• This topic is locked

Belt Fed Marker Idea

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

I was thinking about this concept for a good wile now. I have seen markers that look like light machine guns and I think we deserve something that can be more realistic and fun.

Take something like this,Posted Image and remake it to look like this Posted Image slap in the stuff needed to shoot the paint with the addition of the mechanics needed to feed the belt and your good to go. The belt can use both standard paint or first strike rounds and the belts can be hand loaded or done at a shop.

What are your opinions?
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:IIIce

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

Two words, Hell Yeah!. Now granted there are probably going to be a few skeptics, but you and I seem to be on the same wavelength and enjoy milsim. I have seen a get up a long time ago that was powered by a drill. I have no idea how it worked internally though. I can see it being difficult to make it both reg paint and FS compatible simply as the cost of a project like this could be retty high. Also how would the PBs be set up on the belt, could they just be slapped on the belt? What about barrel breaks, easy maintenance? There is a lot to consider.

That said I assume practicality is not the object here, it is a belt fed paint spitting bad ass, yes?

This post has been edited by Domi-Nate: 16 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

#3 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

Also I can't see your second picture, try editing and re-uploading.

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

View PostDomi-Nate, on 16 October 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

Two words, Hell Yeah!. Now granted there are probably going to be a few skeptics, but you and I seem to be on the same wavelength and enjoy milsim. I have seen a get up a long time ago that was powered by a drill. I have no idea how it worked internally though. I can see it being difficult to make it both reg paint and FS compatible simply as the cost of a project like this could be retty high. Also how would the PBs be set up on the belt, could they just be slapped on the belt? What about barrel breaks, easy maintenance? There is a lot to consider.

That said I assume practicality is not the object here, it is a belt fed paint spitting bad ass, yes?

I just see loading up the belt being a big PITA :P unless you bought pre-loaded ammo belts, which would be a fortune (and not allowed at FPO) :(

#5 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 16 October 2010 - 03:46 PM, said:

View PostDomi-Nate, on 16 October 2010 - 12:40 PM, said:

I just see loading up the belt being a big PITA :P unless you bought pre-loaded ammo belts, which would be a fortune (and not allowed at FPO) :(

Well thing is, I am sure especially with a little innovation, one can make a simple design that works. Whether the belts are pre-loaded or not, for this to work well I think it will/would be costly. Definitely too much so to mass produce. These are the kinds of "garage projects" to work on and better left to that I think. Plus the only place I could envision use would be in private games or scenario, then you have to worry about approval. That nerf gun is funny because some kid can just run around with a belt fed tripod machine gun. Now think about the weight factor on the Paintball version?....yeah....=/

Another question I forgot to pose is are you talking about a turret or a machine gun to run with. I can't see marketability for a turret, and a belt fed marker would seem cumbersome to most.

This post has been edited by Domi-Nate: 16 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

#6 User is offline   archanglmikel 

• He is like fire and ice and rage....
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:archanglmikel

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:40 PM

I've seen this idea tossed around a few times before, and the idea always dies from a lack of practicality. If it's the appearance of a heavy gun, several people have crammed ordinary makers into airsoft shells and achieved good results. The work was mostly cosmetic leaving the marker to work like normal. The high rate of fire a belt feed can give is mostly matched by a good hopper, if not surpassed. Add in the ability to reload and fire at the same time. Like it or hate it the hopper is better suited to the needs of this sport. As for a means to rapidly fire first strike rounds, HAVE YOU PRICED THOSE THINGS! Used conservatively to maximize their unique characteristics I can justify spending that for paint. I cannot imagine justifying firing close to 20.00 bucks a second. I would not presume to tell someone how to spend their money, but I can ask you to ask yourself the question, "Is it worth the cost?".

southeast brigade patches coming soon! Archanglmikel's feedback
Avatar made by my wife...please ask before you take...or she'll be forced to use her Freeze Ray.

#7 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

Yeah the cost is what seems to be the biggest issue. Like I said though I don't think practicality is his point here, heh. Not to mention if enough people buy into the FS, let me tell you guys, I was totally skeptical until I caved and bought a T8.1, they are PHENOMENAL! But if enough people buy into them, and they become more widely used price may go down, hopefully. That might be an optimistic oversight and against the law of supply and demand. But when you get a base for something, it won't be widely used in today's market without an "acceptable" average joe paintballer price.

#8 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:52 PM

You have piqued my interest. I run a SAW replica, which would in real life would fire belt linked ammo. This is something new and different that would really be a cool piece to have on the scenario field. Just in the time I read all the replies I've formed a couple cost-effective ideas (for the belt, not the marker). I'll think some more and if I think I have a possibly doable idea I'll repost and see what you think.

I think this would take a mostly-to-fully scratch built marker, I can't think of any that could be modified at the moment. But there are plenty of mag-fed markers and some of RAP4's use cased .43 cal paintballs and ejects the case, so why not just link the cases and find a way to feed it into the side of the marker?

Main problems I can see are creating a belt that can be fed and that breaks apart on ejection, and feeding reliably without breaking balls. You would need some sort of lateral ratchet to advance the belt, maybe adapt the cyclone feed technology?

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   GUNFU 

• EL Gunfu
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:I_KNW_GUNFU

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

View PostThe Bear, on 16 October 2010 - 07:52 PM, said:

You have piqued my interest. I run a SAW replica, which would in real life would fire belt linked ammo. This is something new and different that would really be a cool piece to have on the scenario field. Just in the time I read all the replies I've formed a couple cost-effective ideas (for the belt, not the marker). I'll think some more and if I think I have a possibly doable idea I'll repost and see what you think.

I think this would take a mostly-to-fully scratch built marker, I can't think of any that could be modified at the moment. But there are plenty of mag-fed markers and some of RAP4's use cased .43 cal paintballs and ejects the case, so why not just link the cases and find a way to feed it into the side of the marker?

Main problems I can see are creating a belt that can be fed and that breaks apart on ejection, and feeding reliably without breaking balls. You would need some sort of lateral ratchet to advance the belt, maybe adapt the cyclone feed technology?

Bear

Also weight and where are you going to carry all that brass in? It could get heavy. I've had friends play with those RAP4's and are more concerned about the casings. They are 14-17$ for 500 casings and thats without paint. I'm pretty sure they only make casings for 40 to 43 cal. Last I checked 43 cal paint ain't cheap. But if you can make it happen it would be sooo cool. I was always trying to figure a way to make something like that. But don't have the technical know how to make such a thing. I was also looking into, and you may have to go this way, would be what Jesse The body had in Predator.

Posted Image Posted Image

Airsoft Minigun with 2 20oz co2 tanks.

It doesn't need to be exactly like this but it could eliminate the hassle of belt fed. I'm sure you could mod it in to a Saw type marker. After shooting the M249 in the desert I was so happy to be carrying an M4 or M16. I could just image how heavy a paintball version could get with full load out. But it would be a good mil sim/ scenario marker.
If you see my shadow it's already too late.

#10 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

View PostGUNFU, on 16 October 2010 - 11:20 PM, said:

View PostThe Bear, on 16 October 2010 - 07:52 PM, said:

Bear

Also weight and where are you going to carry all that brass in? It could get heavy. I've had friends play with those RAP4's and are more concerned about the casings. They are 14-17$ for 500 casings and thats without paint. I'm pretty sure they only make casings for 40 to 43 cal. Last I checked 43 cal paint ain't cheap. But if you can make it happen it would be sooo cool. I was always trying to figure a way to make something like that. But don't have the technical know how to make such a thing. I was also looking into, and you may have to go this way, would be what Jesse The body had in Predator.

Posted Image Posted Image

Airsoft Minigun with 2 20oz co2 tanks.

It doesn't need to be exactly like this but it could eliminate the hassle of belt fed. I'm sure you could mod it in to a Saw type marker. After shooting the M249 in the desert I was so happy to be carrying an M4 or M16. I could just image how heavy a paintball version could get with full load out. But it would be a good mil sim/ scenario marker.

I had the idea of using a non disintegrating belt and some kind of mechanism to cycle the shells through the gun but it may be some what problematic.
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#11 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

Here's 2 cents for you to think about..

Goblin launcher shells for your .68 caliber paint. Fuse them together somehow and now its belt fed and no need for an air source due to them having their own.

Now I leave.
Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#12 User is offline   archanglmikel 

• He is like fire and ice and rage....
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:archanglmikel

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

View PostSFC. Connell, on 27 October 2010 - 06:44 PM, said:

Here's 2 cents for you to think about..

Goblin launcher shells for your .68 caliber paint. Fuse them together somehow and now its belt fed and no need for an air source due to them having their own.

Now I leave.

The down side to this is 1, each of those shells have to be charged with air individually. That would make resetting the belt a very time consuming process. 2, The goblin shells are about 12 buck apiece, sold in 5 packs. That means a 200 round belt would set you back about $2400.00 in parts + your linkage components. I'm sure that they might cut a deal for such a large order but never enough the make this even remotely practical. I hate to be so negative towards this idea but a belt feed marker is terribly impractical. Like so many intelligent concepts its not a matter of "can it be done?" but should it be done?

southeast brigade patches coming soon! Archanglmikel's feedback
Avatar made by my wife...please ask before you take...or she'll be forced to use her Freeze Ray.

#13 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

View Postarchanglmikel, on 28 October 2010 - 12:44 AM, said:

Like so many intelligent concepts its not a matter of "can it be done?" but should it be done?

While I do see your point, I think one of the best things about this sport is things like this, where someone says "I want it to be so" and so they work and make it so. So should it be done? Probably not but but wheres the fun in that? :) But we do have to find a way for it to be affordable.

What about phenolic tubes to hold the paintballs? Cheap, light, easy to work with. Just need to find something durable and flexible to link them. And figure out a feed system. We have a long ways to go, but I think with everyone on here we should be able to come up with something.

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

Look at Tippmann's SMG 60/68 for "belt fed" marker inspiration. The stripper clips were a hard plastic in sets of 5 rounds and set in a magazine that held 3 clips.

I would think that a soft belt, like the Nerf, would be easy to twist and jam at paintball width. A company called Air Zone makes a Gatling Blaster, http://www.toysrus.c...oductId=3709792 , that looks like it uses a hard belt.

The dart holders are held together with a built in hinge.
Posted Image

Probably the better way to go.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#15 User is offline   IIIce 

• Stay.Frosty.
  • PipPip

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hey here we go, let's draw up some blue prints, anyone live in NE ohio? Let's start machining this beast. And long live Thibbledorf Pwent, greatest of the gutbusters!

This post has been edited by IIIce: 29 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users