#1 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

http://www.empirepai...pring-camporee/

PRESS RELEASE

KEE Action Sports brings paintball to Scouting at the 2011 Razorback District Spring Collegiate Sports Camporee

Sewell, NJ, April 4th, 2011 KEE Action Sports LLC. KEE Action Sports is pleased to announce that it’s continuing its partnership with the Boy Scouts of America, this time at the 2011 Razorback District Spring Collegiate Sports Camporee, April 15th-17th at Lake Sequoyah in Fayetteville, AR

Hundreds of scouts will converge on this year’s Spring Camporee. There will be various sports set up throughout the camporee, where the boys can participate and even compete against one another. Patrols will compete for the Scouting Collegiate Cup to be awarded during the closing campfire!

KEE Action Sports will be in attendance promoting the Free Rookie Pass program. The program helps introduce players of all ages to the sport of paintball. KEE will set up a tent to help educate scouts, leaders, and their parents about the rules of paintball games, equipment necessary to play, plus provide them with facts about the safety of the sport. KEE will be setting up a shooting booth for Scouts to participate in hourly contests. Each Scout will have an opportunity to race against a clock while testing their shooting shooting skills. Those with the fastest times during the day will receive exciting paintball prizes. Coupons to play free paintball at fields nationwide will be given out to anyone who stops by the tent. For the parents and scout leaders, KEE will also be handing out free copies of A Parent’s Guide to Paintball, which is the quintessential book to everything paintball.

“We reached out to the team at Empire Paintball when we heard of their professional presentations at the Scout Quest 100, Jamboree, and Campaganza events in 2010. Based on the theme of our event, their solid reputation in educating the scouts, and the popularity of the sport of paintball, we knew we had to get them here for our event. We are extremely excited to have them onboard.” said, Michael Foltz, Chairman of the Razorback Camporee.

According to Jason A. Taitano, VP of Marketing at KEE, “This is another great opportunity for us to partner with Boy Scouts of America and is a perfect fit for our Free Rookie Pass program. We’ll continue to educate potential new players and their parents about the basics of the sport and what makes the sport so much fun and exciting.”

#2 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:27 AM

That's pretty sweet!

#3 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:39 PM

Might help against the "wiper" epidemic. "I swear on Boy Scouts honor not to wipe."
Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#4 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:01 AM

wow, i remember when i was a scout we tried sooooo hard to get a paintball outing for our troop. at the time it was a definite No-Go. Too dangerous they said. It's good to see the public start to recognise paintball as a safe sport.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#5 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

I thought it was just last year or so Boy Scouts of America announced that paintball had been added to it's list of prohibited activities, and now this. Not that this doesn't thrill me, but seems like they need to make up their minds. We had our local troop down to the field a little while before I heard bout the prohibited activity thing and they had a great time, and so did their leaders/parents. I love that the scouting leadership is getting more proactive on promoting the sport and not just tolerating it.

Bear

This post has been edited by The Bear: 20 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:14 PM

I don't think they're playing games, I think they're just shooting targets and stuff.

I used to be in Boy Scouts (Got to Life, missed Eagle by my project getting screwed over by the church I was supposed to help). My Dad is still on the committee for my old Troop, and I still help out every now and then. Honestly, most of those kids don't NEED to be on paintball field. Boy Scouts has kinda turned in to the hangout for socially awkward or overly hyper (at least around here). There are a few kids still around that are actually normal kids that would be fine on the field, but I'd be very weary about taking a whole troop out there.

The loop hole has always been 'We're going paintballing, we just happen to know each other through Boy Scouts.' Our troop went a few times (because a lot of us played anyway, and those that didn't got interested in it from us). We invited kids from other troops, went out, had an awesome time, brought in some new players (and a few of the kids switched to our troop). Then one of the other butthurt troops called the Council office and our troop got a visit from some uptight Council level rules lawyer that came to talk to my Dad (Scoutmaster at the time) about it. My Dad was like 'Where on here does it say we were on a 'Boy Scout Activity'? We just all happened to be at the field (we went on an open day for a reason ;)) at the same time.'

They should worry more about the Pedophiles and less about .68 caliber spheres of paint.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#7 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

When the local troop came in I think they kinda went with the "we're just all here at the same time by coincidence" thing as well, no uniforms, no carpooling. And sorry to hear about your Eagle situation Pirate, believe me I know exactly how you feel except the screwing over was more from the troop administration in my situation. :( At least paintball has it's foot in the door with the scouts, and maybe as the education on gameplay and safety gets out there to the scouts, leaders, and parents there might be a push to go beyond just shooting targets.

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   scurvy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:SCURVY

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:58 PM

Paintball and the Boy Scouts together is always a possibility at the council level, but you aren't going to see individual troops doing it until National Council comes up with a training and cert program for Scouts to do it themselves. The problem has always been liability. Somebody gets hurt and goes to the hospital, then they sue the deep pockets. That means the council and the charter organization (the church or AmLegion or Rotary or whoever), but it also means the individual leaders and any adult in sight. That's why liability insurance is so important. It is what allows Boy Scouts to do what we call "High Adventure" and even basic camping. Every registered adult has that insurance to fall back on, and so do all the organizations involved - through the Boy Scouts of America. You even have additional coverage if you are driving Scouts to an event. This is why National Council spends so much time developing the training and safety programs, and so much time enforcing them. I remember all the times we drove hundreds of miles to go whitewater rafting, a much more dangerous activity. But we did it with weeks of prep work, good equipment, Safety Afloat training, a tour plan, a float plan, swim tests and a few BSA trained lifeguards. This is what we call compliance with national standards.

The problem with paintball and the BSA is there are no national standards for paintball fields. There is a world of difference between your average outlaw game and an established field, but there is no way for the BSA to tell troops how to pick a field. The perfect place to offer paintball would be summer camp. The problem is, right now it just doesn't add anything to the program because there are no achievements. If you want to see paintball, lobby for it to be tried out at high adventure bases and summer camps. That is how we got COPE programs.

The other problem has always been the Boy Scouts love firearms. The NRA has taken care of us for a long time. The Boy Scouts have decided that guns and paintball usually don't mix. It would look bad for the Boy Scouts to qualify a new Scout as an NRA marksman under range safety rules, and then try to explain how half the safety rules are different in paintball. You can go any weekend to paintball fields and not be a Boy Scout. But who else lets you shoot black powder, .22s and shotguns on the same day?

The nice thing about scouting is that the older you get, the more they let you do. In Venturing, you get to shoot pistols. Why not paintball? A far as I can tell, anything short of "large-bore" artillery might be O.K.

Remember when you play paintball with your troop "as friends", the adults aren't protected anymore because they previously agreed to follow the BSA rules. You either follow the rules, or lose the protection. Liability. Always about liability.
AMAT VICTORIA CURAM

#9 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:02 AM

wow, point to Scurvy. Putting real firearms and paintball in the same mix does seem like a bad idea, but at the same time some serious range rules are always in effect with the real weapons. I mean, when i was a scout i used to shoot nerf darts, laser tag, paintball, you name it and never got confused with a real weapon. The adults in my troop always emphasized safety on the range.

"But who else lets you shoot black powder, .22s and shotguns on the same day? " Lol- I loved Boy Scouts. But don't forget the Knife and Tomahawk throwing. We are just a backflip away from being Spetsnaz

http://blog.dembro.o...to-spetsnaz.jpg

This post has been edited by Eagle Eye: 01 May 2011 - 02:05 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#10 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

I mean, I can go shoot Black Powers, .22s, and shotguns... plus 9mm, .45, 5.56, 7.62... all whenever I want :P
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users