone listen to him. Because heat stroke sucks.

#36 User is offline   HYPER14 

• I'm stuck at 367 posts...
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HYPER14

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:24 PM

I'm too lazy to read it all but a good tip is to LOOK AT YOUR PEE

the darker it is the more dehydrated it is. If it is clear that is a good sign.

Oh and my friend had leg spazzums at a big game we went to once...Luckily some really old guy staked out next to us and he had some sort of training and he pretty muhc told my friend to eat some chips and drink some water and law under the truck lol.

#37 User is offline   Pappa Axe 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pappa Axe

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:20 PM

Underarmor is a godsend, I was wearing an athletic works compression shirt (wal-mart brand, 12 bucks) and it was great with my vest, it was probly what saved me from overheating yesterday, and the underarmor is decent at taking a hit from a paintball, the shot was from about 25-30 yards and the paint from the ball actually soaked through the underarmor shirt and I had a bit of green goo on my arm

#38 User is offline   Willow 

• Old Man Willow
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

yep stay safe all when it comes to the heat, i work in a hot warehouse with an oven inside all day and no air condition save for a couple fans, and i keep myself hydrated.

#39 User is offline   archangel07 

• FeatherFoot
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:archangel01

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

Heat stroke is VERY serious, so is heat exhaustion. When my grandfather went to Nam, he suffered a heat stroke, and ever since, he has had a potassium deficiency. That wouldn't be so bad if the electrical charge which runs your heart runs on a chemical reaction between potassium and sodium, which is why salt, NaCl, is important. This means that in later life, he is more prone to heart attack if he doesn't take potassium pills.

I am a hardcore sniper, and have attended OK DDay the last 3 yrs, and always drink about 2-3 gallons the day before and carry about a gallon on me into the game if I dont have my camelbak on me.

Last year, due to the extreme heat and a lot of extreme stupidity, there were younger players, 9-14, all over the place who didn't bring enough water and were suffering heat exhaustion. I am only 17, but aced Anatomy & Physiology if you're wondering how I know that stuff above, but it doesn't a genious to figure out whats wrong with a kid who is laying down and cant get up in the dead zone. I was givin water to these kids and sending them back to camp. It was insanely hot.

If I see any of my team even looking like they are getting woozy, we make sure they are well hydrated.

BTW: The military uses the most efficient way to rehydrate those who have become dehydrated, and its quite the opposite direction of that which is most comfortable... you can figure that one out.

This post has been edited by archangel07: 26 August 2006 - 08:46 PM

A fool speaks because he has to say something,
A wise man speaks because he has something to say.

CJ Thompson
Rogue Recon CO
Some people say there is no such thing as a paintball sniper. That means we must be doing our job.
Infantry soldiers die in vain for a thousand shots. A sniper dies for the one shot that will change history.

#40 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

I find that the more water I drink, the more often I crave it

in a normal day Im likely not thirsty for water at all, and I kind of have to force myself to drink it, but after drinking a letre of water or so, I start getting craveings for large ammounts of water and often. I could end up back and forth to the fridge several times dureing the day just to fill up my water bottle again, sometimes guzzling down a letre in minutes.

anybody else notice the same thing ?

#41 User is offline   LinkManDX 

• Dude, I shot you!
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:LinkManDX

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

I have to agree with getting some underarmor, even though the knockoffs tend to be of slightly less quality (excluding, of course, Nike, who makes stuff that is just as good). I own a pair of coldgear (as in you wear it when its cold), and it really works well enough to replace like 3 or 4 layers of clothing, and sometimes works a little too well. I am looking into buying some hotgear, because my coldgear works so well. Coldgear is a godsend for us football players :) .

#42 User is offline   Vrysius 

• Fire breathing dragon?
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Vrysius

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:11 PM

Good post. People need to know that stuff. Good thing Specops makes hydration bladders for their vests! [yay specops (i find myself saying that all the time lol)]

#43 User is offline   drake 

• chucho el roto
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SWAMP TING

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

Very good post, I play down in south Florida and it is so important to stay hydrated. I'm 47 years old wear a guille w/ under armor. bananas(potassium) the night before is good . I drink 2 quarts before the start of the games .hydration pac W/ cold gator aid during the rounds ,and 1 quart water in between. Gator aid or any sports drinks are good to replenish your electrolites, and they have potasium and sodium(salt) in it . :D
Water is good drink drink drink !!!!!
user posted image

#44 User is offline   mac11wildcat 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mac11Wildcat

Posted 24 April 2007 - 05:01 PM

just to confirm for anybody looking into heatgear. it works just as well as its counterpart coldgear in its designated weather. this layer of heat gear will actually keep you coolor than wearing nothing. one breeze through the field and you can definetly feel the difference. heat gear is well worth the money you pay for it. coldgear can be substituted for by adding layers, heat gear simply cannot because it is adding a layer to keep you cooler, and no other products have been proven to do so

buy some heat gear and stay playing. my post proven through 100's of events (paintball, track meets, soccer games, and even just really hot days)

the way the stuff fits, you barely know its there and ive come so accustomed to it, and lke it so much that i use it, when i can, instead of beaters even in school. there simply is no substitute for heatgear or a nike similiar

BIG WARNING!! DO NOT GO GENERIC!!!! THEY SIMPLY DO NOT WORK AS WELL!!!!

this is however, NO SUBSTITUTE FOR HYDRATION OR NUTRITION!!!!

maybe this belongs in the post about protecting the jewels but, underarmor compression shorts (basically spandex boxers), can significantly reduce the amount of times a paintball will do any damage down there. i know this sounds rediculous but after wearing it for a while, your natural body motion will actually move **you know what** lower and sometimes even a tiny bit under your body (obviously, but just to clear it up with any simpletons, they dont move they just settle lower and out of the way). sounds annoying right? not really. it creates a flat area and most times, the zipper of your pants creates a shield for the area where they settle. you get used to it quickly. and you can take one more thing off the list to worry about during a game. anything from underarmor, except maybe turfgear, has a practical, and several unsuggested but useful, i guess you coudl call them positive side effects? also takes away from the anoying "riding" that can happen when under action ina normal underwear

haha, sounds awkward, but it works, i promise, hasnt done me wrong yet
WOOT UNDERARMOR!!! now all they need is camo and were all set!!!

This post has been edited by mac11wildcat: 24 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

#45 User is offline   Jonas 

• Woodsball? Sounds fun.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:H

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:35 AM

View Postlastmanstanding, on Jun 9 2006, 12:11 PM, said:

@ ASSASSIN---> I"ll just post what I posted on the other thread in the commander section:

It was a hot day, and I was talking to a rookie sniper via radio on what to do next. All of a sudden, I hear:

Him: "...eugh, i'm feelin a little dizzy..."

Me: "You alright over ther--"

Then I hear what sounds like groaning, and then I can't get hear him any more. I had to stop the game and get all 14 people playing to find a guillied up sniper in the woods. We found him unconsious, laying on his back next to a bush. THANK GOD he wasn't guillied on his stomach or we would've never found him. Turns out he had heatstroke and we had to get him to the hospital.

By far the scariest day in my life... If I wasn't talking to him on the radio, he might have died...

We talked to him later and the last thing he remembered was him saying that he didn't feel too good...

@ THE SCOUT: Jeez, underwater paintball would be sweet, although, what would you use to shoot, torpedoes? :laugh:

Kind of late to respond to this, but this shows the major importance of having a system of communication
Yeah I use an M-16 grip, wanna fight about it?

Best webcomic ever.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users