Special Ops Paintball: pistols, pistols, and more pistols - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pistols, pistols, and more pistols Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pblvr22574 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:roo52

Post icon  Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:20 PM

i want to get a pistol for a sidearm/primary (in some cases) and not sure what to buy i dont really care about price i am looking for one based on quality of performance. please i know someone has to know something about them. :)
i have no sig cuz im cool like that

#2 User is offline   C-F0uR 

• You exist because we allow it; you will end because we demand it
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:C-F0uR

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

I was looking at the Tac 8 for the longest time. Then Tippmann announced their new secret pistol a year ago. I bought the Tippmann TPX and their were a few issues with ball breakage, mainly due to me having 8 month old paint and it being below freezing outside. Anyway, I adjusted the regulator like a lot of people have to do with their TPX and I haven't had one single ball break going into the breach yet, all barrel breaks, because you know, 8 month old paint and all...haha. just my .02, I have the TPX and I enjoy having it on my side, but it's not bug-free, yet. But I wouldn't have it any other way.
Markers Owned: 32 Degrees Icon X (Sold) | Tippmann A5 (Sold) | Tippmann X7 serial no. 036020 (Sold) | Tippmann TPX serial no. 009351 | Soon to have Planet Eclipse Etek3
PS3 ID: Sk8ergamer
Home field: Zwackerz Paintball, VA
My Feedback

#3 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

View Postpblvr22574, on Feb 14 2010, 01:20 PM, said:

i want to get a pistol for a sidearm/primary (in some cases) and not sure what to buy i dont really care about price i am looking for one based on quality of performance. please i know someone has to know something about them. :)

here you get quality and only 99 bucks to get you started with a Tac8.
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...amp;hl=$99

#4 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

As long as you can live with the big grip, the Tiberius line of pistols are the best, hands down.

There are three major types of pistols: Blowbacks, the TPX, and Tiberius.

To me, there are a few categories to rate pistols on: Size, weight, efficiency, 12 gram changing, paint changing, accuracy/consistency.

Blowbacks:
They work similar to a Spyder. Stacked tube blowbacks. Most generally scale the internals down and move things around a little to reduce size and weight. But still, most are pretty bulky. Almost all of them have the barrel drilled directly into the body. This means you are stuck with whatever size barrel it is drilled with, and usually it's a VERY large bore. This translates to poor accuracy and efficiency, especially with paint sizes on the decrease. Speaking of efficiency, these are generally inefficient designs. Expect 20 shots, maybe a few more. The issue is that they require gas for two operations, firing the ball and recocking. They also have no regulator meaning your shots will tend to start going slower and slower as your pressure starts dropping. Basically, your first few shots will be around the same velocity, then it will steadily decrease from there on out until you can't recock. 12 gram changing varies from pistol to pistol, but most are screw caps which require you to unscrew the cap, drop a 12 gram past the threads, then rethread and tighten down the cap. It is slow and tedious. Paint changes can be done one of two ways: changing out the top spring feed tube or using 10 round tubes to refill a single spring feed tube keeping it on top. The first way is quicker, but I've found it sometimes hard to find extra spring feeds (depending on the pistol) and they are usually expensive for what you get (usually $25-30 for a metal tube with a spring and a ball pusher? A Tiberius mag is more complex and costs $40). The second way is cheaper, but sometimes cumbersome, sometimes not even an option (depends on the pistol, the Ariakon ACP, for one, cannot be reloaded except by taking the spring feed off the top, then you can either use a tube to reload it or put on a new spring feed, but by this point, reloading with a tube is far too cumbersome and slow).

Size:...........................3/5 Usually big pistols with small 45 frames. Always feel a little awkward in my hands.
Weight:.......................4/5 The pistols are not too bad, usually have plastic grip frames to save on weight.
Efficiency:...................3/5 Usually 20 shots per 12 gram. Acceptable, but nothing to rave about.
Accuracy:....................3/5 Fixed barrels are usually junk.
CO2 Changing:............2-4/5 Depends on the pistol. Lever changers are good, but hard to find quality ones. Screw caps are slow.
Paint Changing:...........3/5 With tubes it is often slow. Extra spring feeds are sometimes difficult to find and expensive for what you get.

Overall: 3/5. Some aren't bad for the price if you are just using them for a back up or an occasional primary. But for more serious use, you can do better.

TPX:
Tippmann's pistol. It was released to compete with the Tiberius line. It has a lot of potential to be good, but there are a few flaws in it's design and manufacture. It is spool valve marker, which places all of the internals in a single line. This makes the pistols smaller than the stacked tube blowback pistols. Additionally, it uses a regulator to adjust velocity. It runs at around 300 psi I think. This makes it more consistent in FPS and thus more accurate. Most I've seen get around 24 shots per 12 gram. The 12 gram is underneath the barrel and is help in by a 1/4 turn screw cap. Just like the blow backs, you need to remove the cap to change a 12 gram, but it is a 1/4 turn and it doesn't pierce the 12 gram upon screwing it down. Instead it is pierced on the first trigger pull. This greatly reduces the effort necessary to screw the cap down. Also speeds it up a little. But your 12 gram needs to be COMPLETELY empty to unscrew the cap. You'll find yourself out on the field firing blank shots to drain the 12 gram so you can put a fresh one in. Paint is housed in magazines in the grip, like a real firearm. This makes changing paint extremely easy. Push a button, drop the mag, new mag in. But the magazine suffers from a serious design flaw. The balls are staggered to cut down on the length of the mag. Al well and good, except the staggering puts extra force on the shell of the ball. If you shell isn't extremely hard, your balls dimple and often jam. This leads to chops. And lots of them. My local field's field paint is decent stuff, but the shell is just a little too weak. I've never seen a single TPX able to use the field paint without issue, and I've seen at least 7 or 8 at the field. No other guns have trouble with the paint except the TPX. In terms of construction, the TPX is a plastic body and plastic mags. It's not really cheap plastic, but it still feels cheap, chintzy, and weak. The barrel is removable, so you can put on an aftermarket barrel for better accuracy.

Size:...........................5/5 It's pretty small for a paintball pistol. Grip is proportional to the rest of the gun.
Weight:.......................5/5 It's pretty light and has good balance. But this comes at the expense of using plastic for the body and mags.
Efficiency:...................4/5 Usually 24 shots per 12 gram. Better than the blowbacks. About 3 good mags worth.
Accuracy:....................4/5 Can use aftermarket barrels, but it often chops (from what I've seen) and the accuracy goes to hell. Regulator makes it consistent.
CO2 Changing:............4/5 Faster than most blowbacks. But the inability to change a 12 gram if it has any pressure is a big turn off.
Paint Changing:...........5/5 Can't get any faster than magazines. But they are plastic.

Overall: 4/5. It could be a great pistol. But right now it's just a good pistol, if your paint works in the mags. If not it's a junk pistol and you'd be better off with a blowback. The inability to change 12 grams if they have any pressure is a huge turn off for running it as a primary (sometimes you want to top off before going into an engagement, can't do it easily with the TPX).

Tiberius:
The Tiberius line has been out for a number of years. Like the TPX, it's a spool valve meaning it is smaller than a blow back. Also has a regulator meaning better accuracy. The Tiberius pistols have the 12 gram and paint in the grip. This makes changing them extremely easy. The 12 gram is pierced via a screw that your crank down with either an allen key or you can buy a tool-free upgrade. But you need one for every magazine. There is a valve in each magazine which prevents the CO2 from leaking out the top. It only lets out air to power the pistol. When you eject the magazine, the valve seals, and you get a little puff of air that was still in the pistol. Generally, out of the box they get 24 shots. But with polishing, I can get 30-32 shots. They have removable barrels. The only aftermarket barrels available are made by Lapco, but Lapco is a great barrel company, so they are great barrels. Changing paint is quick and easy, just like the TPX. Changing CO2 is fast and easy, if you have enough magazines. If you run out of CO2 on the field, they are a pain to change 12 grams. Takes about the same amount of time as a blow back, but you'll have usually a couple mags to change CO2 in at once. If you carry enough mags so you can shoot the paint you want in game and never run out, only changing 12 grams between games, then it's a great pistol. Changing CO2 on the field is just a pain with the Tiberius. The grip on the Tiberius though is HUGE. It has to house both paint and CO2. My hands are big, so I like the feel. A Tiberius set up is going to be the most expensive. The T8.1 is cheaper than the TPX, bt each mag is $40.

Size:...........................4/5 Decent size. The gun itself isn't big, but the grip is huge. Some like it, some hate it. I like it.
Weight:.......................4/5 Not terribly heavy. The mags do add weight though. But the only thing on the gun that is plastic is the fiberglass reinforced composite grip.
Efficiency:...................4/5 Usually 24-30 shots per 12 gram. Better than the blowbacks. About 3 good mags worth.
Accuracy:....................5/5 Can use aftermarket Lapco barrels. Out of the box accuracy is good, with a Lapco it is out of this world.
CO2 Changing:............5/5 If you have enough magazines. If you have to change CO2 on the field, it is a pain.
Paint Changing:...........5/5 Can't get any faster than magazines.

Overall: 4.5/5. It's a really great pistol. Accurate, reliable. It is the most expensive option, but I feel it is the best.

View Postsousey, on Feb 14 2010, 04:36 PM, said:

I would AVOID that. You get what you pay for. It looks like a Tac 8, but it really isn't. It is designed to shoot at 350+FPS. The springs in it are different. The valve is a little different. People are having trouble adjusting velocity and getting decent efficiency. Definitely not a good choice for a beginning pistol player. Spend the extra cash and get a pistol designed with paintball in mind.

This post has been edited by Jackson: 14 February 2010 - 03:25 PM

#5 User is offline   bigandugly 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:bigandugly

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

View PostJackson, on Feb 14 2010, 02:22 PM, said:

View Postsousey, on Feb 14 2010, 04:36 PM, said:

i want to get a pistol for a sidearm/primary (in some cases) and not sure what to buy i dont really care about price i am looking for one based on quality of performance. please i know someone has to know something about them. :ghillie:

I would AVOID that. You get what you pay for. It looks like a Tac 8, but it really isn't. It is designed to shoot at 350+FPS. The springs in it are different. The valve is a little different. People are having trouble adjusting velocity and getting decent efficiency. Definitely not a good choice for a beginning pistol player. Spend the extra cash and get a pistol designed with paintball in mind.

I have to add my opinion here. Jackson is correct about it being different enough to not adjust below 350 FPS. I know, because I have 2 of them. And I also own a T8, so I know my way around the marker. Once you end up buying parts to "fix" the SA-8 down to acceptable velocities for paintball, you're probably close to the price of a standard T8.

#6 User is offline   pblvr22574 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

thanks for all your help guys i will take it all into consideration when buying. from what my friends said they wer recommending the tpx or t8 so i guess there i have it. thanks again hope to buy one sooner than soon! :welcome:

#7 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

I have a T8, and it's been a great gun. So that's what I'd go with.

#8 User is offline   Gauss 

• God. Guns. Guts.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hang on...cant I reuse the co2 tubes in the T8/9s grips after I shoot the mag out?
OFFICIAL BROADSWORD RECOGNITION NUMBER: 112
OFFICIAL SABRE RECOGNITION NUMBER: 530
God. Guns. Guts.

#9 User is offline   pblvr22574 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

View PostGauss II, on Feb 15 2010, 08:28 PM, said:

Hang on...cant I reuse the co2 tubes in the T8/9s grips after I shoot the mag out?

now that you mention it u do make a good point.

#10 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

View PostGauss II, on Feb 15 2010, 09:28 PM, said:

Yeah, you can. There's a valve in the mag that seals the 12 gram off. You can fire 24-30 rounds per 12 gram.

#11 User is offline   Gauss 

• God. Guns. Guts.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:51 PM

View PostJackson, on Feb 15 2010, 10:26 PM, said:

Yeah, you can. There's a valve in the mag that seals the 12 gram off. You can fire 24-30 rounds per 12 gram.

Would one have to manually use the valve to seal the gram off? Or is it automatic?
OFFICIAL BROADSWORD RECOGNITION NUMBER: 112
OFFICIAL SABRE RECOGNITION NUMBER: 530
God. Guns. Guts.

#12 User is offline   Stonedog 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

My Sa-8 shoots consistently at 280.....

#13 User is offline   raptorbite 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:raptorbite

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

View PostGauss II, on Feb 16 2010, 05:51 PM, said:

View PostJackson, on Feb 15 2010, 10:26 PM, said:

Would one have to manually use the valve to seal the gram off? Or is it automatic?

automatic.You just release the mag and your good to put another in.Or if you want you can reload it with a ten round tube and shove it back in.
I miss the old days of sword beach and such

#14 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

View PostJackson, on Feb 14 2010, 03:22 PM, said:

Jackson, AWESOME info but I am pretty sure you are incorrect about the SA-8 velocity, I don't have one but I have read that it's just a Tac 8 with a paint job to it. and ALLOT of people picking these up are just simply turning the velocity down.
but again, i do not have a SA-8 but was tempted to get one just for the mags. please don't take just my word for it, check on the Tiberius forum...there is plenty of talk about these who have them.

http://forums.tiberi...s.com/index.php

#15 User is offline   p8blr 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:pbrules15

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

Goblin Launcher FTW!

Perhaps somewhat impractical if you were more than fifteen feet from your opponent, and couldn't hit him with one shot. But still, it looks awesome.

LINKY

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users