• +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to get maximum distance legally! Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#136 Guest_Woodland Warrior_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

To the people who say that rifling makes the ball go farther, think again. When the paintball spins through the air, it creates drag behind it, which slows it down even more than a barrel that doesn't have rifling. I learned that in a class were we built our own rockets. A person made his rocket spin, much like a paintball would in a rifled barrel. It didn't go very far at all, due to the drag and turbulence it created behind it.

#137 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

For those who say the paint runs in the shell as it spins like a hamster on a wheel...can you prove it? Because paint being as viscous as it is, physics will say centripetal force will take over causing it to stick to the outsides, thus causing the paintball to be evenly weighted. Can I prove my theory? Yes. Ever throw a bottle filled 1/4 the way with water? It wobbles as it spins. When you fire a paintball from a Flatline, does it wobble up? When you fire a paintball from a rifled barrel, does it wobble left or right? Not in my experience.

#138 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Aug 26 2008, 07:22 PM, said:

For those who say the paint runs in the shell as it spins like a hamster on a wheel...can you prove it? Because paint being as viscous as it is, physics will say centripetal force will take over causing it to stick to the outsides, thus causing the paintball to be evenly weighted. Can I prove my theory? Yes. Ever throw a bottle filled 1/4 the way with water? It wobbles as it spins. When you fire a paintball from a Flatline, does it wobble up? When you fire a paintball from a rifled barrel, does it wobble left or right? Not in my experience.

I wouldn't use the term "run" to describe the difference in movement of the paint versus the shell. Keep in mind that if the shell is spinning, it is not "linked" to the paint inside, except if you count minute intramolecular interactions, including van der waal's forces. The only case in which centripetal force would cause it to "stick" is if the viscosity of the fill were so significant that the tangential acceleration of any given molecule of paint inside the paintball were directly proportional to the tangential acceleration at any point on the shell; fluid mechanics dictates that to be impossible (there will always be a loss of energy and thus turbulence across the cross-section of a fluid in motion due to turbulence). The reasons that a water bottle will wobble when spun is a function of the viscosity and the presence of a non-proportional combination of the two content fluids in the bottle compared to the typical paintball (not to mention that it's far from a spherical shape). "Rifled" paintball barrels use straight grooves, not spiraling ones, hence the reason they don't exhibit the wobble that would occur from spiraling grooves.

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

#139 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 27 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

Not true. Many rifled barrels use spiral rifling, and if water is viscous enough, so is paint.

#140 User is offline   lenm 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 19 September 2008 - 04:51 AM

Tyger

I have to congratulate you on your analytical approach to a practical 'problem'... A single comment, should you not mind:
Your reasoning reagrding lighter and heavier paintballs rests on the fact the a light or heavy paintball would leave the barrel at the same velocity. However, when considering your qouted conservation of energy rule in combination with the stated formula for inertia we find:
The same amount of energy is available to propel a light or heavy paintball. The formula for momentum then makes it clear that, that bugger 'inertia', would cause the heavier ball to leave the barrel at a lower speed than the lighter ball. HOWEVER as you clearly explained their aerodynamic properties are the same AS WELL as their momentum, even though their velocities differ. Accordingly, they would travel equal distances, yet at different velocities...

Hope this assists in the overall discussion.

#141 User is offline   MIR Sniper 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

lenm, you see at the same velocity setting the heavier ball would leave the barrel going slower, but because your allowed to adjust your velocity you could turn up your velocity to make the ball go just as fast. Get what I'm saying? Also thanks for all your great work Tyger!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by A5 Dagger: 17 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

#142 User is offline   cheese_6969 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:POTATOHEAD

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

i don't know how much physics has changed since i got outta school, but i do remember that for Kinetic Energy (K) it does consist on Mass(M) and Velocity. (V) This has already been mentioned, but your equation is wrong. This was also when i took Driver's Ed as well. You guys are saying the equation is K=M*V. The equation is actually K=M*V*V. do in doubling the velocity, you actually quadruple the energy. So the principle behind this is obvious when you look at the .223 round, and the .308 round. While the .223 round travels at a slightly faster velocity than the .308, the .308 weighs more than the .223. So while the .223 leaves the muzzle at a faster speed, its max effective range is 600 yards. The .308 has a max effective range of 800 yards.

The .308, 146.6 grain round's muzzle velocity is 2756 ft/s (840m/s), and has a muzzle energy of 2472ft-lb (3352 Joules)
The .223, 63 grain round's muzzle velocity is 3070ft/s (936m/s), and has a muzzle energy of 1325ft-lb (1796 Joules)

so out of the muzzle, the .308 has nearly double the energy, yet its travelling at a much slower speed.

Now i understand this is with bullets, and not paintballs. with paintballs there is maybe a .005-.010 in size. Weight i'm not sure. but considering we all have a similar velocity, and most paintballs have a similar velocity. we all have identical max effective ranges, maybe 10-20 feet difference. Only way you can maximize the effective range, is if you put your velocity to your field's max, and use high quality paint, which has better seams, that don't cause bad paint-barrel match.

As for the necro post comment, maybe you should have looked to see it was a PINNED TOPIC first!

This post has been edited by cheese_6969: 21 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

#143 User is offline   sipbgod94 

• proud pistol toter
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

Holy Necro post batman!
Resident Lax know-all, got a lacrosse related question ask here.

#144 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

Well my head throughly hurts now, between all of the arguing and the fact that I don't like reading about physics late at night.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#145 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

View PostIrishMack, on Sep 7 2009, 10:14 PM, said:

Well my head throughly hurts now, between all of the arguing and the fact that I don't like reading about physics late at night.

*facepalm*

THEN DONT NECRO POST!!!
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic