• You cannot reply to this topic

What is Black Cell? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   8-Ball 

• The Original Elite Dagger. Original join date 061004, member #10
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:8 - BALL

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:17 PM

SmartParts makes speedball markers. Can they be used in the woods - yes sure, if that's what you want to do. But SpecialOps is a strictly woodsball-oriented store. They won't sell things that aren't DESIGNED for woodsball. Everything on the store is about camoflauge, carrying a large amount of gear, and military and/or woodsball style markers. The only exception I can think of are the PMI markers.

Technically you can use anything you want in woodsball. You can bring your shiny Angel into the woods, but SpecialOps isn't going to sell it. That's why you won't see the ION [or any other similar marker] at the SpecialOps Store.

Well let me lay a few things to rest here for all you worry worts.

Before Spec Ops, Woodsball was hardly a recognized marketing pool. There was Speedball and Scenario. Speedball marketing all the high end, shiny rope shooters and Scenario marketing realistic, basically mechanical markers. The was nothing (or very little) for players who played in the woods yet didn't want to play Rambo. There were NO mods for players who wanted something to help there game. "mods that made sense" mods that considered form over function, yet looked good IN THERE OWN RIGHT, not a copy of an M4 or soemthing.

Thing is back when Spec Ops started most Woodsball players used Tippmanns. Why? because they fit the bill, were tough as nails...and you know what? they also worked great as a "Woodsball" gun, they weren't a replica of something else.

But you see, like most things in life, even Woodsballers "evolve", many go into Sneanrios, some even wander into the "Darkside" and play Speedball, or just love the allure of higher rates of fire for the tactical advantage they offer. So now the dilemna......finding mods so that those "experinced" Woodsball players can find mods for their high end guns? And how does a company like Spec Ops who is founded in the roots of paintball, recognize this new evolution and still stick to it's roots?

Enter Black Cell.........Now see, hopefully I don't get in trouble for saying too much too soon. "The Evolution Revolution"

So for those of you disappointed by the dagger, this isn't the law of what you have to use, this is only the beginning. A starting point, like Spec Ops was to the Woodsball industry 3 yrs ago. A new vision, take your blinders off, open your horizons and use a little creativity. Nothing is cast in stone. The first chips of the sculpture have just barely hit the floor, be your own michaelangelo. Black cell at least gives you that building block to sculpt what works for you........Still "mods that make sense", just a little more grown up, that's all. B)

#2 Guest_DSF_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:21 PM

Renegade Ranger 1 spec ops didnt take a dead woodsball and bring it back to life.
Woodsball was getting big and spec ops thought "hey we like woodsball, lets do something for woodsball"
It was because woodsball was making it big again, it has been coming back for the past 5 years.

#3 Guest_MOATI_*

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

DSF, on Oct 28 2005, 12:21 PM, said:

Renegade Ranger 1 spec ops didnt take a dead woodsball and bring it back to life.
Woodsball was getting big and spec ops thought "hey we like woodsball, lets do something for woodsball"
It was because woodsball was making it big again, it has been coming back for the past 5 years.

Woodsball never was dead. It's not been making a comeback over the past 5 years as it never went away. Nobody recognized that it was around though so nobody (meaning paintball manufacturing companies) gave the woodsball players things that they could use to play the game better. If you wanted gear improvements, you went speedball...simple as that.

Enter Special Ops. A company founded by...guess what...PAINTBALLERS! Even today, the overwhelming majority of Spec Ops employees (and pretty much all of upper management) are paintball players. We host games most weekends if we're not out playing in some other event. Spec Ops questioned that...if 80% + of the paintballers are playing in the woods like we do....then why doesn't somebody give them things to help their game? They decided that Special Ops Paintball would do just that.

#4 Guest_DSF_*

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:34 PM

MOATI, on Oct 28 2005, 01:32 PM, said:

DSF, on Oct 28 2005, 12:21 PM, said:

Woodsball never was dead. It's not been making a comeback over the past 5 years as it never went away. Nobody recognized that it was around though so nobody (meaning paintball manufacturing companies) gave the woodsball players things that they could use to play the game better. If you wanted gear improvements, you went speedball...simple as that.

Enter Special Ops. A company founded by...guess what...PAINTBALLERS! Even today, the overwhelming majority of Spec Ops employees (and pretty much all of upper management) are paintball players. We host games most weekends if we're not out playing in some other event. Spec Ops questioned that...if 80% + of the paintballers are playing in the woods like we do....then why doesn't somebody give them things to help their game? They decided that Special Ops Paintball would do just that.

i didnt say it was dead, i said it was coming back in the last 5 years. As in it hit a low, and then started coming back.

#5 User is offline   fullofpaint 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:fullofpaint

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:54 PM

I volunterer to test any products for the DM5 B)

#6 User is offline   PAINTBALL_CHRISTOPHER 

• Alpha Recon - We fight as one, and fear none
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Recon07

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:57 PM

alright enough dont flame seriously you look like 5 year olds when you argue and nerds, just stop

#7 User is offline   viper_king 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:viper_king

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:44 PM

PAINTBALL_CHRISTOPHER, on Oct 28 2005, 02:57 PM, said:

alright enough dont flame seriously you look like 5 year olds when you argue and nerds, just stop

no one is argueing people are just presenting their views. I think you posted in the wrong thread and if you did not i would ask you to read over this again because these are these peoples views. that it was constitutes a discussion. it seems you post quite a bit saying people are flaming and frankly this is annoying so please stop.

yours truly
viper_king

EDIT here is a definition for you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming

This post has been edited by viper_king: 28 October 2005 - 04:13 PM

#8 User is offline   8-Ball 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:11 PM

PAINTBALL_CHRISTOPHER, on Oct 28 2005, 09:57 PM, said:

Christopher,

I believe it's the admins and mods "job" to decide what is and isn't proper forum etiquette. Trying to push other members around isn't any more mature than flaming or arguing. neither of which is happening here.

Thanks Bro, but DSF, MOATI and I are all cool here.
Ed

#9 Guest_bookworm_*

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:55 PM

PAINTBALL_CHRISTOPHER, on Oct 28 2005, 01:57 PM, said:

how does one go about "stopping being a nerd?"
it's just how I am, I argue technicalities. I AM A NERD, no way around it. Im 15, and Im in college algebra with trig, studying computer programming, I AM A NERD!

why is being a nerd "bad"?

#10 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHADOANGEL

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:41 AM

Alright bookworm, let's keep it on topic.

Nobody recognized that it was around though so nobody (meaning paintball manufacturing companies) gave the woodsball players things that they could use to play the game better. If you wanted gear improvements, you went speedball...simple as that.
I, respectfully, disagree. My 98C runs off of a Hammerhead Barrel kit, a Ricochet G2K hopper, a 32* Remote Line and a JCS Folding Combat stock. All are gear improvements that have nothing to do with SpecialOps. I won't deny that SpecialOps is completely awesome and has brought some radical improvements to the woodsball side of things - and in fact, changed the way woodsball is being played by creating the Brigade, Forums, and Game Locator, but to say that upgrades for popular woodsball [read: Tippmann] markers didn't exist before SpecialOps is a falsehood.

IMO, SpecialOps produces the best upgrades [ie: Air-Thru stocks!], but they're not the first and only ones.

Woodsball never was dead. It's not been making a comeback over the past 5 years as it never went away.
I can't say for the industry as a whole, but I know dozens and dozens of people of *all* ages that picked up woodsball within the past 5 years, that didn't play much or at all before 2000. This might not be a reflection of everyone, but in my experience woodsball had been picking up, before SpecialOps.
ShadoAngel | My BST Feedback Thread

#11 User is offline   8-Ball 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:57 AM

I, respectfully, disagree. My 98C runs off of a Hammerhead Barrel kit, a Ricochet G2K hopper, a 32* Remote Line and a JCS Folding Combat stock. All are gear improvements that have nothing to do with SpecialOps

Well with all due respect ShadoAngel,

That Hammerhead was designed how long ago? uhm, less than two years ago, and isn't neccessarily, primarily a Woodsball product. Neither is that 32* remote or the JCS Combat folding stock...also another product developed after Spec Ops starting hitting the market, marketing to Woodsball players. The fact that MOST, and I repeat most companies have products now that are designed PRIMARILY with Woodsball players in mind has to do with the splash Spec Ops made.

Like the 32* remote, it was marketed to Scenario players to get the tank off their heavy Milsim and Tippmann markers. But it was Spec Ops who developed the concept of using air through stocks for remotes to allow a remote user to shoulder a marker properly without the extra drag and to frree up your remote line, wasn't it?

It was also Spec Ops who said typical combat style stocks are great for combat situations, but they don't allow proper shouldering with a mask on. Hence the initial cut outs on the A5A2 stocks and eventually the Dogleg stock we see today.

So sure there's other products out ther, and many of them are great, like that 32* remote and that Hammerhead barrel, but are a lot of those other products designed to really make your paintball experience it's best or are they just something that looks tactical, yet yeilds little tactical advantage?

Just because you can put it on your gun, doesn't mean it's good. ;)

#12 Guest_MOATI_*

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:25 PM

I agree with RR1. Much of what had been available, was not specifically woodsball oriented. Those things that were marketed for woodsball or scenario players (ie: stocks) were simply knock offs or replicas of real life items. Now these items are popular among Mil Sim crowds and in many cases are better than nothing....but what Spec Ops did was take what woodsballers and scenario gamers wanted...and built it with Paintball in mind. Clothing made for paintballers as opposed to Motocross...stocks that you can use with a mask on...mags that serve a function other than looks...vests made for paintball instead of military vests modified...a magazine that highlights woodsball and scenario instead of tourney...tourney...tourney, and so many more things that are still being developed that will truly revolutionize the game we play.

As for the growth of woodsball...I'm not saying it hasn't grown in the last 5 years. The entire sport has been on a steady growth for a long time. My point is, that woodsballers have ALWAYS been the vast majority of paintballers...and yet most company's have catered to speedball. Now if you go back far enough, you'll find companies that have provided for woodsballers...but that's because at the time that's all there was. What Spec Ops has started to do...and will continue to do...is bring woodsball together with modern paintball.

#13 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:12 PM

RR1 - I am not debating the quality of SpecialOps products over the quality of other companies products. The point of the paragraph you quoted was that SpecialOps did not invent woodsball upgrades FIRST. People out in the woods have been upgrading their markers for years before SpecialOps existed. I totally agree that SpecialOps has changed the way we upgrade our markers and has made a huge splash in the industry - no one can deny that. I love SpecialOps and the way they've helped my own game and marker, but they didn't INVENT so much as they UPGRADED. That is to say, stocks existed before SpecialOps - but SpecialOps made stocks better [a LOT better]. Regulators and magazines existed before SpecialOps, but SpecialOps put a reg inside a mag and made it easy to attach to an A-5. Remote lines and stocks existed before Special Ops, but SpecialOps created the AIR-THROUGH stock.

I'm as much pro SpecialOps as anyone else on this board, but, to repeat myself: to say that upgrades for popular woodsball [read: Tippmann] markers didn't exist before SpecialOps is a falsehood.

As for the growth of woodsball...I'm not saying it hasn't grown in the last 5 years. The entire sport has been on a steady growth for a long time. My point is, that woodsballers have ALWAYS been the vast majority of paintballers...and yet most company's have catered to speedball. Now if you go back far enough, you'll find companies that have provided for woodsballers...but that's because at the time that's all there was. What Spec Ops has started to do...and will continue to do...is bring woodsball together with modern paintball.
Amen! :D

I tend to agree more with MOATI, SpecialOps has revolutionized woodsball, but they didn't invent it.

Lastly, BlackCell-ION [the whole reason this forum/thread exists] is awesome. SpecialOps didn't invent rails, the ION, or the ION's body-style. But SpecialOps designed an AWESOME kickbutt ION body that looks like it's other tough plastic products, with rails to mount upgrades and a body that can accept SpecOps stocks! I don't want anyone thinking I don't think SpecialOps and their products aren't truly great. I'm just a finiky man obsessed with details.
:P

#14 User is offline   8-Ball 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

ShadoAngel,

We're saying the same thing just in a different way. I don't think I ever actually said Spec Ops invented Woodsball. And what I was really trying to get across was that the aproach Spec Ops took was alot different than what anyone else was, or has taken since. There really is a different mind set to the way products are developed between Spec Ops and other companies. I can say this because Spec Ops is not the first, or only company that I am close to or that I have worked with on products. Though I work for NO Paintball companies .......... at the moment.

I am not disagreeing with you at all. Thanks for clearing that up Bro. B)

#15 User is offline   ShadoAngel 

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:15 PM

We're saying the same thing just in a different way. I don't think I ever actually said Spec Ops invented Woodsball. And what I was really trying to get across was that the aproach Spec Ops took was alot different than what anyone else was, or has taken since. There really is a different mind set to the way products are developed between Spec Ops and other companies. I can say this because Spec Ops is not the first, or only company that I am close to or that I have worked with on products. Though I work for NO Paintball companies .......... at the moment.

I am not disagreeing with you at all. Thanks for clearing that up Bro.
Totally agree. :angry:

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users