Special Ops Paintball: The Canadian Thread - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Canadian Thread Everything we need to know... but were afraid to ask... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

So.....since we have such a strong Canadian influence on this forum, I thought I'd take the time to ask some questions about Canada. I mean, I could look stuff up on Wikipedia, but this is more fun. Now, I have been to Canada once. I went to Vancouver and Victoria. I also went on an international exchange to the U.K. and there were several Canadians there, including one French Canadian. But since I didn't know anyone in Vancouver or Victoria, and since the kids on my exchange trip were not...friendly... I didn't learn as much about Canada as one might hope.

In the spirit of reducing ignorance, I will try to keep my stupid questions to a minimum. But in case I do ask a stupid question, please keep in mind I am asking in sincere interest and do not intentionally ask anything offensively.

Ssssssoooo...... What's the deal with two official languages? French and English, right? Do I recall correctly that both are required in school? French Canada is basically one province, is that correct? I'm sure that French Canadians reside all over Canada, but one main province speaks primarily French? When in predominantly English-speaking parts of the country, do the French Canadians speak English? Or do they continue on in French since most of the population (given its school requirement) should have basic proficiency in French? I'm sure it varies from person to person, but what do you think most do? I'm curious about how the bilingual dynamic works in Canada.

I grew up in a place that has a constant influx of Spanish-speaking people. In a way, since we have, and have had for quite some time, such a steep increase in the number of these immigrants, it is too bad that we have not required the teaching of Spanish alongside English. I won't debate the whole issue, because I know many people swing to the "English Only" side. However, our lack of requirement to learn other languages results in the immigrants keeping to themselves, and etc, etc, etc.

Thoughts?
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

Yes, 2 official languages are English and French, though the way things are going I'm sure a third and fourth are being considered. We have both French and English schools that teach the other official language in a single class. They also offer Immersion classes. They start teaching it in grade 5.

Few people speak the other language at home so we lose our limited grasp on it. Personally I think it's taught wrong anyway. I get that French has male and female versions of the same word but focusing on using un or une is stupid. Teach people to speak it well enough to get a point across and THEN focus on the fiddly bits.

Most provinces have a French Canadian population, though some have a higher population than others. Quebec is almost completely French, with a few English areas.

Most employers don't require multilingualism, but Government positions require some, and it definitely helps in certain areas of the country, like in Ottawa or along the Quebec borders.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#3 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

Thanks, Puz. Do you often run into French Canadians?
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123

#4 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Depends on where you are and where you go. Closer to the Quebec borders you run into them very regularly. Here in London, ON, I run into a few here and there but Hispanic/Latino and middle eastern are much more common.

As you move west through Canada the number of French Canadians seems to decrease, but bigger cities tend to have a French area. Rural communities tend to fairly evenly divided between French, English or bilingual.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#5 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

New Brunswick is the only province with both official languages. There are places in other provinces that you can find French commonly used. Sudbury or the valley of Nova Scotia are just two.

Remember that in the beginning French Canada was west of Quebec including west of the Mississippi. Ohio, Michigan and others was French Canada for years. all part of the fur trading industry. Yes the French Canadians were the main explorers of your Great Lake states.

#6 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. :)

Slink, I did know the bit about Great Lakes. Don't forget about the giant swath of the US that was the Louisiana Purchase. It's actually pretty amazing that French stayed in New Orleans (Cajun Creole is largely French) and we don't have much more of it here.

Do you think that Canada and the US are mostly the same, or mostly different?

#7 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

Well, in New Orleans we didn't have to deal with the Brits so early on. And much of New Orleans is more Spanish than French. West Louisiana is much more Cajun/Creole than NOLA is. Though the French influence is still very apparent.

This post has been edited by Cuy'val Dar : 02 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#8 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Cajuns are replanted Acadians from Nova Scotia. The locals couldn't say Acadian and it sounded like Cajun. The Brits tried to clean house.

@ike. We are very similar. Both countries are so diversed. There are more similarities with Maine and New Brunswick than New Brunswick and Manitoba. A safe Canada and US is in both our interests. Ontarians sound more like Californians than Texans do.

The Louisiana purchase was when France governed Mexico. England ceded Ohio after the revolutionary war. France was the US's biggest ally. Without France there would not be a US. Military arms, training, naval protection and trading was done by France.

#9 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'm not going to debate history with you SLINK!!!!!! :P I know when the LA purchase was, and what we got! :P :D I also know that the period you were referring to was much earlier. I only commented about the LA purchase in reference to being surprised we weren't left with a much greater influence. :)

THanks for the info Dar. I've been to Louisiana, but not that far south. Learn something new every day.

#10 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

all i want to know is how many sandy mctires have you got, and how often ( as in how many times a week ) do you frequent a tim hortons ?

#11 User is online   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Do Canadians make good pets & are they easy to house-train?

#12 User is offline   stinkfingr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostThe Stuntman, on 08 January 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

lol ... they get old and cranky, eh ? .. and hit people with banhammers when they go oot and aboot ... hahaha

#13 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostThe Stuntman, on 08 January 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Good luck neutering me....
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

View Postklaatu, on 08 January 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

all i want to know is how many sandy mctires have you got, and how often ( as in how many times a week ) do you frequent a tim hortons ?

Not many. Gave them all to my kids school. I think I've got $0.50 worth.

Timmies? Very rarely, maybe once a month. I never liked their coffee. Donuts are good though.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Puzuma 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Here's some info on bilingualism here.... http://news.national...b-a-year-study/
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users