• You cannot reply to this topic

How to be a better REF? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Mars 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:13 AM

View Postlone wolf, on Jun 6 2006, 10:18 PM, said:

I Ref a little at a local field and don't know much and was wondering if any of you REFs out there would know how to make me a beter ref? so please inlight us. :P

First, it's enlighten - second, you're already doing the right thing by going through this forum. Research and actually being in the field is how you'll get better. Maybe go somewhere that offer "referee classes", like PTI, or something. Best of luck, lone wolf.

#17 User is offline   Masta G 

• I c u, but u don't c me
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Masta G

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

another thing

even if it means u get shot afew times, u gota make sure ppl stop shooting when the get someone out or they get out

#18 User is offline   ironwasp 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ironwasp

Post icon  Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

GOOD REFFING RULES.
#1 Safety Safety Safety know how all the gear players are using works and what it is deighned to do and not do.
3 quick safety rules
A. make sure goggles are on at all times when barrels are not plugged
B. make sure gogges are paintball approoved, properly fitted and good repair
c. chronograph all guns to not exceed 300 feet per second
#2 BE Aggresive and attentiv you cant make good calls if your chatting or not confident in your calls.Be decisive about your calls. Dont allow a player to argue a call till after youve left the feild.Then be able to tell them why you made the call.Make sure rules for speacial games are understood by all before you start. you have to pay attention to how the game is playing out. If you ref a field often enough you will be able to figure out where you need to be to make good calls.
#4 BE IMPARTIAL. Nobody wants to play at a field where the people who always win are the refs best freind.Also learn to assese the players skills and devide the teams up to equal things out. 5 on 5 is not fair if 5 players are from team dynasty and the other five never held a marker before.
#6 Help out players with equipement problems to the best of your ability. Think of yourself as an embassador for the sport you may be the first and only impression made on a new player. First time experience stays with an individual for along time.
#7 never impede the flow of the game unless there is a safety issue.you should not get into someones way while doing paint checks. technically they are still in play until you call them out or they call themself out.
#8 BE PREPARED keep games flowing and organnized nobody want to wait for the refs to get there crap together
#9 IF YOU GET PERTURBED WHEN YOU ACCIDENTALLY GET HIT FORGET REFFING AND TAKE UP CROCHET
These rules arent in any prticular order except #1 Safet first always!!!!! feel free to add to the list

This post has been edited by ironwasp: 16 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

i will give up my marker only after you pry my cold rigid fingers from the trigger

#19 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:24 PM

How about #10?

ALWAYS keep an eye on the new guys for 2 reasons,
1. Because they're the MOST likely to take off their mask or BBD.
2. Because they probobly don't have the first clue as to what's going on, watch them, make sure they don't shoot someone to close, or someone who's on their team.

This way everyone will have more fun, 'the prepared AND the latter'.

God Bless,
Doc

This post has been edited by Dr. Wiggy: 16 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#20 User is offline   oldguny 

• The Chicago type writer.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Oldguny

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

Safetyis the key! :D you can say it once, twice, 1,000,000,00........... times but its not anoff. :D
Safety is the key to being a good Ref, (also said by almost ever man/woman who has posted in this thread!) :ghillie:
Remeber Have fun!Attached File  profile_halo_sparten.jpg (3.32K)
Number of downloads: 6

This post has been edited by oldguny: 27 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

When i see you your in my cross hairs,but when you see me your looking over your sholder still wondering why that tree is waving at you. "Explosives slove everthing"-Sandy WBC I'm going for a Sunday drive Navy Seal Style

#21 User is offline   sQoshTrEE 

• 10yr Balluh
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SQOSHUA

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

it helps to carry a LARGE colorful (red or orange is best) rag with you...
oh my gosh that has saved me from being rocked so many times...
its also a great way to help flag people out after a paintcheck...

safety being the biggest thing,
i'd say friendliness is the second biggest...
when your in the game you have to be rather, um, stern...
but afterwards dont blow people off just cuzz your tired, if you've got time
try and help newbs. also, try to answer questions, peoples gosts millions...

as a ref, YOU should know like almost everything there is worth knowing about paintball and your field... or at least, thats what i think. I by no means know everything, but i gather as much info as i can. Just dont talk down to people when you become all knowing, mmk?
Official Saber #16, Officialy REF #19,
xBoxLive: TheRiTTZer sQoshyRiTTZ sQoshyEpiqphail

#22 User is offline   ThirdI 

• Elite Weekend 2007 Sportsmanship Winner and 2008 Instructor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ThirdI

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:54 PM

First and foremost, the job of a ref is SAFETY, above everything else. On that note, it is my opinion that the ref should not find himself walking away from many games without getting hit. What I mean is, especially with woodsball when the players tend to take cover in very small cover, when you see a player get hit and not have much chance to get out, you should be in there with your back taking the incoming fire. Now, the players shooting "should" stop (or you can deal with that one later) but most ref vests are of a fairly decent and thick material and will stop a lot of the damage.

#23 User is offline   B-boo 

• Behold the Proteus.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:B-Boo

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:40 AM

This thread is really usefull thanks guys. In my home town of Evansville, In there is a new indoor paintball arena where I am employed in the pro shop. I know it is speedball but hey I love to work there. Sometimes my boss makes me ref and I have read the review at pbreview.com about our reffing and I know it sucks. The refs at Splatz myself included just need some kind of training like that they offer at PTI except not as expensive. This topic really helped me in thinking about ways to help us out. Thanks Everyone.
"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, others achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."- William Shakespeare

PTI Certified Basic Airsmith #2773 : UE Paintball Club Member

#24 User is offline   EPIC_Snake 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-Snake-

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

Well, other than repeat what has already been said here, I want to add this:

- Motivate the players. Nobody enjoys a paintball game where you stand in lines and trade fire all day long and nobody moves. Get them moving! Encourage the players to move up and get their rear in gear.

- During night play, wear a bunch of glowsticks. I've seen ref's shove them in their headbands and see floating heads in the middle of the night. Once I had a whole ring of them surrounding me one night that I got lost when I first started playing.

- Help players out. If you see a large group of players in the wrong side of the field, help them out and show them the way to the action. Now this can be percieved as favoring one side over another, but realize that you should do it for any team, and not just babysitting for one side. A polite "this way" is all that is necessary.
A Strong Man Doesn't Need to Read the Future, He Makes His Own." - David Hayter

IPB Image

| Sponsored by Gold Diggers Paintball and Boss Pro Shops | EPIC Unit | Special Ops Brigade Page |

#25 User is offline   brettniles 

• Master of the excessively long post.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:NILES

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

Here is something I hate to see:

If you happen to be head ref and are running the games for the day, don't get caught up in long conversations between games. Run your games 10 to 15 min apart. Most of the players had to PAY to be there, so they want to PLAY. You shouldn't be talking about football or whatever for a half hour. Its a paintball field, I don't care. Pay attention if you hear people yelling "WOODSBALL, LETS GO!" and see your staging area filling up.

#26 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:36 AM

good point so remember play is just one more letter from pay! so if u want it u better make sure they do it!
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#27 User is offline   poohbear13 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:POOHBEAR13

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

Yup i find it's always a good idea to keep one ore two extra barrel bags in case a player drops thiers or lost it, it happens quite often

#28 User is offline   pbking_91 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Freak_91

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

View Postlone wolf, on Jun 8 2006, 04:22 PM, said:

Yeah makeing sure everyone knows your a ref can safe you a lot of pain. I got shot at less when I wave my arms to show I was a ref. But still had to doge paint coming at my face! :wacko:

yeah it is kinda stressful to be a ref . where i work we have a good amount of games and tournament so i kinda got used to the getting shot part but being a ref you see alot more and learn alot on the field by watching and paying attention to the action in front of you :P

#29 User is offline   dogstile 

• who knew that i would become the local legend?
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:dogstile

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:07 AM

View PostEPIC_Snake, on Jul 24 2007, 12:30 AM, said:

Well, other than repeat what has already been said here, I want to add this:

- Motivate the players. Nobody enjoys a paintball game where you stand in lines and trade fire all day long and nobody moves. Get them moving! Encourage the players to move up and get their rear in gear.

that annoys the hell out of me on some occasions, i just busted my butt to get up here, and you want me to move? i'm being shot at by so many paintballs that the most i can do is fire back without getting hit, and you wanted me to move? hell no

its a good thing, be be mindful of when and where you say it, because most i see tend to tell me to move up while i'm being shot at by half there team because i'm the only one who's played enough to win
"tippman rocks, if you think the same, put this in your sig"
"if the first thing you would grab if your house was on fire is your paintball gear, put this in your sig"
"if you love paintball more then your relatives, put this in your sig"
"if you are addicted to paintball, put this in your sig"

#30 User is offline   barrel squeegy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:26 PM

i find that being able to slide well really helps when getting in there for those close and dirty checks when everything is happening at once. because it keeps you out of peoples streams of fire, keeps the players happy and cuts down on bruising. when i ref at the local field i use it as a massive amount of sliding practice. it really helps my game to.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users