• You cannot reply to this topic

What's your take... 3 pistols 3 choices Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Edge_24 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Edge

Post icon  Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

I've been wanting a sidearm for a while.. and me being me, I like to do extensive research before purchasing anything. I'm interested in the Tac-8, TPX, and Zeus G2+. So far I've been leaning toward the Zeus but I'd rather read other peoples opinions first. So, what's your take on these guns? :)
“You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field with your head held high... and it doesn’t matter that you failed the test, didn’t get the girl, or that you've got crap going on back home, because for the next 3 minutes you're living for the moment."

#2 Guest_Lt.Vortex_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

A 1911.

#3 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:25 AM

View PostLt.Vortex, on May 20 2010, 01:12 PM, said:

A 1911.

See, this is exactly what we've been talking about when we tell you that you're intentionally trying to irritate people.

In response to the original post,

In my opinion, the T8 is the best of your 3 candidates for a pistol marker. The downside is the cost of magazines.

The TPX seems to be improving since it was released. The main draw is the cheaper magazines compared to the T8. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, you have to load the TPX mags to 7 instead of 8 to avoid issue though (they may have corrected this).

The Zeus is an OK design. It's basically a mini-spyder clone. It won't be as efficient with the 12 gram as the other choices, and swapping magazines/reloading in game is harder than the other two.

However, you will soon find that, most often, if you run a pistol marker, it will be as a primary marker. Paintball markers that are "sidearms" spend 95-98% of the time in their holster, if they even get to be used in game at all.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 20 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

Member of Team Akkadian

#4 User is offline   Gilla 

• Action shot!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:gilla

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

I like my tac-8. I like it a lot. I have big hands, that's a frequent complaint, but I like it.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like an idiot. :facepalm:
Who flung poo?

#5 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

View PostLt.Vortex, on May 20 2010, 02:12 PM, said:

A 1911.

3. No Spamming. Simply put, everyone gets all the spam they could ever want in their in-boxes. We don't need any more on our online forum.

On topic...
The Tac 8/8.1 is generally considered the best pistol available right now. The magazine cost is pretty high, but has come down, plus there is no shortage of used ones around the various forums. I have also heard rumblings of a cheaper mag being released by them shortly, but haven't taken the time to find out anything official. The TPX had a lot of hope but fell a bit short as Thalion mentioned. Tippmann has made adjustments since the first release so if you buy one, make sure it's a newer version. The Zeus & all it's variants, has been around for a long time... but due to it's size, it's hardly a side arm compared to the TPX & Tac 8.

If I were you, I'd choose a Tac 8.1. Just my humble opinion.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#6 User is offline   Tenacious221 

• ELITE Member, now with matching elite patch!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Tenacious221

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

I'd be going with the TPX myself.

Mags are cheap, you can throw a Pro-Lite/A5/X7 threaded barrel into it if you like, and the 12gram layout is pretty good too.

-Tenacious

#7 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

The Zeus is a decent pistol. It can be quickly reloaded from a 10 round tube after practicing the steps - spring forward, cap open tube load, cap replace, spring release. Also at the start of the day it is possible to load 12 rounds by initially loading 10, dropping one into the chamber and feeding in another 2.

With the Zeus you have to change the 12 gram at the right time - when it is low.

The bar on the cap for the 12 gram allows a replacement 12 gram to be firmly and quickly punctured and tightened with a little practice - however the barrel extension can get in the way of this.

The Tiberius is my favourite. I recommend 3 magazines if using it as a primary, but that means committing 3 12 grams to begin the day. 3 magazines allow you to manage reloads getting 3 good sets of 8 shots per 12 gram, carrying spare magazine means you don't have to change 12 gram in an emergency as you can switch magazine. The bottom of the magazine has a dial feature letting you count reloads to keep track.

I have recently switched a magazine to compressed air on a remote line and used my Tiberius with one magazine for most of the day for North vs South - the UKs largest big game recently. The disadvantage is having to stick to one magazine and needing to reload. However using remote air means not worrying about losing co2 when ejecting the magazine so I was reloading after each burst to keep the magazine full.
(With a 4500 fibre cylinder I had no worries about air)

I liked the idea of the TPX but dislike going back to the 12 gram on the marker instead of the magazine, so again you have to change it when necessary.
The ability to run a remote line with multiple magazines sounds good to me.

If running on 12 grams I say the Tiberius wins, if runnning on remote the TPX may be a winner with as may magazines carried as you wish.

#8 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:09 PM

If the TPX magazines were made a bit better (and they may have been since I last looked at them), I'd be all over the TPX for a remote line setup.

The biggest thing I hate about playing pistol is buying 12 grams, especially when I already own an HPA tank.
Member of Team Akkadian

#9 User is offline   Edge_24 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Edge

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

Thanks everyone! This has really helped, I'll most likely be looking toward buying a Tac-8 in the future. :Help:
“You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field with your head held high... and it doesn’t matter that you failed the test, didn’t get the girl, or that you've got crap going on back home, because for the next 3 minutes you're living for the moment."

#10 Guest_Lt.Vortex_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

THIS IS A PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT: The 1911 phrase was a joke. I cant guarantee it won't happen again. The mater is closed. NO more comments will be made on the matter.

Now please, carry about your lives citizens.

#11 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

You don't make public announcements ... the staff does. Also we can guarantee it won't happen again. Both things have to do with special buttons we have.

#12 User is offline   Epic_Fail 

• The Mad King
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:*hug*

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

Rejoice!

Edit: for on-topic purposes, I've only heard good things about the Tac-8.

This post has been edited by Epic_Fail: 20 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

How'd you do that, sexy? - Becc asking me a question.

Aaron: Alcohol sucks balls. / Fen: No, that's what I do. / Me - Fen sucks balls! / Fen - Only yours Epic.

#13 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

Ding! Dong! The witch is dead!

I love my Tiberius pistols. I agree with Thalion about the TPX mag situation. But, that's new Tippmann for you...

This post has been edited by Pirate: 20 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#14 User is offline   Lachero 

• We Few...
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:11 PM

Tac 8 is where it's at. But when you buy one, i'd go for the 8.1 or check the bst as you could def find a good deal on one there
I like turtles!
Support Cedric Diggory...Edward Stinks!

#15 User is offline   TeleFragger 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:56 AM

i was in this boat too...
i wanted a vest and a pistol holster.... will i ever use the pistol?? who knows.. but i do know on my last game we did a attack and defend... if i had a pistol.. i would have hit the slide check on my remote line... dropped my 98c and busted out the pistol...

now i was going to buy the tac 8.1 players pack for $250 but saw the SA-8 deal and got that... well since that turned into what it did... Tiberius gave me $100 credit... so im $128 in so far...
i gave back the sa-8 and got 3 tac 8.1 fs mags......
bought a tac 8.1 slightly used from this site with 1fs mag and 2 tac 8 mags...
then i did the buy 1 get 3 free deal to which gave me 4fs mags and 6 tac 8 mags....10 total...
but i traded 3 mags for a 98c, lapco and cyclone so basically i paid less than $50 for that 98c!!!!

so in reality and a long run i got
Tac 8.1 - $200
3 tac 8.1 mags - $100
4 tac 8 mags - $50

now my honest opinion..... wait for the tac 9.1 ranger.... i think i may switch to that in the future... not sure yet..... it looks nice, mag or hopper fed, co2 or bottle in stock (i know an aftermarket part but seems cool but 80ish shots???)

ok enough of my babbling...
*********Feedback**** click on a link below
-------Specops-------------MCB

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users