Special Ops Paintball: Age Discrimination? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Age Discrimination? Restaurant won't let me go there...

#1 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

I had been looking at a restaraunt at West Edmonton Mall, called the Red Piano (dueling piano bar) to take my girlfriend for her 18th birthday (drinking age in Alberta is 18).

However, when showing her the website, we discovered that the restaurant will not allow entry to anyone under 21 years of age (even if they meet the causal business dress code).

When emailed, they said that it would be alright if we came on a THURSDAY night because they are more lenient about the rule at that time. It's a bit ridiculous; my girlfriend is just finishing up high school, and so might have an exam the next day - but we have to make reservations 3-4 weeks in advance.

Is this legally age discrimination?

#2 User is offline   Eros 

• Super Serious Absurdist
  • Pip

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on Mar 8 2010, 02:17 PM, said:

Is this legally age discrimination?

That depends on what you mean by the question.

As far as I know, and I am not a lawyer (the infamous AFAIKIANAL), you can discriminate based on age for pretty much anything. Read this: http://www.albertahu...ervices/age.asp

"Age is not a protected ground in the two areas listed below. No one can make a human rights complaint based on age in these areas:

Goods, services, accommodation or facilities that are customarily available to the public:"

I think the highlighted pretty much sums it up.
Stand before the gates and watch metropolis, empires come and go we live forever.
And eternity is in your hidden eyes, take my broken wings teach me to fly again.
Down the empty streets head for the seven hills, vestal virgins dance, we steal the fire.
Battered columns stand as silent monuments, deep inside their dreams I see your memories.
I stand alone, we stand alone.
We Stand Alone ~ Covenant

#3 User is offline   Bloody Beetroot 

• Destroooooooooy!!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Toad24.5

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:38 PM

That's a bogus load of crap having to be 21 to eat at a restaurant. I could understand if it were like a strip club or something but if it's just a fancy restaurant there's no reason to not allow a person of 18 years of age inside. At 18 your legally allowed to vote, join the armed forces, smoke, and in your case, drink alcohol. You're both adults and they should let you in. You are paying customers after all :)

#4 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

When it comes to a bar/club in Canada they are pretty much free to restrict entry based on age or dress. I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll be able to find places that restrict on race and sexuality as well, though it's much harder to do.

For our Jack and Jill party we ended up going to one place. I found out AFTER I walked out that they had a dress code, "No Tee Shirts". It really pissed of the two guys in muscle shirts trying to get in. LOL
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:53 PM

Lame :( think I should push for a Friday?

That seems odd it's like saying a Taxi driver, etc. could say no deal because they don't like teenagers or old people...lacking a more serious example anyways.

What happened to egalitarianism??? :)

#6 User is offline   Eros 

• Pip

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on Mar 8 2010, 03:53 PM, said:

That seems odd it's like saying a Taxi driver, etc. could say no deal because they don't like teenagers or old people...lacking a more serious example anyways.

What happened to egalitarianism??? :)

Find a different bar, imo.

If it's 21+, you're probably not going to have anyone your age around, which sucks half of the fun out of going to a bar.
Stand before the gates and watch metropolis, empires come and go we live forever.
And eternity is in your hidden eyes, take my broken wings teach me to fly again.
Down the empty streets head for the seven hills, vestal virgins dance, we steal the fire.
Battered columns stand as silent monuments, deep inside their dreams I see your memories.

#7 User is offline   JerseyPaint 

• Jersey Fresh.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JerseyPaint

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

Nope. Restaurants can refuse certain age groups in order to maintain a "more adult" atmosphere, or for whatever reason they come up with. Some refuse just children, some refuse more than that.

Are you agitating my dots? 10%
RIP HEMP/HEMD/PbF

#8 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:37 PM

View PostEros, on Mar 8 2010, 03:57 PM, said:

What happened to egalitarianism??? :tup:

If it's 21+, you're probably not going to have anyone your age around, which sucks half of the fun out of going to a bar.

Well, the main attraction of the bar was the dueling pianos (my girlfriend is a pianist herself) and it was planned as a kind of romantic night more than "party" (just the two of us). Ah well...

#9 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on Mar 8 2010, 05:37 PM, said:

What happened to egalitarianism??? :D

Well, the main attraction of the bar was the dueling pianos (my girlfriend is a pianist herself) and it was planned as a kind of romantic night more than "party" (just the two of us). Ah well...

IMO you should completely avoid the place. Their rules 'restrict' you from going so there's two outcomes I see:
1) You bend over to their will, lose dignity and potentially have a good night
2) Feel awkward and weird the whole night because people may look down upon you for your age

Find another classy spot for your girl (I'm sure there's plenty around) and arrange something else piano-esk... whether its a custom playlist you generated of some talented musicians or a night out at a concert.

This post has been edited by CapnStank: 08 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

#10 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

View PostCapnStank, on Mar 8 2010, 11:10 PM, said:

What happened to egalitarianism??? ;)

IMO you should completely avoid the place. Their rules 'restrict' you from going so there's two outcomes I see:
2) Feel awkward and weird the whole night because people may look down upon you for your age

Find another classy spot for your girl (I'm sure there's plenty around) and arrange something else piano-esk... whether its a custom playlist you generated of some talented musicians or a night out at a concert.

I disagree respectfully. I'm 20 and there's a local bar/nightclub here called Alive In The District which is 21+. I went there for a friend's birthday and had no trouble getting in. However, You have to play by their rules, and you're not really losing any dignity. You're showing that yeah, you have to follow their rules, but it's for your girlfriend's happiness, she won't think any less of you.

I'd say see what they can do, explain the situation to them and see if they'll shift a little bit, most places do have a compassionate side. They just don't want rowdy 18 year olds (which tends to be the case) not being able to hold their alcohol and puking, getting into fights, etc.

#11 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:38 AM

I don't know about Canada...but in the US, any private business can refuse anyone service for just cause or none at all. Like it or not, you might fall under that condition. Any public business can restrict attendees based upon certain criteria [that don't violate Federal statutes].

The business [here in the US at least] has the right to conduct itself and allow its patronage to a set of standards they see as fit...to keep an "atmosphere" they wish to provide, portray and protect.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#12 User is offline   CapnStank 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CapnStank

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

View PostDigital Pirate, on Mar 9 2010, 12:45 AM, said:

View PostCapnStank, on Mar 8 2010, 11:10 PM, said:

What happened to egalitarianism??? :P

I disagree respectfully. I'm 20 and there's a local bar/nightclub here called Alive In The District which is 21+. I went there for a friend's birthday and had no trouble getting in. However, You have to play by their rules, and you're not really losing any dignity. You're showing that yeah, you have to follow their rules, but it's for your girlfriend's happiness, she won't think any less of you.

I'd say see what they can do, explain the situation to them and see if they'll shift a little bit, most places do have a compassionate side. They just don't want rowdy 18 year olds (which tends to be the case) not being able to hold their alcohol and puking, getting into fights, etc.

I don't think that your interpretation of the restaurants response is what my interpretation is... I'm not sure who's right but they way the parent described it they said it like "we don't want you here because you're younger" whereas your bar reference is more about legal limit, they're happy to have you but must abide by laws.
"Watch out for the guy with the pump, they tend to hit their target."
My BST Feedback: +3/0

#13 User is offline   Eros 

• Pip

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

View Postdruid, on Mar 9 2010, 12:38 AM, said:

I don't know about Canada...but in the US, any private business can refuse anyone service for just cause or none at all. Like it or not, you might fall under that condition. Any public business can restrict attendees based upon certain criteria [that don't violate Federal statutes].

Canada has something similiar to federal statutes.

In fact: http://www.albertahu...ca/services.asp

"Section 4 prohibits discrimination in the provision of goods, services, accommodation or facilities customarily available to the public on the basis of the following protected grounds:
  • race
  • colour
  • ancestry
  • place of origin
  • religious beliefs
  • gender (including pregnancy, sexual harassment, and gender identity)
  • physical disability
  • mental disability
  • marital status
  • family status
  • source of income
  • sexual orientation
".

#14 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

Notice that AGE isn't in there.

Keep in mind: you only have to be 16 to buy a paintball marker but many stores will not sell to you unless you are 18+. The bar is doing something similar.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#15 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:37 AM

View PostCapnStank, on Mar 9 2010, 05:32 PM, said:

I don't think that your interpretation of the restaurants response is what my interpretation is... I'm not sure who's right but they way the parent described it they said it like "we don't want you here because you're younger" whereas your bar reference is more about legal limit, they're happy to have you but must abide by laws.

I don't think you saw where I live :laugh:

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users