Special Ops Paintball: Tips for Working Out - Special Ops Paintball

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Tips for Working Out Exercises, schedules, routines and overall tips and discussion.

#16 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

View PostT-Freak, on May 3 2010, 05:31 PM, said:

what i dont understand is how you guys can do that many push ups...ive been doing pushups for about 2 years, about 3 sets a day every other day usually...and most i can get is 30-40 before my elbows give out. But i can do 25-30 pullups like its cake, i think its a just i have weak joints, because my arms are pretty workedout from benching high weights every other day, so i know i should be able to get more pushups...i only weigh 160...idk i want to get to atleast 60 pushups

its a wonderfull thing called "slow-twitch muscle groups"

basically a avareage person has about 45% slow-twitch and 55% fast twitch muscles,
Slow twitch fibres are amazing at doing endurance exersicing, usually A well trained slow twich muscle can perform a contraction for easily 2 to 8 hours straight.
Fast twitch are great at doing fast actions, they have giant stores of glucose ready to be broken down quickly to get energy, Although fast twitch fibres are divided into two types, Type 1 and type 2.

Type 1 fast Twitch fibres can "transform" into slow twitch,
Type 2 arwee static and will always be.

So a crazy endurance runner will have nearly 70-80% slow twitch fibres within the muuscle system, this means they can do push-ups all day long, give them water and a big breakfast and you know who's coming in first place.

As to how to train your body to do this, I beleive takes a olympic coach. otherwise were all pretty much the same.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 03 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

#17 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

Woah man...I only do high weight once a week. You're breaking down your muscle faster than it can repair. High weight causes massive tears/damage to your muscles, hence why you get such large mass gains with it. Every other day is fine with high rep endurance stuff like push ups and pull ups, but you should weight at least 4-5 days between high weight workouts. I weight a full week. And with your pull ups are you locking your elbows completely out and then bringing your chin all the way over the bar without doing a "dolphin" or a "bicycle kick" known as kipping? If so...nice. Take like 5 days off and max out on your push ups. By max out I mean your entire body should be shaking violently and not moving on the one you couldn't complete. Also you could be mentally plateauing on your push ups. Remember you should be doing more every time you do them. Now if your arms and chest give out at the same spot every time then you've reached a true plateau. The best way I found to break them is with burnouts. Grab a 25lb weight and put it between your shoulder blades and max out. Then immediately drop it and max out on normal push ups. Then drop to your knees and max out again. Do that even once or twice back to back and you'll be dead. The key is no rest, therefore training your slow-twitch muscle, but with higher weight than it's used to. Just remember fast-twitch means snatch, slow-twitch means hold. Or strength versus endurance or sprint versus distance. However you want to think about it. Maybe you do have joint problems, but I don't think so. When I max out on my push ups it feels like my elbows giving out, simply because your triceps can't support the weight and you collapse.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 03 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

#18 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

Naw, dude, there's no limit to your pushups. None, of any kind. So long as you're using proper form, the only injury you're risking is a busted nose -- go ahead and max them out *every day*. Twice if you're up to it. You might not notice the improvement as quickly, but you'll be building yourself all the same. Soon as you do eventually take a break, you'll see a HUGE jump in your endurance. For heavy-weight stuff, I've always heard that as long as you alternate days you'll be fine, and you'll pack in more work into a shorter time -- granted, taking a week off is probably healthier but not by much. That said I don't really screw around with resistance training much -- some dumbells now and then but that's about it. I stick to sports and G-forces.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#19 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

Well the thing is, your body can't repair all of your muscle groups at once, so it's best to let one heal while you tear the other down. Oh and I also got 75 push ups in under a minute, and then 101 in 2 minutes...shows how badly I burn out.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 03 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

#20 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AutomagSniper

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:43 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on May 3 2010, 07:05 PM, said:

One recruiter can do 6 pull ups, our other can do 27...However I know no squid has ever bested the 131 mark :P. And yes Marines have to do dead-hang pull ups. We do not have to wait at the top or bottom however we cannot swing. At boot camp they have DIs on stools watching to make sure your chin went over and they have another DI watching your elbows and body movement. You get your chin over the bar, and lock your elbows out at the bottom as fast as possible without any body movement (kipping). For my military workout (the exercises I do to prepare for USMC) goes like this. I personally pair push ups and sit-ups and pull-ups and running.

When I'm crunched for time I do 2 supersets with 5 minutes rest in between supersets, for push-ups I do 3 max sets with a 25lb weight between my shoulder blades and resting 2 mins between sets, and 3 max sets of sit-ups with the 25 lb weight resting 2 mins between sets. Then I rest 5 minutes and repeat it all again. The key to gains as I'm sure you know is your max set is when you couldn't physically sit-up anymore or if there was a fire, you'd have to crawl out because you couldn't do a push up to stand back up, not when you get tired of doing the exercise.

I do the same for pull-ups and running except with a 20lb weight vest and I run a mile instead of 3-6. So I end up doing 6 sets of 20lb. pull ups and running 2x 20lb miles.

When I do have time...I do one max set of push ups. As many perfect form push ups as you can do without resting. Take that number and multiply it by 10. Now do that many reps in as few sets as possible. Do the same with sit-ups except....do your max for 30 seconds, multiply that number by 5, and do that many reps in as few sets as possible....with the 25lb weight. I actually prefer to use the 15lb weight just because my body mass holds its form better. I physically can't counterbalance that much weight simply because I weigh 130lbs. However if I have a good hour to kill I'll grab the 25lb weight and do my max times 10. Usually I have to quit simply because 500 reps with 25lbs starts wearing me down to where I do like 5 and have to rest a whole minute.

For pull-ups use the same formula as the push-ups. For running, well it's up to you. Some days I feel like running 6 miles some days I feel like running 2. Regardless of how far I run, I make sure it hurts the same. If I'm running just 2 miles I'm booking it. I RUN the first mile, and go back to like my 6 mile pace to catch my breath for two laps, then speed up the next lap, and all out sprint the last lap. You know you're doing it right when you collapse in the grass and people think you're having an asthma attack because your breathing so hard. :sick:

I swim on the weekends as not to overload my chest.

Recently I've been doing more high weight training to bulk up for the beach :D but also when I start going back to high endurance, I'll retain a lot of that strength while losing the mass.

Sounds like a killer workout. I think I'll try that. Thanks! We can learn from eachother and keep each other up to date with what's working and what's not. I did forget to mention that the over training theory didn't apply to push ups / sit ups / pull ups as it was more for running, and free weight training.

#21 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:58 PM

I found just listening to your body works best man. Some days your body will have had more rest and better nutrition and you will have worked out differently the days before and there's just so many variables I feel its either wasteful or harmful to set a super rigid schedule. I believe in muscle shock and confusion for growth and development, but also you want to get your muscles into a pattern they like to perform, but make that pattern what your test is. For instance my muscles are most comfortable running 3 miles now because that's what I do most because that's what I'm tested on. Six miles is a hike, and 1.5 miles I feel like I need to sprint. Also I make sure to never do the same exact workout twice. I don't always do that workout mentioned simply because it gets boring. I do supplementary training and isolation to help improve the complex movements. One of my all time favorite things to do are burnouts, or shock treatment for your muscle. For instance, get some 10 lb weights and after you max out on your pull ups grab them and start curling them as fast as you can until you can't anymore. Also if your mentor is with you, get him to spot your weight once you've maxed on your pull ups and keep going until he is essentially military pressing you up the bar. For push ups I like to hit the bench and put on heavy weight but with all 5 lbs. Max out and then drop 5 lbs off each side of the bar and repeat. Once you max out on an empty bar drop to the ground and do push ups. Normally I can't do one so I drop straight to knee push ups and do as many as I can. Talk about a burn.

#22 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on May 3 2010, 10:58 PM, said:

I found just listening to your body works best man. Some days your body will have had more rest and better nutrition and you will have worked out differently the days before and there's just so many variables I feel its either wasteful or harmful to set a super rigid schedule. I believe in muscle shock and confusion for growth and development, but also you want to get your muscles into a pattern they like to perform, but make that pattern what your test is. For instance my muscles are most comfortable running 3 miles now because that's what I do most because that's what I'm tested on. Six miles is a hike, and 1.5 miles I feel like I need to sprint. Also I make sure to never do the same exact workout twice. I don't always do that workout mentioned simply because it gets boring. I do supplementary training and isolation to help improve the complex movements. One of my all time favorite things to do are burnouts, or shock treatment for your muscle. For instance, get some 10 lb weights and after you max out on your pull ups grab them and start curling them as fast as you can until you can't anymore. Also if your mentor is with you, get him to spot your weight once you've maxed on your pull ups and keep going until he is essentially military pressing you up the bar. For push ups I like to hit the bench and put on heavy weight but with all 5 lbs. Max out and then drop 5 lbs off each side of the bar and repeat. Once you max out on an empty bar drop to the ground and do push ups. Normally I can't do one so I drop straight to knee push ups and do as many as I can. Talk about a burn.

Yea, my program is similar. I have a very balanced program right now. It's 4 days a week but every day I do what I call the card workout, my SEAL mentor came up with it. It's super simply. Flip a card, push ups...next one sit ups, next one pull ups. Go through the deck and max out on each at the end. It's a pretty good burn. But on top of that, and my running and swimming I do this:

Chest & Bis
(Chest Lift) 3x6
(Chest Lift) 2x10
(Chest Lift) 1x20
(Bi Lift) 3x6
(Bi Lift) 2x10
(Bi Lift) 1x20

I switch the lifts up every week, and I do this with all my muscle groups. You can combine them anyway you like, just make sure you hit them all throughout the week. This combines elements of mass building, stamina, and your burnout principles. Trust me, it doesn't look like a lot but you will hurt.

#23 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

Right now for my weight training it goes

Chest
Biceps and Abs
Legs
Triceps and Abs
Back
Shoulders , Traps, and Abs
Running and Abs

A lot of the exercises overlap so more muscle groups get worked than mentioned. Each day just has it's focus. For example triceps get worked with chest a little along with shoulders on the chest flys. Back gets worked with my biceps because I do pull ups and bent over rows so I can curl higher weight. Triceps end up working a little chest and a lot of shoulders do to dips. Back ends up working biceps again from the pull ups, along with some traps from upper back exercises. Saturday is kind of my hodge podge day. I do whatever I feel like. A lot of times I'll throw in forearms to this day too. Sunday is my main running day while I bulk up so I can keep my endurance up.

This post has been edited by HeadshotPhantom: 03 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

#24 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

Yea, at this time my training is kind of thrown off. I'm a high school track runner, and a state bound (cross your fingers) hurdler. So I'll do hard workouts every day, but they're hurdling workouts so it doesn't really help. After track ends and summer picks up I'm really going to start hitting it hard every day. But for now I would like to make sure I make it to state. It's my last year to do this kind of thing.

#25 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

Yea cardiovasular endurance is the standard of "fitness" anyway. Plus it will help you with every single other exercise.

#26 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

People been telling me to do high weights every other day...marines.... and yeah i have proper pull up form i used to workout with a couple marines who taught me proper form..

Its not my muscles im tearing up, its my joints that feel weak is all..Im going to start maxxing out my pushups...ill shoot for 50 this month.
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

Joints are a lot more important than muscle to take care of. :P

#28 User is offline   Malu 

• VSC Phantom Owner
  • PipPip

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on May 4 2010, 08:24 PM, said:

Joints are a lot more important than muscle to take care of. :facepalm:

Very true, I would get it checked out. Straining your muscles and straining your joints are way different. One's okay and repairs itself, the other not so much.

#29 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

Gonna run 7 miles today...haven't ran that far in almost a month now so we'll see how it goes.

#30 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

ugh, distance runs suck so hard
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)