• +

Pinokio vs. Rotor vs. Prophecy I know, I know... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

It's been posted all over but I trust most of the users on here for their honest opinions (especially the ones that type properly).

I just got a bunch of spending money for Christmas for our family vacation (weird thing - Hawaii at Christmas!) ... but I've been there a few times and so am not interested in the touristy crap, just surfing and snorkeling and chilling out.

I got an email from a Canadian paintball site about their boxing day sale, and both the Prophecy and Rotor will be going on sale for some unknown price... $130 for Prophecy atm, and $190 for the Rotor... (free shipping over $150 and only about $10 for shipping otherwise) unless I can find something better, I can get the Pinokio from the States for $130 (plus $30 shipping).

I am looking at getting a hopper for my Tac One - see, I sold the 98c my girlfriend used the last time I got her to play and I haven't had a chance to test the Qloader I have with the Tac One at the moment... somehow, I think it will be a little iffy having her use that (she could drop/break pods, she has to reload after 100 rounds - and let's face it, ladies like shooting paint. Lots.). My 'Mag will probably be firing at about 25 bps (based on the input pressure - 1200 psi).

Price is a big factor, obviously, as I will also be needing a proper feedneck (I have heard good things about the RPG feedneck) and an ASA (recommendations for something cheap?).

Please post based on your personal experience more than what you've heard :P

#2 User is offline   THUNDR 

• Heavy Metal
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Koos

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:00 AM

Rotor is overpriced and overrated in my opinion. I've got a friend who's got a prophecy and loves it. My vote goes for pinokio because the thing will work. All. The. Freaking. Time. I've used mine in the rain, snow, hot and humid, and it runs flawlessly. It's also really battery efficient, you'll hardly ever have to change them. It's simple, it doesn't jam, there's nothing to adjust, and it feeds FAST. You can also find a better deal than 130 + 30 shipping, do a little looking around.

I've got a CCM feedneck on my Tac and put a CP on/off direct mount ASA on it for about 30 bucks. Without the on/off is cheaper, but it's convenient.

I'm curious as to why your basing your BPS off of your input pressure? How is that going to determine your rate of fire? I'm assuming you have an Intelliframe and even if you "response" fire it, I don't see how you're going to get 25 BPS, and even more unlikely that you'll be doing that consistently in a firefight. And that depends more on whether or not you're using a ULT trigger than your pressure, at least as far as I know...

This post has been edited by THUNDR: 23 December 2010 - 03:01 AM

View PostMarine Scout Sniper, on 24 November 2008 - 06:47 PM, said:

I just try to fulfill what the military conciders when they look for a sniper. ...their major concern is over all accuracy, physical stamina, patience, ability to acquire top secret clearance, and prior experience in paintball and/or hunting...

Gearbag Sale

#3 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:58 AM

I have broken two Pinokio's. Shell fractures at the feed neck and falls off the gun. Played with it less than a season prior to selling it. My wife and daughter still have their Pinokio's, but play far less than I do.
To their credit Pinokio has replaced shells. But I grow tired of breaking hoppers, I seem to be really good at it.
Also the Pinikio was not near as fast as claimed....but then again what hopper lives upto their claims?
Having 400 shots...brilliant! having to use two pods to refill and still see daylight in the hopper...ug! The pinokio makes shooting alot of paint at an event very easy. Cover fire? SURE!

As for the Proph....well it is a fine hopper with plenty of options and if you run it with the RF module it is just as fast as your gun. But I have seen some durability issues both with the feed neck (yeah I know buy the metal one.yadayadayada) and with the wiring. And quite honestly I want simple. Progaming the Proph means I would need to keep the manual with me and I would forget this or that And be frustraighted.
It is plenty fast And looks very nice.

I have had a Rotor now for quite a while. Yes, they are a bit over rated....just like most DYE gear, but this one just simply works.
They have the same single button operation as the Pinikio making it simple to operate. Having the ability to adjust the mechanical feed tension is a plus IMO. The modular design makes cleaning, troubleshooting and repair easy.

The few things that will keep me with the Rotor.
  • Cleaning....the damn thing can be field stripped and cleaned out during a firefight! Been there and done that!
  • Battery life...3 "AA"=50,000 shots. 'nough said.
  • Durablity...Yes, I have watched my Rotor bounce down the stairs in my house. Scared the crap out of me at the time, not so much anymore.
  • Smaller profile

I bought mine used, and the previous owner did a few questionable things to increase the feed rate. Not sure why he needed it that high but whatever. Due to his "adjustments" I had a drive part slip out of place and thought I needed to replace the motor. DYE customer service listened to my explaination of the problem and pointed me to the problem and how to fix it....without buying any parts.
That was even after I explained my hopper is well used and second hand...That kinda stuff wins my heart everytime!
Hopper still works great after I got the setting back to factory possitions and if I need to ever replace another broken hopper for my wife she will get a Rotor as well.

As for playing in the rain...mud...snow. I have seen all three do this. Hoppers are pretty reliable in this area since they are all sealed prttey good against that. But the Rotor is the only one I know of that will continue working after a full submersion and a fridgid mountain stream.

#4 User is offline   mike7822 

• Aloha!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MIKE7822

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:21 PM

I have a prophecy and love it. Huge mouth so you will barely miss any balls while reloading. You can get different nose cones for it (180,240, and 300ish I think) and you can change them out very easily. You can still field strip the prophecy very quickly. I can take off the nose and get wipe paint that broke from the inside very quickly. I do like the rip drive too. I've used it on multiple occasions.

I have used a rotor but it has always been too small for my taste. With the extended cover, it is always too big for me. I just don't like the size of the rotor. The pinokio has always been too big for me. Even without the huge nosecone it was just too big. I play snake so I need something that isn't that big. The pinokio sits very high on every gun I've seen it on.
03 Prostock Pump ♦ 08 Ego

#5 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

I like the prophecy, when my Halo dies thats what im getting next, it has virtually the same profile as the Rotor, it has a louder mouth, the nose cones comes off and you can clean everything. it feeds great. plenty of options to work with different paints. and it costs 50$ less.
Its just as durable as the rotor, and if you get the metal feedneck its geniousely strong.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 23 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

#6 User is offline   mike7822 

• Aloha!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MIKE7822

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

View PostEskimo, on 23 December 2010 - 06:01 PM, said:

I like the prophecy, when my Halo dies thats what im getting next, it has virtually the same profile as the Rotor, it has a louder mouth, the nose cones comes off and you can clean everything. it feeds great. plenty of options to work with different paints. and it costs 50$ less.
Its just as durable as the rotor, and if you get the metal feedneck its geniousely strong.

I think the Metal Feedneck comes stock with the new phrophecys. Or if you see an empire tech at an event, they give out a lot of parts if something is broken.(I got a free metal one at ION because my plastic one snapped. My friends Prophecy wasn't working and the guy basically rebuilt his prophecy with new parts.)
03 Prostock Pump ♦ 08 Ego

#7 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

View PostTHUNDR, on 23 December 2010 - 03:00 AM, said:

Rotor is overpriced and overrated in my opinion. I've got a friend who's got a prophecy and loves it. My vote goes for pinokio because the thing will work. All. The. Freaking. Time. I've used mine in the rain, snow, hot and humid, and it runs flawlessly. It's also really battery efficient, you'll hardly ever have to change them. It's simple, it doesn't jam, there's nothing to adjust, and it feeds FAST. You can also find a better deal than 130 + 30 shipping, do a little looking around.

I've got a CCM feedneck on my Tac and put a CP on/off direct mount ASA on it for about 30 bucks. Without the on/off is cheaper, but it's convenient.

I'm curious as to why your basing your BPS off of your input pressure? How is that going to determine your rate of fire? I'm assuming you have an Intelliframe and even if you "response" fire it, I don't see how you're going to get 25 BPS, and even more unlikely that you'll be doing that consistently in a firefight. And that depends more on whether or not you're using a ULT trigger than your pressure, at least as far as I know...

Purely from a youtube video I saw - player claimed* to be firing 25 bps while at 1200 psi with a similar 'Mag - I know, they aren't all the same, etc. but want to play it safe and make sure I get something that will keep up.

And yes, from what I see the LE V2.0 loaders do come with the metal feedneck...but not sure they are on sale, it may only be the first prophecy. From what I hear, feedneck breaks are one of the biggest problems with the Pinokio and Empire, vs. jams, etc. with the rotor.

I wanted to try to find a feedneck/ASA on the same site to dodge shipping - I'll have to see if anything appropriate is available!

Thanks for the help so far guys!

EDIT: Holy crap - realised their boxing day sale started Christmas day so went over to site... the V2 Prophecy was $80!!! And the Rotor is only $130! I grabbed the prophecy, a CP ASA (On/off) for $48 CAD (instead of $60), macro fittings, and the larger cone for the prophecy... all for $163. Wow.

Still need a feedneck, but waiting on an email reply from CCM's ebay store on if they will ship to Canada. I need their "No rise" if I don't want to shave the hopper, correct?

This post has been edited by cdrinkh20: 25 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

#8 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 24 December 2010 - 03:27 PM, said:

Actually the cool thing with the RT pin ( and of course a X or RT valve)is that the more pressure you put in, the faster, and the "bigger" or "larger" the sweet spot in the trigger play becomes. with 1200 PSI you will be able to find a sweet-spot fairly quickly, and with time, you can get into it pretty quick. Also, yea every mag is a wee tid bit different in terms of the CPS you will get with any givin valve input combo, but a general rule will always be, more pressure. faster Cycling. as for speeds, I got mine chrono'd at 17 BPS and I'm only running 900 PSI. so id say 20 - 25 BPS to be very vaible.

Purely from a youtube video I saw - player claimed* to be firing 25 bps while at 1200 psi with a similar 'Mag - I know, they aren't all the same, etc. but want to play it safe and make sure I get something that will keep up.

EDIT: Holy crap - realised their boxing day sale started Christmas day so went over to site... the V2 Prophecy was $80!!! And the Rotor is only $130! I grabbed the prophecy, a CP ASA (On/off) for $48 CAD (instead of $60), macro fittings, and the larger cone for the prophecy... all for $163. Wow.

Still need a feedneck, but waiting on an email reply from CCM's ebay store on if they will ship to Canada. I need their "No rise" if I don't want to shave the hopper, correct?

Correct, the stock Tack one/ ULE feedneck is a little small in diameter.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 25 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

#9 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

I was asking mostly due to the "no pro" size, etc. - I read that with that size (and perhaps another?) you'd have to shave down your hopper's neck to make it hold the hopper properly or something.

#10 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

View PostKrazy8, on 23 December 2010 - 11:58 AM, said:

I have broken two Pinokio's. Shell fractures at the feed neck and falls off the gun. Played with it less than a season prior to selling it. My wife and daughter still have their Pinokio's, but play far less than I do.
To their credit Pinokio has replaced shells. But I grow tired of breaking hoppers, I seem to be really good at it.
Also the Pinikio was not near as fast as claimed....but then again what hopper lives upto their claims?
Having 400 shots...brilliant! having to use two pods to refill and still see daylight in the hopper...ug! The pinokio makes shooting alot of paint at an event very easy. Cover fire? SURE!

As for the Proph....well it is a fine hopper with plenty of options and if you run it with the RF module it is just as fast as your gun. But I have seen some durability issues both with the feed neck (yeah I know buy the metal one.yadayadayada) and with the wiring. And quite honestly I want simple. Progaming the Proph means I would need to keep the manual with me and I would forget this or that And be frustraighted.
It is plenty fast And looks very nice.

I have had a Rotor now for quite a while. Yes, they are a bit over rated....just like most DYE gear, but this one just simply works.
They have the same single button operation as the Pinikio making it simple to operate. Having the ability to adjust the mechanical feed tension is a plus IMO. The modular design makes cleaning, troubleshooting and repair easy.

The few things that will keep me with the Rotor.
  • Cleaning....the damn thing can be field stripped and cleaned out during a firefight! Been there and done that!
  • Battery life...3 "AA"=50,000 shots. 'nough said.
  • Durablity...Yes, I have watched my Rotor bounce down the stairs in my house. Scared the crap out of me at the time, not so much anymore.
  • Smaller profile

I bought mine used, and the previous owner did a few questionable things to increase the feed rate. Not sure why he needed it that high but whatever. Due to his "adjustments" I had a drive part slip out of place and thought I needed to replace the motor. DYE customer service listened to my explaination of the problem and pointed me to the problem and how to fix it....without buying any parts.
That was even after I explained my hopper is well used and second hand...That kinda stuff wins my heart everytime!
Hopper still works great after I got the setting back to factory possitions and if I need to ever replace another broken hopper for my wife she will get a Rotor as well.

As for playing in the rain...mud...snow. I have seen all three do this. Hoppers are pretty reliable in this area since they are all sealed prttey good against that. But the Rotor is the only one I know of that will continue working after a full submersion and a fridgid mountain stream.

Jeeze man! what do you do in games that you have had that much happen to a hopper? lol. Its paintball not the matrix :P. Sounds like you have fun though!

Seing as you already bought the stuff, good luck with it and have fun!
2 Samuel 22

#11 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

Haha no kidding Krazy8 :P didn't think it'd be THAT easy to break any hopper off!

#12 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

Well you got a CRAZY good deal on the proph. I have my rotor and love it. Jams every now and then, and the anti-jam button doesn't even work, which is dumb. It is almost like it is "too" jammed for it to work. Otherwise, rotor is amazing. SUPER SIMPLE!!!! Easy to field strip, battery life is amazing. Reballs and it do not work well though.

Prophecy. Used it for a practice. I kept turning it off and was wondering why my gun wouldn't work. I didn't realize it while I was sliding, but it must have knicked something and off it goes.

I would like to one day get a prophecy too and test both, but I have other priorities.

Glad you got some good stuff cdrink! ;)

#13 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:30 AM

View Post5N1P3R, on 26 December 2010 - 04:37 PM, said:

Well you got a CRAZY good deal on the proph. I have my rotor and love it. Jams every now and then, and the anti-jam button doesn't even work, which is dumb. It is almost like it is "too" jammed for it to work. Otherwise, rotor is amazing. SUPER SIMPLE!!!! Easy to field strip, battery life is amazing. Reballs and it do not work well though.

Prophecy. Used it for a practice. I kept turning it off and was wondering why my gun wouldn't work. I didn't realize it while I was sliding, but it must have knicked something and off it goes.

I would like to one day get a prophecy too and test both, but I have other priorities.

Glad you got some good stuff cdrink! ;)

I KNOW eh? So glad I signed on for their newsletter though it's mostly crap for like $4 off every week...
I also emailed CCM's ebay store asking if they'd ship to Canada and just because I asked rather than ordered and hoped they said sure you can just pay the flat $3...rather than the $15 - $25 every other site wanted. Awesome.

#14 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 25 December 2010 - 10:07 PM, said:

Haha no kidding Krazy8 :P didn't think it'd be THAT easy to break any hopper off!

I am honestly not sure! I do not do many slides since they are not really needed in much in scenario ball. I don't often jump from the top of buildings and I avoid using my gun as a seat cusion at all costs!

I just seem to kill hoppers.

Lets see...in the last three years it was upto six dead. Two Fasta's, two Pinokio's and two Halo's. Prior to that I was killing Revi's and TSA's on a regular basis. Oh...and Ricochet, I think I killed four of those one year.

Then I bought the Rotor and it all stoped.

As for the Rotor jaming, after I adjusted the thing down to a less aggresive drive pressure I have not had one jam.
And the reversing fin on the Rotor, if yours is not reversing the drive mechanism enough to clear a jam you may have skipped a few threads in the mechanism. This is why mine eventually stoped working. The teeth on the reversing drive had changed possition from being pulled too hard and it put pressure on the motor kill switch.
I took the system apart, realigned the drive and reversing teeth and bam! The adjustment made the reversing fin spin far more that it ever had. Might be worht looking into 5N1P3R.

Congrats on the new stuff....enjoy!

#15 User is offline   5N1P3R 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:46 PM

Thanks krazy. I'll check that out.

So cdrink. Pictars???!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply