Sp1 owners…with the dissolution of Smart Parts and theinability to acquire certain upgrades, I have spoken to a customizer who mightbe willing to make some parts for us.
This customizer is a moderator on one of the forums I'm amember to. He has posted quite a few mods for a variety of paintball and homefurnishings. His work appears to be top notch.
In talking with this person, he might be willing to makedouble triggers and matching guards for our SP1s. I'm willing to ship him myown SP1 grip/board/guard so that he has the proper measurements for what wewant…now we have to tell him what we want and that we want it.
My initial prospectwas this:
1. A blade [straight] or sling [concave curve] style doubletrigger in aluminum. The finger pad of the trigger would be wider than stock,somewhat like a "trigger shoe" in width. It's more comfy than what we have.
2. Trigger guard to match the current scheme [singletrigger] mounting system. That means, we wouldn't have to buy/replace ourcurrent grip covers but it would be wide enough to fit the trigger and our glovedfingers.
3. Rare Earth/Halo-type magnets installed [or at leastmilled for the purchaser to purchase and install on their own] at the back ofthe trigger. The idea was that it repels against a mated magnet the userinstalls on the front strap of their current grip. This forces the triggerforward, making the trigger "snappier." It will also keep the added weight ofthe aluminum from 'creeping' the trigger backward and mistakenly "firing" themarker.
4. Shims to take up the side-to-side slack on the trigger atthe pivot/axle. We all have it with our single triggers…we all know it and weall hate it. Tolerance issues make the need for shims an almost must. Theywould probably be made from brass or aluminum for durability and long life.
5. Finishes we are discussing but the idea is to keep costas low as possible. They could include any [or none at all] of the following:
* Black or OD powder coating
* Rattle-can paint
* Polished, raw aluminum
* Anodizing is being considered and may be an option if weget numbers. It could as plainly not be done depending on how "low numbers"might be. Remember that anodizing is an expensive process and is easiest to doin large numbers. Small runs just aren't cost effective and that would affectthe cost to the consumer.
****NOTE: To save time and money, the triggers and guardswill be the same, matching colors. It makes the most sense to bulk coat orbulk-anodize a lot of _____ pieces at once, than by piece meal/per order. It'sthis reason alone that we might only have one, possibly 2 color schemes atmost.
As with any custom project, the more made and sold, thecheaper it can be. What we are looking for is a bulk order so that;
- It keeps the cost down for us
- Guarantees work and full payment to the customizer.
I'm trying to keep our cost as low as possible and if enoughinterest is generated, [say…more than 50 units] I'm HOPING that I might be ableto talk him into a $40 OR SO rangefor the set up. In all likelihood, it may be higher but I can dream, can't I?LOL!
We had talked about the possibility of a pre-order/downpayment system and he is not infavor of that. That means he will notrequire you to send a partial/full payment until the units are done and readyto be shipped. That being said, let's not try and screw him over by causingoverruns that he can't sell either. He's doing us a great service, let's nottry to sink his business before it gets off the ground.
That's an unknown. He has yet to even view a SP1s trigger group, so everything has to be plotted anddoped out. The R&D has to be done and a prototype will have to be built, tested,tweaked and ultimately finalized.
I'd like to know how many people would be interested inthis. I'm setting up an interest poll and ask that PLEASE…ONLY SP1 OWNERSRESPOND TO THE POLL. If you want to comment in the thread, that's absolutelyfine for all forum users but I need the poll statistics to garner the level ofinterest. I am creating this on the many different forums I'm on [about 12-15of them] so I also ask that if you've voted in one poll on any forum, please doNOT vote again on any other site hosting it.
Poll questions and choices:
Do you want a custom made SP1 double trigger and guard?
What would you be willing to pay for these items shipped inthe Continental U.S.?
- I don't care; I'd pay ANYTHING to lose the stupid single trigger.
What type of finish do you want on both pieces [trigger ANDguard]?
- Black powder coat
- Olive Drab powder coat
- Raw but polished finish [no colored coating]
- Dust black Anodizing [a possibility depending on numbers]