• You cannot reply to this topic

First Build Looking for input Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

Okay so its my first time trying to build a gun. I play mostly woodsball, so a mil-sim approach is what im looking for. I know it would be relatively easy to put a marker inside an airsoft body, which seems like what a lot of people do. However, I prefer function over form, so all the fake magwells and other stuff arent exactly what im looking for. I have some ideas, but i wanted to do a good amount of research and get input from people who have done this before. Im going to throw some ideas out and you can let me know what you think:

I am looking for a bullpup design, which means the action in the stock (obviously). Something similar to a P90. The problem with this is that the hopper would be right in my face with the gun up. To counter this, i was considering some sort of integrated, force feed hopper, something like a Q loader but with a well instead of the screw thing. I saw pics elsewhere where the hopper was attached to a box that fed it into the gun rather than the hopper on the gun.

I was also considering integrating the air, but that would be too cumbersome, and the weight would skyrocket.

So with that in mind, what would be the best gun to start with? i heard Ions work well, but with smart parts down im not sure if this would be a good idea. Like i said im in for function over form so im looking for consistency and accuracy. ROF is not a huge concern.
On this topic, would it be possible to put the gun in upside down and force feed the balls from the bottom? that would put the hopper under the gun and clear the top.

Im also looking to make this a very accurate gun, so a good regulator will be necessary. Any suggestions?

Thats all i got for now. Im going to keep doing research but any input would be greatly appreciated. If i get this into drawing ill post it up.
2 Samuel 22

#2 User is offline   Jones 

• Isaiah 6:8
  • PipPip

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:09 PM

Ok well i don't have any advice on the bull pup thing other than the Identity Crisis bullpup mod for the A5. One of my team mates has one and it feels really good. Link: B-5

Now for function i would recommend either the spec ops A5A2 or the blackcell ion. I have owned both and my blackcell ion longbow is still my primary marker. They are both very comfortable. The ion is very quiet and light weight which works good for me since i play as a "sniper/ghost flanker a lot. The A5A2 is a great all purpose marker.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

What other bullpup style airsoft guns would make a good shell for a build?
2 Samuel 22

#4 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

So I decided to go with an Ion. Ive upgraded the internals using WarCowboy's list as a base. its all the same except i couldnt find a rampage board so i went with a virtue, and i used an AKA Dual 2 Liter+ regulator.

Iv'e been refining this design in my head for a while now, and finally decided it was time to draw it out. I'm going to get all the details and the piping laid out in AutoCAD Inventor, but for now i drew up a paper silhouette and used it to make a rough foam prototype to get how it felt to hold.

Posted Image
Its a little difficult to see, but this is the basic plan. the Ion is upside down, which allows for a direct feed from a q loader from the bottom. this allows me to remove the hopper from the top and not unbalance the marker. It also makes the stock automatically dropped from the sightline so that i dont have to angle it or drop it and make the marker top-heavy. The only problem is that there is no cheek or comb to rest my face on for a steady shot. With iron sights this would be a problem, but it should be alleviated somewhat with electronic sights.

Posted Image

This is the foam mock-up i made. The foam is cheap and easy to manipulate which makes for a great prototyping material. I found that the stock needed to be lower that in my drawing, and some other little things. It also allowed me to more accurately relate sizes of the stuff in the marker to each other and to what they would feel like.

So im going to toy with inventor to get a feel for it (Ive used solidowrks before, but i got inventor for free), then make a design there. I know it would be faster to just draw it out and manipulate a rough product to fit but this is as much a learning process as it is a new marker, as i am an engineering student.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know of a good bolt-out-back system for the ion?
2 Samuel 22

#5 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:blackrain's aftermath

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:03 PM

View PostBenaiah, on 25 October 2010 - 12:51 PM, said:

So I decided to go with an Ion. Ive upgraded the internals using WarCowboy's list as a base. its all the same except i couldnt find a rampage board so i went with a virtue, and i used an AKA Dual 2 Liter+ regulator.

Iv'e been refining this design in my head for a while now, and finally decided it was time to draw it out. I'm going to get all the details and the piping laid out in AutoCAD Inventor, but for now i drew up a paper silhouette and used it to make a rough foam prototype to get how it felt to hold.

Posted Image
Its a little difficult to see, but this is the basic plan. the Ion is upside down, which allows for a direct feed from a q loader from the bottom. this allows me to remove the hopper from the top and not unbalance the marker. It also makes the stock automatically dropped from the sightline so that i dont have to angle it or drop it and make the marker top-heavy. The only problem is that there is no cheek or comb to rest my face on for a steady shot. With iron sights this would be a problem, but it should be alleviated somewhat with electronic sights.

Posted Image

This is the foam mock-up i made. The foam is cheap and easy to manipulate which makes for a great prototyping material. I found that the stock needed to be lower that in my drawing, and some other little things. It also allowed me to more accurately relate sizes of the stuff in the marker to each other and to what they would feel like.

So im going to toy with inventor to get a feel for it (Ive used solidowrks before, but i got inventor for free), then make a design there. I know it would be faster to just draw it out and manipulate a rough product to fit but this is as much a learning process as it is a new marker, as i am an engineering student.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Also, does anyone know of a good bolt-out-back system for the ion?

I have a friend who puts BT4 inside of Bull Pup Bodies. Would you like his contact info?

Later,
Blackrain:)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users