Finally finished my mask, and as hellspawn asked I'm posting up mine of how it came out.
Heres how they looked after I taped up my mask to avoid messes then glued the bandana to my mask with 3M super 77 and also just finished roughing up my visor: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n110/ma...k2/DCP_3647.jpg
After I did about 6 coats of mod podge to both the mask and visor, I started to cut away the excess. Note, during this I didnt cut the holes out of the mask like Hellspawn. I decided to wait until much later and cut them out when it was hard. Also, since I noticed on my profiler that the 3MSuper 77 did not really stick too well to my mask, instead of cutting the excess off at the edges, I left about a 1/2" or so of bandana and folded it to the other side while mod podging those bits 3 times.
After the mod podge dried for about 4 days, I started with the clear coating and glueing. I was debating between using clear nylon thread to kind of sew the banada onto the mask or glue. I chose glueing which this type seems to have worked for the most part, but even then some of this didnt stick in certain spots. (Next will be sewing them down if I have too.) So, during the same day I used the contact glue and after I let the glue dry a bit for about an hour, I then put about 4 coats each of the clear coat. This particular clear coat flexes surprising well and at least doubled the time it taks for the mod podge to turn white from absorbing water that was being soaked into it. (I did a test piece with 3 fan dried mod podge coats, then 2 clear coats fan dried. Mod podge when soaked in water, affected area turned white in about 30 mins. With clear coat, only three or four pencil eraser end sizes of white showed up in same amount of time, which could have happened between cracks or poor spraying on my part. Either way, it at least doubled the time and was about 90% less white in the same time.) So here it is, the glue and clear coat I used and the finished mask with holes cut and yellow that showed colored black with a sharpie as best I could with it. (yellow not really noticable in the front as it is in this pic))http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n110/ma...k2/DCP_3652.jpg
I think it came out pretty good for my first time, though the inside of the mask and visor is a mess as I went crazy with the glue so the folded edges of bandana dont come up as I want this to last as long as possible. Thanks for the mod idea Hellspawn. Never would have thought of doing this if you hadent come up with it. Great Idea.
This post has been edited by Madcat: 22 December 2006 - 03:23 PM