Just thought I'd post here about my latest project which I am calling the P.O.C.-1. The main idea behind the project was to take the cheapest Piece of crap that I could find and through a few upgrades, turn it into a decent and viable marker.
So, here is what I came up with, some of my friends advised me to get a cheap used '98 and upgrade that. Two reason why I did not do that, first...it's way too easy...the '98 is very easy to upgrade and the project would be finished with buying a kit and painting it. Secondly, the '98 is not a JUNK off the line and while a used one may need attention, this is really not what the project is about.
I came up with two possibilities, firstly the was the TAC-5 Recon, available for around 40 bucks and even in camo, doing part of my work for me right there (as yes I intend to either paint the marker OD Green or camo it). Second was the Brass Eagle T-Storm, I found a re-manufactured model for about 20 bucks.
After checking reviews of both models I ended up going with the T-Storm as I felt the Recon was actually not all that bad of a marker and the T-Storm being half the price was appealing to me. Plus, the T-Storm I felt had some good potential, it has a off set feed neck so that I would be able to use a scope with it, it's a Referb which, in my experience, I've found is a good thing as most of the kinks end up being fixed or repaired by an actual person. Also, it takes Spyder threaded barrels which is a bonus as there are fairly cheap APEX spyder barrels available. Also, most of the reviews described the marker as tough and solid albeit a bit heavy.
So, I quickly ordered one up along with a few other little options....
- Rainmaker T-Storm (Referb): 20.00
- Bottle of Paintball Oil (stories are that you want to lube the T-Storm first thing): 1.50
- APEX BT-16, 16 inch Barrel: 40.00
- Empire Grips: 10.00
- BT Fixed Sight Rail: 12.00
- 12 Inch Microline & push-on adapters: 11.00
- Gun Sling: 4.00
- AK-47 Style Expansion Chamber: 40.00 (already had this but that was the original price)
Well, that's it for now...when I get everything in I'll start taking some pics of the project to show how it's going. My next step will most likely be to replace the bolt and cocking pin but I want to see it in action first. More later...
EDIT: Please do not dodge swear filter
This post has been edited by The Stuntman: 19 August 2009 - 11:00 AM