• You cannot reply to this topic

The A-5 Review thats right, i went there Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Gspence 

• ?
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Gspence

Posted 25 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

Tippmann A-5 (low end mechanical) $160 - $200, new.

A sturdy and reliable marker, it is one of the most popular choices for woodsball. It is very customizable, with attachments for stocks, sights, grips, barrels (duh), and body shrouds. The patented cyclone feed system will feed up to 15bps, right out of the box. the rail is a 3/8th inch fit, it uses a front velocity adapter, and the bottomline mount is custom to the A-5. It is field strippable in under 60 seconds (but i cant do it).

The A-5 is known for its sturdyness, shown by countless videos of A-5s being run over by trucks. It uses no batteries, and can (hypothetically) operate while very, very wet. (it can rust, though). It is a louder marker than most, and not many upgrades can quiet it.

The stock marker is pretty bad. the money saved by getting this instead of a PM5 can be used to upgrade it to an acceptable level. the first upgrades should be (in no particular order): barrel, stock (optional), sight, HPA.

My experience with my A-5 is positive, though expensive. I have upgraded it with an E-grip, Hamerhead Battlestikxx 14", JCS dual trigger and voodoo folding stock w/ RVA, ADCO sight, R5 offset hopper, HPA, CP bottomline adapter and bottomline w/ on/off, and polished internals. it can hold its own with many electro markers, shooting 15+ bps. all the upgrades have made it pretty heavy, though.

Positives:
no batteries, 15bps, cheap, sturdy, reliable, can run CO2 or HPA, simple and easy to clean, upgradable.

Negatives:
slow RoF unless upgraded, large, heavy, needs upgrades, loud.

For The Sniper:
a good starter marker. it can upgrade to your style of play, and since youre planning on OSOK you dont care about the RoF. you will need a better barrel for OSOK. Specops upgrades like the air-thru stock are a good idea for the prone, low-profile shooter. heavy, but you dont care either, because you dont plan on moving that much. loud, but a fair sacrifice to aviod the profile of an ion with a halo B. if you plan on getting wet, dont give it a second thought. this marker can handle whatever you throw at it, unless you throw another A-5 at it.

if you want to add on, feel free. but if you need to blatantly disagree, PM me and i will probably change it.

This post has been edited by Gspence: 28 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

IPB Image
IPB Image

#2 User is offline   famousgamer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:famousgamer

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:28 AM

Dont change the writup dude, regardless of what anyone says. You are the boss of your opinion, not anyone else. Good writeup by the way.

I personally love Tippy's, but I do not find them idealy suited for "sniping". They make a loud "chank chank" report, and the sound leaks from many areas of the marker besides the barrel, such as the bolt area and the cyclone feed area. It basicly sends the noise in 360 degrees around the marker, and the sound is sharp and distinctive enough to hone in on with greater ease than the average marker report. A much quieter alternative would be an Ion, Dye Matrix, or even many autocockers and automags.

Also, since I usually want to sprint out to midfeild at the start of a game, and peg people on their way to my flag as they walk by, I like to go with the lightest marker possible for sniping. Tippy's are some of the heavier stock markers out there. Not by much tho.

You also may want to note that once you buy a stock for a Tippy, you basicly need to by a sight riser mount, or an offset riser mount. Since there are no stocks that really address mask clearance for the Tippy's, besides the dogleg stock, you may want to be aware of this.

So, buyer beware. I agree Tippmanns rock.

Oh yeah... buy your Tippy's USED! Since they are so reliable, they rock used, unless the owner dropped it off a cliff or something. Save a bundle, and start searching Ebay. Just my .02

This post has been edited by famousgamer: 01 March 2006 - 02:31 AM

#3 User is offline   Hawk1216 

• Gunwhore
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hawk1216

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:09 PM

Personally, I've found that my a-5 has been TOTALLY reliable, yet to have any problems.

I also have found that the weight isn't really bad at all for woodsball. Speedball could be a problem, but for a sniper in woodsball, I've found that if I use a my current barrel and Shroud, "18 Inch Interceptor Barrel" and a matching shroud, and forget the remote line, the weight balances out to a perfect feel.

Soundwise, they are a bit louder, but the reliability and accuracy (with the right upgrades), it's well worth the tradeoff.

So, personally, I feel that for a sniper, with the right upgrades, this gun is excellente'.
Special Ops +39/-0
PBnation +8/-0
E-bay +77/-0

#4 User is offline   Femur Breaker 

• ^^^HeadshotPhantom makes a sweet avatar
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Femur Breaker

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

This is a pretty good review, but I am quite surprised that you said disagrements might warrant a change in what you wrote. You seem to be a very opinionated person, but I guess that I had a wrong impression.

A really good review though, and to be honest I do not see enough reviews of this marker compared to how many people use it. It is nice to hear opinions, and the truth about how people feel. Most Tippmann owners will leave out some of the negatives, but I think that this is a very honest post.

We needed this review because it makes it easier to give the newer snipers reasons why the A-5 would be a quality marker for them if it is something that they are considering. Good post.
I joined Myspace: Who wants to be my friend?...lol
Broken Bones Member (2 Femurs....!)
IPB Image

#5 User is offline   famousgamer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:53 PM

I agree the review was good, but why is the A5 is be-all-end-all marker, for every job on the feild? Its loud dude. Loud. Snipers shouldnt be loud.

Hehe, seriously man. LPK aint gonna help the volume much. Expantion chambers and little shrouds aint gonna help the volume issue either. Ported or carbon-fiber barrels will help.. but only a little, as the sound comes from the barrel tip AND the cyclone AND the bolt area. Not only that, but all the plastic on the Tippy A5 does little to stop the internal sound from travelling out. I actually think the plastic makes it louder, but that is a personal theory. What is plain fact is that they are loud.

But, I digress. Back on topic. Sorry for the rant. Good review for sure. Have a nice day.

#6 User is offline   Gspence 

• ?
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:20 PM

View PostFemur Breaker, on Mar 15 2006, 06:03 PM, said:

This is a pretty good review, but I am quite surprised that you said disagrements might warrant a change in what you wrote. You seem to be a very opinionated person, but I guess that I had a wrong impression.

well im opinionated. i just figured that if someone corrected a fact, i would change it. then the review is that much better. if someone comes here saying i did a bad job and doesnt give any reasons, ill kick his arse.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#7 User is offline   famousgamer 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:23 PM

Hehe, right on dude.

#8 User is offline   jakethesnake741 

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mr_incredible

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:07 AM

View PostFemur Breaker, on Mar 15 2006, 09:03 PM, said:

A really good review though, and to be honest I do not see enough reviews of this marker compared to how many people use it.

Thats because Tippmann has succesfully sold at least one marker to every paintball player so no one feels they need to review the A-5 or 98 simply because they have it...or have a friends brothers cousins second uncle twice removed roomates best fiend who has it :dodgy:

Not a bad review, one thing you could add tho is upgrades you can get for it that change the prefformance, like the e-grip or the LPK. Just so that people who don't really know what they are getting into can see what they can do to get the most out of their A-5's.
Bad spellers of the world untie!!!

#9 User is offline   Swk da Snipe 

• One Shot Two Balls
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SWK THE SNIPE

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

Nice post i'm gonna show this to my friend...he would be very interested

SWK :blink:
If u got no $$ but still rock at paintball, put this on ur sig
YES I AM CHEAP WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT
IPB Image

#10 User is offline   Phillips 

• You don't hear me coming till it's to late
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Phillips-apex-addict

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

hi just a little note here if you are sniping and only let off one or two shots when someone is in the area you have no need to worry about sound from firing if you are well hidden we hear in stereo and cannot pinpoint location from one or two shots this is explained furthermore on webdogradio sorry i do not have the link im having pc trouble atm
Every hole is a goal. :D

#11 User is offline   Gspence 

• ?
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2006 - 06:56 PM

imsorryicantunderstandwhatyouresayingbecauseyoudontuseperiodssoididntbothertoreadyourpost. thisisbasicallywhatyourtypinglooksliketome.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#12 User is offline   tantrum 

• phantom phreak.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:mooshie

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:27 PM

whoever said mags where quieter than A5's....you dont know what your talking about. ive owned 2 mags and they were the LOUDEST THINGS I HAVE EVER OWNED! my 98 was quieter, and i have used nuymerous A5's because i try things out many times before i want to buy. however, i settled on not buying one and just playing with my phantom. i think i will be getting one soon because i loved them.

and it doesnt really matter, cuz any experienced baller would shoot a bush if it moved just to make sure...so ghillies work sumtimes, but ive developed it into an art of noticing different color changes/patterns. so it really doesnt matter how concealed you are...you will b given away eventually.

#13 User is offline   Gspence 

• ?
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

View Posttantrum, on Mar 28 2006, 05:27 PM, said:

ive developed it into an art of noticing different color changes/patterns. so it really doesnt matter how concealed you are...you will b given away eventually.

OMG youre so cool. ;)
IPB Image
IPB Image

#14 User is offline   Sarah_Ann 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:FALCON_90

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:30 AM

cool :P i got mine for 250 <_<

#15 Guest_Mkx8_*

• Group: Guests