• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Air Issue" with a Tippmann A5 Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   VD26 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:12 PM

I'm impatient. I'm skipping some tests. I opened it up, and found I did miss a detail. I have a bent guide pin...would that be causing any sort of fuss? I'm putting back the stock bolt assembly as well.

#17 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

A bent pin could certainly cause some binding while cycling. I don't know that it's the only problem but likely a contributing factor, I guess it depends on how bent it is. Straighten it out (or buy new), or replace it w/ a comparably sized nail then re-test.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#18 User is offline   VD26 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

OK,

So there's the bent pin I had mentioned. I bent it back to somewhat straight. Then, I found the tombstone latch spring was messed up. Not sure how, but that was all out of wack as well. I refitted it, so it should be good to go now. Since I do not have an ASA adapter on my HE trigger, I tried the quick disconnect nipple screwed into the tombstone of the marker, in which the knob on top of the ASA was "open." This apparently cut off the airflow to the marker. I screwed the knob "closed," which the gun successfully shot more than a dozen rounds without any sign of hicup...dry fire, that is. I have no paint. The bolt did not "sputter," as it appeared the marker was receiving a good flow of the CO2. I did another test, which I screwed the C02 tank directly into the tombstone. This was unsuccessful. The bolt sputtered just under 10 shots (air flow had ceased.) I then loosened the tank a bit, which provided additional shots, only to sputter again. I'm thinking perhaps the tank was still in "too tight?" I gave up on that, because I'd never have a tank housed in that fashion. I'm actually looking to ditch the remote line as well. The ProTeam Vertical Grip tank adapter caught my eye. Anyone familiar with it?

As for my cyclone - I see now that the blades do not rotate. They move about a 1/4 turn, then reset into the original position. No idea what the deal is. I opened it up, and it all seems to be in the right place (obviously, something isn't right.) I'm using the stock spring on the listed upgraded parts. Could this be the issue? I'm about to transition all the stock parts back into the cyclone.

As of now, I only kept the new bolt kit inside the marker. All the other marker internals are stock.

I'll keep sending the results as they come.

#19 User is online   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

Did you trim the stock spring for the vortex mod?

And again I would try another tank on the tombstone

#20 User is offline   VD26 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

Ah, the spring...forgot about the trim suggestion. I'll look into it. Thanks for the reminder.

#21 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 03 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

I thought about the cyclone a bit..and remebered a repair I made this last summer. An upgraded QEPH housing had a milled edge inside that did not allow the rod to travel far enough during the air cycle to engauge and move the paddles. It could be dome manually, but not by the air cycle.
The reapir was simply putting a stock housing back on...gun worked perfect.

If you need to help exhaust air from the housing faster I recomend a QEV. Something like they use in the EGO and on the ION. Seems to work the best from what I have seen in my limited exposure to the A5.

#22 User is offline   VD26 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

Cliff Hanger!!!

Hello, all. My apologies for my near 2 month absence. So here's what I did:

Got rid of all the new parts I put in, minus the Rufus bolt. Replaced the tombstone and got all the stock parts back in the cyclone. I did try trimming the spring first for the new cyclone parts - still acted up. Put all the old back in, eureka! There's the old saying "don't fix what ain't broke."

So in conclusion, I may have just had a jinxed batch of parts, but the A5 is back up and running. Unfortunately, this was a $100 case of trial and error.

Thanks for the support, guys. You'll be hearing from me again, for sure.

#23 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

I hate to say I told you so but... nah ;).

That's awesome that you got it up & running again! I'm glad you updated us, that way someone else looking for answers can see how you solved your problem. Also, don't eat the cost of the cyclone upgrades - sell them off, don't be surprised to find they likely work for someone else. Tippmann's are weird that way, lol.

This post has been edited by ger: 01 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users