Special Ops Paintball: .50 Caliber - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

.50 Caliber The new standard?

#76 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

  • Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 433
  • Joined: 27-February 06

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

Several manufacturers have been trying to figure out ways to capture more of the "outlaw" market. 75% of paintball players never set foot on an official, organized paintball field. They play in their back yards, in the woods, or wherever they can find the space. Obvious limitations to this type of play - paint (where to get it and how to have enough), air (not too many people can fill HPA or CO2 in their backyards), and safety - no official refs or insurance.

Now, the manufacturers can't do anything about the last part, but we all saw Tippman's propane-marker - a proof of concept, definitely - but also directed more at those players who don't have access to direct air supplies. .50 Caliber paint is the same thing - you can fit a heck of a lot more paint into a box, sell it to the outlaw players, and let them go to town.

Like Propane, I don't think you'll see this enter into organized paintball in any major way, but the business of the sport will continue to try to find ways to market to that "silent majority" - good as an analogy as I can think of - those players that aren't the ones that we see on the weekends at our local fields, but do represent a huge potential revenue stream for the manufacturers.
0

#77 User is offline   Lao Yan Qiang 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 23-February 07

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:40 AM

Update from Smart Parts

Update from GI Milsim
0

#78 User is offline   Pirate 

  • I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,592
  • Joined: 17-February 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Fight Four Oh!
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:03 AM

Yeah, I'll wait until a third party tests it. I can make a video to say my Bob Long can shoot 10000 shots off a 45/45 too.

Watched the video again. Way to test it against a Tippmann (who we know aren't the most efficient), as well as a G3 (again, air hog).

This post has been edited by Pirate: 04 September 2009 - 02:09 AM

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83
0

#79 User is offline   Minnesota Sn1p3r 

  • Back on the Attack!
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 362
  • Joined: 26-September 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Market, MN
  • Brigade Name:MN Sn1p3r

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

Ehh, we shouldn't change the standard, im just fine with .68 ;)
"Its better to out-think your enemy than to out-fight them" - Sun Tzu

"I dont like paying for the same realestate twice" - General George S. Patton
0

#80 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

  • that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,577
  • Joined: 24-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

View PostPirate, on Sep 4 2009, 05:03 AM, said:

Watched the video again. Way to test it against a Tippmann (who we know aren't the most efficient), as well as a G3 (again, air hog).


Yeah... I'd like to see the difference between their gun and like a borg. I have a feeling it won't be much.

Either way, what does it matter? Most fields have air all day anyways. If all they have is efficiency, then its not worth it, at all.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...
0

#81 User is offline   Tim Burton 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 192
  • Joined: 01-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ - USA

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:54 PM

View Postd4rkmonkey, on Sep 4 2009, 07:52 PM, said:

View PostPirate, on Sep 4 2009, 05:03 AM, said:

Watched the video again. Way to test it against a Tippmann (who we know aren't the most efficient), as well as a G3 (again, air hog).


Yeah... I'd like to see the difference between their gun and like a borg. I have a feeling it won't be much.

Either way, what does it matter? Most fields have air all day anyways. If all they have is efficiency, then its not worth it, at all.


Well, if you look at their Youtube links, you will see they have an accuracy demo. How much of a real world test it is, I don't know.

Fake Edit:


Here it is.
0

#82 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

  • that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,577
  • Joined: 24-February 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

I'd like to know what paint they used

Also, when you're looking at the comparison with the mini, it seems like the general grouping is about the same, but it has a few odd balls. Either way, I haven't had any problems with accuracy with .68 cal paint. I've never taken a shot and thought, "Damn, if I was 25% more accurate I could've hit him!".
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...
0

#83 User is offline   Lao Yan Qiang 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 111
  • Joined: 23-February 07

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

I want to see a comparison with the guns bore sighted on a 150 foot target. Then we will see how much difference in accuracy and drop there is. 70 feet doesn't tell you much about anything. Until proven otherwise, you will never convince me that a .50 cal ball will travel as far as a .68 unless they weigh the same amount, which I doubt these do.

A simple principle of ballistic flight.

This means that mass is the main determinant of carrying power and is the reason that artillery shells go further than rifle bullets even when the latter are fired at higher velocities. For a particular muzzle velocity and firing elevation angle the heavier shell will always go further (unless its shape and steadiness are significantly inferior).
0

#84 User is offline   MurderDeathKill 

  • Spot 31
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,100
  • Joined: 03-March 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Enid, OK
  • Brigade Name:MurderDeathKill

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

View PostLao Yan Qiang, on Sep 5 2009, 08:53 AM, said:

I want to see a comparison with the guns bore sighted on a 150 foot target. Then we will see how much difference in accuracy and drop there is. 70 feet doesn't tell you much about anything. Until proven otherwise, you will never convince me that a .50 cal ball will travel as far as a .68 unless they weigh the same amount, which I doubt these do.

A simple principle of ballistic flight.

This means that mass is the main determinant of carrying power and is the reason that artillery shells go further than rifle bullets even when the latter are fired at higher velocities. For a particular muzzle velocity and firing elevation angle the heavier shell will always go further (unless its shape and steadiness are significantly inferior).

Not necessarily when you start accounting for drag -- but still yes, in this case, I'm pretty sure (without consulting my textbook) that the .68 rounds go farther -- cuz while there's less drag on the .50, the drag has exponentially higher effect over time.

Screw physics -- aeronautics says that the .68 still wins out. I'll switch if and when I have no other options, until then -- screw this.
Go Yoda -- I didn't order that!
Posted Image
T-6 A Texan II -- Vance AFB -- 71OTG Ghostriders -- 8FTS Ballers -- Cobra Flight
0

#85 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

  • always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,381
  • Joined: 06-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:19 PM

Yep. MDK, you win the thread. Screw this.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback
0

#86 User is offline   Tim Burton 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 192
  • Joined: 01-July 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ - USA

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:05 PM

View PostMurderDeathKill, on Sep 19 2009, 12:23 PM, said:

View PostLao Yan Qiang, on Sep 5 2009, 08:53 AM, said:

I want to see a comparison with the guns bore sighted on a 150 foot target. Then we will see how much difference in accuracy and drop there is. 70 feet doesn't tell you much about anything. Until proven otherwise, you will never convince me that a .50 cal ball will travel as far as a .68 unless they weigh the same amount, which I doubt these do.

A simple principle of ballistic flight.

This means that mass is the main determinant of carrying power and is the reason that artillery shells go further than rifle bullets even when the latter are fired at higher velocities. For a particular muzzle velocity and firing elevation angle the heavier shell will always go further (unless its shape and steadiness are significantly inferior).

Not necessarily when you start accounting for drag -- but still yes, in this case, I'm pretty sure (without consulting my textbook) that the .68 rounds go farther -- cuz while there's less drag on the .50, the drag has exponentially higher effect over time.

Screw physics -- aeronautics says that the .68 still wins out. I'll switch if and when I have no other options, until then -- screw this.


You are ignoring one thing. They are intending to increase the fps. If that happens, then the aeronautics of that your are discussing are invalid.
0

#87 User is offline   CptObvious 

  • Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 3,780
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tyndall AFB
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

Hey now, for those of us with Crosman 3357s, these companies producing fresh .50 cal paint is a godsend! Screw all the new markers, I'll stick with my 6-shooter and buy bags of that stuff.
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]
0

#88 User is offline   scubasteve186 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 127
  • Joined: 02-December 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Johnston, RI

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

anyone hear of the spyder MR4? sorry i dont feel like getting a link, but actionvillage sent me an update about it via facebook, looks similar to an ak-74.... .50 cal also in case you dont know
EDIT: got unlazy
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3742...;id=96072917017

This post has been edited by scubasteve186: 09 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

0

#89 User is offline   Iron__Man 

  • My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,814
  • Joined: 05-May 05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa FL
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

i read the first page, and all im gonna skip ahead and say is;
if it flies better and breaks the same, and cases are the same weight, then that means..... MORE AMMO FO THE DOLLA!! wOOt
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-
0

#90 User is offline   LoneWolf99 

  • Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 433
  • Joined: 27-February 06

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:47 AM

We'll see how the insurance companies react to trying to raise the FPS limit - since 300 & below has been the standard for about the last 20 years, it will be easy for them to stick to what they know - so don't expect this to just happen. .68 & .50 at 280 or 290 FPS, the .68 will win every time.
0

Share this topic:


  • (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users