Special Ops Paintball: Your Favorite Books - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Favorite Books What are they? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   shadow_772 

  • Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,272
  • Joined: 05-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MA
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

Did this on a couple different forums and got some awesome reading material out of it.

My number one is undoubtedly the Night Angel Trilogy. Excellent series of books, I can only wish it would have gone on longer...


Other series/books in no particular order:

The Wheel of Time (On the 8th book right now). These are well done, though the author goes into tons of unnecessary detail a bit.
The Warded Man (Peter V. Britt)
Hunger Games
Lone Survivor
Mistborn Trilogy
Enders Game (Well done, though aimed at a younger audience IMO), Speaker for the Dead on the other hand is not.

This post has been edited by shadow_772: 26 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

0

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

  • That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 14,381
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London ON, Canada
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

Let's see......


Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit
The Dresden Files
Star Wars (Tons of books, tons of authors. Haven't found one I haven't liked)
Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy (entire series)
Wind in the Willows
The Destroyer novels

I also enjoyed all the Harry Potter books. Tried to read the first Twilight book and didn't care for it. Read the first 3 chapters of Jacinto's Remnant(Gears of War)found it to be dull.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.
0

#3 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

  • 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 759
  • Joined: 31-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ponchatoula Louisiana
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

Let's see...
Star Wars series (various books, specifically the republic commando line)

A lot of John Ringo's stuff is pretty good.
Michael Chrichton is good.
I read a lot and am comming up short. lol

more later
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie
0

#4 User is offline   shadow_772 

  • Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,272
  • Joined: 05-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MA
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, I agree about Gears Puz. Thinking about it, I threw them up there because they were in my kindle. Not much of a reason there. Took em' off.
0

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

  • The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,296
  • Joined: 23-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Albert, AB
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

View Postshadow_772, on 26 June 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

Did this on a couple different forums and got some awesome reading material out of it.

My number one is undoubtedly the Night Angel Trilogy. Excellent series of books, I can only wish it would have gone on longer...


Other series/books in no particular order:

The Wheel of Time (On the 8th book right now). These are well done, though the author goes into tons of unnecessary detail a bit.
The Warded Man (Peter V. Britt)
Hunger Games
Lone Survivor
Mistborn Trilogy
Enders Game (Well done, though aimed at a younger audience IMO), Speaker for the Dead on the other hand is not.


These bolded ones and others.

As for Wheel of Time and Robert Jordan, just wait man. Seriously, even a little thing Rand said in the first book shows up later on. It's ridiculous how many connections appear, and it's too bad Sanderson got to throw all the action packed surprises out there when Jordan died (though Sanderson is pretty good too).
0

#6 User is offline   Mobles 

  • Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,921
  • Joined: 23-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tennessee/Alabama state line
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

old stuff


new stuff

never remember authors names, if its catchy in the first 5 minutes ill read it
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

0

#7 User is offline   shadow_772 

  • Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,272
  • Joined: 05-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MA
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 26 June 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

View Postshadow_772, on 26 June 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

Did this on a couple different forums and got some awesome reading material out of it.

My number one is undoubtedly the Night Angel Trilogy. Excellent series of books, I can only wish it would have gone on longer...


Other series/books in no particular order:

The Wheel of Time (On the 8th book right now). These are well done, though the author goes into tons of unnecessary detail a bit.
The Warded Man (Peter V. Britt)
Hunger Games
Lone Survivor
Mistborn Trilogy
Enders Game (Well done, though aimed at a younger audience IMO), Speaker for the Dead on the other hand is not.


These bolded ones and others.

As for Wheel of Time and Robert Jordan, just wait man. Seriously, even a little thing Rand said in the first book shows up later on. It's ridiculous how many connections appear, and it's too bad Sanderson got to throw all the action packed surprises out there when Jordan died (though Sanderson is pretty good too).


That's what my buddy told me. He is just too intricate about a lot of things. Environments and people are described to incredible depth. I am getting there though.

Any other recommendations from you considering you seem to like the same writing styles? A friend recommended the sword of truth series.

This post has been edited by shadow_772: 26 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

0

#8 User is offline   IrishMack 

  • Better than You
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 734
  • Joined: 17-June 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:New York

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

Lord of the Rings,
Sherlock Holmes,
The Hobbit,
Star Wars,
A series of unfortunate events,
Chronicles of narnia
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"


"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)
0

#9 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

  • The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,296
  • Joined: 23-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Albert, AB
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:51 PM

View Postshadow_772, on 26 June 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

That's what my buddy told me. He is just too intricate about a lot of things. Environments and people are described to incredible depth. I am getting there though.

Any other recommendations from you considering you seem to like the same writing styles? A friend recommended the sword of truth series.


I always found Tolkien much worse for that than Jordan. To be honest, Tolkien struck me as a poor writer, but I haven't read those since Junior High.

Well...Sanderson had another new series I started...let me see... "The Way of Kings" - Book one of the Stormlight Archive. Only book available as far as I know, so far...

Also, "The Black Prism" was another first in a new series by Brent Weeks (Night Angel author, apparently). Interesting magic based on colours and light.

I read a series called "The Black Company" by Glen Cook - was on vacation so bought the whole series at once based on the cover illustrations (lol). Sounded a bit darker, based on a company of mercenaries who end up working for the "bad guys" and have to battle against magic, etc. At first, the writing and lack of detail DROVE ME CRAZY. Eventually (it took a while, I admit), I got used to the relatively uneducated mercenary narrator and finished all of them. They weren't bad.
0

#10 User is offline   PistolWhipped 

  • Headshot Specialist
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 206
  • Joined: 09-January 07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hoo boy. Here we go.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time is legit. I kinda fell outta the books about number 6, now I'm starting back from the prequels.

Also, do yourselves a favor. Read Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. Now. Not the bull crap "legend of the Seeker" tv show, but the actual novels. The show is crap. In the books, the interpersonal interactions, the flow of the dialogue, and many other things seem so much more natural than any other fantasy I've read. Including Wheel of Time. You really loose hours reading it. I burned the first 5 novels in a week when I started. That was before gainful employment though. I even have a hardback copy of Chainfire autographed by Mr. Goodkind himself. I would recommend this series to ANY and everybody.

Getting into the Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. It's the first of the "Song of Fire and Ice" series. REALLY good books. On par with Jordan and Goodkind.

The Drizzt Do'Urden novels are worth the read. Glen Cook's "Black Company" are as well.

For less fantastical series, Steven Hunter makes some writes incredible action. Like reading an action movie. I am especially fond of the Bob Lee Swagger Novels, specifically the first few (Point of Impact and Time to Hunt are my absolute favorites).

Jeff Cooper. The man was a former combat Marine, a firearms instructor, a worldly hunter, a gifted writer, a wise soul, and an incredible man. Books like "Fireworks", "Another Country", and "To Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth" make for excellent company when you are alone. I mourn that I never had the opportunity to meet the man.

Why are you still reading this crap. GOODKIND! NOW!

This post has been edited by PistolWhipped: 26 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

“You deserve nothing. Remember that.”
Posted Image
My Feedback. +3/-0
0

#11 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

  • The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,296
  • Joined: 23-January 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Albert, AB
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:26 PM

I liked Terry Brooks too, at least when I was younger. Guy Gavriel Kay. Sheesh, it feels like I have no time to read regular books during school so it's weird to be still able to name authors... lol.

Tom Clancy, Robert Ludlum, etc. aren't bad either.
0

#12 User is offline   shadow_772 

  • Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,272
  • Joined: 05-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MA
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:08 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 26 June 2011 - 10:51 PM, said:

View Postshadow_772, on 26 June 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

That's what my buddy told me. He is just too intricate about a lot of things. Environments and people are described to incredible depth. I am getting there though.

Any other recommendations from you considering you seem to like the same writing styles? A friend recommended the sword of truth series.


I always found Tolkien much worse for that than Jordan. To be honest, Tolkien struck me as a poor writer, but I haven't read those since Junior High.

Well...Sanderson had another new series I started...let me see... "The Way of Kings" - Book one of the Stormlight Archive. Only book available as far as I know, so far...

Also, "The Black Prism" was another first in a new series by Brent Weeks (Night Angel author, apparently). Interesting magic based on colours and light.

I read a series called "The Black Company" by Glen Cook - was on vacation so bought the whole series at once based on the cover illustrations (lol). Sounded a bit darker, based on a company of mercenaries who end up working for the "bad guys" and have to battle against magic, etc. At first, the writing and lack of detail DROVE ME CRAZY. Eventually (it took a while, I admit), I got used to the relatively uneducated mercenary narrator and finished all of them. They weren't bad.

Already read the black prism. I found it okay, there were a couple twists that caught me off guard, overall an okay book.

I will look into "The Black Company." As well as "The Way of Kings."

I never read anything Tolkien, I will probably get them for my kindle before a deployment, but I am interested in others right now.
The splinter cell series isn't bad (agreeing).


Pistol, thank you very much. I have been recommended many of those before, but I can only read so much at one time. As soon as I am done with "The Wheel of Time" I plan to go to "The Sword of Truth" and on from there.
Lol, maybe this should be in the hobbies section.


EDIT: Also pistol, I am sure you will be happy to know I just got an E-mail to pre order the next in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, though I haven't started the series yet. The next book is on its way I suppose.

This post has been edited by shadow_772: 26 June 2011 - 11:16 PM

0

#13 User is offline   Legato 

  • AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Posts: 8,771
  • Joined: 02-February 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Milford, Massachusetts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

I generally only read Manga nowadays or Vampire Hunter D novels...but for books

Motley Crue's: The Dirt. Should not be read by those under 18, but if you are over. HOLY CRAP. Every page is another memory of debauchery and just hilarity. The book has the best opening line ever to start the novel. LMAO I still laugh hard thinking about it.

Bruce Campbell's If Chins Could Kill (his auto biography) or his second book, Make Love. Both are filled with humorous takes on the industry and if you ever wanted to make your own horror film the Chins book gives tons of good advice.

LOVE the Vampire Hunter D novels that the movies are all based off. I am like 3 or 4 books behind now. But great writing

Used to read Sherlock Holmes all the time. Loved those books

I'll have to go to my bookshelf in the morning and find some more that i loved.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT
0

#14 User is offline   Silent-7 

  • Christian Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,088
  • Joined: 03-June 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Highlands Ranch, CO
  • Brigade Name:Silent-7

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:31 PM

In addition to the below, The Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker is absolutely amazing! I read all three books in a-day-and-a-half and was thoroughly frustrated when there wasn't any more to read...


View Postshadow_772, on 26 June 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

Enders Game

View PostPuzuma, on 26 June 2011 - 06:17 PM, said:

Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit

View PostIrishMack, on 26 June 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

Chronicles of narnia

Yes, yes, and yes!

Ender's Game blew my mind! Granted, I was a bit younger when I read it. I have since read Speaker for the Dead and others as well, and found them to be excellent reads also.

And of course, Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia are classics...
If you haven't read any of those books, I would strongly recommend doing so! The LOTR movies are great, but only because they had such phenomenal material to begin with. The Narnia movies are alright, but certainly don't do the books justice! But again, I was younger when I read those. Still, some of the later books are a bit less young-reader-oriented than The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Regardless, all eleven books (Narnia, LOTR, and The Hobbit) have tremendous depth to them, suitable for any reader if you ask me!
Posted Image
0

#15 User is offline   shadow_772 

  • Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,272
  • Joined: 05-September 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:MA
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

Like I said in the first post, I have yet to find a series to rival the Night Angel Trilogy. VERY highly recommended from me. The writing style may not be from everyone, but check them out either way.
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users