Special Ops Paintball: Swat Shields - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Swat Shields

Poll: Swat shields (140 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you want one?

1. Yes (56 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. No (34 votes [24.29%])

Percentage of vote: 24.29%

3. I would Build my own (50 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

How much would you pay for one?

1. $40 (43 votes [30.71%])

Percentage of vote: 30.71%

2. $60 (24 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

3. $80 (7 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. $100 and up (3 votes [2.14%])

Percentage of vote: 2.14%

5. I wouldn't buy one (63 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Do you think it would be fair?

1. Yes (28 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (28 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. In some Cases (explain) (34 votes [24.29%])

Percentage of vote: 24.29%

4. Only in scenario games (50 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

What should it be made of?

1. Hard Plastic (107 votes [76.43%])

Percentage of vote: 76.43%

2. Metal Alloy (14 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. other (explain) (19 votes [13.57%])

Percentage of vote: 13.57%

How much would it weigh?

1. Realistic (29 votes [20.71%])

Percentage of vote: 20.71%

2. Half Weight (31 votes [22.14%])

Percentage of vote: 22.14%

3. As light as possible (80 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote

#31 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sled_Neck270

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

View Postcallsignmars, on May 29 2009, 11:30 AM, said:

use of shields sounds fun to me, really. it would open up a new dimension to the game, not to mention make those trenches at the local field really interesting. realistically tho, it is horrifically unfair unless you change something about it to balance it out. as rules stand (at least at my local field), carried props that are hit will count as an elimination, and that obviously includes shields. now, if they were padded with neoprene or something, then that would work within this rule by making nearly every paintball a bounce while there still being a good chance at an elimination with enough volume (also opens up an interesting route in terms of "shield tagging" eliminations). either that or just make it so shield hits don't count and you just need to suck it up and flank the bejeezus out of them. or a LAWS of course.

Ya thats kinda the idea, and you could shoot them in the feet too, or their arm that was sticking out. What do you mean by LAWS?
Stupidity killed the cat, Curiosity was blamed.
Vegetarian- (adj) An old Navajo word for "Bad Hunter"
Jesus may be able to walk on water, but chuck norris can swim through dry land
Some people are alive for the simple reason that it is illegal to shoot them
My feedback My Wishlist How To Prevent Gear Theft

#32 User is offline   callsignmars 

• ANAMAL RUSH IMMINENT
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:ANAMAL

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

View PostFrozenCannuk, on Jun 10 2009, 07:36 PM, said:

use of shields sounds fun to me, really. it would open up a new dimension to the game, not to mention make those trenches at the local field really interesting. realistically tho, it is horrifically unfair unless you change something about it to balance it out. as rules stand (at least at my local field), carried props that are hit will count as an elimination, and that obviously includes shields. now, if they were padded with neoprene or something, then that would work within this rule by making nearly every paintball a bounce while there still being a good chance at an elimination with enough volume (also opens up an interesting route in terms of "shield tagging" eliminations). either that or just make it so shield hits don't count and you just need to suck it up and flank the bejeezus out of them. or a LAWS of course.

Ya thats kinda the idea, and you could shoot them in the feet too, or their arm that was sticking out. What do you mean by LAWS?

yeah, the shield would effectively count as a bunker, but obviously the same does NOT go for the player using it.
and by LAWS i mean Rocket Launcher. we call 'em LAWS at my home field from their military counterpart (Lightweight Antiarmor Weapon System). my logic there is well, if it can kill a tank, it had better be able to kill some jerk with a hunk of metal strapped to his arm

#33 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

hit the window. cant see any more lol. it would be kind of unfair, but like he said, could be taken out by a LAW. maybe this could lead to a new position like grenadier (like in the black cell vid)
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#34 User is offline   Eggmoe 

• They call me "Runs With No Pants"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Eggmoe

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

uhh... why not just buy a shield from somewhere else? I don't think specops would ever make them, they wouldnt make money.
If you want one really badly, just make one out of plexiglass

#35 User is offline   Spaceman Spiff 

• Spaceman Spiff is my hero. Thanks for the avitar Puzuma.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Minister of Destruction

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

I have played in some scenarios that allowed shields. They definitely made the game more interesting. The general rules were: 1) paintball hits to the shield do not eliminate the player 2) hits on the player or other parts of the players equipment eliminate the player 3) LAW hits elminate the player. Generally the best shields I have seen in use are just big enough to cover the torso (main part of the body) as this is generally where most breaks happen.

#36 User is offline   02subaru 

• Master Mahan
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:master mahan

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

I have actually made these so called swat shields...What I did was use a 2'x4' piece of corrugated tin roofing, cut a slot in the bottom about 2"x 1' for a gun barrel to go through and added a thin strip of foam around the bottom to protect the barrel. I also cut a viewing slot out of the top about 4" x 8" and covered it in a mesh-metal kinda like screen door material to prevent paintballs from getting through. I then made an 'I' beam style brace and handle for them by mounting a 1"x1" square piece of wood along the top and bottom and made an offset handle so the user could see through the screen. I sanded the handle round for comfort too. To make things fair I painted the shields bright red with spray paint.

For games...I had 1 shield for each side. Our field was setup with opposing force/head on style of play. A marsh in the middle with thick trees and weeds, tall grass and a trail through the middle of the cattails in the marsh. One shield could easily help fend off a frontal attack with 3 players behind the shield (in a tight line...). Only problem was you could see them coming from a mile away.

This was a great addition for my field. They looked good, had pros and cons to wielding them and made new players feel a little more comfortable. They were actually used so much that they got broken so i do not have them anymore. They were pretty light, maybe 4.5 pounds and could be used with one hand while your gun aimlessly sticks out the front. I really enjoyed using them as well as playing against them.

Take 10 bucks and build yourself some...WHY NOT!! They add a new twist to an already boring style of play.
Always looking for cheap Tippmanns and Tippmann upgrades. What do you have? PM me! Don't be shy!

I also do custom paint jobs-digi camo, tiger stripe, snow/urban camo and desert camo.

#37 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sled_Neck270

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

View Postcallsignmars, on Jun 11 2009, 08:11 PM, said:

View PostFrozenCannuk, on Jun 10 2009, 07:36 PM, said:

yeah, the shield would effectively count as a bunker, but obviously the same does NOT go for the player using it.
and by LAWS i mean Rocket Launcher. we call 'em LAWS at my home field from their military counterpart (Lightweight Antiarmor Weapon System). my logic there is well, if it can kill a tank, it had better be able to kill some jerk with a hunk of metal strapped to his arm

Lol ya you'd think so eh?
Thank Ya'll for the help, and ya i'm thinking of just buying some plywood from where i work, and cutting it up to fit. And the painting it red is a good idea, somewhat. I think I'll paint 1 with a red strip, and one with a blue one, so it's not ridiculously visible, but still not invisible, and you can tell if that shield belongs to your team.

But my ruling on this is apply the trusty Keep It Simple Stupid principle. Aka, KISS
Stupidity killed the cat, Curiosity was blamed.
Vegetarian- (adj) An old Navajo word for "Bad Hunter"
Jesus may be able to walk on water, but chuck norris can swim through dry land
Some people are alive for the simple reason that it is illegal to shoot them
My feedback My Wishlist How To Prevent Gear Theft

#38 User is offline   Anti Hero 

• Pain makes me laugh, seriously.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:λNTI-HERO

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

I feel it would be a good idea for ref's and stuff. I don't think it would be very fair in the regular game play setting.

#39 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

View PostAnti Hero, on Jul 17 2009, 07:19 PM, said:

I feel it would be a good idea for ref's and stuff. I don't think it would be very fair in the regular game play setting.

It would be fair, because a player with a shield would make a slow easy to hit target.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

#40 User is offline   Th3N3wM3ssiah 

• Shock and Awe
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Charlie Delta

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

Mobile cover= cheap all the newbies would buy them no offense to anyone

If you want it to be real. The marines are looking for a few good men. Go play with them. ~Damifino

#41 User is offline   weeebeep 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:weeebeep

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

i don't see the balancing issues here (balancing is a gaming term used for making 2 or more classes equal in overall stregnth.) obviously whoever is weilding a gigantic shield in one arm only has one hand to pick up a gun aim reload and shoot. if they had a full auto timmy it still would be a task shooting it accuratley, especialy because you would tuck your elbow in and bend your wrist to get arround the shield.

All you would need is for the shield to abide by light tank rules. I could see if someone gets hit in the window with a first strike round (or other white round) that could count as a hit. I say window because that is generaly the weak point on riot shields.

This shield however could also be used to hold a few pods (underneath the arm for ease of use) to add more ammo to the player.

Also, there is no hiding with a big shiny square riot shield. a sniper would totaly have an advantage. its just like saying having a double trouble on field is unfair. the reality is people adapt real quickly to their op force and eventualy find a way to have the upper hand. any ambush with more than one person would make minced meat out of a shield guy.

as far as special ops positions go, call him a spartan. (phalanx also works, which is the name of the shield formation the spartans would use.)

Also true, if all the noobs are gonna use the shields, isnt that better than noobs being scared to even play paintball?

#42 User is offline   mortuus intra 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:ninjaops

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

I think it would be great for tactical games
and i think it would be best if it was made out of a hard plastic or a thick Plexiglas
great for close quarters
THEY CALL ME A MYTH, A SHADOW, A FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION, THERE'S ONLY ONE THING WRONG ABOUT THAT STATEMENT I'M YOUR LIVING BREATHING NIGHTMARE

#43 User is offline   MejorQueNada 

• it is better to watch something than to do something
  • Pip

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

just got done doing a scenario game where they allowed riot shields, (thing1 and thing2) and they were actually quite effective. Kids that were about 10 or 11 had them, so it covered almost the whole body, specially when they were squatting, and it allowed for 2-3 people to come up behind them and shoot around them while on the move, or create a better bunker that had a weak side. The field said the person using the shield could not shoot their primary weapon while the shield was deployed. So, it turned out to be an exciting twist to the game IMO.
:P

#44 User is offline   pharcyde84 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:PHARCYDE84

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:50 PM

My first impression was to say that would be pretty cheap to see a guy just walking steadily twords you with a riot sheild and not have a way to stop him....But then I thought about distract and flank tatics so Im all for it! I think it would add another tatical element to the game.

#45 User is offline   hawkfire999 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:hawkfire999

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

The refs at my field sometimes use small sleds as shields, especially the circular ones. They just screw some pieces of a belt onto the inside side. The plastic is strong enough to withstand multiple rapid hits. The only down side is that you can't get many bounces with them. If you covered them with some soundproofing material or neoprene you could have a very effective, and field legal, shield. It's also just large enough to cover your body when crouching but not so large that it's impossible to get out with it..Seems like it'd be a lot of fun if you used a pistol with it.

Attached File(s)

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users