#46 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:29 AM

View PostJerseyPaint, on May 21 2009, 04:46 PM, said:

View PostThe Stuntman, on May 21 2009, 05:18 PM, said:

MIA (British/SriLankan hiphop...this is the chick who won an Oscar for the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack)

MIA is so good. I just hate that every radio station on the planet overplayed Paper Airplanes, I hate even more that that's the only song everyone knows from her.

Eh, I really think MIA is a little overrated.
I liked Paper Airplanes before Pineapple Express used it, but now it's moved down because I hear it so much.

I prefer Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Diabolic, and Common for my Hip-Hop.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#47 User is offline   Thorax 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:14 AM

View PostPirate, on May 23 2009, 05:29 AM, said:

View PostJerseyPaint, on May 21 2009, 04:46 PM, said:

View PostThe Stuntman, on May 21 2009, 05:18 PM, said:

MIA (British/SriLankan hiphop...this is the chick who won an Oscar for the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack)

MIA is so good. I just hate that every radio station on the planet overplayed Paper Airplanes, I hate even more that that's the only song everyone knows from her.

I liked Paper Airplanes before Pineapple Express used it, but now it's moved down because I hear it so much.

I prefer Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Diabolic, and Common for my Hip-Hop.

If anything MIA is underrated, for the most part no one knows how good her other stuff is.

Jedi Mind Tricks, sooo legit.

I think my favorite album is GZA's Liquid Swords. Golden.

Currently I'm going through a folk-ish phase:
Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes (got this towards the end of last year, my second favorite album of 08 and introduced me to this genre)
Iron & Wine- The Shepherd's Dog
Lightspeed Champion-Falling Off the Lavender Bridge (folk sound, the lyrics not so much)
Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago

EDIT: And if anyone's wondering, my first favorite album of last year was M83's Saturdays=Youth

This post has been edited by Thorax: 24 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

#48 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

View Postcommander mike, on May 21 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

View PostHells Punisher, on May 20 2009, 11:12 PM, said:

ahh. just my topic. i play bass right now for my band(only 7th grade lol). i would definatly like to learn drums and piano. into all music, just country isnt a fav, except cash... OF COURSE!
taste of music-
rage against the machine
metallica
the stones
pantera
hendrix

everything but new hip hop and stuff(into cypress hill and DMC) and new country. fav genre is definatly classic rock

RATM is awesome.

RATM is AWESOME. Timmy C is why I play bass. They're so sick, so much energy.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#49 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

View PostThorax, on May 24 2009, 11:14 AM, said:

View PostPirate, on May 23 2009, 05:29 AM, said:

If anything MIA is underrated, for the most part no one knows how good her other stuff is.

That's exactly the problem I have. All the college kids around here (I work at a big university) "love" MIA.
But the only songs they know are Paper Airplanes, Bucky Done Gun, and one other random song (it varies, depending on which youtube link they lick -.-).
It's more of a "I'm tired of hearing the same 3 songs by someone with much better stuff that you just haven't heard".

On a side note, I am currently listening to a bunch of Lee "Scratch" Perry. Excellent Dub.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#50 User is offline   barnz 

• I'm in your fridge, eating your food...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:barnz

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

SKA!

I was always a fan of like reel big fish, mighty mighty bosstones and streetlight (seeing them again at warped tour!) but toast told me about some other bands like bomb the music industry, mustard plug, big d and the kids table (seeing them to) so ive been getting into ska in a big way. Mosly third wave, but breaking into two tone now too with like madness the specials and the toasters

besides that, im a huge pink floyd fan, and il listen to most any classic rock, and even a bit more modern stuff sometimes.

#51 User is offline   commander mike 

• the door is locked now but its open if your true - Metallica
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:commander mike

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

My friends and I are thinking of forming a rock band this summer. We will probably play some Metallica and AC/DC.
Posted Image
Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal... - The Stuntman

#52 User is offline   Lobes 

• A transient formation of smaller particles.
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Lobes

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

View PostThorax, on May 24 2009, 02:14 PM, said:

"Paper Airplanes" is a blatant ripoff of The Clash's "Straight to Hell".

I'm alright w/ sampling, but in this case her producer is obviously a twit w/ absolutely zero creativity.

#53 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ace-014

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

View Postcommander mike, on May 30 2009, 11:17 AM, said:

My friends and I are thinking of forming a rock band this summer. We will probably play some Metallica and AC/DC.

Awesome, what instrument do you play? I've been thinking about a band for about a year now, but I'm holding off on getting serious about it until I can make an upgrade in gear and some improvements in my technique on guitar and get a larger grasp on how music comes together before trying it.
Official SpecOps FC

#54 User is offline   CamoDeafie 

• LVL 0 Human class flanker-
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

am currently listening to Laibach;s Volk album.....for those who dont know them, they are from Slovenia, and basically influenced Rammstein among other bands....in industrial dance music or some such. :D
Team Black Sheep, Oregon Division
ex-gunwhore
"All at is subject to political manipulation except that which speaks the language of the same manipulation."-N.S.K./Laibach
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable " - /-wear me!?

#55 User is offline   commander mike 

• the door is locked now but its open if your true - Metallica
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:commander mike

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:32 PM

View PostAce-014, on May 30 2009, 10:53 PM, said:

View Postcommander mike, on May 30 2009, 11:17 AM, said:

Awesome, what instrument do you play? I've been thinking about a band for about a year now, but I'm holding off on getting serious about it until I can make an upgrade in gear and some improvements in my technique on guitar and get a larger grasp on how music comes together before trying it.

I'm not too good, but I can play guitar and drums. I may sing.
Posted Image
Friends dont let friends shoot .50 cal... - The Stuntman

#56 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

The singer and drummer need to be the two strongest musicians in a band in today's world I think. At least the drummer.
Maggot #53

#57 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on May 31 2009, 05:36 PM, said:

The singer and drummer need to be the two strongest musicians in a band in today's world I think. At least the drummer.

Well that's not entirely true, but a kick butt drummer is always a huge plus. The vocalist doesn't need to be too tough though.

That doesn't take from the fact that guitarist still have the hardest job in rock n roll...the ones that help make music worth listening to anyway
Official SpecOps FC

#58 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

View PostAce-014, on Jun 2 2009, 12:01 AM, said:

Well that's not entirely true, but a kick butt drummer is always a huge plus. The vocalist doesn't need to be too tough though.

That doesn't take from the fact that guitarist still have the hardest job in rock n roll...the ones that help make music worth listening to anyway

The vocalist is important because a bad vocalist can ruin everything. You need a good front man, either one who is good with the audience or one who can actually sing, regardless if you're at your high school's battle of the bands or playing in front of a sold out arena. Vocals are probably the hardest thing to fake, since it is quite obvious even to a non-musician if you're not in harmony with the rest of the band. Drummers can play simple beats, bassists can follow the guitar, and guitars can play simple licks. You really can't have watered-down vocals and sound good. Your singer doesn't need to be Freddie Mercury, but they need to "have the voice" for it at the very least.

Also, the biggest thing that separates a band's sound from "amateur" to "quality" is all about the drums and vocals. It has nothing to do with the guitar or bass. Guitarists have the hardest job, only if you want them too. Bands like Pantera, Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, Sabbath, etc. are pretty equal across the board. They didn't ride strictly on their guitarists, even though the naive ear may say otherwise.

I wish I had room for a drum set. I've been digging a lot of hip-hop and stuff lately because of the sick drum beats.

And I would argue the groove is what makes music worth listening to :D

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 01 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

Maggot #53

#59 User is offline   Ace-014 

• Back From Life (FCSN)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

View PostStealingYerMail, on Jun 1 2009, 11:13 PM, said:

View PostAce-014, on Jun 2 2009, 12:01 AM, said:

The vocalist is important because a bad vocalist can ruin everything. You need a good front man, either one who is good with the audience or one who can actually sing, regardless if you're at your high school's battle of the bands or playing in front of a sold out arena. Vocals are probably the hardest thing to fake, since it is quite obvious even to a non-musician if you're not in harmony with the rest of the band. Drummers can play simple beats, bassists can follow the guitar, and guitars can play simple licks. You really can't have watered-down vocals and sound good.

Also, the biggest thing that separates a band's sound from "amateur" to "quality" is all about the drums and vocals. It has nothing to do with the guitar or bass. Guitarists have the hardest job, only if you want them too. Bands like Pantera, Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, Sabbath, etc. are pretty equal across the board. They didn't ride strictly on their guitarists.

I wish I had room for a drum set. I've been digging a lot of hip-hop and stuff lately because of the sick drum beats.

And I would argue the groove is what makes music worth listening to :P

Oh, for a second I thought you were talking physically. Naw, in that case, I agree with you on the most part. Though I will argue that guitar plays a big part in the seperation of "amatuer" and "quality" bands. Without guitar to give you the actual flavor of a song, vocals and drums create a relatively emotionless piece of music (unless you got some sorta acapella thing goin on). I can take a drumbeat, and it'll sound like a nice drumbeat that can sound like whatever and I can bend it into 6 different moods (well I can put more, but that's a figure of speech) depending on what kind of a rhythm I play on it.

But I will agree with you a great deal. A drummer makes the foundation for a piece of music, and a kick butt drummer can make a one hell of a foundation you can play anything on. As for the vocals, I'll agree with you 9 times outta 10, that can make or break a band. No matter how great the rest of everything else is, crappy vocals can bring that all crashing down in a heartbeat. But then again, sometimes crappy vocals can still make it, I mean look at Linkin Park....
Official SpecOps FC

#60 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:41 PM

The thing is, the guitarist does not to be playing solo after solo to give the song flavor. That is what I'm saying. A good guitarist can take a backseat and still alter the song's "flavor" although most of a song's aggression or anger comes more from the drummer than anyone else.

A good way to think of music is as a cake.

The drums are the foundation, everything relates to the drums.
The bass is the next layer, and syncs harmony with rhythm, and the guitar always relates to the bass.
The guitar and vocals and all of that are the final layer, and they add to the song like you said, sort of changing the flavor. They're like the icing.

Not to say instrument X is not important, but the guitarist doesn't have the most important job, at all. It is in the eye of the beholder to some extent, but not that much. To get a good sound as a band, you need to play as a band, and it is that simple. But take a look for yourself -- check out some local band's Myspaces. The ones that sound better will either have better drummers than the others, or drummers who actually sound good on a recording.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 01 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

Maggot #53

Share this topic:

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic