Special Ops Paintball: At what point do you give up tinkering? - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

At what point do you give up tinkering?

#1 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

I mean, I LOVE to think of myself as a "tinkerer" of sorts. And when I'm between playing, I like to pretend that I can fix markers and take them apart and put them together again. It's "fun". Well, it's fun when it works. The rest of the time, it's just a constant frustration and constant reminder that I am NOT a very good tinkerer.

And I wonder to myself, at what point do you "give up"? I don't want to give up. I want to pretend that I'm "handy" with a wrench. But I have an auto cocker...that HATES me...and a Max-Flo reg that I doubt will EVER work properly. To this day, I'm AMAZED that I was able to tune not one, but TWO Level 10s in my Mags. I know!

So...tinkerers....lets hear your stories of failures....I'll start.

I bought a "Rebel LE"...first mistake.

A Rebel LE is a Spyder clone...but a horrible, horrible Spyder clone. It looks cool...but it shredded paintballs like a garbage disposal on cocaine. I thought I would fix the problem by feeding the balls faster...so I custom made a Warpfeed force the balls up and into the Vertical feed neck. Well, that didn't work either. So, I figured I'd polish the bolt and internals...that seemed to make the problem worse. So I started to shop for custom o-rings...that would help seal the inside so I wouldn't get "blowback", which seemed to be the culprit.

For those unfamiliar, "blowback" is when a blowback marker fires and some of the air escapes up the vertical feed neck and "blows" the ball up...which can cause it to get stuck and the bolt to shred it. Well, I bought boxes and boxes of custom made o-rings...trying to find that perfect size...never did.

Finally, I gave up. I sent it to 32 degrees who made the Rebel, they just said it looked fine and worked as designed. Apparently, it was not designed to fire faster than one ball every few seconds. So...I Ebayed it...for cheap...and kissed it goodbye...tinkerer FAIL...
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#2 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

I still have an old Spyder Rodeo that Ive been tinkering with trying to find the leak for almost 3 years....replaced everything. Twice.
...one of these days, dammit. One of these days just when its not looking...

#3 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:11 AM

I tinker until it works or I get pissed enough to break whatever I'm tinkering with. Not people would be impressed with the fact that I only ever intentionally broke one q-pod.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#4 User is offline   kev102491 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

never give up "tinkering" im new to the sport and all sure but as with any thing mechanical if you cant fix it or make it work better google it!!!If google doesn't work then find a hack for it make a concealed shooter hide it up ur sleeve with a pull me trigger and be all hahahahah i still got u lolz but a "tinker" by definition cant doesn't and wont stop so keep at it an one day it will work just ask my bike it took about a year but i finaly have it running mostly riglt

#5 User is offline   voodoo 

• Black Ops Apocalypse Rogue Squad (B.O.A.R.S)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Voodoo

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

I give up when a simple fix (and a little too much enthusiasm) turns into a basket case with broken banjos, poppets and o-rings that are so "unique" that the replacement parts cost more than a new marker...or close to it.

*sighs*
Posted Image
~XTREME REIGN~B.O.A.R.S

#6 User is offline   commander bond 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

at what point do you "give up"

Never .......... I say NEVER give up!

What you can't fix today you may be able to fix later (sometimes 1 year later). It happens to me all the time.
I tinkered 1 week on and off with a g18 airsoft that wouldn't work. Dropped the project for a couple of weeks an then i fixed it. Solution was pretty easy.

#7 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Tinkering is like doing meth. When you "give it up", eventually the itch comes and you give in. I assume. I've never been hooked on meth. But I do tinker. What? I can quit when I want!
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#8 User is offline   Lt.Col.Vortex 

• Death itself
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Tinkering is what I do to de-stress. Nothing in this world is ever quite right, it needs my love :)

#9 User is offline   James Watts 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:ganama

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

Never I say never give up"tinkering" im new to the sport and all sure but as with any thing mechanical if you cant fix it or make it work better google it. If google doesn't work then find a hack for it make a concealed shooter hide it up ur sleeve with a pull me trigger. But i tinker until it works or I get pissed enough to break whatever I'm tinkering with. Not people would be impressed with the fact that I only ever intentionally broke one q-pod.

Paintball Gear

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users