• This topic is locked

Off Road Trucks, Jeeps, ATVs, Dirtbikes, Rhinos and the occasional 72 Chevelle

#16 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

Yea, when you get yer commssion you'll be able to build it up in one year...
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#17 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

• Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

got it, doing it. I'm just poor until TDY money comes in, that's all.

While we're on the subject, what's a good first step in off-road-izing what's basically a mommy-missile? I mean it's got all kinds of potential, but.... it's a soccer mobile right now.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight

#18 User is offline   CptObvious 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

Cheap wise? Well, kinda cheap...lift (you can get a body lift for it until you get the money for a suspension lift), shocks and bigger tires, which means bigger brakes.
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#19 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SKC 1.5

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

My off-roader as it stands right now:

Posted Image

Pretty sickly looking, and it's not near the best highway commute right now, because of the fact that it has the FE3 SOHC engine, which delivers a whopping 94 HP and the 235/60R-15 tires are not off-road worthy by any means. It handles the beach and the local Coos Bay and Florence dunes very well in a high-geared 4WD, though, which was quite suprising. Don't let the looks decieve you, you put a 4" lift and good tires on it, and you'll go everywhere anybody else in a jeep can go and maybe even better.

It's not going stay in this condition for more than a month, as I'm currently fabricating a new tube winch bumper for the front and a tube bumper for the back. Currently, the ball joints in the IFS can not take more than 4" of lift, since the angle will destroy them in no time; I'm going to take the whole suspension off and see if my uncle could make long travel suspension componets for it, since he does it for a living. If that falls through, I could just put the lift kit on it for $315. The rear axle takes TJ springs, so I just have to fabricate some brackets for any aftermarket shocks that I want to use if I want to go above 4" of lift, and beef up the linkage to match the front. If the long travel falls through, I could just buy a 4" lift kit for $315, but that's no as fun!

The engine MUST be changed, also. I can get a DOHC version of the same engine for $650 with about 90K miles on it; the DOHC engine has 50 more horsepower than my current engine and better fuel economy. Make a new exhaust system, a cold air intake or snorkel to the engine along with an electric fan, and you'll create a at least 15-20 more HP.

So compiling my list of things to make/buy:
new engine - 650 + shipping
fabricated exhaust - 250 at most
fabricated snorkel or cold air intake - 75
front winch bumper - 100
back bumper - 100, maybe less.
smittybuilt XRC8 winch - 300
4" lift kit if the long travel suspension falls through - 315
31X10.50-15 TSL radials - 607

total: $2397
I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#20 User is offline   Thumper113 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace0rz

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:33 PM

im getting super swampers in octocber!!!!
Special Ops Paintball Elite - Earned at Living Legends 3
Paintball Explosion
FTP inc.

#21 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

Anybody here ever wanted to compete in some off road racing like the Baja 1000?
I proudly endorse:
Bob Long Markers - Empire Loaders and Apparel- Hybrid Apparel - Ninja Air Systems - VForce Masks

U.S. Navy AIRR

#22 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

we have two honda 350 ranchers. one green, one red. they are for the hunting lease we're in, but we go down to the spillway every few weeks and ride em theres. lotta fun. lotta scenery and one BIG straigh away for, you know, goin fast!
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#23 User is offline   CptObvious 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

View PostSKC, on Sep 29 2009, 07:39 PM, said:

I'm going to start out with the Baja 250 and work my way up. I really want to do the Dakar (which is now not in Africa...but still). If I was staying here in Vegas, I'd continue to build up my truck for desert racing (since most of it is all ready done, just needs mo mods).
US Air Force
Posted Image
[/b]

#24 User is offline   Gravdigr 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gravdigr

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

I used to be into off-roading heavy, mainly rock crawling. Problem was when I had the time I didn't have the money, and when I had the money I didn't have the time. I have a half finished '77 fullsize blazer sitting out back. Put 5" suspension lift on it, new tub in the back, front floorpans, custom rear bumper (I made it), pro comp es 9000 extended length shocks, ford front shock towers, pro comp braided stainless brake lines. I had a jasper 350 sbc in it but had to put in my DD 86 blazer because that motor was all done. I kinda gave up the dedicated trailer it where you want to ride project and am trying to sell it. All it needs is a drivetrain and paint job.

I'm now working on my '86 blazer keeping it street legal. It has the afore mentioned 350 sbc, edelbrock performer aluminum intake, edelbrock performer 750 cfm 4bbl carb, hooker headers, 2 1/2" exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers, 33x12.50 r15 sidewinder M/Ts, convertable soft top. It still has the 1/2 ton axles but I have a set of 4.10 3/4 ton axles with a 14 bolt gov lock rear. I also have a manual tranny with the np205 gear drive transfer case I need to install. I want to put on 4" of suspension lift, rebuild the axles and switch to rear disc brakes with a driveline e-brake, new cv driveshafts, fab some custom bumpers and it needs body work.

It also has an alpine stereo system with a modest700w Amp running a pair of 6 1/4" sony xplod speakers in front, a pair of kenwood 6"x9"s in the back and a TiS 10" sub in a box.

#25 User is offline   SKC 

• So Others May Live.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

View PostCptObvious, on Sep 30 2009, 01:19 PM, said:

View PostSKC, on Sep 29 2009, 07:39 PM, said:

I'm going to start out with the Baja 250 and work my way up. I really want to do the Dakar (which is now not in Africa...but still). If I was staying here in Vegas, I'd continue to build up my truck for desert racing (since most of it is all ready done, just needs mo mods).

Thats awesome, I'm also building up my rig for desert races and the sand dunes around here. I have a person who can make a long travel kit for my Kia now, and I know some places where I can get a ford 9" rear differential to put in the back.. What tires are you planning on using out there?

I've been inspired by this guy here. The only thing I want to do different is to have alot more travel in both the front and doubly so in the rear.
I proudly endorse:

U.S. Navy AIRR

#26 User is offline   CptObvious 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

Tires aren't really my forte. I'd have to research 'em and decide, but thats a long ways off. I might just sell this bad boy and go blue and start from the ground up. My gf has enough fricken tools and stock to build what we need. I want to buy a ranger again and build it up. I had a 91 before I joined the AF and had a modest 2" body lift on it and stuffed some 30" BFG all terrains under it. I miss that thing. :wub: Had such a strong V6. (Too bad my brother has since destroyed it).

And that is one badass Kia. Makes me want to steal it. haha
US Air Force
Posted Image
[/b]

#27 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I3agels

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:49 PM

I want to buy a Jeep Cherokee. My plans are to put a 4-6.5 inch lift on it with 33x10.5 bfg mud terrain km2's

Any advice?

This post has been edited by BAGELS: 01 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

THE INVISI-SIG!
I have no sig, because I am cool like that.
I love my phantom, because it is cool like that....schweet

#28 User is offline   CptObvious 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

Just remember you'll have to put more on when you lift it and slap on some big rubber. Brakes, lines, etc. Take your time, too...don't rush when building it.
US Air Force
Posted Image
[/b]

#29 User is offline   CptObvious 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:31 AM

So I was driving to the front gate earlier tonight on my lunch break. A turbo'd dodge neon pulled behind me on the way there. At the gate we have a light...and he pulled up next to me. We had a little pissing contest, and the light turned green. Put the pedal all the way down and fricken roared down the road and beat him to the next light, 3/4mi away. =D My 30yr old, 4WD, 3/4 ton truck beat out a fancy arse neon. yay. haha.
US Air Force
Posted Image
[/b]

#30 User is offline   Gravdigr 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gravdigr

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

View PostCptObvious, on Oct 2 2009, 03:31 AM, said:

So I was driving to the front gate earlier tonight on my lunch break. A turbo'd dodge neon pulled behind me on the way there. At the gate we have a light...and he pulled up next to me. We had a little pissing contest, and the light turned green. Put the pedal all the way down and fricken roared down the road and beat him to the next light, 3/4mi away. =D My 30yr old, 4WD, 3/4 ton truck beat out a fancy arse neon. yay. haha.

lol, I had a guy do this in a probe. I was in my rustbucket '71 chevelle. What the other driver didn't know was I had the 350 sbc mentioned in my earlier post with the 750cfm 4bbl carb, headers and dual 2 1/2" exhaust connected to a 2 speed powerglide tranny. The powerglide had a shift kit in it and under full throttle could run first gear to 70mph before shifting into second. I smoked him and got to 125mph before my front end got unstable and I had to back off.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users