#31 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#32 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:53 AM

Haha I've been on and off working on my Phantom .45 wood grips... the Ebony ones are well on there way (shaped, have smaller than needed size screw holes...need sanding to curve and finish)... acrylic stabilised dyed maple not started yet.

Stupid exams.

#33 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

My wife's Phantom has matching wood grips...'tis loverly

Posted Image

And yes...I let the system resize pictures so folks can go and look at them in detail if they wish.

And yes...they are HOOGE!

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 07 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

#34 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

View PostPuzuma, on 07 December 2010 - 01:43 PM, said:

Posted Image

i long for the days of enjoyable cartoons....

Also, wood grips and a wood cocking handle may be the first cosmetic upgrades i make....

This post has been edited by Benaiah: 07 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

2 Samuel 22

#35 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

I was thinking about a handle too, but to get a small block of wood matching the one grip was $60 USD :P

I posted the images at the end of my other thread for what I picked - it was tricky because it is a Black/Green Acid Wash.

I may end up putting the dyed Maple Burl on my Mag ;) just cause it's solid black.

#36 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

Ben, i saw in the other thread you are from PA...Go to any major EMR game and you will find many pumpers. Either of the Castle events brings out droves of them. Pumpers Pandemonium is like a religious experience for a pumper. Everyone comes down, everyone shows off their wares and collection. I must attend a PP at least once in my life to complete it

View PostKrazy8, on 07 December 2010 - 01:27 PM, said:

I currently have a LB Piranha being placed into an old Blue Streak stock and trigger group...someday I will have it, and love it andstrokeandholditanditsnamewill be george.

And i demand pictures when this is complete. :D I love LBs. XD
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#37 User is offline   Stuffy 

• Selling to fund E30.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STUFFY

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:09 AM

View PostLegato, on 08 December 2010 - 02:00 AM, said:

Ben, i saw in the other thread you are from PA...Go to any major EMR game and you will find many pumpers. Either of the Castle events brings out droves of them. Pumpers Pandemonium is like a religious experience for a pumper. Everyone comes down, everyone shows off their wares and collection. I must attend a PP at least once in my life to complete it

Come this summer. We'll be glad to host you. :P

Real men shoot Sheridans.-Marauder_Pilot And the girls arez the devils.-Toki Wartooth

#38 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

Its like 3 hours from my house and 4+ from where i go to college...maybe next summer. I wont have my pump until then anyway. Im really excited about getting one now.
2 Samuel 22

#39 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

Would anyone recommend boring the barrel for freak inserts? a "frantom" barrel, as i have seen it called. Is the accuracy/efficiency worth the money?
2 Samuel 22

#40 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

View PostBenaiah, on 08 December 2010 - 05:21 PM, said:

Would anyone recommend boring the barrel for freak inserts? a "frantom" barrel, as i have seen it called. Is the accuracy/efficiency worth the money?

As Krazy8 told me, and will probably tell you: CCI makes wicked barrels - I agree, at this point. It's a .691, but of the 2 or 3 FPO balls I've used in mine, I've had ZERO issues - except some extremely small winter paint that was initially too small for the detent rings...until Mike sent me their 2 new, smaller ones.

It's so well designed that I would venture any benefit you do get is not how much you pay for 1) Freak Inserts and 2) the boring itself.

#41 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

View PostStuffy, on 08 December 2010 - 05:09 AM, said:

Come this summer. We'll be glad to host you. :P

I will if i can. Need to save up some cash for this. The wife wants to do something big in the fall, so i will have to try to stash money for this on the side. I wanted to go last year badly but cashflow was not there. I need to hit up a PP at least once in my life. Is a dream of mine

View PostBenaiah, on 08 December 2010 - 07:21 PM, said:

that is personal preference honestly. Buy a set of detent rings for $5 with your phantom, actually buy 2 sets, they are easy to lose when you take off the barrel. Try those at first and see how you like em. If you don't care for them, you are only out $10 and can then buy a frantom or have a barrel bored. Most people are happy enough with the stock barrel and detent rings...some like barrel kits...like everything in PB it all is personal prefernce and what you think works best for you
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#42 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

I all honesty I have yet to shoot a barrel on a Phantom that outperforms the stock one.

The detent rings work to keep the ball in the breech and the quality CCI put into their barrel does the rest.

The CCM carbon fiber kit I shot did nothing beyond making the Phantom even lighter. Matching the bore size to the paint kept it in the breech and it shot witht he same accuracy as the stock one...but at a $120 price tag.

The Frantom barrels I have used came with one extra that the Phantom did not already have. A box of sizing bores that you need to bring with you to the field.
Other than that it performed the same as stock. The sizers kept the ball in place and the as with the others the shot pattern and accuracy was nearly exact. ANd the added cost of the milling and Freak sizers...right about $100 Unless you get the Freak sizers from someone super cheap.

The one other thing I will add, Mike at CCI has been doing this consistantly longer than the rest of the competition. He uses the detent rings and barrel design because they work well and perform well. If there is a better performance or simpler way to do it...he will.

So all in all...no I do not think changing the barrel on the Phantom is worth the money. If you do not like the length...a Stock Phantom barrel cost is anywhere from $22 to $28. A far cry from the $173 to $238 of the Hammer Head 5 fin barrel kits!

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 09 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

#43 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

View PostKrazy8, on 09 December 2010 - 09:40 AM, said:

I all honesty I have yet to shoot a barrel on a Phantom that outperforms the stock one.

The detent rings work to keep the ball in the breech and the quality CCI put into their barrel does the rest.

The CCM carbon fiber kit I shot did nothing beyond making the Phantom even lighter. Matching the bore size to the paint kept it in the breech and it shot witht he same accuracy as the stock one...but at a $120 price tag.

The Frantom barrels I have used came with one extra that the Phantom did not already have. A box of sizing bores that you need to bring with you to the field.
Other than that it performed the same as stock. The sizers kept the ball in place and the as with the others the shot pattern and accuracy was nearly exact. ANd the added cost of the milling and Freak sizers...right about $100 Unless you get the Freak sizers from someone super cheap.

The one other thing I will add, Mike at CCI has been doing this consistantly longer than the rest of the competition. He uses the detent rings and barrel design because they work well and perform well. If there is a better performance or simpler way to do it...he will.

So all in all...no I do not think changing the barrel on the Phantom is worth the money. If you do not like the length...a Stock Phantom barrel cost is anywhere from $22 to $28. A far cry from the $173 to $238 of the Hammer Head 5 fin barrel kits!

Haha maybe I should just call him up and see if he can do an 18" barrel in AC threads for my Mag instead of calling Palmer :P it's over $143 to get a custom one like that :( lol not that I will go for it anytime soon...besides, wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to keep that barrel on just the phantom.

#44 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the input. with only around 12 shots in a tube, i figured they better be pretty accurate. But if the stock is great, ill keep it that way. Thanks!
2 Samuel 22

#45 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

We have asked...in order for him to cut other threads he would need to buy the die for his maching. The cost vs sales is not worth the effort for CCI.

So no AC threads

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users