#16 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

View PostRathje, on Jan 4 2010, 12:37 AM, said:

One thing Jackson...

I'm fairly new to the sport, and this is just what I've heard around, but I've heard a lot of people saying that since Kingman switched its product line to industry-standard parts and measurements, the guns haven't been that bad. I've heard the Spyder Electra compared very favorably with the Azodin Blitz, and Smart Parts Vibe. Seems to be a pretty good low-level electric gun actually (for those of us who don't want to break $500.00 on a paintball gun).

Industry standard? Like still using metric threads when virtually no one else does?

You can get very good paintball markers for under $500 that aren't Spyders.

#17 User is offline   Rathje 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rathje

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

No, what I heard is that with their 2009 product line, Kingman stopped using metric. They use the same industry-standard measurements that everyone else does now. The only thing they've kept unique is the Spyder-threaded barrels (which I guess makes sense).

So, for example, you can mount a standard ASA on a 2009 Spyder. Same with regulators, etc.

A lot of guys over on the TechPB forums are talking about this.

#18 User is offline   Rathje 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

And of course, I'd go with an Invert Mini or Dangerous Power G3 before I'd go with the Electra if the price limit was under $500.00. Or maybe a Proto SLG UL, or Matrix Rail.

I'd probably actually pick the Vibe or Blitz over the Electra too. But it seems to be about equal with those two guns from the reviews I've read.

Just repeating the buzz I've heard elsewhere.

#19 User is offline   edtoro 

• Street Ghost Urban Camo User.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsDrake

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

I recently bought a RAP4 stock for my Spyder 06 Pilot just to be able to use it on woodsball... thats as far as Im going. Point is people Spyder makes the DOO DOOtiest resale markes on the market... they sell those pilots at 275 package in stores and sites... they are worthless on ebay. People dont want them. Theyre perfect entry level markers but not for the price you pay. My mother got tricked by my local store into buying this instead of a 32 Degrees or an Ion with the exact aforementioned price... I only recommend buying one dirt cheap off ebay or some dude that wants to get rid of it ASAP and use it as youre spare for when friends come along or for your spouses.
Posted Image

Official Saber Recognition Group:#796
Furthermore - if you are "deuce-ing" during a game, you have more things to worry about than camo kneepads. - ger
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

#20 User is offline   Gauss 

• God. Guns. Guts.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:32 AM

Just get a barrel or some other gun, dont waste your money on upgrading a Spyder
OFFICIAL BROADSWORD RECOGNITION NUMBER: 112
OFFICIAL SABRE RECOGNITION NUMBER: 530
God. Guns. Guts.

#21 User is offline   kingcheese 

• your face
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:cheesepoof

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:49 AM

my freind uped a spyder and now it can do around 25bps, i think it was a waste of money

i have owned two spyders, the firstone was the older style piolot, cost me $20 bucks and it worked, the second i traded my 98custom(witch was entirely stock) for a older style imagine and around 80 dollars, the only good thing about a spyder is that you can buy them for dirt cheap after some poor soul decides to get the biggest piece of junk on the market, then you can keep throwning junk parts in it and expect it to work

my freind spent wel over 200 dollars makeing his spyder work, and over 800 makeing his 98custom work, i spent 20 dollars on one gun, ran it into the ground, got another one on a trade, and got a halo b v35 with ripdrive, ran that into the ground opened both up and got another gun out of the parts

but i must say that no spyder wil ever truely be worth more then about 50 bucks, cheap design, heavy, lots of recoil, and upgrades are more expensive then the upgrades for other markers in the same price range

it is up to you to decide, honestly i don't care what you choose because, after all, it's not my money
offical saber #137
if we cant do it, then it doesnt need to be done

#22 User is offline   Quickened 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Michael M. AkA Quickened

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:46 PM

I've owned four markers, two spyders and two tippmanns, I like em both and have never wanted anything fancier. My first choice marker is always the spyder its a 98 TL plus, only upgrades I've added has been the q loader and a rocking trigger, needed a new sear anyways, so I guess I wouldn't drop alot into a spyder or a tippmann unless of course it turns your marker into something you can't wait to get on the field with. as stated earlier its your money and your marker do what YOU want!
Better-B-Ready or not here I come...

#23 User is offline   aslanprime 

• Tippmann Slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASLANPRIME

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

View Postpsycho91, on Oct 28 2009, 02:07 PM, said:

ok i was wondering if upgrading a spyder is worth it, yes i know they are considered beginer markers and considered a peice of junk, but i want a marker that isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg and that the parts aernt outragessly expensive if something breaks, that seems to happen every time i get something close to a high end so i want something cheap, i was looking at getting a vs1 and making it all tactical, and then go mow some faces with it in speedball, because im psycho and can do that, any way any help with this would be most appreciated

I don't know about upgrading your Spyder and suddenly you'll be "mowing faces"...but I do disagree with most in here as I think upgrading your Spyder is not only beneficial, but essential. The Spyder is an entry level marker. You need to learn on that marker not just how to play, but how to maintain a marker. Upgrading it not only allows it to function better, but more importantly it teaches you about the different parts of the marker and how it works. Too many kids show up to fields these days with no ability to do anything to their markers other than take the barrel off. I had a Spyder for 7 years...upgraded everything on it, barrels, bolts, springs...and to this day it shoots like a dream. But more important than what the upgrade does for the performance, each upgrade allowed me to learn more and more about the internals of the marker. Now, in the rare case I do have a problem, I can fix it in minutes and be ready to go.

And the whole cost arguement has holes in it. How much money do players sink into Tippmanns to make them look like M16s? Most of those upgrades are very expensive and do nothing to add to performance.

That's my take anyways.
Proto Matrix PM5, Toxic trigger, Shocktech clamping feedneck, Virtue Board, CP On/Off, Dye Dm4 Sticky Grips, 12" Long Shot barrel
Automaggot #26 MY WEBPAGE MY FEEDBACK GUNS FOR SALE MY BRIGADE PAGE CHEAPEST PAINTBALLS ONLINE

#24 User is offline   Rathje 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:58 AM

That's not a bad point aslanprime.

I've got a Spyder MR-1 I bought off eBay for 70.00 used. It's been a hassle. First I had to replace the feedneck with an angled clamping feedneck. Then I went for a new barrel. Then I learned the detents are fragile and bought some spares for that. Then I couldn't get the velocity down to safe levels and had to cut my spring (I'll probably have to buy a spring kit soon), then a screw snapped in half on "ASA" so I'll probably need a drop forward and new ASA. But to do that, I'll probably have to get a different hose arrangement (to fit a new ASA) - and to do that, I'll probably want to buy an upped regulator/expansion chamber (if it fits on an MR-1).... how much money we talking about at this point?

Or I could do what I always think I should have done in the first place - and get an Azodin Kaos (or Blitz).

But the point about having a gun to learn on isn't bad really. The big problem is that older Spyders are not easily upgraded. They have industry non-standard fittings. So am I even going to be able to find an expansion chamber that fits my Spyder for example?

When the Azodin Kaos is only selling for $89.00 new - with industry standard measurements, it's hard to justify keeping an old Spyder MR-1 - even if the base mechanics of the gun are admittedly solid.

#25 Guest_Schecter_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

I upgrade spyders as a hobby. Doing all sorts of mods, seeing how much and how far I can push blowbacks.
Upgrading a spyder is going to cost you more and give you more headaches than if you just bought a new gun.

Firstly, the belief that "I can buy the upgrades one at a time" is a lie. You have to redo the internals all at once or the gun won't function right. you can't put in a new valve without a new VA, new reg, and a spring kit. you can't put in a lighter bolt or striker without a new valve and main spring.

Even if you order all the parts at once balancing the gun and getting it working right is quite a long process. Then, if you're looking for performance(and not something to do on weekdays) then you are going to be disappointed in the end.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users