Special Ops Paintball: Games put on by the Urban Guard/Team Fireproof - Special Ops Paintball

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Games put on by the Urban Guard/Team Fireproof Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JKR 

• My presence foretells death...I am Wraith
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WRAITH_

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

I decided to start a new thread to chronicle the great times to be had playing games hosted by the Urban Guard and/or Team Fireproof, centered around the Newark, OH area.

Many of the same group that gather at these games also attend the Glouster, OH games put on by Thumper63. Yesterday's games in Newark were a good time as always. I am pretty tired today but I feel it was well worth the approximately 5 hours of drive/ride time to and from the game. The turnout yesterday was superb and I don't think anyone went away that didn't have a great time. If only someone could make that hill going down to the field keep from getting steeper as the day goes on! :laugh:

Shadowjackal, Frodo, Thumper63, shalehillslayer, scoobshagg, asphyxiateheart, Godsdog, Jinx, and about twenty others were in attendance. We played some flag games, elimination games, a zombie game (I hate you undead scum!) and some attack and defend games in the thick underbrush near Dayton Rd.

Thanks especially goes out to Tim, Rich, and Jack for keeping the games going and putting the effort into making it a safe and enjoyable day! Oh, and Luke - thanks for hauling me around, my friend.
AIRGUN DESIGNS
"Because quality shoots straight...always"

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/feedbac....html#post91505

#2 User is offline   Thumper63 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Thumper63

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:19 AM

I haven't had that much fun with my clothes on in a long time. I look forward to the next game by the U.G. and thanks for the company J.K.R. Thumper (sore)OUT>
So what.. I know my gun is older than my kid, at least they both can vote.

#3 User is offline   Frodo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frodo17

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

I feel twenty years older today but it was all worth it! Great time and good people as usual in Newark yesterday made for a very good day of paintball (bruises and sore muscles aside). Scoobshagg and Frodo were able to shoot through our old winter paint so we are definatley ready for some good spring games...ahh warm weather :laugh:

Jack and Tim good job in organizing, reffing, and hosting the event yesterday. Very well done as always.

Andrew, sorry to say this, but I am not a big fan of Zombie games :blush: With 30 paintballers running around it was almost impossible to tell who was friend and who was foe. Oh, and to my mates who were with me on top of Hamburger Hill: Good plan but poor execution. Boy did we get our butts handed to us!! A much different outcome from out at Billy's place last Spring when 6 of us held off about 16 attackers. But a good learning experience in the end.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

...and once again my nemisis the Wraith got little Frodo...

Frodo out :panzer:
"Ideals are better than ideologies." Antebi

"It is not, however, a question of what we would like but of what we can have." Ruppin

"I am misanthropos, and hate mankind, For thy part I do wish thou wert a dog, That I might love thee something." (W.Shakespeare, Timon of Athens, iv. 3, 52)

#4 User is offline   Shadowjackal 

• Accuracy through Volume of Fire!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadowjackal

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

What a great day of play! Great crew, everyone was top-notch as always! Other than Res'Q twisting his knee, everything went smoothly. JKR, thanks so much for getting my Mag up and running! It was great to have it in hand again! Everyone, please tell me what you liked and disliked so that we can continue to improve the game. I think we need to push the boundaries out more, but, until we have the land owner show us his property line we really cannot do that safely! Don't want to trespass!!! What kind of games do you folks want to play out there next time? I have a neat scenario game called Trophy Hunter that might be fun... Frodo at least JKR was on the opposite team when he shot you! That man is too freakin' accurate for my good...
Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

Automags: Because only the best will do!

#5 User is offline   Thumper63 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

Yeah Frodo, speakin of fraggin people.................................... :aah:

#6 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

View PostShadowjackal, on Mar 16 2009, 10:21 AM, said:

What a great day of play! Great crew, everyone was top-notch as always! Other than Res'Q twisting his knee, everything went smoothly. JKR, thanks so much for getting my Mag up and running! It was great to have it in hand again! Everyone, please tell me what you liked and disliked so that we can continue to improve the game. I think we need to push the boundaries out more, but, until we have the land owner show us his property line we really cannot do that safely! Don't want to trespass!!! What kind of games do you folks want to play out there next time? I have a neat scenario game called Trophy Hunter that might be fun... Frodo at least JKR was on the opposite team when he shot you! That man is too freakin' accurate for my good...

I guess maybe we should start putting ribbon on the tops of our heads too. I saw a melon rise up from over the hill in the direction our team was shooting and well...whoops, sorry about that Shadowjackal! You are welcome on your 'Mag and you can keep that Minimag body as long as you want.

I felt for the number of people that we have that we do need to push the boundaries out farther. I think the back boundary (against the hill opposite the cabin) needs to be more clearly defined and pushed back, especially when we have about thirty of us playing. Although I like the idea of a timed game so the ones shot out early aren't sitting around forever, I think the games should be increased from 20 minute games to 30 minute games at this particular field. We might even need longer times if we go with reinsertion and objective based games. And I agree with Frodo on the zombie games - not a big fan either.

Although it may be a bit overdone for some, I think a downed pilot game might be fun. One team starts at a location (downed aircraft) with a willing volunteer representing the pilot and protects and moves the him/her unknown (by the opposing force) extraction point. Two players must physically help the injured pilot (can be anyone on the team and can rotate) while the remaining force provides support. The team searching for the resue team will start from the staging area in a location that the cannot view the field (behind the cabin for instance). They will be given the location of the downed aircraft by radio five minutes into the game. If the rescue team reaches the extraction point, they sound a horn to win the game. I think this would be best done on the Newark Dayton Rd field when full foliage is in.

I'll see if I can think up any others, especially if it involves the abuse and endangerment of hobbits! :P
AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

#7 User is offline   scoobshagg 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

I had a great day of play on Sunday, good numbers, good games. All in all I had a blast, so much so that I'm still feeling the effects of the games that were played. I really like the field and think it hold good potential for even better games if that's at all possible considering the great fun that we are already having out there. It was also nice to meet new players and see how others players play this great sport.

As far as constructive criticism for the field and the game play of the day goes, I would have to say that I felt that the field did need to be bigger. But I also understand that if you don't know where property boundaries are that's completely understandable. With the number of people that we had there another chrono would have been nice just to move the initial start of the day along. If we do zombies again then there needs to be a change as to where zombies reinsert I think that would solve some of the issues that we saw on Sunday. I also do think that while the under brush on this field is great I also think it's a hinderance as well. I bet that if we spent a few hours we could take care of some of the more anoying thorn bushes that may be giving some of us problems.

Again I want to say that I had a great day of play, and really had a blast. I can't wait until the next Newark game to go out there that the same field and play it all again. What a fun time I had, and I know that it's only going to get better.

Tim

#8 User is offline   Shadowjackal 

• PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

Thanks, Everyone for the great ideas. Here is what I am hearing:

1. Push the boundaries out. Especially rear boundary. We are going to actively work on this. Hopefully, will be done by next game.

2. I LOVE downed pilot games. Plan on having a downed pilots game next time! Pilot has limited ammo...

3. More Chronos! This is always a problem and should not be. I have a handheld and JKR has a bench unit, plus Jinx's red unit. We will have three next time! (If JKR is willing to bring his)

4. An increase of game time is not a problem!

5. I want to mix the teams up more - i.e. Draw colored balls... With provisions for teams to play together. Let me know what you think.

6. Underbrush - Not our land, not sure if we could do this... I would like to though...

7. Clear rules for re-insertion points, boundaries and game objectives.

This is what I have so far. Let me know of any other ideas. Perhaps using GPS units to locate Pilot? Black Box?

Unfortunately, Hobbit-bashing is not allowed due to the SFTH & the FFF... (Society for the Fair Treatment of Hobbits) (Furry Feet Faction)

This post has been edited by Shadowjackal: 17 March 2009 - 08:01 AM

Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

#9 User is offline   Frodo 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frodo17

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

I agree with Scoobshagg that Zombie can work with a simpler more defined approach. We played it at Splatterpark and it was done rather well. About 5 zombies started in a fort (reinsertion point) and one was a head zombie against about 15 humans. The head zombie (could only die from a head shot) wore a bright safety vest and the normal zombies wore team arm bands. When a human died he went to the fort, put on a arm band, and reinserted himself from that location as a normal zombie. If the head zombie or normal zombie was killed he/she was out of the game. Simple enough so that you knew where the enemy was coming from, teams were marked clearly, and the humans had a decent chance of winning by either eliminating all zombies or by taking the fort/spawn point. With this you need no time limit as the game will usually run it's course in 20 to 30 minutes if not sooner but you could apply one to the humans and it wouldn't hurt this scenario at all. We humans won that day and the refs informed us that the zombies normaly win, a point to keep in mind for balancing the teams in the future.

I like the downed pilot idea. It would definatley work best on a slightely larger field but a lot of potential in this scenario.

ShadowJackal,

I agree with the previous critiques that the boundries coulda been more defined and pushed back a little further but I also understand the current situation.

Team selection by chance or by choice doesn't bother me as long as the teams end up being balanced. Our main goal is to have fun and balanced play always adds to this. I understand some teams/friends want to stick together so I will support either method as long as play remains fair.

I also like how Thumper gives the option for full-auto if each team has the same #. This is an idea to explore as company's usually had a heavy gun squad (HMG Team). Also best to keep it limited to just a few so the games don't turn into speedball type shooting fests and so that the semi's and pumps can still have fun as well. Just an idea.

Less down time between matches is something to shoot for as well. This is something we all could have helped to push. Maybe when the ref came in he would set an alarm or timer for 5 to 10 minutes or something. I can just bring a whistle or blow-horn and help out myself!

These are just some thoughts. These critiques take nothing away from the fact that I had a blast and as long as we have good honest players than it will be fun and enjoyable.

Btw, Frodo is armed and has an armed Fellowship as well. So bring on the Frodo bashing!! (I think Jack's pocket-knife is longer than Frodo's actual sword!)

Frodo out :)

pss: That's the last time we see Thumper advance in front of little Frodo. Same team or not! (silly Zombie game...)

This post has been edited by Frodo: 18 March 2009 - 06:18 AM

"Ideals are better than ideologies." Antebi

"It is not, however, a question of what we would like but of what we can have." Ruppin

"I am misanthropos, and hate mankind, For thy part I do wish thou wert a dog, That I might love thee something." (W.Shakespeare, Timon of Athens, iv. 3, 52)

#10 User is offline   shalehillslayer 

• the shale hill slayer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:shalehillslayer

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:56 AM

I think the trophy hunter game's fun but it gets crazy, there will probably be 10 times more chaos than our zombie game, just speaking from experience of doing it at smart start.
hockingpaintball.blogspot.com

#11 User is offline   Thumper63 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Oh no, Thumper will advance, though he is hard to distinguish since he was THE ONLY PUMP on the field that day. Also on the switch over games (Zombie) I'm gonna try to make a velcro strap for tearing off or changing team colors. Thumper OUT>

#12 User is offline   JKR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:25 PM

View PostThumper63, on Mar 17 2009, 05:22 PM, said:

Oh no, Thumper will advance, though he is hard to distinguish since he was THE ONLY PUMP on the field that day. Also on the switch over games (Zombie) I'm gonna try to make a velcro strap for tearing off or changing team colors. Thumper OUT>

Hmmm...

That look you gave me at the truck first thing when you saw me pull out the Automag in combination with THE ALL CAPS comment above, leads me to think that someone feels that I let down the pump brotherhood! :dodgy:

And Shadowjackal, I'll start bringing the chrono to every game...just need to put it in the travel box and leave it there. Glad to help anyway that I can.
AIRGUN DESIGNS

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

-- George Washington

#13 User is offline   scoobshagg 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

Any word on when/where we can take a look at toughs pictures that were taken that day. I personally don't have very many pic of myself playing paintball and would like some more.

Tim

#14 User is offline   EL TORO 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Godsdog

Post icon  Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:42 AM

View Postscoobshagg, on Mar 18 2009, 12:30 AM, said:

Any word on when/where we can take a look at toughs pictures that were taken that day. I personally don't have very many pic of myself playing paintball and would like some more.

Tim

The pictures that I took at the game, 90+, can be seen on The Urban Guards Facebook page or on my Facebook page. Drop me a line if you need them another way.

#15 User is offline   Shadowjackal 

• PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:31 AM

View PostThumper63, on Mar 17 2009, 08:22 PM, said:

Luke, you were not the only pump out there! I used my Phantom (with its new Lapco barrel) several times on Sunday! The very last game we played I actually held off two yellow team members with my Phantom! Could not get an elimination, but kept them from advancing or taking me out! If they only knew that I had to reload BOTH 12 gram and paintballs, they could have steamrollered me! Very Fun and my legs are still screaming! Need to get out and walk/exercise way more... JKR, thanks for agreeing to bring your chrono! Everyone check out the pics El Toro posted on the Urban Guards facebook page; they are awesome!

Share this topic:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users