• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help with choosing a new gun. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Omega_Assassin 

• Omega425
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

Alright so heres the deal. I went paintballing last year prolly 5 or 6 times and wanna get into it more. I bought a VL triton 2 from a buddy so i had my own marker and would like to upgrade to something better. I plan on playing this summer with the triton (just to make sure i'll play enough to justify a new marker), but i want to research the possibilities of my new marker. I've mainly been looking at the Tippmann A-5, but wanted to get some other ideas to look into (im only really familiar with what Tippmann makes). I want to pay about $200 but would am willing to go up to $250.

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

if you are looking into an A5,you might want to look into a GOG G-1, it's the old SP1.
GOG G-1 LINK

This post has been edited by sousey: 21 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

#3 User is offline   Weigel21 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

View PostOmega_Assassin, on 21 February 2011 - 07:23 PM, said:

Alright so heres the deal. I went paintballing last year prolly 5 or 6 times and wanna get into it more. I bought a VL triton 2 from a buddy so i had my own marker and would like to upgrade to something better. I plan on playing this summer with the triton (just to make sure i'll play enough to justify a new marker), but i want to research the possibilities of my new marker. I've mainly been looking at the Tippmann A-5, but wanted to get some other ideas to look into (im only really familiar with what Tippmann makes). I want to pay about $200 but would am willing to go up to $250.

Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks in advance!

The G1 is the NEW SP-1, not the old SP-1. Smart Parts went out of business and reopened as GoG and continued making some of their old markers with minor updates. The G1 has a selectable left, right, or center feed feedneck, a 14" barrel, carbine stock, and a nice case. The old SP-1 sold for $175 or $179 st the end of it's run and the new G1 is $250. Oh, and the G1 has it's breech predrilled for eyes, which you'd get with the Blackheart board upgrade for an additional $65, which really brings the marker to life. The SP-1 or G1 are both better markers than any Tippmann (with perhaps the exception of the X7 Phenom) hands down.

#4 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

Right here is what I'd like to know:

What do you like about your current marker? looks? the stability? the angle of the hopper? simplicity? noise? its quirks? The marker you have isnt a god send by any means so I figure the list will be short. But If you can name 3 things you like about your set-up. would help.

What do you NOT like about the marker? the trigger pull? the weight? the way the hopper sits? the ASA the detents the over simplicity. same Reason I want to know where you stand on your marker.

Your field: Does your field offer C02 and HPA?
does your field offer free C02 or HPA fills?
Does your field use FPO, Or "Field paint only"
Is your field expensive?
What is your field? Woodsball, A field style? urban? indoor? whats the layout look like?
__________________________________________________-

Do you have a way to fund your paintball purchases?
Do You have a constant income to fuel your paintball out tings?
How old are you? ( an number actually helps with marker choice, some people complain about how some markers dont seem to fit them well and then we find out they are 13 years old, Well OF COURSE! your still growing!! an A-5 will feel like a ginormus waste of energy to run around with)

Do you play Recreational?
Do you play competitive?
Whats the competition at the field like? Are they mostly semi users? electro's?
_______________________________________________________-

Are you content with buying New, or used. or both.
I say this because you can get AWESOME markers used, especially electronic markers as the depreciated very quickly, so the 800$ face mower 3 years ago now runs 300$ used, likewise the 500$ markers are sitting round 250$

that is all, please answer. it gives me and the other members a much greater idea of what to suggest, and why we suggest it.

#5 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

As stated above, there are alot of questions you should ask before purchasing a marker. I love Tippmann's. My first heavily used marker was a 98c that I modded up into a sniper rifle. My second was my a5 that I had moded as a UMP. Even though I have sold my 98c and am about to sell my a5 (which I've already parted out all the UMP addons, so it's only a stock with an etrigger now) I would strongly suggest a tippmann to anyone. But there's one thing that would stop me. If I gave my 98 or a5 to anyone on our field who was just getting started, they would get destroyed. Our field allows full auto and ramping, so it puts them at a disadvantage. This is where I would start recommending looking at maybe a X7 Phenom, or even further into electro markers, which I don't know anything about. It all depends on how you play. I play clip fed now. I enjoy the tacticallity (I love that (not)word) and drastic difference in play that is required with clip fed markers. I don't mind getting pummeled a few games if I can get in a few good hits. It's all fun for me, and I don't have to be the best out there. But that's me.

To answer your bottom line question though: I say, go with the a5. Don't buy new, find one on this or other forums that are used. you'll usually get an upgrade or three with it, and will pay less than you would new. The a5 has so many possabilities on upgrades that you can always find a setup that'll fit your play style. Also, I've never been to a field that the people couldn't work on an a5 or help you fix it.

Don't trust everything I say though, research. If you go to a park this year and someone's playing with an a5 (which will be highly likely) ask them to let you shoot it... Most people won't hesitate, some'll even let you use it in a game or two.

This post has been edited by kaosukoden: 22 February 2011 - 08:44 AM

#6 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

For your price range, you'd probably be better off going with this:

http://www.ansgear.c...t4combaterc.htm

It's a BT-4 with E-grip (so you have firepower), Rip Clip (electronic loader system so you can use your firepower), and Apex Barrel (to increase your range) for $230.

It's basically the best deal on an almost total package that I've found lately. It's not the best looking setup, but it'll be extremely functional.

This is, of course, assuming that you already have the best mask you can get and some form of propellant (HPA or CO2 - Get HPA if you don't already have it).
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Omega_Assassin 

• Omega425
  • Pip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostEskimo, on 22 February 2011 - 12:21 AM, said:

Right here is what I'd like to know:

What do you like about your current marker? looks? the stability? the angle of the hopper? simplicity? noise? its quirks? The marker you have isnt a god send by any means so I figure the list will be short. But If you can name 3 things you like about your set-up. would help.

What do you NOT like about the marker? the trigger pull? the weight? the way the hopper sits? the ASA the detents the over simplicity. same Reason I want to know where you stand on your marker.

Your field: Does your field offer C02 and HPA?
does your field offer free C02 or HPA fills?
Does your field use FPO, Or "Field paint only"
Is your field expensive?
What is your field? Woodsball, A field style? urban? indoor? whats the layout look like?
__________________________________________________-

Do you have a way to fund your paintball purchases?
Do You have a constant income to fuel your paintball out tings?
How old are you? ( an number actually helps with marker choice, some people complain about how some markers dont seem to fit them well and then we find out they are 13 years old, Well OF COURSE! your still growing!! an A-5 will feel like a ginormus waste of energy to run around with)

Do you play Recreational?
Do you play competitive?
Whats the competition at the field like? Are they mostly semi users? electro's?
_______________________________________________________-

Are you content with buying New, or used. or both.
I say this because you can get AWESOME markers used, especially electronic markers as the depreciated very quickly, so the 800$ face mower 3 years ago now runs 300$ used, likewise the 500$ markers are sitting round 250$

that is all, please answer. it gives me and the other members a much greater idea of what to suggest, and why we suggest it.

Likes: Fairly easy to field strip,little bit long to do it but easy. The balance of the marker is pretty good. Light weight (to me). Trigger pull isn't too bad.

Dislikes: Color (bright blue body, silver barrel). Hate the vertical feed hopper. Seems kind of loud. Haven't tried to, but the grip looks like it would a pain to get off.

Field Info

Both fields I play at offer CO2 and one of them offers HPA. I have to check but a guy I know might have an HPA compressor.
The one that offers both is $10 all day air (I think, only been there once but plan on going there more). The other varies. I've been there when there's not a lot of people and they will throw in all day air with the field fee. If theres a lot of people hey have charged for individual fills.
Both fields have paint for sale, but also let you BYOP.
Both fields have good pricing, $10 (field with HPA) and $15 (field that sometimes throws in all day air with field fee).

The one field at is called Hidden Hollow's (www.hiddenhollowpaintball.com The site is little more than a hand drwn map but it gives you an idea of the setup.) is pretty much all woods with a tower here and there and some bunkers made from fallen trees (Its actually a tree farm and paintball is just kind of a side thing).
The other field is called Landing Zone (www.landingzonepaintball.com, pictures at their home teams site www.spectrehq.org). It is a woodsball/scenario field. They have lots of different areas to play since its on 40 acres. The one area, Normandy, is a big sand hill with bunkers at the top. At the bottom there is a ditch. About half the length of the flat below the hill is covered fairly thickly in pines. The only other area that I have played on there is Castle. It's a castle-like structure (3 towers in a L shape with bridges between them and a ladder that leads up the corner tower) situated on top of a small hill. The hill is on the corner of the field so attackers can only really attack from 2 sides. The one side is border by a lot of trees (pines with some deciduous mixed in) and the other side is a path up the hill with small bunkers scattered around on it.

Funding and Misc.

As far as funds I do have a steady job working construction for my cousin so he's really flexible about my college schedule. We pretty much always have work. Like I said I am attending college so funding has to be kind of balanced between school and paintball, but I'm thinking about making a paintball specific fund that I put so much money in each pay check or something. Basically money is no problem, but I would prefer not to spend more than $200 on the initial setup and then upgrade in time.

To give you an idea about my physical shape I'm 6 ft and weigh about 170. I'm in pretty decent shape after playing HS sports for all 3 seasons, so hauling around a gun that is a little on the heavy end shouldn't be a problem. Oh and I'm 18.

I play recreational, but am not against the idea of getting into it competitively in a few years or so. Competition at the fields is pretty balanced between semi's and electro's. I figure I'll probably get a semi unless I can find an electro for a good price.

I don't really care if I get a new or used marker. If I do get used it would definitely have to be in pretty good shape. I want something that I would be able to take the field as soon as I get it with minimal work.

That pretty much answers all you questions. Let me know if I didn't answer something or I was unclear on something.

Thanks for the quick responses to everyone too.

#8 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Go with a TM-Series or the G-1. A blowback will always be a blowback. Getting an electro will do you much more good in the long run.
2 Samuel 22

#9 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

Though he says that he doesn't get HPA at both fields and it seems wild to me they charge you PER FILL of HPA :S The TM7 and TM15 and really most electronics (if not all) require HPA.

#10 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

If you are willing to go HPA, look into an electro. The TMs are probably your best bet with the offset feed preference, but new are outside the budget. You might find one used though. I don't know if/what anything has changed about the new G1 from GoG (formerly SP). The SP1 (which the G1 is based on and basically is an improved version of) was pretty reasonable, so I'd expect the G1 to do well too. The G1 is closer to your price range.

If HPA isn't a reliable option, look into an automag. Yes, you'll need to find used, but they are the best mechanical markers you can find in your price range. Very light, consistent over the chrono (and consistency will play one of the largest factors in accuracy), and fast for a mechanical.

Really, the majority of markers have a center feed, so specifically avoiding that significantly limits your options. Still plenty of good stuff out there, but not nearly as much.

The number one thing you must buy is the best mask you can afford, period. Don't skimp on this. Better a blowback with great vision than a new TM15 and you cannot see anything with the cheap mask on.
Member of Team Akkadian

#11 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Though I believe Automags with an X Valve (perhaps other valves too?) can't use CO2 - the Xvalve for sure recharges so quick the CO2 doesn't have time to become a gas and it tears up the orings.

#12 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 23 February 2011 - 06:42 PM, said:

Though I believe Automags with an X Valve (perhaps other valves too?) can't use CO2 - the Xvalve for sure recharges so quick the CO2 doesn't have time to become a gas and it tears up the orings.

Correct - X-valve mags cannot use CO2.

All the other automags can, and I'd really be surprised to find an x-valve that was not centerfeed or warp feed (which the OP said he wants the offset feed)
Member of Team Akkadian

#13 User is offline   Invictusone 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 23 February 2011 - 06:53 PM, said:

Though he says that he doesn't get HPA at both fields and it seems wild to me they charge you PER FILL of HPA :S The TM7 and TM15 and really most electronics (if not all) require HPA.

Try 8 bucks per 4500 fill of HPA...

OP: I agree, Try a mag, if you are trying to stay under 200.
Otherwise, look for a lower end electro or used mid range electro.
HPA is a must for Electros, which will drive up the price significantly, and will be tough to keep your bill under 200, unless you do some major research.
I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491

#14 User is offline   TH3 JOK3R 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:TH3 JOK3R

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

The A5 is a great gun. It was my first woodsball marker and I still use it aside from my X7 Phenom.

#15 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:48 AM

Buy a great mask first - like Thalion wrote, "Better a blowback with great vision than a new TM15 and you cannot see anything with the cheap mask on." In other words, spend the money on a quality mask... then worry about your marker. Best thing to do is try them on at a local store if that is possible, otherwise ask other players to try theirs on at the local field (do it at the start of the day before you get your sweat all over their mask ;)). After the mask, finding a used classic valved Automag w/ a powerfeed body & decent barrel for under $100 is really easy. You can run a classic on CO2 ($15-20) & upgrade to HPA later if you choose. Add a few bucks for a basic gravity feed hopper or spend up to $20 for a used basic agitated.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users