Special Ops Paintball: Swat Shields - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Swat Shields

Poll: Swat shields (140 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you want one?

1. Yes (56 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. No (34 votes [24.29%])

Percentage of vote: 24.29%

3. I would Build my own (50 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

How much would you pay for one?

1. $40 (43 votes [30.71%])

Percentage of vote: 30.71%

2. $60 (24 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

3. $80 (7 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. $100 and up (3 votes [2.14%])

Percentage of vote: 2.14%

5. I wouldn't buy one (63 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

Do you think it would be fair?

1. Yes (28 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (28 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. In some Cases (explain) (34 votes [24.29%])

Percentage of vote: 24.29%

4. Only in scenario games (50 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

What should it be made of?

1. Hard Plastic (107 votes [76.43%])

Percentage of vote: 76.43%

2. Metal Alloy (14 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. other (explain) (19 votes [13.57%])

Percentage of vote: 13.57%

How much would it weigh?

1. Realistic (29 votes [20.71%])

Percentage of vote: 20.71%

2. Half Weight (31 votes [22.14%])

Percentage of vote: 22.14%

3. As light as possible (80 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote

#16 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Sled_Neck270

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

View PostFirstTarget, on Mar 10 2009, 07:52 AM, said:

Handles: for hand a u shaped door handle for control. For forearm a simple rope loop. I got my drum from a place that uses food quality drums for the sauce mixes they use. Only $5.00 each. Then a saw to fit to size.

Only thing i found so far is steel 45's. I was thinking since it's metal it wouldn't be to hard to just cut a drum in 3 piece, 2 for the shields, and use the leftover material to make the shield taller, and flatten it out a little so there's more to hide behind.

The drum materials is designed to resist deforming or cracking. Shelf strength Plexiglas is not the same . Plexiglas can crack and splinter on impacts, i.e. falling on a rock, running into a wall. Steel is heavier and edges can be very sharp. Also if a person hit the edge they can be seriously injured. Yes any shield can cause injuries, but the risk can be reduced.

Well i found some nice flexible stuff, cause i kept rolling my sled and couldn't afford new windshields, so it just bends instead. Well i'll just file the sharp edges down and put something soft and rubbery over them. And well i think if someone is dumb enough to run into a shield, then it's their own fault. Unless someone was trying to hurt someone, but no one is going to stand for that, he'll be a multi-coloured canvas before he gets into his car to run away :D

I am 6'2", over200 lbs. 55 galleon is big enough. Just ask around for food grade drum.

Ya i've been looking around, not looking that great, it's a small town, so theres not too many places to look. Dump is next though... :wacko:

And On the fairness issue, theres so many ways you can beat a shield, shoot his hand, shoot his legs, and if he's crouching behind it, shoot the window so he can't see, then flank him, and if he runs outta ammo he's probably done. 2 people can take a shield, but it depends if he has back up.

This post has been edited by FrozenCannuk: 12 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

Stupidity killed the cat, Curiosity was blamed.
Vegetarian- (adj) An old Navajo word for "Bad Hunter"
Jesus may be able to walk on water, but chuck norris can swim through dry land
Some people are alive for the simple reason that it is illegal to shoot them
My feedback My Wishlist How To Prevent Gear Theft

#17 User is offline   Justdizy 

• The one called Dizzy
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:justdizy

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

YES! 300 scenario! we are thinking about doing this at our local field Command Paintball. Put like 10 of your best players with pumps and swat shields against 20 or 30 or more of your less experienced players with whatever marker they want. Give the spartans the "uphill" advantage and let them try to hold off the atackers. constant respawns! makes for a good game.

This post has been edited by Justdizy: 13 March 2009 - 12:08 AM

Your mom loves me!

#18 User is offline   mop head paintballa 

• no more mops,just dreads!!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:heelnipper

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

i probably wouldn't buy one but i would use it. maybe for a game with one person vs. everyone else and you can only get said person out with a head shot the shield would make things much more challenging.
the one who fights with onions and tear gas when either one would do fine.

#19 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

View PostJustdizy, on Mar 13 2009, 12:06 AM, said:

YES! 300 scenario! we are thinking about doing this at our local field Command Paintball. Put like 10 of your best players with pumps and swat shields against 20 or 30 or more of your less experienced players with whatever marker they want. Give the spartans the "uphill" advantage and let them try to hold off the atackers. constant respawns! makes for a good game.

Uh... Does sound pretty fun, just one problem, how would they hold the swat shield if they had to pump their guns, and vice versa?

#20 User is offline   betasniper 

• A four dimensional object
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:betasniper

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

You can pump with one hand can't you? ;) (male joke)

That may be a problem with pump and shields. Use shield to pump the handle?
Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..

#21 User is offline   Ry and Raft 

• That dude in the Punisher shirt
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:xarchxangelx

Posted 13 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

From what I recall, when I first started playing (circa '04) I seen scenario shields advertised. They were clear and similar to Riot shields.
Task Force 68 | Michigan Wraith Battalion CO

#22 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

View Postbetasniper, on Mar 13 2009, 08:58 PM, said:

You can pump with one hand can't you? :ghillie: (male joke)

that could work, either cut a notch, or weld/rivet/whatever-works-for-you a bracket on the side, would take some skill to use though, that could be fun actually.

Thanks Ry, that helps, but i wouldn't go with a clear one, cause they can see you just as easily as you can see them, and that could be problematic if your behind the shield and have to reload, but could always paint it. As long as it would be cheap it would be easier than using metal (which seems like what i'm gunna have to do...)

#23 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

Ok this is looking very sketchy, i still haven't found any plastic drums big enough... but theres still a few places left, and i know this is a bad idea, and i'll use it as a last resort, but i got an old rusty gas tank... it hasn't held fuel in 10 years, and i talked to a couple people, one said use hydrogen to force it out, one said use steam. Now what i need to know is how can i cut this or prepare it so i can cut it, so i walk away with all my fingers and toes. :blush:

Edit: Spelling

This post has been edited by FrozenCannuk: 05 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

#24 User is offline   Unkel Fester 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Unkel Fester

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

View PostFrozenCannuk, on Mar 15 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

You can pump with one hand can't you? :blush: (male joke)

that could work, either cut a notch, or weld/rivet/whatever-works-for-you a bracket on the side, would take some skill to use though, that could be fun actually.

Thanks Ry, that helps, but i wouldn't go with a clear one, cause they can see you just as easily as you can see them, and that could be problematic if your behind the shield and have to reload, but could always paint it. As long as it would be cheap it would be easier than using metal (which seems like what i'm gunna have to do...)

No, you go completely John Wayne. Toss the gun a couple inches in the air, catch it by the pump, pump it, toss it again, catch it by the grip, and fire. Repeat as necessary, or until you drop your gun and break it.

#25 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

View PostUnkel Fester, on Apr 5 2009, 12:34 PM, said:

View PostFrozenCannuk, on Mar 15 2009, 04:20 PM, said:

You can pump with one hand can't you? :dodgy: (male joke)

No, you go completely John Wayne. Toss the gun a couple inches in the air, catch it by the pump, pump it, toss it again, catch it by the grip, and fire. Repeat as necessary, or until you drop your gun and break it.

lol i like the way you think.

#26 User is offline   Chance Gray 

• Urban Chaos Founder
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Chance Gray

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

No, see, if you want a good shield that would work, make one that you could carry like a riot shield, but make it to where it has supports to hold it up if you were to set it on the ground. (Think Gears of War 2 Boomshield planting... eh?)

This post has been edited by Chance Gray: 06 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

Chance Gray
Sabre/Broadsword
Urban Chaos Designation: Delta 2-1

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=167797

#27 User is offline   kicking goose 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Kicking Goose

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

i think a shield would be a nice addition but for it to be successfully utilized you'd need like a limit of how many times it can be hit before it'd be "useless" in that round, or you'd just considered out after say 10 shots to the shield.

#28 User is offline   callsignmars 

• ANAMAL RUSH IMMINENT
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:ANAMAL

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

use of shields sounds fun to me, really. it would open up a new dimension to the game, not to mention make those trenches at the local field really interesting. realistically tho, it is horrifically unfair unless you change something about it to balance it out. as rules stand (at least at my local field), carried props that are hit will count as an elimination, and that obviously includes shields. now, if they were padded with neoprene or something, then that would work within this rule by making nearly every paintball a bounce while there still being a good chance at an elimination with enough volume (also opens up an interesting route in terms of "shield tagging" eliminations). either that or just make it so shield hits don't count and you just need to suck it up and flank the bejeezus out of them. or a LAWS of course.

#29 User is offline   InvertedArms 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Foxtrot

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:04 AM

If fields were to allow it, I would limit the person to use a pistol like counter strike.

#30 User is offline   TheEnd 

• I am the who when you call "Who's there?"
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheFear07

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

View PostRy and Raft, on Mar 13 2009, 11:25 PM, said:

From what I recall, when I first started playing (circa '04) I seen scenario shields advertised. They were clear and similar to Riot shields.

Correct, JT made them a few years ago. The main problem with a shield is that since it is a piece of equipment, if it takes a hit then you are out. Essentially you are restricting your movements with a big cumbersome shield, and it also makes a big target. This idea could work on a private field with special rules, however on an actual field it would be utterly useless.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.- Emo Philips
I don't drink these days. I'm allergic to alcohol and narcotics. I break out in handcuffs. Robert Downey Junior
Now and then I announce "I know you're listening to empty rooms". If I'm wrong then no one knows, and if I'm right, Maybe I just freaked the hell out of some secret organization.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users