• You cannot reply to this topic

Masks with Dual Pane Thermal vs VForce Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

The foam used in the thermal lense is a closed cell foam...no adhesive/sealant out there is going to soak in.

Carving a v notch in the foam is simply to tricky to do and still have the seal work. That thickness is designed to keep the foam from compressing and seperating at the same time. Carve some out and you are going to have the foam collapse and the two lenses touch...totally tossing out the thermal quality ofthe airspace by allowing heat to push through conductivly.
Not to mention the difficulty of making a clean even v notch in such a small area.

Just use the lens. Do not crush the mask sideways in your gear bag, or get the foam seal wet when cleaning and you should have a good productive season out of them.

#17 User is offline   motherboard1 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

View PostKrazy8, on 18 October 2010 - 02:30 PM, said:

The foam used in the thermal lense is a closed cell foam...no adhesive/sealant out there is going to soak in.

Carving a v notch in the foam is simply to tricky to do and still have the seal work. That thickness is designed to keep the foam from compressing and seperating at the same time. Carve some out and you are going to have the foam collapse and the two lenses touch...totally tossing out the thermal quality ofthe airspace by allowing heat to push through conductivly.
Not to mention the difficulty of making a clean even v notch in such a small area.

Just use the lens. Do not crush the mask sideways in your gear bag, or get the foam seal wet when cleaning and you should have a good productive season out of them.

The lenses are simply too expensive and unreliable to use them as is. I own 3 spectra flex 8s, use the other 2 as loaners. I'v lost three of my own lenses to failing foam and seen far more belonging to others ruined. The only ones Iv ever had last are the 3 with a thick application of Silicon sealant, and ones Iv sealed for friends. But one of them is kind of old and scratched now and I'd like to replace it so I bought 2 more. I know from experience if I use them as is, they'll be finished within a few weekends of play, or the first time it rains during a game.

Its sad. This is the first time I'v bought aftermarket lenses designed this way. I wonder if they are old lenses that had been in stock for a while, or if this is the new way. Maybe someone can let me know.

#18 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

So far, no problems with my i3 Pro's...

My friend has had his i3's for over a year (including through that thunderstorm) with no fog. Ever.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users