Special Ops Paintball: Review: SpecOps Sabre Vest - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: SpecOps Sabre Vest Great vest...if you're a fat-DUMPER or can sew...

#1 User is offline   Zenin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Zenin

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

I've posted my first impressions review to the LiveJournal paintballers community. This is a repost:

Overall the vest appears to be very well designed and made. The vest uses a wide elastic belt on the inside like a pod belt which keeps the load nice and secure. -I mention this belt here because their description does not make it very clear and it's a great feature. This belt is independant of the front pockets or clip (thankfully). The big front pockets are sewn on. The hydration pouch has no hooks to hold the bag (I'll add them) and does not have any tube exit or sleve at the bottom (again, I'll add it, but it really should be there already if you're going to bother adding a hydration pouch at all). A clip or loop inside the pockets (for securing one's car keys...) would be nice too...again, I'll add it but it's silly it isn't there).

Now onto the real problem...duh...

This vest is big. No, scratch that, it's huge. The product description claims, "One Size Fits All (adult sizes)", however they obviously have a different idea of how big an adult human is. For reference I am 5'8" and weight 165 lbs. In other words I am a very average male who is slightly over weight but otherwise decent shape.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

These pictures are with the vest straps as tight as they possibly can be made. Considering how this vest fits me at 165 lbs, I'd say the smallest size this vest will reasonably fit would be at least my height at 200 lbs. It's pretty clear this vest was really designed for a 6 foot male weighting 250+ lbs (and someone 300+ could wear it comfortably I'm very sure). It is not, in any way, "one size fits all" out of the box and can not be adjusted to be such without major modification.

The size issue aside, this is a very high quality vest and I think it can be made to fit me without a huge amount of modification (lucky for me I'm a theatre geek and can sew). What I plan to do is remove the front clip entirely as it adds a minimum of 5" just by itself (you can see this in the 3rd picture). In its place I'll add a zipper between the fronts. Test fitting it is still a little loose, but should be fine with the elastic belt. -And if I gain any weight in the future the sides are still adjustable (yes, they too are as tight as they can be made).

The shoulder straps are also far, far too long. The way they sewed them in the back makes it very difficult to shorten them without major rework. What I think I'm going to do is fold the straps over themselves and sew them flat. Ugly, but functional and I won't have to unstitch the vest to do it.

Conclusion: Great vest, but make sure either you're either a) A fat cow, b ) can sew, or c) have a friend or SO that can sew. And don't even bother if you're a girl or otherwise weight less then about 150 lbs...this vest just won't fit you well no matter what you do to it.

#2 User is offline   ZACHARY 

• PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:FastAttackZach

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:33 PM

Yeah same thing happened to me with the dagger vest.I tightend ALL the straps and it fit ok but when I slouch or bend over theres alout of strap leftover.Hmmmmm maby Special Ops thinks were all fat :( ...........jk :) :P .

#3 User is offline   EPIC_Snake 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-Snake-

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for the review man. I was planning on buying one myself. My question is, is there room for adding a larger pouch to the back, similar to a buttpack?

And are those ALICE style loops on the shoulder straps? Looks like you could add a radio pouch or even some grenades to it if you wanted to.
A Strong Man Doesn't Need to Read the Future, He Makes His Own." - David Hayter

IPB Image

| Sponsored by Gold Diggers Paintball and Boss Pro Shops | EPIC Unit | Special Ops Brigade Page |

#4 User is offline   Zenin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:08 PM

View Post-Snake-, on Jun 8 2006, 04:37 PM, said:

Thanks for the review man. I was planning on buying one myself. My question is, is there room for adding a larger pouch to the back, similar to a buttpack?

Where on the back? The entire lower back is consumed by the 6+2 pod holders. Above that is the tank pouch, sewn on. And above the tank pouch is a 4"x10" velcro "name plate". -They ship with a camo fabric patch to cover the black velcro if you're not using a name plate.

So the only real location is where the name plate is, but that's at the top (and thus nothing like a buttpack). There's a little bit of room to the sides of the tank and name plate, but not much.

You could cut off a couple pod holders I guess. I'm personally not sure I'll be using the center back two anyway, or if I do I'll probably have something that aren't paintballs filling those two tubes.

And are those ALICE style loops on the shoulder straps? Looks like you could add a radio pouch or even some grenades to it if you wanted to.

I'm not sure what an alice style loop is, but if it's basically a 3/4" nylon ribbon which you loop things onto, then yes that's what they are. :-) Seem to be basically the same as the nylon ribbon I see all over the front of real tactical vests, so I assume it's the same standard. -The radio pouch and ID holder both snap through them to hold on (It comes with both: I took them off for the pics above). They are the only removable/movable items on the vest. The radio pouch seems decently big: It snugly fits my Midland GXT500.

Those loops are also why I don't want to just cut the straps down from the front: I'd lose some of these attachment points.

This post has been edited by Zenin: 08 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

#5 User is offline   Zenin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:16 PM

View PostZACHARY, on Jun 8 2006, 04:33 PM, said:

Yeah same thing happened to me with the dagger vest.I tightend ALL the straps and it fit ok but when I slouch or bend over theres alout of strap leftover.Hmmmmm maby Special Ops thinks were all fat :( ...........jk ;) :( .

Does the Dagger vest have the 5" wide elastic belt on the inside? That belt is one of the reasons I went for the Sabre instead: I'd seen people mention it about the Sabre but not for the Dagger.

#6 User is offline   Damasta 

• Midnight Raider
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:jon

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

Mine fits the same way. But it fits me fine. Try to cross the "suspender straps".
IPB Image
Proudly sponsored by: QLoader | COPS911 | Undertakers Paintball | Paint and Air Sportz | Paintball Alliance
IPB Image

#7 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

View PostZACHARY, on Jun 8 2006, 06:33 PM, said:

Yeah same thing happened to me with the dagger vest.I tightend ALL the straps and it fit ok but when I slouch or bend over theres alout of strap leftover.Hmmmmm maby Special Ops thinks were all fat :P ...........jk :P :P .

Sadly in America thats somewhat true.
Hmmm Maybe I won't get that vest.

#8 User is offline   Zenin 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 June 2006 - 03:44 PM

View PostDamasta, on Jun 9 2006, 03:35 PM, said:

Mine fits the same way. But it fits me fine. Try to cross the "suspender straps".

The pics I put up don't show it, but I have it crossed in the back. I could try
crossing in the front, but that would seem awkward. I think folding over
the straps on themself in the back and sewing them down should probably
work out better for me. I'm waiting to find a good 8" zipper for the front
first before I mess with the straps.

#9 User is offline   Damasta 

• Midnight Raider
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:jon

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:17 PM

it works fine just cross the straps in the front. And it take up alot of the slack. It might be weird if you have it done in the back and teh front so just try diffrent combniations out.
IPB Image
Proudly sponsored by: QLoader | COPS911 | Undertakers Paintball | Paint and Air Sportz | Paintball Alliance
IPB Image

#10 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

You can cut some of the Interlock off of it and tighten the shoulder straps even more.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#11 User is offline   EPIC_Snake 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-Snake-

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

Well thanks for answering my questions. The nameplate area sounds good for a possible attachment point.

Also, if you dont want to lose the loops, just cut the sewing off of them and resew them higher on the straps, and cut the excess off. I dont know if you want to do all that sewing, but for a proper fit you might not have a choice.....
A Strong Man Doesn't Need to Read the Future, He Makes His Own." - David Hayter

IPB Image

| Sponsored by Gold Diggers Paintball and Boss Pro Shops | EPIC Unit | Special Ops Brigade Page |

#12 User is offline   Mitch Force 

• [l__(CRAYOLA)__l]>
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

you could cross the straps across, like the front ones that go over your chest. but the bottom will still be to big...

#13 User is offline   Ninja Jones 

• Canadian Intergalactic Space Ninja Pimp
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ninja Jones

Posted 11 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

Lol, you're wearing the same shirt I have on right now (go flecktarn!)

#14 User is offline   ixcounterfeitxi 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:ixcounterfeitxi

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:40 AM

I bought a RAP4 vest. It actually comes in sizes. and it was DESIGNED for paintball.

Meh.
-Christian

Canadian Paintball // I paintball for fun.
[WGP AIM 18+ Crow Autococker w/E trigger], [RAP4 T68 Gen2 M16A2], [Tippmann 98 Custom - Stock]

#15 User is offline   oldguny 

• The Chicago type writer.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Oldguny

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

View PostNinja Jones, on Jun 11 2006, 09:21 PM, said:

Lol, you're wearing the same shirt I have on right now (go flecktarn!)

Ha Ha .....Gremans.

When i see you your in my cross hairs,but when you see me your looking over your sholder still wondering why that tree is waving at you. "Explosives slove everthing"-Sandy WBC I'm going for a Sunday drive Navy Seal Style

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users