Ion VS. SP1 Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Sep 22 2009, 12:37 PM, said:

Ions are notorious for breaking, Because the owners don't take care of them. and low quality to keep the cost low and get the kids out of the woods and onto the tourney field. The SP-1 is water proof, and can be upgraded to shoot just as fast as an Ion because it is in fact, the milsim replacement Ion.. Besides ROF caps are becoming all the rage especially since they are the rules at all tourney events....and restrictions placed on fields by their insurance companies.. I'd go with the SP-1. I had an Ion, yea it was a good gun, but the SP-1 seems to have a lot more potential.

Fixed to include correct information.

View Postpvt. Leonard L. Church, on Sep 22 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

also, i find the ion to be cheep.
Hrm...compared to..what?
Please say Tippmann - because Tippmanns are so expensively built, right? Can you say zinc infused, pot metal/aluminum alloy? Try anodizing a Tippmann lately?

i said the sp1 was more vesatile because it could run well on CO2...

I just love teaching the misinformed.....

The Ion can run it too. Problem is, you actually have to read the manual to find that out [or better yet, read that yellow sticker that crosses the asa when you get it new]....not listen to unintelligent morons on those larger, unmoderated, play-school type "other" forums......

Really......people need to read their marker manuals to know what they are talking about or at least...ask those of us who do...

This post has been edited by druid: 22 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#17 User is offline   TOT Shadow Company 

• TOT Sniper/Scout
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:TOT Shadow Company

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

Gulp...LOL...Nice one druid

#18 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

The Ion can only run anti-siphoned C02...and yes the ROF caps is what I was referring to...its not really a ROF cap if YOU choose to turn your gun down...its just you turning your gun down then...:laugh: Basically you repeated what I said when you said you "taught the misinformed" Also I don't think having your bolt snap in half is due to poor maintenance, I think that one falls under the manufacturer's area, along with a cracked gripframe, and being very aggravating to disassemble. However with the SP-1 I haven't heard of any bolts snapping, gripframes cracking, you can use regular C02, it's waterproof, submergible even, can't chop paint, and heavily upgradeable just like the Ion. Also the SP-1 is actually in fact the milsim replacement of the Vibe. The SP-8 is the milsim replacement of the Ion simply because it WAS an Ion in a different body. This is a different gun all together. And you're right, teaching the uninformed IS fun. ;)

#19 User is offline   RealtorTommy 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

The SP-1 can run up the BPS race if you buy the Blackheart version. With most fields capping the BPS rates a stock SP-1 can run with the best. I never have had a ball break from chopping. There's some tricks to run the SP-1 correctly on CO2 and they are listed in that little book you get in the box with the marker.

All of the Deadlywind Ion bodies on their site are BOB.

To those who bash the Ion...bash away as everyone likes something different but you can't take away from the ION anything as it a solid base marker that can be upgraded with little funds into a fire breathing marker.
FLORIDA GUNKINGS

#20 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:59 PM

View Postdruid, on Sep 22 2009, 10:48 PM, said:

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Sep 22 2009, 12:37 PM, said:

Ions are notorious for breaking, Because the owners don't take care of them. and low quality to keep the cost low and get the kids out of the woods and onto the tourney field. The SP-1 is water proof, and can be upgraded to shoot just as fast as an Ion because it is in fact, the milsim replacement Ion.. Besides ROF caps are becoming all the rage especially since they are the rules at all tourney events....and restrictions placed on fields by their insurance companies.. I'd go with the SP-1. I had an Ion, yea it was a good gun, but the SP-1 seems to have a lot more potential.

Fixed to include correct information.

View Postpvt. Leonard L. Church, on Sep 22 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

also, i find the ion to be cheep.
Hrm...compared to..what?
Please say Tippmann - because Tippmanns are so expensively built, right? Can you say zinc infused, pot metal/aluminum alloy? Try anodizing a Tippmann lately?

i said the sp1 was more vesatile because it could run well on CO2...

I just love teaching the misinformed.....

The Ion can run it too. Problem is, you actually have to read the manual to find that out [or better yet, read that yellow sticker that crosses the asa when you get it new]....not listen to unintelligent morons on those larger, unmoderated, play-school type "other" forums......

Really......people need to read their marker manuals to know what they are talking about or at least...ask those of us who do...

actualy, im not a fan of tippmann. compared to what? im not sure. but i have seen several ions that have had internal problems. like the banjo fittings breaking when being aired up. i saw that twice. ive seen a few feed-necks break off. ironicaly, i run an sp8 (which is practicaly a really heavy ion) and have no problems. its not that i am mis informed. its that i have seen alot happen. i like the ion. its a good marker dont get me wrong, but i have seen them break easily like that.

maybe you should not go around calling people misinformed with out knowing their reason for saying something. also, this is the only forum i am. i read the manual a few times before taking my sp8 out of the box. i do not appreciate being called a moron thanks.

This post has been edited by pvt. Leonard L. Church: 23 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#21 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

View PostHeadshotPhantom, on Sep 23 2009, 07:04 PM, said:

The Ion can only run anti-siphoned C02...and yes the ROF caps is what I was referring to...its not really a ROF cap if YOU choose to turn your gun down...its just you turning your gun down then... :P Basically you repeated what I said when you said you "taught the misinformed"

Well, that's not what you wrote. If you mean to say something in particular, please be a little more specific. My old science teacher said it best: "say what you mean and mean what you say."

Also I don't think having your bolt snap in half is due to poor maintenance, I think that one falls under the manufacturer's area,
Of course, that could fall under three categories:
1. Manufacturer defect in construction
2. Assembly defect in manufacture [not necessarily a SP thing here....aka - outsourcing]
3. User related issue.

Now 1 or 2 is really no fault to the owner.
#3 however, can encompass so many things. The user set the speed faster than recommended...they didn't lube it properly or enough...they skipped it across the floor during maintenance regiments.
along with a cracked gripframe, and being very aggravating to disassemble.
Cracked where? From what? I'm SURE they didn't send it out of the store that way. Was this new or bought used?
However with the SP-1 I haven't heard of any bolts snapping, gripframes cracking, you can use regular C02, it's waterproof, submergible even, can't chop paint, and heavily upgradeable just like the Ion. Also the SP-1 is actually in fact the milsim replacement of the Vibe. The SP-8 is the milsim replacement of the Ion simply because it WAS an Ion in a different body. This is a different gun all together. And you're right, teaching the uninformed IS fun. ;)

Well, here's egg on my face :P you are correct, it's the vibe, not the ion...got SP1 and SP8 mixed up. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

View Postpvt. Leonard L. Church, on Sep 23 2009, 09:59 PM, said:

actualy, im not a fan of tippmann. compared to what? im not sure. but i have seen several ions that have had internal problems. like the banjo fittings breaking when being aired up.
Well like I said, most issues are user-inspired ones.
A broken banjo on air up means hat someone cracked it when they tightened it too much.

i saw that twice. ive seen a few feed-necks break off.
I've seen this on so many marker types it's not funny. I saw this kid snap off a PRESSED IN autococker feed neck already. I myself have snapped off at LEAST 4 feed necks on 3 different markers NOT my ions....so feed neck damage isn't something indigenous to the Ion.
ironicaly, i run an sp8 (which is practicaly a really heavy ion) and have no problems. its not that i am mis informed. its that i have seen alot happen. i like the ion. its a good marker dont get me wrong, but i have seen them break easily like that.
The Ion just doesn't "break" on its own. More often than not, the person using it, the person they loaned it to, the person it was bought off - did something to cause it or was the catalyst for it happening to you [meaning the person it happened to].
maybe you should not go around calling people misinformed with out knowing their reason for saying something. also, this is the only forum i am. i read the manual a few times before taking my sp8 out of the box. i do not appreciate being called a moron thanks.

If you are feeling some kind of weight for my sticking up for an overly abused marker...and pointing the finger at the MOST OFTEN CAUSE of those issues people keep ragging about - that's a little on the "too bad" side.

The simple fact is that most marker issues start with the user....and MOST have every excuse in the world why it WASN'T something they did....or the previous owner did....They screw around with board settins, not knowing what the Heck they are doing.....or without any other upgrades.....and right away the marker's 'junk' or 'broken.' In fact, they caused the very problem they are whining about.

You may not go on many forums outside this one....but I moderate an Ion forum. Since that forum is dedicated SOLELY for this marker...and the fact I've owned no less than 5 of them since they FIRST came out...provides me with more information than the 'average Joe." This is the most frequent set of issues facing the marker on order of [most] frequency:

1. Bolt won't move or moves like 1/4" and sounds like "thuk thuk"
Answer - Because they didn't upgrade the marker, replace the bolt, added a substandard QEV and dropped the dwell to a ridiculously low number.
2. Won't boot up -
A - Because they left the battery in the grip and the board drained it overnight.
A - Because they yanked the battery out of the grip, tearing one of the battery clip wires off.
3. Massive leak out the back or it won't fire at all
A - Because they took the noid apart and reassembled it wrong.
3. Leak out the barrel -
A - Didn't lube the front bolt ORing or it needs replacement
4. Shots inconsistent and gets slower each shot
A - their dwell is too low, they added a SP360, their tank pin is blocked and have to unscrew it a half turn, they didn't break in that brand new reg they just slapped on, they used an LP tank reg or inline reg.......

............trust me when I say, 99.99% of these issues are user-created.

Cracked frames? Never heard of it......doesn't mean it didn't or can't happen but I'll tell you what - I took a hell of a fall up at Skirmish back in 05 [06 maybe?] WITH my brand new, not even upgraded Ion [sans the barrel] and smashed the side of the grip on a boulder. Not a rock...this pebble was 5 feet across and 4 feet out of the ground. Big gash in the frame? Yep. Dented? yep. Powder coat ruined? absolutely.....Cracked? Not even close....

And the banjos - have you really ever inspected one? Of any design? Remove one and look inside the threaded shaft. Look how thin that shaft wall really is. The same applies to the one on my Cyclone. When SP says "tighten it until it stops and then STOP......they mean it. Anything harder and you crack it or snap it off completely.

I'm not saying the Ion's an Angel or AutoMag but geeze....if you don't take care of your gear [properly]...or someone else ruins it before you get it..that's not the fault of the marker OR the manufacturer....

.....And there is something known as "wear and tear" parts. Your bikes have it, my truck has it, your computers have it. Things don't last forever like people expect them to.

This post has been edited by druid: 24 September 2009 - 05:43 PM

Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#22 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

simply saying from experience. i dont think its a bad marker. i never said that. i said it was cheep. now, i do not know the past of these markers, ill give you that. i just made an assumption.
and like i said, i run an sp8. it practicaly IS an ion.

i was wrong to assume the quality of the parts. ill admit to that.
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users