• You cannot reply to this topic

Best Footwear for Woodsball Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

We have a pair of the Roclite 390 GTX's on our team. A couple years ago we had an Inov-8 sponsorship and they opened a whole new world to me.
The idea of light weight high quality shoes with traction that could not be beat.

I play in the X-Talon 212 currently. I have trashed these things through two seasons of abuse now and they still offer me the best possible performance. Boots simply do no even come remotely close to the performance these adventure running shoes give.

They are considered a minimalistic off road running shoe. 212 grams weighs less than your cell phone...and that is a pair of shoes! They do require most people to learn how to use them since very few folks are used to the feel and do not have the proper muscle structure in thier legs to wear them for long periods of time. The first 24 hour scenario I wore mine to prooved just how little lower leg structure I had! But hte continued use of a minimalistic shoe will give you the muscle support you need for our sport.
The sole is a non clogging tread design that uses soft rubber lugs that allow your foot to wrap around objects creating a great traction pattern then any standard shoe or boot.
This ability to feel your footing while on the move actually reduces the chance of ankle roll greatly. Stepping on a rock that you would normally slide off of does not happen in these things!
The shoe design in the non GTX models allow for moisture to travel through the shoe to drain and dry quickly. Yes your feet get wet but they do not sit in trapped puddle of water like most boots. I wear mine in the winter, and with their ability to drain water my feet do not freeze off even though they are wet.
The X-Talon was also released in a limited high top design called the 240. The folks in our sport claimed they wanted the high top but the sales were lackluster and the design was dropped.
Now they have moved onto releasing the 195...that is a pair of heavyly cleating off road running shoes that weighs in at less than 7 ounces! I am seriously looking at these for my next pair.

Now I know the Roclite does not use the same tread patttern or lug design so the traction will be a bit less, but my daughter loves hers to the point of using them in standard workouts in the gym at her job.
The GTX models being waterproof only run into trouble when you swamp water over the rim. They do not drain as fast, but they do dry out pretty quick for a waterproof shoe.

I have held the 288 GTX prototype prir to its release. It is a very good shoe. And I would tell you to look past the price and make the purchase...they will blow you away in their performance. But do go out of your way to try them on! The sizing is different for everybody...some need bigger some smaller than what they are used to. Tyr them on prior to purchase unless you can get free return shipping with a company like Zappos.

If you want the best traction and the lightest weight shoe you have ever used...take a look at Inov-8

This post has been edited by Krazy8: 07 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

#17 User is offline   redthirst 

• AVOID THE NOID!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Location:The South <-- this used to be more specific... but then somebody snitched on me.
  • Brigade Name:WrightPower

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

View PostKrazy8, on 07 February 2011 - 12:33 PM, said:

helpful post

Thanks for the write-up Krazy8, I don't know about anyone else, but that really helped be decide to go ahead and pull the trigger on some kind of inov-8s this year.

I like the Rocklite 288s mostly for the combination of high top ankle support, good off-road traction, and extreme lightness, but would prefer a traction pattern better suited for mud and grass like the X-Talons or Mudclaws. The X-Talon 240 sounds like just the ticket... I guess I'll try to find a pair before I commit to the Rocklites. Thanks again.

This post has been edited by redthirst: 07 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

Masters of awesome whom I don't BOINK with: Montresor, long_baller, JerseyPaint, Deschaine, brokepballer, Frontier Bill, Bookworm, TREE FITTY (he's a zombie), THIS COULD BE YOU!

#18 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

You will notice n the Inov-8 web site that they do not offer hardly any high top styles.
That is becuase the company is of a performance mindset. If you read through their stuff you will see that they believe a high top off road shoe actually leads to more ankle injury than a low top.

The low top forces you to build the muscle structure reequired to keep you safe. To many of us have strapped on high tops and our natural ability to roll our ankles over without injury has greatly diminished do to the shoe removing our need for muscle and tendon structure.

I have heard probably 90% of the people I show my shoes to tell me they need ankle support...they are prone to spraigning their ankles and would simply die if they did not wear a boot. In honesty, one out of 100 of those people actually have this problem.
What they really need to rebuild the structure to support their body...it was there, they just let it go away.

So here is the jist of this post. Do not let a low top shoe scare you do to its lack of support.
Look for what you need...traction. Proper traction will keep you from rolling and sliding off of things. And the soft flexable soles will let you know when you are stepping on something dangerous like a rock that is to steep to support your weight.
You just need to take the time and learn how to use a low top and listen to your body.

Now...they will however not stop you from stepping in holes at a dead running while shooting :dry:

#19 User is offline   redthirst 

• AVOID THE NOID!
  • PipPip
  • Location:The South <-- this used to be more specific... but then somebody snitched on me.
  • Brigade Name:WrightPower

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

View PostKrazy8, on 07 February 2011 - 01:23 PM, said:

You will notice n the Inov-8 web site that they do not offer hardly any high top styles.
That is becuase the company is of a performance mindset. If you read through their stuff you will see that they believe a high top off road shoe actually leads to more ankle injury than a low top.

The low top forces you to build the muscle structure reequired to keep you safe. To many of us have strapped on high tops and our natural ability to roll our ankles over without injury has greatly diminished do to the shoe removing our need for muscle and tendon structure.

I have heard probably 90% of the people I show my shoes to tell me they need ankle support...they are prone to spraigning their ankles and would simply die if they did not wear a boot. In honesty, one out of 100 of those people actually have this problem.
What they really need to rebuild the structure to support their body...it was there, they just let it go away.

So here is the jist of this post. Do not let a low top shoe scare you do to its lack of support.
Look for what you need...traction. Proper traction will keep you from rolling and sliding off of things. And the soft flexable soles will let you know when you are stepping on something dangerous like a rock that is to steep to support your weight.
You just need to take the time and learn how to use a low top and listen to your body.

Now...they will however not stop you from stepping in holes at a dead running while shooting :dry:

My ankles are fine, I'm not sure if I've ever rolled one and I haven't worn an everyday or running shoe with ankle support in at least a decade. That being said, I also don't expect to jump over fallen logs, run through brush and branches, or slide down/climb up muddy embankments with those shoes. I do expect that when I play paintball and would like a shoe that can protect my ankle when I do. I looked around online and found that plenty of places still stock the X-Talon 240s, so I think that'll definetely be my purchase. Thanks again, Krazy, I wouldn't have even known that shoe existed w/o your post.
Masters of awesome whom I don't BOINK with: Montresor, long_baller, JerseyPaint, Deschaine, brokepballer, Frontier Bill, Bookworm, TREE FITTY (he's a zombie), THIS COULD BE YOU!

#20 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

People wonder how I can run around in my barefeet without rolling my ankle...but it's true that boots and high tops make you lose muscle that keep you safe...but anyways, back on topic..I picked up a pair of merrell vibrams...they are incredible...they have great grip, and keep your feet extremely dry but also are extremely comfortable.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#21 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

Krazy, do you have any experience with the Mudroc's? Specifically the 290?
If I can't get they money in time to order some of the last 240's, I might grab those.

I actually need the ankle support. I've sprained mine so many times in soccer, basketball, football, and paintball (in both high and low top shoes). Though I've changed how I run a bit, it still helps to have that added protection.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#22 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

Those sound pretty sweet Krazy...

I have been using Asics, and my friend just got me into some of their... TrailSensort stuff, I think it is. Has kept me from bailing on the ice around home numerous times.

However, ever since I was 6 (playing soccer, etc.) I have had foot problems. Especially as I get older and do more running... I found (when I was jogging with what I think were Nikes, awful things) that jogging for 10-15 minutes on a rubber track caused the bottom of my feet to hurt so bad (with orthotics in!) that I lied on my back with my feet in the air like they were on fire for twice as long as I had jogged.

I'm out of shape enough that I don't run far enough during a game to get this too bad, but it really hurts my exercising capability -_- I'm hoping the Asics continue to work but I know I don't have much in the way of foot muscle... my friend does Ukranian dancing so he probably wouldn't need shoes.

Thing is I'd like to build some muscle so I have started using my treadmill (I did a barefoot jog at first but it was tearing up my soles - it start hurting eventually like my shoes, but not within 2 min like the Nikes) with just socks. I have a stupidly high arch, so I've been focusing mostly on a fast walk (4 mph or higher).

I like the look of these - the Asics cost quite a bit more (up to $200 easy), though my friend gives me his manager discount.

I'll have to look for a Canadian dealer!

#23 User is offline   Invictusone 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

@cdrinkH20-

For me, Asics are great, so are mizuno. Actually, running shoes tend to be different for different people, at least thats what my friends who work at Track and Trail (a shoe store) tell me, but Nike just owns everyone's feet. Seriously, my friend says that she has yet to meet someone who likes to run in Nikes.

Original topic:Any trail shoes will get it done tho
I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491

#24 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

Cdrink, if you can, "run" on an eliptical machine. I have trouble running for more than 10-15 minutes myself, but I can go all day on an eliptical. Granted, it's not the same as real running, but it'll get your cardio and stuff up, then you can start running.

And yes, Nike's are terrible for running. There is a store here called Runabout Sports. They don't even carry Nike shoes because of how bad they are.

We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett

#25 User is offline   Locknpump 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

Krazy those Inov roclite-312's look awesome, thanks for that post man.

#26 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

View PostPirate, on 08 February 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

Cdrink, if you can, "run" on an eliptical machine. I have trouble running for more than 10-15 minutes myself, but I can go all day on an eliptical. Granted, it's not the same as real running, but it'll get your cardio and stuff up, then you can start running.

And yes, Nike's are terrible for running. There is a store here called Runabout Sports. They don't even carry Nike shoes because of how bad they are.

Trick is I need money to go to a gym...and time. I am just starting to try to get on the treadmill cause I noticed my weight >< Crazy schoolwork :( I would do a cycle too, no problem. Just need the equipment! Maybe I can find something on Kijiji (like Craigslist, dunno if you have in States) for free or cheap. No room for it tho lol.

#27 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

Yeah. Gyms are too darn expensive :( I got free access to one right now in school, but when I get back home I'm gonna have to get in to one.

#28 User is offline   kaosukoden 

• Aim first
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kaosukoden

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

I'm answering this from a personal perspective. I work for Time Warner Cable, and we have to wear boots. My boots are awesome, they have great ankle support, decent gripping, and are worn in for my feet. I also wear them almost all day during the week, so it's what I'm used to. If I played more than a weekend a month, I may think about getting something that is specific and better suited for woodsball. But to me, that would be a pair of military boots, or something of the like... Just a personal preference though.

#29 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

Dude, you really work for Time Warner?
I am PMing you any time in the next month my Cable or internet doesn't work :P

After that I'll be home and not have Time Warner.

#30 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

Totally forgot I also have "free" gym at school...

But it takes 1 hr to bus in, and I don't like the idea of carrying around my sweaty clothes all day (or staying late when I can be doing hw). :(

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users