• You cannot reply to this topic

what is the the art of retreat ? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

I agree with Big Bone. Whether you walk or run, fight on the fly or flee, just don't be where they think you are.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#17 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

pull a daniel boone. make tons of noise, shoot from different spots, repeat. if you make them pay with either paint and air, or in manpower for every advance they make, you can eventually launch a counter and crush em.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#18 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

The trick is to confuse them. Make them think there are more than there really are. To do this, if you have the cover, shoot from different places, quickly. The key is to move when you cant be seen, and often.

Also, Teammates must cover to effect a good retreat. Leapfrogging is essential, and should be drilled if you have the chance. even if youre not live firing, just practice the movement in a field or even a backyard.

like it was said, a retreat can easily be turned into an ambush if you can plan it right. Leave a flanker hidden, and when the opfor passes, catch them in the crossfire
2 Samuel 22

#19 User is offline   cor_man257 

• Just some random guy.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cor_man257

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:16 AM

I see alot of people giving you suggestions... but i wanna try and through my two cents in as well for no apparent reason.

They're is a large differance in two of the things being explained here. One is retreat, and the other is breaking contact. One is an "OH crap" situation. The other is a back off and wait, or change the set up to better your odds. Breaking contact can be looked at as a tacticle type of movement away from your opposing team while attempting to suppress them and move back the way you came until your set up in a manner to deal with them better. Whether or not its an ambush, or its just a better peice of cover. Retreat is more like... Save what ya got to fight another day. Cut losses dont try to engage just try to make it through the round of play. Luck plays kinda heavy.

Im gonna talk more about breaking contact than I am retreating. Cause well I think most of the time breaking contact is better. It usually involves a team... but for the sake of simplicity (and because its what im used to) Im going to use two people as my example. So you and your buddy Snuffy are walking along your woodsball course looking for the big ugly bad guy right? Excpet you bump into the opposing team (for me its usaully 2 guys. 2vs2 games is my thing.) So lets say its two guys, good cover, and theyve got decent guns slinging alot of paint at you. Or maybe its 4 guys. whatever. You and Snuffy are gonna take cover right away. Common sense. Your going to want to fall back and lead them into chasing you. it gives you the advantage of an ambush. So you cover snuff. Hes gonna run while you try to keep the heads of the bad guys down. you dont need to empty your hopper and run for the pods. just slap a few rounds out that cause a duck. Snuffy runs like a sum bitch behind you (and preferably offset ever so slightly to one side. Hey lets you know hes good and set. He fires, and keeps heads down. You run past him. Set up in a similar fashion. Cover him while he moves. If you can move fast enough back you can stop firing, and hide yourself to open up when they dont see it coming. hopefully youll mark acouple off when they're in the open. It dwindles there numbers and gives you a better shot at taking them on. You can keep doing this many times.

I dont think I need to go over the basic L ambush but ill hit it fast. When snuffy sets down and gets ready for them to walk into his fire, you want to run off to the side and face where they are. So youll be shooting at them from the side. "Flank". Theres alot of good stuff on this website that can inform you alot more about it.

Retreat. I said that breaking contact is usually better. Well... doesnt mean its always the one i use if ya know what i mean. hahaha. So lets say your alone, and hit a similar set up. RUN. Chances are your going to be out numbered. Try to make them lose sight of you. Its the most important thing to your making it through the round. Try to get them dwindled down through a serious of one man ambushes. And always make quick glances to your sides, and on occasion watch your ass.

I have a buddy who is a competant player and a force to be reckoned with on the feild. He gave me this advice and I pass it on to you. MOVE WHEN THEY MOVE. Unless your dealing with the best FRAGing player ever they are going to look to where they are going, not at you. Even if they are shooting at you, chances are they will lose they're eye on the ball. and if you move when they do it then they are left looking in the spot where you were. Not where you are. Let them move in on where you were, and go for the shot that gets presented. The second thing he taught me is DONT DO WHAT THEY THINK. If your against two of them, and there is one of you chances are that your gonna run. Or hold where you are till your over run. Move toward them. Not always the smart play. but they wont expect it. If you act and play like your gonna get hit, then you already are. Remember they arent the only ones with a marker. Tom Clancy once used the phrase "Every man a Tiger". Live it. Use your teeth back. Confidence is alot of it. Move when they are communicating with each other. Keep eyes on them, not on where your going. Let your feet do the work. That way they dont play the switch er roo I told you about up there^. Wait for them to give you something and go for it with a few shots and show them you closed the gap with them are here to play some ball. Do it a few times and come out on top and you can wind up becoming a power player amongst your friends.

Retreat involves individual player skill (snap shots, consistant shots, attitude on the feild, swift movement, fast reactions, eyes on everything), basic tricks and tactics (Tree walking, Move when they move, quick flanks, and the occasional bunker run), timing, and LUCK.

Great luck next time your out there. and come back and tell us about it. I'd love to hear how it goes for you. =] Hope some of that nonsense was helpful.

EDIT: So its been awhile since school. And this crappy iraq internet means i can out type the words on the screen. Whatever the excuse i made alot of mistakes. Gonna fix some. Forgive the others.

This post has been edited by cor_man257: 16 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

Iraq. Been there. Done that. OIF 2010- OND 2011.
I long for the life of a patio owner. Guitar, a grill, and laying in a hammock with the one you love staring at the skyline and the sunsets.Posted Image

#20 User is offline   dextonik 

• Grrrrrrr, ARRRG
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dex.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

View PostPuzuma, on 23 June 2010 - 07:24 PM, said:

Posted Image

RUN AWAY!

Those were the "other knights" Ha Ha! get it? :dodgy:
If you can't hack it, then I suggest you pack it!
I'm on it like white on rice, with a glass of milk in a snow storm.
Doesn't matter what gun you have, as long as you can hit what you're looking at.
Procrastinators of the world unite...TOMORROW

#21 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

If I want to survive, I run quickly away. It's fairly hard for the opponents to hit you while you are moving away quickly.

If I want to get a couple kills, I just wait for them to walk past me and light a couple of them up. It's nerve racking, but it feels so good to know you took out at least a couple guys with ya!
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#22 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

Be honorable. Fact them head on. Even if it's 100 vs 1, a proper enemy will respect you for fighting like a man. If it's a cowardace enemy, that will hide from you, then make him look foolish. An enemy may beat me in a fight, but I will go out giving them my best attempt at a counter. If I go out looking like a fool, then shame on me, my tribe, and my people.

So follow the Headbangers rule. Go out shooting.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#23 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

getting killed never did anyone much good, I mean occasionally there is a need for the sacrifice of lives, and a constant onslaught of people charging something...however, I would say that there are very often times in paintball where we can without any shame back up and take a better position. I would say many people in the military would say the same thing, there is no reason to die if you can be more sucessfull from retreating a little bit for a short time...or maybe i'm crazy.
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#24 User is offline   Helmi_17 

• You know the music...
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Helmi_17

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

Generally, I'll pop off a few rounds just to get their heads down and then I'll break cover and sprint about 20 yards or so, depending on where the cover is... Then I'll turn around, peek out and re-assess... If they haven't started moving up, I'll immediately start pushing an extreme flanking maneuver at as close to light speed as my lamborfheeties will take me and counterattack as aggressively as I can manage. Of course, I'm talking about this as if you're on your own and cover fire/leap frogging applies in groups.

As a general rule, most players aren't going to break cover and chase after you, especially if they're not sure of what you might be running into or if you may or may not have teammates left. I've used this technique to great success while playing at a disadvantage. Most groups of players will not effectively organize a flanking maneuver or firing line by the time you can score a few eliminations by attacking them.

There's a lot to be said about the demoralization that comes from that one last guy pushing up a flank and taking out half of your team.
...Time to dance!

#25 User is offline   Cobrakai 

• Very sneaky snake!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:NTEGRITY

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:01 AM

If you can teleport do that! If not, the steps to knowing how to retreat and when to retreat are easy... Obviously each scenario is different. Let's assume you're flying solo and a large force is headed your way. You hide and observe as they pass, then you stalk them or radio to your team to create a hasty ambush. This tactic most likely would be a good choice. However you had other options.. A: You could have tried to gun it out with your Op For, but unless you have a good drop on them, you may get overwhelmed. B: You could fire off some warning shots then make a break for it. This choice is good, but there is still a chance of getting shot. C: You could have simply waited for the force to pass and then shot them when they were vulnerable, much like my opening option this is a smart choice
Now I'm not saying to be more conservative than a Jew in the great Depression, but you should know when to play the cat or the mouse. Most teams look for players who are universal, meaning good at everything...Anyways, there's a million scenarios and options you have when facing opposition, I gave you one. Practice up on your game, and learn from your misstakes. Good luck :tup:
"God will judge my enemies, and I'll arrange the meetings."

#26 User is offline   GUNFU 

• EL Gunfu
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:I_KNW_GUNFU

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

View PostCobrakai, on 30 December 2010 - 12:01 AM, said:

If you can teleport do that! If not, the steps to knowing how to retreat and when to retreat are easy... Obviously each scenario is different. Let's assume you're flying solo and a large force is headed your way. You hide and observe as they pass, then you stalk them or radio to your team to create a hasty ambush. This tactic most likely would be a good choice. However you had other options.. A: You could have tried to gun it out with your Op For, but unless you have a good drop on them, you may get overwhelmed. B: You could fire off some warning shots then make a break for it. This choice is good, but there is still a chance of getting shot. C: You could have simply waited for the force to pass and then shot them when they were vulnerable, much like my opening option this is a smart choice
Now I'm not saying to be more conservative than a Jew in the great Depression, but you should know when to play the cat or the mouse. Most teams look for players who are universal, meaning good at everything...Anyways, there's a million scenarios and options you have when facing opposition, I gave you one. Practice up on your game, and learn from your misstakes. Good luck :tup:

Well said!

It also helps to know the field and try to make that retreat work to your advantange and find a good point to draw them into where you can either mount an ambush like Cobra said or setup a good defensive position and see if they have a weak side and try to use it to your advantage while they are focusing on the defensive players you send out some guys to pick them off on the weak side.

But when I can, I use the good old "Chuck Norris never retreats, he just attacks in the opposite direction" tactic :panzer: .
If you see my shadow it's already too late.

#27 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:35 AM

Definitely learned the "mouse" side first...

When I started playing I had a used 98c with a flatline (lacking a shroud - very hard to get it straight)... unfortunately, the flatline had been bent a bit to the side and something else was up with it after the first couple times I used it and I suddenly got the craziest shots coming out of it (like literally almost 90 degrees sideways)...

So I couldn't even hit/get breaks from 20 feet... and I ended up sprinting from cover to cover, pulling the enemy team towards me (I was alone by then)... because they had the heights of the field and were firing from cover.

Eventually, a lucky ball went UNDER a fence I was behind and hit my shoe so I called myself...I didn't manage to get any of them unfortunately (as my shots were so wild) but I probably wasted 4 people's hoppers... twice.

Anyways, I later used my 98c to great effect with a proper J&J against 3 full auto guys who set up my team with 2 rentals.. snap shot through a window and hit a guy who had just poked out a third of his lens, stepped to the left and hit another guy behind a car through a second window, and because I knew one was close I ran backwards, slid, and went prone out in the street beside another car and popped the last one as he rushed in the door of the building I was in...unfortunately, the 2nd guy had taken 2/2 hits with no breaks and he shot my legs after I thought it was done... but they showed a little respect for the semi-auto mechanical player after that... and after I helped carry off a guy on their team when he hit a weird piece of ground and messed up his ankle seconds before I was about to bunker him.

#28 User is offline   Cobrakai 

• Very sneaky snake!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:NTEGRITY

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:49 AM

hahaha Or use ninja smoke bombs and dissapear! :ninja:

This post has been edited by Cobrakai: 30 December 2010 - 02:53 AM

"God will judge my enemies, and I'll arrange the meetings."

#29 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

It's running away without getting shot in the ass.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#30 User is offline   alexspawn3000 

• †defender of mankind†
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:alexspawn3000

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Actually getting shot in the ass is where you want it, 90% of the time it will bounce, even if your a skinny kid. most people have enough fat on both cheeks to get a bounce,

Getting hit right on the back of the leg, for some reason it always leaves a big welt. Never understood why,

Laughed so damn hard reading this! But so true! I've been shot in the cheek a few times, I am pretty slim, it bounced, hurt like hell, and left a big welt...but i was still in the game! :)
Posted Image
"The gun doesn't MAKE the player, it ENHANCES the player!"
~AleX~

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users