Special Ops Paintball: My X7 Phenom Scar - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My X7 Phenom Scar Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Yes, No, Maybe so (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Do u like it?

1. Oh my god yes (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Yes (7 votes [63.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

3. So So (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. nahhh (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

View PostPrivate Silver, on 16 April 2011 - 10:08 PM, said:

Btw, back off topic, Homefront has both versions of the SCAR, so you might wanna check that out Ship.

On topic, like the look, not sure bout the grip, but overall look is nice.

Oh God video games! Don't get me started on video games! I could rant for HOURS about video games... and I will!

On the one hand, I appreciate that Homefront has both versions (would be nice if they had all 3 versions of each caliber), but from what I've seen of it (My roommate got it) it seems like just another cookie cutter shooter game with a different theme slapped on it. Allow me to elaborate:
All of the new war games coming out seem so lame, totally controlled uninmaginative gameplay that allows the player almost if actually no controll over how they want to play the game.

Worst exampls Modern Warfare 2. Every map was almost exactly the same, each had a different theme (snowy woods, desert terrain, urban, etc.) but really every single map was just point A point B a totally pre-determined path from A to B which you're not allowed or able to deviate from, and constantly random spawning bad guys that don't stop until you get to point B. So every single level you just run your ass off to point B shooting everything that moves. You have no controll of your equipage, there's not tact to it whatsoever, even the supposed "stealth" segment of some missions have nothing to do with you deciding you want to be stealthy, the game tells YOU "you're going to be stealthy now, don't shoot anyone" There's no real objectives to obtain, even when the plot suggests there's an objective, you're only real objective is still just get to point B. You just watch a cutscene of a bomb being defused or something once you get to point B and that's the objective. Even the ORIGINAL shooter, Doom had better, more complex, in depth game play like 20 freakin years ago.

That was dissapointing. So then I get Bad Company 2 hoping it would be better. Turns out it is a LITTLE. Its still basically just point a to point b. But at least with BC2 there's a pre-set number of bad guys on each segment of map. And the a-b paths are a little bit wider. For example on the suburban level of ModWar2 you can't even get into the back yards of the houses, and you can only enter the living room of the houses, and are completely restricted to living rooms and the 1 street. While on similar segments in BC2 you can go all through the houses on all floors and there's back yards you can go through. Because of the slightly wider path and the limited bad guys it's actually possible to kinda half assedly flank some enmies on the street by going through back yards, then attack them from behind and wipe them out with little resistance. So you can use SOME tactics in BC2 SOME of the time, a LITTLE bit. Also if you get to a weapon crate you can pick what gun to use, which you can NEVER do in ModWar2, but even then you have no controll over attachments.

The last really good game that came out that I couldn't complain too much about was SOCOM Combined Assault back on PS2! Wide open maps, actuall in-game (rather than cutscene based) objectives to accomplish, totall controll over you weapons, totall controll over your weapon's attachments, totall controll of your equipment, totall controll over your team members' weapons, totall controll over your team members' weapons' attachments, totall controll of your team members' equipment, totall controll in-game of your team members! Every single mission you listen to a breifing that describes the parameters of the mission, then based on that decide exactly how you want to conduct the mission, then based on that decide on and equip exactly what you need to do it, then start the mission and do it YOUR WAY. In an open and realistic environment. Do I just want to storm enemy positions and tear them up at close quarters? Equip a bunch of carbines with veticle foregrips and red dot sights to increase accuracy and speed and run up in there! Do I want to be stealthy? Equip a bunch of supresed carbines, hide in bushes observe enemy patrols, ACTUALLY sneak past enemy patrols (instead of just watching a cutscene of your character sneaking past enemy patrols, or a segement of "gameplay" where you only push two buttons that might as well BE a cutscene), sneak into the enemy hq or whatever stealthily eliminating only those necessary, secure the objective and egress without them ever realizing they've been hit! Do I really like mindless run and gun gameplay? Hell, you can do that too! Equip a bunch of machine guns and go for it! My personall favorite: Stealth with a backup plan! Post one guy on a hill above the objective with an unsupressed sniper riffle, place another on a cliff on the other side above the objective with a light machine gun, then take myself and partner with supressed carbines in to infiltrate. If all works out perfectly, mission accomplished. If something goes wrong, sniper... gunner... fire at will. Most bad guys in the area get distracted by the noisy sniper and gunner. Anyone taking cover from the gunner is exposed to the sniper, anyone taking cover from the sniper is exposed to the gunner. And me/partner are free to either achieve the objective and egress with sniper/gunner bringin up the rear, or stick around and clean house while all the badguys are too busy dealing with the sniper/gunner above to defend themselves! It's so awesome. One mission, a million different ways to play it! And the player is in totall controll of what the player does, when the player does it, and how the player does it. Unlike all the new games out there where the GAME actually constantly tells the PLAYER what to do.

Hopefully when SOCOM 4 comes out it will be like the old ones. I'm kinda worried they're going to turn it into a god-aweful cookie cutter game like ModWar2 or BC2 (BC2's multiplayer for the record is way better than the campaign though, open maps, customizability, etc...).

Point of that rant though is: It's cool that Homefront has both versions of the SCAR BUT, is it a lame ass run and gun like pretty much every other game out there right now, or are we as players actually allowed to use our brains and/or free will in it?

On Topic:
I'm with Silver on that one. Weird grip, I'd prefer a vertical. If you got a mag kit, a stub nose barrel with an equally short hand gaurd, vert grip, and tac light. I'd call it a PERFECT gun.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:57 AM

Back off topic. Sorry everyone...

Red Dots! I have yet to EVER see a video game portray a red dot properly! As you guys probably know, you look through a red dot both eyes open focus on the background/target, the housing of the red dot goes out of focus and you can barely tell it's there. Leaving you with a full unobstructed field of view that appears to have an aimpoint reticle floating in the middle of it. It's the closes thing to actually having a heads up display haha! Advantages: faster easier aiming that iron sights, simulates laser sight without revealing position. Thats the part that video games usually get right.

The BIGGEST advantage, the ability to move at full speed easily WITHOUT losing ones aimpoint! Every new game I've played fails to protray this accurately! You're forced to move just as slow aiming with a red dot as you are with iron sights, and that's BS! The only game I've ever played that got that right? You guessed it! SOCOM, you move just as fast in that game aiming with a red dot as you do without aiming. They're the only ones who got it right, how all the other game makers epicly failed following that simple, accurate, example? I have no idea, but they should've figured it out by now.

But then again NO game at all has ever portrayed the appearance right. Because we have binocular vision, when looking through a red dot sight, the parts of your right eyes field of view that are blocked by the housing, are still covered by your left eye. And vice versa, so the two images togethr make up for the small parts that are blocked in each individual image and what it appears to you that you can look right through that sight's housing. As long as you keep focused on the background and don't focus both your eyes on the housing it's self. Granted a tv can't exactly replicate that (well the new 3d tvs might be able to, but that's neither here nor there.) But that doesn't matter because it doesn't need too! Even though with binocular vision we see two different images, in the end our brain combines them both into 1! So it looks to us like one image. So our tv's that only produce one image can exactly mimic our PERCEPTION of our binocular vision. All they have to do, is not zoom in when sighting through the red dot sight, make the housing go blury and easily see through, and leave the red dot sharp and clearly visible. Then the video game portrayal of a red dot sight would look and work just like the real deal!

All games so far have f'd it up though. Zooming in when looking through the sight, and leaving it fully saturated, so in a game when you sight through you loose a huge chunk of the already super limited tv screen sized field of view! Major BUmmer! Even SOCOM messed that up! The only game I've palyed which has come close to doing the appearance/field of view right has been Hitman Blood money. Where the sight housing was still in focus and blocked alot of the field of view, but you would still see around the edges of the housing too, so you could see things happening in the corners/edges of the screen outside the sight. Almost but no cigar. Ironically this Hitman game, where you're supposed to stealthily and mysteriously assassinate targets with no collateral damage, the one semi-shooter game where big guns are the least usefull as the only blow your cover and make it harder to get a good score... Is the ONLY game where guns are fully customizable! You can change out stocks, barrels, access multiple ammo types, and put ANY number of attachemts on at one time as will PHYSICALLY fit on the gun! And you never really use guns that much! Meanwhile all these other games, SOCOM, BC2, ModWar2, MOH, etc.,etc. where guns are the single most important thing in the game... have extremely limited customization! Only two attachments? WTF????

Game makers are epic failing left and right. Seriously though Hitman = guns not that important = totally customizable!
All war games = guns ALL important = super limited cuszomization! Who is in charge here? Kick that guy in the junk please.

If only we could get one game that had a good plot, realistic in game objectives, open area maps, intelligent tactical dynamic gameplay, allowed players to controll their own equipment and team, allowed full speed motion while sighting through a red dot, didn't limit or block field of view while sighting through red dot, and allowed full weapon customization... we'd have the PERFECT GAME. Unfortunately at the current rate, I don't see that happening in this decade... Unless EA or someone hires me and gives me full creative controll. And a budget big enough to hire a good plot writer and bring in some combat experienced consultants. But I don't see that happening in this lifetime...
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Nico898 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

i might buy a vertical grip, or some folding grip, thanks on ur opinoin guys

#19 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

BS Keep that grip. it looks SICK. plus I bet its comfy.

of you get a folding grip chances are you will play with it in the folded postion. ie same as you have now.
If you get a vertical grip chances are it will feel awkward when you have to get low to to ground.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 17 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

#20 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

View PostNico898, on 17 April 2011 - 06:39 AM, said:

i might buy a vertical grip, or some folding grip, thanks on ur opinoin guys

View PostEskimo, on 17 April 2011 - 05:57 PM, said:

BS Keep that grip. it looks SICK. plus I bet its comfy.

of you get a folding grip chances are you will play with it in the folded postion. ie same as you have now.
If you get a vertical grip chances are it will feel awkward when you have to get low to to ground.

You only really need a straight verticle forgrip if you're running a tac light on the side with no remote switch. Let's you get your thumb up on the side to push the light on.

As far as the folding grip, again vert component only necessary in the case I mentioned above. But you won't necessarily play with it only in the folded position, unless that's the way you prefer it. If you like the vert position better chances are you will play with it vert. But again only necessary for that tac light, or if you're more comfortable playing with vert grip.

The vert grip won't effect your prone position unless you happen to have an aversion to vert grip in the first place. In which case it will feel awkward prone or not.

Anyway, the grip is a secondary issue. I only mentioned it because silver brought it up and it does seem weird to me.

The main thing is, CHOP THAT BARREL! Way too long for manuverability and doesn't give any advantage in range either, so useless except for "looks cool" factor. I don't know about you, but if I got tagged out because my gun wasn't manuverable enough I wouldn't be walking off the field saying, "Well it's a good thing my gun looked cool when I got tagged out..."

Just IMO...
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#21 User is offline   Caissey 

• Mmm Tasteeos Rock
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Tasteeos

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

The image is gone. Repost image and I'll vote.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users